I think I’ll annoy some Arma fans when I say that Day Z is a better showcase for that tech than the original game’s campaign or multiplayer missions. But I have my reasons, and I’ll explain some of them below. I’ll also continue the story which we began the other day, which will serve to illustrate a bit more about why both Arma 2 and this modification are something singular and brilliant in the landscape of gaming.
Posts Tagged ‘Surviving In Day Z’
By Jim Rossignol on May 19th, 2012.
By Jim Rossignol on May 14th, 2012.
A large part of the internet is telling Day Z stories. People feel compelled to communicate what they’ve experienced in there. There’s a good reason for that. This unfinished modification is more interesting than 90% of games that will land in the same year. It is a game that – for many people – represents this kind of experience we were promised. An open-world, persistent, zombie game, where survival is the goal, and where each encounter with another real human being is a moment of terrible tension. What’s astonishing about this unassuming zombie mod is that it manages to take what is most interesting about MMOs – persistence, co-operation, risk of genuine loss in PvP – and add them to a multi-server FPS. Not just any FPS, either, but the monstrously deep simulation provided by master soldier sim, Arma 2. It’s unflinchingly bleak. It offers freedom, while threatening destruction. The stories that result from it are enthralling.
Read the rest of this entry »
Respond to our gibber
- Xyvik : “BS. 30% is more than competitive. I am an indie author and after spending entire -years- of my life making books I can still only ...” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- Pliqu3011 : “What are these “balancing issues” everyone is talking about? I still find the game perfectly balanced, it just allows for different playstyles. Think of the ...” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- jrodman : “Speaking only for myself it sounded like it had some kind of suspense vibe, which I always avoid.” on The Younger Scrolls: Morblivion – Frontiers
- Pliqu3011 : “@Stupoider Then play on a stock weapons/no hats server. Done.” on Robots Need Hats Too: TF2′s Community Created Update
- Elevory : “I'm actually quite fond of the sprinting/melee mechanism. For whatever reason, it comes across as intuitive to my mind. What bothers me, however, are the ...” on Reus And Renaissance Heroes Are Things You Can Play