!: Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s Seven Year Humble Bundle

We’re seven years old! (Actually, we were seven years old last month, but we’ve never been much for punctuality.) And so by way of celebration we’ve curated the latest weekly Humble Bundle, and that means we’ve chosen some of our most beloved indie games from the past seven years for the Pay What You Want sale. An esoteric bunch, but so very beautiful, all. If only there were room for all the delights of those many wonderful years. As ever, some of the money goes to charity, too: we chose EFF and Medecins Sans Frontieres. Find out more, below, or simply click over the the bundle itself.

So at the basic tier we’ve got the grand puzzler, World Of Goo, which we got so excited about back in the day. There’s also Armageddon Empires, which lit a fire under Kieron Gillen back in 2007, and remains a strategy masterpiece. There’s also the tremendous and much-loved play-your-music game, Audiosurf, and Dungeons Of Dredmor, which earned a pleasing verdict over here. Then at Beat The Average level there’s AI War, with all its expansions, which we diarised over here, the masterful Teleglitch – which Jim rather liked – and the all-too-sinister Amnesia: The Dark Descent. We had something to say about that over here.

If you want all that in narrated video, here’s a video:

As the mysterious RPS narrator observes, we’re not taking any money from this, we were just here to choose the bundle content. And on that note, here’s a widget thing for the payment of money:

We do hope you have fun. And raise some money for charity, too.

Happy birthday!

1. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Great selection of games, Happy Birthday, RPS!

2. Jurple says:

Congrats! I giggled like my inner child when I saw this bundle popping up.

3. FCA says:

Happy 7th birthday!
    Though I must say, being a regular reader, that I have bought all games already on your recommendation….
    Several times….

• frightlever says:

This!

I can always gift it.

• gnodab says:

same here.
        AI War especially, I don’t even know anymore how many copies and bundles I have of it. and I still haven’t properly gotten into it…. one day though. one day.

And while I enjoy the narration of the botherer wouldn’t Mr Mailer have been the more mysterious voice?

Edit: Silly me, Best of Birthdays to you guys!!!
        May your lives be long and prosperous, like Horace

• MadTinkerer says:

I don’t have all of the soundtracks, so I might buy it. But yeah, I have all of the games as well.

Nice to see Armageddon Empires get some attention.

• gnodab says:

Good Point.
        I just threw 10 bucks at Vic in an desperate attempt to finally convince him to re-release Armageddon Empires and Solinum Infernum for Android. Truly a shame he seemingly fell of the earth…
        But one can always dream.

4. mpk says:

I’d buy that for a dollar!

(Well, at least $6 to be honest)

yhancik says:

The happiest birthday to you, oh RPS!

6. iniudan says:

Nice selection, but already own everything.

But Happy Birthday !

7. gorgonaut says:

I especially like how our mysterious RPS narrator pronounces “Amnesia”. Amneeezia. Pure joy. Happy 7th, RPS!

8. Dave Tosser says:

This ought to be devoted to things from the archives that’re long forgotten because they predate the digital indie saturation. Like Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble, Solium Infernum, Knights of the Chalice, Fatale, AI War and a downloadable version of Rose & Camellia.

Happy Birthday, RPS. You’re not as good as you were in 2007.

• aoanla says:

While I do think RPS is as good as it was in 2007, I do agree with the sentiment on the games. (They’re excellent games, but in common with the majority of comments, I think I have all of them – while Dave’s suggestions I have none of, and suspect the general public is also less aware of…)

• padger says:

AI war is in there, and Armageddon Empires is by the Solium Infernum dev?

9. Tei says:

Congrats for your 7h!

I had already these games, but I still bought one so I can use them for some Secret Santa this winter. :trollface:

Whats about that TeamFortress Rock Paper Shotgun hats? I imagine you will talk about it when you are ready. Thats fine. Or we can wait 3 years for even BETTER hats.

10. Col Sanders says:

Done as a matter of principle…

In other news I still want to know how to get the Horace TF2 hat….

11. CookPassBabtridge says:

Talking of sales, note to Flare Pathers: Eagle Dynamics are having a sale on DCS World modules over on their site. Bargains, much cheapness. However you can’t activate any of them on steam, so you will need to download DCS as a standalone client if you want to use the modules. Bit annoying as I already have A-10C on steam, but its about 6 quid so I could just buy again.

• derbefrier says:

ohhhh thanks for that. Black Shark here i come.

• Stellar Duck says:

I tested it out and it turns out that you can buy the module of the DCS site, download it and install it into your Steam DCS install and activate it as normal. It works.

However! I imagine it may blow up come next update seeing as Steam don’t know you have the module this way.

I really should migrate off from the Steam install anyways and use the proper one. I’ve bought my modules on the DCS site in any case, so no reason not to.

I got the Mustang module! Because, I can’t fly the A-10 so now I’ll try failing with a prop plane as well. Can only go well.

If I had any sort of skill with rotary wing I’d get the Ka–50 as well, but helicopters simply elude me. I just don’t know how to fly at all in them.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Ahhh mustang. Crashed about 50 times just trying to take off. Torque steer. Fun.

12. Poppis says:

Nice choices. I already have World of Goo, Dredmore and Amnesia but I think I’ll get the tier 1 just for the Armageddon Empire. Seems like a nice game.

• imperialus says:

It is a fantastic game. One of those gems that I keep finding myself drawn back into over and over again. If you want to check it out I did a LP for it a few months ago. Might help you get started since it is not the most intuitive games to figure out.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Thank you for this. I searched Youtube for a good one and I found one without commentary, and another with commentary with the caveat in the description that there were many untruths in what they had said.

• Hypocee says:

I’ve never played anything which makes decisions quite like it. It still burns bright in my eyes, despite its technical faults. A few tips in text form to ease your hypothetical attempt at play:

There’s an idiosyncratic concept of ‘armies’ independent of units or leaders. Creating placeholder armies is a valid use of spare action points in the early game. I eventually contextualised it as committing water trucks and other individually uninteresting wasteland survival resources.

Many important functions – outpost construction, assassination attempts, all research – are accessed not via armies or bases, but specific units (engineers, commanders, scientists) viewed by going ‘inside’ them.

Pay attention to the hex border colours, movement costs are related to the hex side you cross, not just the hex you enter as in most hex-based games.

There’s nothing so beautiful as running a scout squad into the one place that interdicts an encroaching force’s supply line. Being in/out of supply is a Very Big Deal.

• imperialus says:

What is almost as fun is assassinating an enemy general in a big stack and then pouncing on the weakened units. I took out 2 Corrupters with a largely infantry based army by doing that.

Carra says:

Same here, I have all titles except that one. But it’s a game that looks like it’s my kind of thing.

13. draglikepull says:

I have two missions in life:

1. To convince everyone I know to listen to Hate by the Delgados.
    2. To convince everyone I know to play World of Goo.

• Dezmiatu says:

The album or the song? While the title song is one of Alun’s better songs, Emma is the stronger vocalist IMO.

14. MasterBoo says:

Started reading RPS after the “This is nothing compared to StarCraft II” article (link to rockpapershotgun.com).

Happy birthday!

• Henson says:

I was brought here by the Homefront review. What a piece of work that was.

• Morlock says:

The Risen diary got me hooked, so how fitting is it that the 7th birthday sees Alec blogging its sequel-sequel.

• Comrade Roe says:

Well… I’m afraid I’m a bit later than you guys. I came when I saw a lot of consistently good articles on the Steam News section. In 201something.

15. padger says:

Happy birthday! Yay Teleglitch.

16. Pliqu3011 says:

The only problem with this bundle is that everyone reading RPS has obviously already bought all of these games.

Also, happy birthday!

• Hypocee says:

You laugh, I’m pretty sure Teleglitch is the only one I haven’t bought over the years.

17. nillenille says:

I’ve already got all of the games, too. I’m only buying this for the AI War DLC.

And I’d like my whole contribution to go to Vic Davis, please. Would that be possible?!

Congratulations on finally selling out to the man (the bearded man in a kilt that is John Graham).

• Berserkben says:

Even better news than this bundle is that Vic Davis just announced that he’s working on a new game!

18. amateurviking says:

Happy Birthday RPS, I arrived in 2008 after a long period of non-gaming and you chaps reinvigorated my enthusiasm for games of all stripes.

Heartily approve of the charities too. Jolly good. Looking forward to giving AI War a spin finally.

19. GameCat says:

I’m kinda dissapointed with this bundle.
    There’s nothing interesting, maybe except Teleglitch.

20. Remko says:

Happy birthday RPS.~
    Game selection is quite nice!

21. Nova says:

Aye, great selection of games and charities.

Happy belated Birthday.

22. BooleanBob says:

That’s a really, really good bundle selection. Games to delight and befright.

23. kalirion says:

Have all the games from previous bundles except Armageddon Empire, and I’m not usually into 4X games, especially ones which aren’t on Steam.

24. Prolar Bear says:

I love you, RPS.

SuddenSight says:

These curated bundles are the best. I bought the Extra Credits bundle a couple weeks back, and this is a must for me too (mostly for Audiosurf, which I’ve been eyeing after realizing I love Necrodancer, and Armageddon Empires which I hadn’t heard of until today. I own the others already).

Happy Birthday RPS!

26. Klydefrog says:

I never realised I shared a birthday with RPS! A happy birthday to us both, and long may we continue.

• Stellar Duck says:

Now I just need your mothers maiden name and my plans are ready to set in motion!

Spottswoode says:

Happy birthday RPS.

28. SuicideKing says:

Happy Birthday RPS!

Not sure what brought me to the site, or what me stay, but I’m glad I have.

29. Eukatheude says:

Cool! Except I already have most games, hurr durr.
    By all means consider making a second when it’s time.

30. Paul B says:

World of Goo is six years old – it feels like it was released yesterday – I’m so old :(

EDIT: And Happy Birthday RPS, here’s to another seven years!

Lexx87 says:

John’s voice makes everything all fluffy and lovely, somehow even The Forest.

32. DanMan says:

They grow up soooo fast….. *sob*

33. jonfitt says:

Happy Birthday!
    I also have all of those games (on recommendation) already. All except from Armageddon Empires.
    Question: Has it been patched significantly since KG’s review so long ago? It sounds like it had someproblems when he reviewed it?

• Hypocee says:

Not really. The problems are inherent to its platform: Davis knows how to design the hell out of a game and in my experience an AI, but he baaaasically can’t program without a GUI and doesn’t have the economic incentive to bite off learning a tool other than the one he already knows. AE and Solium Infernum at least, and I believe his other two, are made in some weirdo Adobe presentation program – either AIR or something even more obscure. Which means fixed GUIs and resolution limits, some sluggishness, and certain kinds of audiovisual ugliness. My memory says it has right-clicks, unlike the other weirdo Adobe presentation program that the first two Creeper World games were made in.

I’ve literally fantasized about porting his stuff to a Real Engine so it could get on Steam and other platforms, find the rest of its audience and make the millions of dollars that naturally flow to niche turn-based strategy games.

• jonfitt says:

I’ll get it and hopefully it won’t run too badly.
        I thought to myself (as I often do with single screen turn based games) “this would be great on iPad I could play it on the sofa”. But if it’s in some ancient weird Adobe thing that’ll never happen.

34. Ibed says:

Hah, happy birthday! Thanks for all the words, RPS!

35. Greggh says:

THAT WAS NOT ROCKPAPER SHOT-GUN THAT WAS JOHN, YOU FAKER!!!

Cheers blokes! Been mighty entertaining having you around!!

36. int says:

It’s hard to believe only seven years have passed since 1873.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Time flies in the wond’rous world of New Games Journalism!

I don’t know how or when I got here, but I’m not going away any time soon. Like a benign ulcer or something.

37. Stellar Duck says:

Tillykke med fødselsdagen RPS!

I feel like I should be giving you a present after all the hours of entertainment you’ve given me.

It’s been a blast!

38. caff says:

Happy birthday, love the site, keep up the great work.

39. Frank says:

Bought just for AE. Hope it gets onto Steam some day.

40. AlexHeartnet says:

“AI War with all of its expansions”. There’s currently a grand total of six expansions for the game, the bundle only includes the first three.

41. BathroomCitizen says:

Happy birthday, RPS!

42. AXAXAXAS MLO II: MLO HARDER says:

Those games really are the RPS spirit in a nutshell.

43. Stromko says:

Gosh if only I didn’t own literally all of these games in the bundle already.. it’s almost like I value your opinions and that you get me!

44. Matzerath says:

I am very happy to see Vic Davis included! One of the most interesting game developers that continues to exist in the frontier now known as ‘Not Steam.’

45. Hideous says:

Happy birthdaaaay!

link to rockpapershotgun.com This article is the only sort of judge I have on when I roughly started reading (Because it’s about my game!) but I’m sure it was earlier

46. Jim Rossignol says:

Happy birthday, us.

47. WiggumEsquilax says:

So many downvotes for this video on Youtube.

Hail RPSers(RPSrs?)! Please join me in downvoting the downvoter’s posts. Together, we can be the ultimate downers!

• Cockie says:

Humble’s facebook page is even worse. I’ve no problem with that kind of people ‘boycotting’ RPS though. :)

48. bill says:

Happy Birthday!
    Good bundle, though I already own most of them (due to RPS).

You guys should do a couple of follow up bundles. Another retro bundle to collect up some of the old classics. And a newer bundle with some undiscovered gens from recent times (that we might not all have).

World of Goo is one of my favorite games ever… but I must have about 100 copies by now.

neffo says:

Sure RPS isn’t making any money from this, but what is the indie cabal paying them!?

etc.

50. Cyrus says:

Never rated Audiosurf I’m afraid.