The Binding Of Scott Pilgrim: Band Saga

By Adam Smith on September 3rd, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

The Kickstarter pitch video for Band Saga is a frenzied, hysterical carnival of colour and confusion. A band set out in their rickety van to bring music to The Kids, but are waylaid by intergalactic warriors. As such things must, the ambush results in a ‘space roguelike adventure’, in which ‘every level, enemy and item is generated by music’. Completing a level unlocks a new band member, whose FM instrument will change the design of levels. And the player can toy with all of the world-generating music – ‘it will become second nature to manipulate the sounds and understand how they are intertwined with gameplay’. Feast on the colour and the lightshow below.

Musicians fighting aliens in spaces created by sound and altered by instrumentation. I can get behind that. My favourite part is the fact that every new city opens up a new adventure, which suggests that the band just carry on touring once they’ve vanquished the current threat. I was in a band myself many years ago (goth, woefully inept, once referred to as ‘the cute girl playing keys’) and it took much less than an intergalactic assault to knock us off our stride. A few pints of Unicorn Premium Ale and we were scuppered, more likely to be found snoring a symphony into last night’s leftover pizza than belting out some rowdy tunes.

The good people of Band Saga are made of sterner stuff and you’ll be able to invite a brave chum along to join the musical militia should you so desire. Here’s a feature list.

Blast Through Enemies with tight and responsive controls while uncovering the mystery of the intergalactic war!

Unlock New Music & Sounds with each new area explored!

Modify Melodies & Sounds as a strategy to morph the environment in your favor!

Summon A Buddy for some 2 player Co-Op action!

Invite Friends & Collaborate Asynchronously to create new melodies and custom levels!

Share Your Sounds & Sequences with the world by exporting to midi and wav format!

Share Melodies Via QR Codes on mobile devices!

The soundtrack is already available to buy, along with a 22 page comic. That’s $5 over on Bandcamp. When the game is released, anyone purchasing it will automatically receive the soundtrack, as editing and mucking around with it are integral parts of the experience.

The $29,000 target is for living expenses and contractor/collaborator wages during the final stages of development, and a playable version should be with backers before the end of the year. 28 days to go and a $5 pledge is enough to secure a copy of the game when it’s ready.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Halk says:

Come on man, I thought this had something to do with a pc port of Scott Pilgrim.

2. JFS says:

“Next up on CNN: Has the word ‘roguelike’ officially lost all meaning?”

3. Gog Magog says:

I want to make a game named “KILLGRIND” wherein you are dropped and told to “GRIND GRIND GRIND KILL KILL KILL” and you do so. The more you GRIND GRIND GRIND KILL KILL KILL the more objective messages you unlock. Like “KILL MORE” “KILL FASTER” “KILL HARDER” “KILL BETTER” “KILL STRONGER” “KILL A MOCKINGBIRD” “NOW KILL A LITTLE SLOWER FOR A WHILE” and these and other like-minded fellows pop up on the screen in elaborate and crunchtastic fantastabombastic ways and you have a good time.

Edit:
    “Yo” is an excellent name for a hat

• JFS says:

I’d play it. Sounds like a cross between Hotline Miami and Hotline Trail. You could call it Hotline.

• Gog Magog says:

Haha I have no skills whatsoever
        I couldn’t make grilled cheese let alone a video game
        *single tear down cheek*
        *eats single tear*

4. DrManhatten says:

What a lame SEEEEGGGGGAAAAA rip-off. I am growing tired of these 16bit reto graphics stuff. Can we have something new please. I rather would like to see another Space Channel 5 than this

• geekbabel says:

I disagree that this is a retro graphic style. I don’t think pixel art is retro, I think its pixel art and I like pixel art. I think pixel art can look very beautiful and it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Pixel art is a definitive art style that many people like. I’m not saying your wrong for being tired of it but I do think its, at the risk of sounding crude, narrow minded to say that people only use it or like it because its retro and nostalgic.

Also there’s a difference between a rip-off and a homage and I think the sega thing falls into the latter. Was it lame meh, I guess but I think that was the point.

5. Dominic White says:

I find it hard to believe that Paul Robertson isn’t somehow involved in this. That entire teaser video was an astounding imitation of his style, right down to the bouncy four-frame idle animations, slightly prog-rock background audio, and the rippling retro explosions.

LTK says:

It wouldn’t be unprecedented, since he also worked on Mercenary Kings. He also heavily advertised Mercenary Kings on his blog so if he were also doing work for this game we’d probably hear about it.

Personally, I think there’s far more to Robertson’s style and this video only looks a little bit similar.

6. Seth_Keta says:

In b4 King takes them to court over using the word “Saga” in the name.