Super Street Fighter IV Ditching Games For Windows Live

By Graham Smith on May 28th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

This image is a metaphor. I'll let you work it out for yourself though.

SSFIVAE is breaking free from GFWL! What does that mean? It means that Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition is snapping the shackles of Games For Windows Live and switching to Steamworks this coming Friday.

This is good news, because Games For Windows Live may soon vanish (though given this is Microsoft, it’s not quite that simple) and it’s not yet clear which games will make the transition to other multiplayer-enabling services. Unfortunately there’s also some bad news for people who bought SSFIVAE DLC through GFWL.

It’s a good day for people who love acronyms. Or GDFPWLA, as we like to call it.

Writing on the official Capcom Street Fighter blog, the company explained how the switch would affect different users. If you bought the game through Steam already, you’ve got the easiest situation: your game will update to the new version automatically, and all your currently owned content will be maintained.

If you bought the game on disc, like a person from the past/an area without great internet, your existing CD key will now be accepted by Steam and you’ll be able to download the latest version of the game from there.

Unfortunately, if you’re one of the latter group, any DLC you purchased through Games for Windows Live won’t be transferred across to Steam, which means you might stand to lose some of the goods you’ve paid for.

While that’s obviously a pain, it’s good to know older entries of the series won’t stop working or be abandoned completely should Microsoft decide to pull the plug on their most maligned service. There are full instructions for how to get the new version when it arrives May 30th over at the post.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ross Angus says:

GG.

2. Philomelle says:

That’s an odd thing to report now. Sure, they finally expanded on how the move affects users, but their intent to move SSF4 to Steamworks has been known as long ago as February.

And it’s still not enough if you ask me. Street Fighter X Tekken, Dark Void, Dead Rising 2 (both versions), Lost Planet 1-2, Resident Evil 5 and Operation Raccoon City have all been basically abandoned. Sure, you could argue that ORC’s development team went bankrupt and disbanded after wasting their royalties from developing their game on making Windows Phone 8 titles, but the rest of those titles were built in-house. There is really no excuse to simply ditch them.

• Eight Rooks says:

Come now -

There is really no excuse to simply ditch them

- of course there is. They’re simply not profitable enough any more to warrant rebuilding their online infrastructure. Might not be an excuse you want to hear, or one that’s particularly consumer-friendly, but it’s still an excuse.

• Lemming says:

I’m inclined to agree with you broadly, but the PC market isn’t stuck in the present like the console market is. Timed with a decent sale, there’s no reason they wouldn’t actually make a tidy profit on any updates for old games like this, and it’s less overhead than making a new game.

• Philomelle says:

Pretty much this.

The most common complaints relating to online functions of all these games is that GFWL’s poor design makes the multiplayer for those games really tiresome to use. ORC is the one that suffered from that the most, given that the game is basically a Resident Evil-themed Left 4 Dead and GFWL interfered with its primary function of quick co-op. Announce that you fixed multiplayer for these games by removing GFWL and a lot of people will happily gobble those games up on sale.

Also, Eight Rooks really underestimates how many people on Steam are reduced to starved flailing zombies at the very mention of “Now with Steamworks achievements and trading cards!”.

• Eight Rooks says:

I still have my doubts that “a lot” would be enough for Capcom, but at the same time – heh, yes, I do tend to forget that the PC market goes crazy over cheevos and the like now, too.

• Philomelle says:

If it helps, I’ve been surprised by that too until recently. Every single time a game pops up on Steam and you check the forum, you’ll find a 20-page thread of people slobbering about how they won’t buy it unless it has trading cards.

It’s bizarre to me. I do collect Steam trading cards, but I do so very casually and with a self-imposed limit on how much I’m willing to spend on them. People who act like they make or break the game are confusing.

• Vagrant says:

Actually, it’s been known for months that the new Ultra Street Fighter 4 was going to be Steamworks, but they have only now announced that SSF4:AE2012 (for PWLA) is going to move to Steamworks. This is important because that would have left street fighters with about 2 months without any way to play online.

• Philomelle says:

Really? Because Joystiq made an article four months ago where they listed all games that made use of GFWL, then reached out to publishers and developers behind them. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition was already listed as migrating to Steamworks at the time.

Here, check this out. I’m still using that article as a list for GFWL games so I can methodically beat them before GFWL dies and fucks them over.

• Wedge says:

Considering you can simply upgrade to Ultra as DLC for AE, we pretty well knew that AE was getting transitioned to Steamworks.

3. SkittleDiddler says:

Still no GfWL-fixing love for those of us who own Regular Average Street Fighter IV The First? Fuck you very much, Crapcom.

• yonsito says:

They already lost me when the expected me to pay extra for the “super” a few month later.

And I remember being quite annoyed with DR2, too. I think the only way to get the (much needed) patch was registering the game online from GFWL. The “bug fix distribution as an anti-piracy measure” tactic is something Microsoft has been accused of doing.

But with GFWL, I think the blame lies squarely with Microsoft. They goaded developers and publishers into using the service, just to drop it later on a whim because of what? Strategic realignment?

• drewski says:

There is, to be fair, not yet any official indication from Microsoft that they are dropping GfWL.

Although I’m sure they will eventually.

• benkc says:

Aside, but: is it at all possible to play DR2 without GFWL? The conversations here seem to indicate that the death of GFWL only means the death of multiplayer; however, I tried playing DR2 a few months ago (having purchased it in a sale at some point) and I wasn’t able to save my (single-player!) game without GFWL, and I wasn’t able to get GFWL to work. So is the single player expected to work at this point, or no?

4. subedii says:

I wonder whether the DLC issue with GFWL was a technical issue, or whether it was a contractual thing. Possibly a bit of both.

Capcom at least seem to be doing everything they can for their purchasers, which is nice. A lot of publishers wouldn’t bother. Either way, I suspect MS might have been able to reach an accommodation with Capcom on this if they’d put wanted to. Guess we’ll never know now.

Ah well, GFWL was an abject pain when trying to buy and install any kind of DLC from their store.

• Philomelle says:

Updating only one game out of nine that need it and only the one that still has very expensive DLC coming out is as far from doing everything they can for the customers as it can be.

5. Shooop says:

Still waiting on you, Dark Souls.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

Yes, From Software, I know that’s a cunning move of yours to make me buy DSII because of more stable infrastructure, but.. come on, just look at your faithful fanbase’ imminent tears, understand that they can’t take this [anymore] and have some soul, for crying out loud!

6. XhomeB says:

That’s great, I have the retail version of SF4 AE.
    But – what about Dead Rising 2? Resident Evil 5? More importantly, SF4 vanilla (I have that one, too)? Street Fighter X Tekken?

• Wedge says:

All those games that zero people are playing online? What about them? I figure that stuff will still work fine in singleplayer in an offline mode, though hopefully Microsoft comes up with some kind of final GFWL update that applies to any dead games and allows them to run properly like that for sure. Not counting on it, but it would be the simplest thing to do.

• Steven Hutton says:

Wait, you have SSF4:AE and still give a shit about SF4? I’m confused.

7. malkav11 says:

Migrating DLC from GFWL to Steam is apparently basically impossible. When 2K was confronted with this issue changing Bioshock 2 over to Steam, they just gave everyone who owned the game at the time all of the DLC. I suppose Capcom isn’t obligated to behave similarly, but, y’know…they could.

8. BlueTemplar says:

Games For Windows Living Dead?
    Living Dead Games For Windows?
    Zombie Games Lost In The Steam?

9. Radiant says:

wait darksouls 1 isnt being shifted to steamworks????

I JUST BOUGHT IT TWO DAYS AGO FFS

• malkav11 says:

They’re “looking into it”.

• Geebs says:

Multiplayer for DkS is pretty much dead already anyway. Griefing and creepy threats over GfWL chat is pretty much all that’s left, friendly summons never connect.

• Vodka, Crisps, Plutonium says:

They exactly never connect because of gfwladida.
          Also, ~3300 players are currently running DS1, compared to freshly released DS2 with 11000.

How exactly it’s bloody dead?

• Geebs says:

I don’t disagree with you; I’ve just been rather disappointed doing a “mostly human” run right now. I wish DkS had the same level of connectivity as DkS2, because then it’d be pretty much perfect.

• HadToLogin says:

I remember their I-think-it-was-official word (or maybe just some dev tweet?) sounding close to “day when GfWL dies will not affect DS1 in any negative way”.

It kinda feels like they already patched it out and just wait for MS to shut it down to release patch.

10. PC-GAMER-4LIFE says:

Capcom are only doing this because they are selling an upgrade package in August on Steam which upgrades this to the newist release of Street Fighter 4 Ultra….for £££ of course its not free no siree the cost will be around 75% of the new release price around £9.99.

GFWL is no longer shutting down in July either Phil Harrison said in March it would not be right for MS to do that so for now its going to keep alive so PC gamers can continue to play the games that use it like Dark Souls 1.

• Gargenville says:

Hello and welcome to fighting games. The upgrade price for Ultra is actually very reasonable compared to any update on any fighter ever. They could either do this or turn it F2P.

11. Deadly Sinner says:

This is good news for me, because I never play the game since it’s the only digital game I own from Amazon. I even forgot I owned it for a year.

• TheMightyEthan says:

That happens to me all the time on Steam, especially with sales.

“Ooh, that game looked neat, and it’s only $2.99 now? Awesome! … Oh, I already own it…”

12. drewski says:

I wish Microsoft would hurry up and clarify exactly what they actually are doing with GfWL and what it will effect. I can’t imagine they’ll just pull the pin entirely given how much they’ve worked on integrating Xbox Games for Windows into Windows 8 (or, y’know, whatever that “service” is called) and it’s annoying me not knowing how my few GfWL legacy titles will be affected.

• Gargenville says:

The shiny new Games app can track your XBL/GFWL account activity but to play a GFWL game you still need the ancient, wonky GFWL software. Purchases run through the Windows Store rather than the old GFWL storefront too.

13. HisDivineOrder says:

Well, this just shows you. Never buy anything but Steam versions of games. This is a life lesson for all those who are out there thinking about buying games.

Let’s hope console gamers realize this and stop buying Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U games until they include Steam versions because clearly Steam is the future and EVERYTHING ELSE (including especially anything Microsoft-derived) is not.

Good to know. Not a surprise to me. :D

PS: I bought Super Street Fighter IV AE for Steam a long time ago. ;)

14. MeestaNob says:

The least they could have done is allow people with the original SSF4 to upgrade to SSF4:AE so that there was a stepping stone to the Ultra edition in a few months time. Once again Capcom disappoints their customers,..

Comment on this story