Time To Try Again: New Adventure Time Game Announced

By Alice O'Connor on May 9th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

A boy and his dog.

Once upon a time, one could simply whisper the words “Adventure Time video game” and need to curl up into a ball to have any hope of surviving the crushing crowd of fans crying “Mathematical!” and “Algebraic!” in attempts to will such a fantastic gameological creature into existence. Then Adventure Time: Finn and Jake’s Epic Quest and Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! came out and were, you know, so-so. Is the excitement still there? Do you still believe? Do you have hope? Let’s see. Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom has been announced.

Hm. As I am no more mangled and warped than any other Friday, I assume that you still like the idea of a video game set in the cartoon world but will no longer express blind optimism, waiting cautiously for any indication that it’ll be good. Let’s see what we can do about that.

It’s described as a “classic top-down action adventure experience” with a “puzzle-solving element,” said to be “reminiscent of early high fantasy console games.” The series name which publishers Little Orbit are carefully dancing around in the press release is ‘The Legend of Zelda,’ I’d wager. It’s being made by DuckTales: Remastered and Double Dragon Neon developers WayForward, their third Adventure Time game following Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! and the handheld Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!. Both of which were, you know, so-so.

What else? Well, it’s set in a new kingdom never seen before, with new characters and monsters. New Adventure Time things, that’s something, right? Let’s see, let’s see… nope, that’s about it. Nary a trailer nor a screenshot. The announcement did include that artwork up there, in case you’d forgotten what Jake and Finn look like.

It’s due in November. It’s okay if you are excited. Don’t become like me.

, , , , , .

1. SkittleDiddler says:

I want an Adventure Time RPG. I desperately want to play Peppermint Butler as a necromancer/demonologist and raise demons and undead to obliterate my opponents on the field of battle.

Peppermint is one twisted character.

• The Army of None says:

I just aspire to play as Cinnamon Bun and call it good.

2. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

After Explore the Dungeon I would be welcoming another so-so, because that one definitely wasn’t even that.

• Stardreamer says:

Bit harsh, I feel.

Ok, it was a incredibly simple game in concept but what it did do paid more attention to it’s source material than many previous efforts did.

3. Premium User Badge lowprices says:

At this point Adventure Time games are like Sonic games: expect them to be awful, so if one turns out to be not bad you can feel pleasantly surprised.

4. frightlever says:

I’ll wait for this to come out on BMO.

Hahaha.

That ARPG they did is still about thirty quid on Steam. I don’t really care if it’s bad, I just want to play it, but ideally for under a fiver.

How they consistently manage to alternate episodes that either make me weepy or bust a gut laughing, I do not know. In ten minutes!

Oh, just saw this on the AT Steam Forum:

They’re making an RPG “inspired” by AT and there’s a pre-alpha demo available. Just passing this along, haven’t looked at it.

• The Army of None says:

I didn’t know the guy from Metro2033 had time to develop games!

5. natedynamic says:

I’m already like you.
    Sigh.
    My gut says this is going to be awful. Epic Quest had a small tidbit of potential to be a much better game than it was, but both of the others were just bad. I feel like Pendleton Ward should have taken more care with the creative licensing of spin-off products, since the show is one of the greatest animated works of all time. Yeah, I’m serious. I feel like the license deserves Batman: Arkham series-level treatment.
    Not making any bets on that ever happening, though.

• MojaveMusic says:

Pendleton Ward doesn’t actually have any say over who gets the licensing rights to Adventure Time, the show (and all of its constituent parts) are owned by Cartoon Network as a corporation, and unfortunately, they tend to be rather un-picky about who they license their stuff to.

6. Shieldmaiden says:

I want to see an Adventure Time game that is something like South Park: The Stick of Truth. The combat needed better balancing, and JRPG-style real isn’t my thing anyway, but otherwise it’s pretty much the textbook example of how to handle licensed games. Who doesn’t want to make an AT version of themselves and hang out with Finn and Jake?

• strangeloup says:

Read “hang out” as “make out”; proposed game still worked, just a slightly different target audience.

• Juan Carlo says:

This was exactly my thought. If the creators and writers actually got behind the game and designed it from the ground up along with a studio, the game could be awesome as Adventure Time has a universe that practically screams to have a video game made of it. So many of the show’s characters and episode premises owe a huge debt to RPG concepts anyway.

• jarowdowsky says:

Ah, you beat me to it – yeah Stick of Truth might be the game that really opens up what’s possible with a comic book adaptation. Mind you the animation is considerably more complex on Adventure Time so I wonder if something a little closer to Lucasarts meets Street Fighter might work better.

If there’s one good thing to come out of the latest Amnesia Fortnight, let’s hope it’s Pendelton Ward getting excited about the idea of making a great AT game.

7. JohnnyPanzer says:

I hope it includes crafting! I want to spend my time in the game crafting bacon pancaces, makin’ bacon pancaces, take some bacon and put in a pancake. Bacon pancaces, that’s what I wanna make. Bacon pancaaaaaaaaakes!

• Ross Angus says:

Yes, that’s all well and good, but what are the required ingredients of bacon pancakes?

• Premium User Badge lowprices says:

90 units of pancake ore, and the hides of 6 Bacon Beasts. Requires the “Infernal Frying Pan” and “Dire Stove” items to craft.

• vivlo says:

there’s a lot more ingredients for the Everything Burrito.

• JohnnyPanzer says:

I bow to all of you. That’s what happens when you try to be funy: more people come along and are way funnier. This party is AWESOME!

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

Spaghetti is way easier. Just smash through the table, snap all the spaghetti into the boiling water, knock the boiling water onto the floor, punch the tomatoes into the ground / your face, then blow up your arm. Serves two.

8. Premium User Badge DrScuttles says:

I want to believe.

9. Aethelwulf says:

Pendleton was at Double Fine, why did nobody just burst in with an AK and demand they make a game together? When we needed you most America where were you? Don’t dare play the San Fran hippy card.

• natedynamic says:

This is one of my favorite comments of all time. Just sayin’.

I shall now dedicate my life to making you and Patton Oswalt a Popular Culture Repair Time Marchine.

10. CrazedIvan says:

I want a Adventure Time game that is as big and fun as Skyrim was.

11. Frank says:

Top down Zelda — best game genre ever
    Adventure Time — best thing on cable

Damn right I’m excited.

12. Lemming says:

I think they had the right idea with a hack n slash, but it needs to be more 2D, not 3D to have the same charm as the show. It could easily sit alongside Simpsons: Hit and Run and South Park: The Stick of Truth for ‘shows to games done right’.

13. Jody Macgregor says:

The mobile game Ski Safari: Adventure Time is the gold standard for games about Finn and Jake so far.