A Myth No Longer: Fable Anniversary Coming To PC

By Nathan Grayson on June 3rd, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Help, I'm being punched in the face by fire, something I didn't even know was physically possible!

Did you know there was tremendous demand for a PC version of Fable Anniversary? Did you know there was a Fable Anniversary? I must confess that I did not. Apparently, though, it’s a remastered version of Fable: The Firstening with better graphics, sound, and all that jazz (note: jazz not included). It came to Xbox 360 earlier this year, and now it’s apparently headed to Steam too. Hurrah?

I mean, don’t get me wrong: I liked the first Fable quite well way, way, way back when it first came out. It wasn’t even close to being everything Peter Molyneux gushingly acornpromised it would be, but it was a solid action-RPG in its own right. Thing is, PC already has Fable: The Lost Chapters, which is the first Fable with minor improvements. I’m sure Anniversary will look and sound a little better, but forgive me for not leaping out of my seat and kung-fu kicking a chicken in mid-air.

Oh well, though. It’s something. At least Microsoft is releasing PC games again – or re-releasing them, really, as they have here and with Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. It’s a baby step, sure, but that’s pretty damn impressive when the baby previously had no legs.

Microsoft hasn’t given Fable (Technically Closer To The) Anniversary (Which Is In September) a release date, but if I had to guess I’d put money on us hearing something during E3. Right now it’s still The Teasing Season, but soon. Soooooooon.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

So how about Fable 2 on the PC now hmm hmm

• frightlever says:

Hopefully. My favourite RPG of all time, I think. The PC version of the original was already “remastered”, with better graphics but proper controller support would be nice.

EDIT: was just thinking – if this is coming to Steam then the next logical step is Fable 3 going over to Steamworks, right? Right? (I liked Fable 3 – do not understand the hate).

• Stromko says:

It’s been an odd omission all these years. Fable has been available for PC for a long time, Fable 3 saw a fairly rapid porting to PC as well and it was relatively terrible. I don’t think Fable 1 even looks that bad by today’s standards, it mostly shows its age by a lack of freedom and open worldiness.

So this seems like a really pointless project when Fable 2 for PC would have been much more desirable I think.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There has to be some legal crap they don’t care to re examine again, i’d say. Microsoft might give it a go again if this one manages to sell somewhat decently though, who knows.

I actually loved Fable 2 aswell. It had a lot of flaws, but as i really didn’t follow Molyneux’s rants that much, i approached it with realistic expectations and it delivered for me. Oh and Reaver alone was enough a reason to give Fable 3 aswell a spin.

I’m also one of those who enjoyed how they handled the final boss fight, especially if you do nothing at all for 30 seconds or so. I’ll stop there or i’ll get into spoilers territory.

• Shieldmaiden says:

Yes please! I absolutely adored Fable 2 and it’d be lovely to have on my personal computational device to revisit whenever I wanted.

• FriendlyNeighbourhoodMurderer says:

Yes please. A remake is all well and fine. But it bugs me that to replay the series I’d have to play 1 and 3 on the PC and #2 on the xbox. Even though I own #2 on xbox 360, I’d buy it for pc just to play it again :)

• stupid_mcgee says:

Even better: how about generating keys for the Fable III Steam users that never got them.

Fable III is unavailable on Steam. If you go to the Lionhead forums, they say it is an issue with Microsoft and that there are not enough keys. Hence, some people bought the game on sale, but never got their keys.

AFAIK, the issue is still unresolved.

2. Optimaximal says:

This is missing one key point… If this sells well, we may *finally* see Fable 2 when that gets a re-release.

• Stromko says:

Or they would just funnel all the money into FIFA 2015 or whatever the hell the suits want to make. If they want to promise us Fable 2 that’s another thing, we already had our chance to buy Fable the First and apparently that was good enough to get a port of the significantly inferior Fable 3, so I’m not going to throw money after the idea of EA suddenly taking a hint about what people want.

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

Unless I’ve missed out on some big news recently, EA have nothing to do with Fable – it’s made by Lionhead, published by MS (who own Lionhead).

• roope says:

Why should EA care about Fable?

• stupid_mcgee says:

Possible, but I remain skeptical. Microsoft won’t even publish more keys for Fable III on Steam. The game is now unlisted on Steam, literally, solely because Microsoft have not published more keys to Steam.

3. Premium User Badge The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m guessing this is Microsoft ‘big pc push’

• WaspHUN says:

Yea.. re-releasing decade old games with bare minimum improvements.
      Microsoft… shitting on PC Gaming since 2003.

Don’t get me wrong i love AOE2 and Rise of Nations, but those games was still playable, so why would i want to pay for them again? Especially for AOEII… the original version with mods not just looks better but also runs better on my system.

• Darth Gangrel says:

That is exactly how I feel about remakes in general. Most HD remakes are just not necessary, especially when there’s plenty of mods around. I really disliked that Doom 3 mods wouldn’t work on Doom 3: BFG Edition. I only cared to play through Doom 3 more than once after I had installed some mods.

4. Porkolt says:

Sounds like it’ll be just as big a disappointment as Leviathan Warships.

5. Gothnak says:

It’s always strange visiting the website you frequent daily to find people commenting on a franchise you have worked on for the last 11 years.

I had a hand in around half the quests in Fable 1 :).

(And no i can’t comment on what is/isn’t being made and any release dates, we have a dedicated online department for that!)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

WE WANT INSIDE INFO!!!

Side note: nice job! What about the other episodes instead?

• Gothnak says:

Nope, can’t comment on what is or isn’t being worked at the moment. As far as did i work on the others? Yes… I was in charge of all the quests in Fable 2 and the combat in Fable 3.

• frightlever says:

Fable 4 confirmed!

• Stromko says:

If you know who was responsible for players having to walk around in a pocket dimension to change their clothes or do pretty much anything in Fable 3, do give them a slap. Had they simply kept the same inventory and character progression systems we were used to, it would have been a wildly better game.

• Gothnak says:

I know exactly who is responsible for that, unfortunately they don’t work here anymore so i can’t carry out your request.

• Michael Fogg says:

Kill the giant mosquitos haunting the Picnic Grounds – that was epic.

• Premium User Badge lowprices says:

So you’re saying you can’t tell us the exact release date of the pc port of Fable 2? I see.

6. Lemming says:

I’d be tempted by Halo Anniversary, but not this.

Btw, RPS never before mentioned Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet as one of the firsts to ditch GFWL and go full Steamworks. That’s a Microsoft Game too, and a damn good one.

• Philomelle says:

I imagine that’s because it’s borderline impossible to bring up Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet without expressing astonishment at how it managed to avoid being sued for false advertisement, given that 75% of the trailers’ content are nowhere in the game.

• Lemming says:

I’d love to know your basis for that.

• Philomelle says:

My basis is exactly as I said it. I was really looking forward to the game. I bought it on release. I completed it in one sitting. All trailers feature wonderful music while the game is almost completely mute. Store description promises a large world with exploration and a rich backstory, while the game is roughly 80% a linear corridor and the backstory is a 30-second video built out of 3-second snippets collected across the game.

In their defense, they finally cut a new trailer that actually does feature exclusively content from the game (and in fact showcases all of the game’s levels and bosses within a 2-minute trailer). The original two trailers, since removed from the Steam storefront, were 70% scenes that weren’t featured anywhere in the game (including about three chase scenes and a hefty pile of sequences set in the “prologue” area).

7. Drake Sigar says:

Had no idea. As you say, I’ve got Fable The Lost Chapters, it’s great, and I have no reason to get this. For those who don’t have The Lost Chapters on PC from all those years ago and are into Fable however, definitely consider picking this one up.

8. commentingaccount says:

Considering the original PC port is kinda buggy(It’s very easy to have some quests bug up and not ever work on your save), I’m glad this is happening.

Now bring Halo 3 over, Microsoft. THIS I COMMAND

9. Scumbag says:

“…but forgive me for not leaping out of my seat and kung-fu kicking a chicken in mid-air.”

I read kung-fu kicking as kung-fu fucking.

10. Erinduck says:

As long as it has controller support this time.

11. Monkeh says:

While I was very disappointed at the time with it’s ”open-world” (though I did already know about it having read reviews of the Xbox-version), everything besides that was a lot of fun and I even (almost fully) replayed it a few years ago. So yeah, I’m one of those people who will be buying this [again].

12. PsychoWedge says:

who would write anniversary with a capital a in a chat? This is all fake, man!!!!11

depending on the effort put into I might even take a glance at it.

13. int says:

I am now renowned enough to use the sneer expression.

14. Jason Moyer says:

Will pick this up if only for full 16:9 support (yeah, I know Fable already mostly supports it) and xinput support.

15. anon459 says:

Been hoping for this, actually. Fable was my favorite game ever when it came out, so I pretty much have to buy this even if only for the sake of nostalgia.

16. kdz says:

I’m strangely excited for this. I quite enjoyed playing The Lost Chapters 6 years ago (I was late to that party), and then Fable II on my friend’s 360. Fable III was also quite a lot of fun, this time on my PC.

Each game in the series had a lot of ambition – and I don’t mean the “you’ll see trees grow and your kids grow up!” brouhaha, but rather their stories and attempts at making the player a part of them.

Might play Fable Anniversary when it hits Steam.

17. Rath says:

Well I hope they give the code a bloody good going-over before porting it, because the 360 version, while a very pretty makeover it was, not only carried over a whole slew of bugs that existed in The Lost Chapters back in 2005 but also came with its’ own fun new set of game breaking freezes, and completely cocked up the tattoo system.

See forum thread for details:

18. HisDivineOrder says:

I hope this isn’t the extent of their promised “renewed PC support.” So far, I’m underwhelmed.

Announce Halo 1-4 set, ODST, Reach, and Halo Wars, Gears of War 1-3 set, and Forza 4 with 5′s engine for PC. Then announce a new Flight Simulator, a new Mechwarrior game (from FASA that MS still owns even if they mothballed them), that they’re making a new Age of Empires with the people who used to be Ensemble, and then announce Halo 5: Guardians as coming to PC.

That’d be a renewed commitment to PC gaming.

19. Hasslmaster says:

Nathan is definitely trying to hard to be funny. It’s adversely affecting his quality of writing.