Grand Theft Aiden: The #WatchDogsIV Mod

By Alice O'Connor on August 29th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

That's one way to stop someone phoning in your crimes.

I’m eternally surprised by what modders manage to do with Grand Theft Auto IV, especially as Rockstar never released official mod tools. Modders needed to build tools before they could build mods, a bit like Minecraft–only you end up with high-fidelity murder rather than a monolithic phallus.

The latest wonder rising from GTA 4 borrows an awful lot from another open-world murder simulator: Watch Dogs. Mass-murderer-with-a-heart-of-gold Aiden Pearce is now hacking Liberty City with his magical telephone, popping barriers out the ground, riding trains, spying through cameras, screwing with traffic lights, and generally hacking the planet. It’s a remarkable feat.

The creators of the #WatchDogsIV mod say it’s “inspired by” Ubisoft’s game but insist it’s “not a copy,” but it does borrow an awful lot (assets included, it seems). You can overload the power grid to cause a blackout, make ATMs spray money to draw crowds that’ll inevitably start fighting each other, burst lights, futz with traffic lights to cause pile-ups, set off car alarms–you know, Watch Underscore Dogs stuff. But in a different game with a different simulation, where this won’t all work entirely the same. Also you get to be Captain Boringpants and hit men with sticks and do that whole ‘pulling your mask up’ thing.

Download Hash Watch Dogs IV here. Installation is simplified by using the OpenIV package installer, though the makers suggest a few extras you might too. Combine it with a fancy graphics mod or two and lawks, you’ll have yourself a right treat of murder and datacrime for the weekend!

, , , .

1. eggy toast says:

If only they didn’t force you to jump through Rockstar Social Cub *and* GFWL, after installing SecuROM just to play a Steam game. As it is, I just can’t bring myself to spend a dime on it.

• P.Funk says:

I got over it, and so should you. Its not that bad. The first time is hell, but once you get the auto-logins working it just means you wait for them to blip the authentication and it all loads fine.

I’ll take these 3 layers of activation over having to deal with Uplay all by itself.

Scandalon says:

Come now, really? Uplay is so bad because…it’s Not Steam? Three layers of DRM and accounts and the general B.S. that is GFWL vs. the horrible experience of running an installer and logging in once?

• iainl says:

Gwiffle always was awful. But it’s ‘just’ awful DRM. UPlay is both awful DRM and a patching system that half the time doesn’t work, and the the half is both partly manual and runs at sub-dialup speed. I’ll take bad DRM delivered by Steam’s servers, thanks.

• KenTWOu says:

Gwiffle always was awful. But it’s ‘just’ awful DRM.

I’m pretty sure you don’t remember everything GFWL was capable of. Uplay is by no means a good software, but it’s significantly better than GFWL.

• wu wei says:

Come now, really? Uplay is so bad because…it’s Not Steam?

I’ve never had Steam ignore my account details when purchasing a game, autocreate a new account called shop-some-really-stupid-long-sequence, then refuse to tie that game to my actual account, forcing me to now deal with 2 logins for the one goddamn service.

So no, it’s not the not-Steam-ness that makes it bad, it’s Ubisoft’s shitty behaviour.

• Contrafibularity says:

I can tell you’ve not been given the “Full uPlay experience” if that’s what you think people hate about it. It’s completely broken from A to Z; try playing an older Ubisoft game, and you’ll soon know why people hate it.

I can think of no other DRM which actually bothers you *inside the game* you’re playing to “register to get the full experience”, after which it will kindly tell you that your (unique) uPlay key is already in use (by you) then promptly BAN YOU for a few hours, meaning you can’t even start the game up again and resume playing (nor reset your password, because that gets you a BAN too). It’s fucking horrible and I will give Ubisoft games a miss until they get rid of it.

(This is based on my recent experience trying AssCreed 2; try it yourself if your weekend desperately needs ruining)

Cinek says:

I’d pay additional 5$ if that means the game I buy will be free from Steam/Uplay/Origin/GFWL.
        All the same crap.

• Emeraude says:

I used to be a day-one full price buyer. No question asked about the price.

I pretty much don’t buy games anymore. In the last ten years or so I went f from buying several games a month to barely a handful a year. Of the thirty or so people I used to LAN regularly with, only two still buy games on the PC. We all had roughly the same player/customer profile,and we all consider Steam and its copycats to have basically destroyed PC gaming for us – even the couple that grumpily uses them.

Those of us that are not disgusted to the point of not wanting to support the industry anymore would totally pay a premium for a product version that comes with full functionality, no DRM, no mandatory third party client attached.

Butt the message we got is crystal clear: we don’t matter anymore. We’re not wanted, and we should go our separate way.

• Dave Tosser says:

Is there a clubhouse for people who’ve always hated Steam and oppose all forms of DRM, people who lament the current state of PC gaming and don’t buy games anymore? If not, can we start one?

• Shodex says:

The clubhouse is called GOG.com

• Emeraude says:

As much as I like GOG, it’s a wound patch put over a cut off limb. It doesn’t solve anything.

If anything the “clubhouse” is your local board games club.

• fish99 says:

You don’t need to log into the social club and you only need an offline GFWL account.

2. Psyduck says:

So glad they managed to perfectly capture the ‘iconic baseball cap’

Amazing Mod work thought!

Makes Watch Dogs look less ground breaking for sure

3. Gog Magog says:

Hash Dogs really does sound so much more fun though.

4. gabrielonuris says:

This made me wanna play the real WatchDogs. I’ll put it in my wishlist. Yep.

• Leb says:

As someone who’s played through watch_dogs. You’ll have a better time with GTAIV

• jonahcutter says:

I’ve enjoyed it. It is shallow and it is repetitive. But it is also solid within those parameters. I’ve found it as enjoyable as I do a basically mindless but well-crafted action film. Something like True Lies.

If the 90′s-style, cyberpunk-lite conceit sounds like an appealing fantasy to indulge in, it’s fun. But it does take a fairly big suspension of one’s critical eye.

Aiden is pretty much a blank. But I mentally RP him as a fanatical believer in what he views a war against a police state, to the point of any means are justified. Which is a character I personally find a bit more interesting to play than the the weak-sauce personal tragedy the actual narrative cooks up.

I’m enjoying it well enough. No regrets for my time spent.

• KenTWOu says:

You’ll have a better time with Watch Dogs, because these game mechanics work better there and WD has stealth.

Henke says:

Kudos to whoever made this. Amazing work. :D Sure it’s a bit rough around the edges but they managed to pack in an astonishing amount of WD’s features into it, and even some new ones. The “free money” bit was great.

tumbleworld says:

They certainly captured Aiden Pearce(tm)’s iconically ugly, soulless little eyes.

7. emptee says:

“Mass-murderer-with-no-redeeming-features” more like it -.-

Scandalon says:

Somewhere, some Ubisoft engine programmers are slowly rocking themselves to sleep, comforted only by the cheap whiskey and sobs of their fellow team-members.

9. Geebs says:

I genuinely can’t think of two duller games to combine. Battlefield 3 sp modded into Blood 2? Still more interesting.

Cinek says:

And when I thought you can’t get much worse physics than these in Watch Dogs – here comes GTA IV.

11. racccoon says:

Wow amazing job!
    Great mod!. cheers!

ROCKSTAR look this guy makes you eat dust!
    You been sitting on your lorals for far too long!
    For FS give us some PC games You low life douche bags!

12. summerhorton says:

Overlord games are definitely worth it for that price if haven’t played them. The game play can be kinda repetitive, but nice range of environments and enemies and the goblins and the ragtag weapons and hats they pick up are engaging this game well follow link. http://to.ly/DZw3