Clubbing With Nick Cave: No Wave

By Adam Smith on May 14th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

The pill is disintegrating, lodged in my throat like a swollen seed, sprouting dry and ticklish as it reaches back toward tongue and lips. I need a drink, to sluice it out, wash it down and carry myself away. The lights pulse like a migraine and the music is a song I recognise. Stumbling toward the stage, I grab at the singer, trying to tell him that I know the lyrics and how important it is that I know the lyrics, trying to drink him dry. And then it hits me – I just invaded Nick Cave’s personal space.

No Wave is short, free and noisy.

The setting is a club in New York. It’s the eighties and an ocean of noise has been sucked into the tides of the Hudson River to lap at the streets and the dark subtarranean rooms of the city. Every night seems to end in disappointment and if you don’t enjoy the music, there’s not much point in sticking around, but there’s something wonderful and chilling about this moment frozen in time.

This little treat is the work of Dorian SRed and bandmate Trevor Reveur/Waveland, who are currently working on an “adventure and Social Science Fiction story”, as well as composing the music for cybercorp simulator Advertcity. I’d planned to listen to Larry Heard all day while remembering aliens and the folks who imagine them but I’ve ended up with No Wave commandeering a tab in my browser and I don’t feel right clicking ‘x’.

Nauseating and unnerving as the experience sometimes is (and in the game), I’d quite like to lose myself in music, lights and strangers right about now.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. cerealbox says:

I thought you died in the late 1700s.

2. BobMoron says:

Hey, Trevor Reveur is a friend from work! I think he’s pretty baffled by the sheer existence of an RPS article mentioning their game.

3. DrScuttles says:

Who can blame Adam for wanting to touch Nick Cave… I met him at ATP a few years ago and just couldn’t help touching him. And I hate touching.
    The whole experience was rather like this. Finding myself locked in a repeating cycle of similar events; different bands playing different music in the same spaces at different times. Wandering around, making a tit of myself in front of strangers, trying again later. Existential crisis at the urinal.
    Only difference being it was in a Butlins in the 00′s.

• Docm30 says:

Nick Cave once grabbed me. True story.

• noom says:

This sounds muchly like my own experiences of ATP festivals in the 00s, only without the Nick Cave touching. Plenty of embarassing myself though; dancing around like a drugged-up lunatic to Buzzcocks and sweating so much during a Lightning Bolt set that I looked like I’d pissed myself were highlights.

4. rexx.sabotage says:

I’m a little cheesed that I had to install something that I’m probably never, ever going to use again but, it was mostly worth it.

I need some more -Red candy

5. Chuckleluck says:

Change one letter and it’s Nick Cage…so much wasted potential.

• Olydark says:

Nick Cave has more talent in his little finger than…….oh, nevermind.

• The Random One says:

Nick Cage keeps almost all of his talent in his uvula.