No Need For A Receipt: Receiver For Free

Receiver is a game with “a lot of buttons. A needless amount.” So says Graham, who also claims that the gun simulator is one of his favourite roleplaying games. A gun simulator is not a first-person shooter, just as QWOP is not a walking simulator, even though in some ways that’s precisely what QWOP is. Receiver isn’t a game about pointing and shooting, it’s a game about mechanisms – the gun as machine, with parts that require understanding and manipulation.

For the next ten hours, Receiver is free as part of the current Humble Bundle End of Summer Sale. Go get.

Originally created for as part of the 7-day FPS challenge, Receiver is one of my favourite recent games about guns, along with time-triggered shooter Super Hot.

1. scottyjx says:

I just got all 11 tapes for the first time last night. Such a wonderful game; I’d love to see someone shamelessly copy these great mechanics while expanding on it.

• Henke says:

The most I managed to get was 7, during my brief obesssion with it a few months back. Really interesting and tense game. Everyone should try it out just to see the unique ideas it offers. :)

• Spacewalk says:

I’ve only ever gotten three, because I run around like an idiot begging to get myself killed. Also I am really bad at disabling turrets before they mince me, my aim is just terrible.

2. LionsPhil says:

Hunh. Well that’s a thing.

…so is that aiming at the e-mail textbox seems to trigger a popup pane to put a “subscribe” button under the cursor.

3. Jalan says:

A Steam key only, for a game made by a company that has/had a strong stance on DRM-free products.

Eh. Free’s still… free, I guess.

• Rich says:

No doubt that’s to stop cd-key resellers from scraping a million billion copies and stopping the dev. from ever making a sale again.

• Jalan says:

There’s an expiration date on the keys (“Remember to use this key before Sept. xx”), so they’ve already put a stop to that.

• jezcentral says:

I assume it means Valve will foot the bill for the download, rather than GOG or the dev.

• Jalan says:

The expiration date on the keys was there solely to prevent re-seller abuse. I’m not picking nits on that. Impact on download has no bearing considering the amount of business they pull in through numerous bundles, wherein a vast majority of things they’ve sold that way are available to download through whatever CDN provider(s) they happen to use.

• sarcinelli says:

That was strange, I was hopping for a gog key :\

• Synesthesia says:

are you really complaining?

• Vesuvius says:

Has Humble EVER given GOG keys?

• sarcinelli says:

Actualy no, they haver never given. Dunno why I was expecting that.

It’s just that when I think humble or humble widget GOG is the first thing that pops on my mind for some reason…

• Jalan says:

They have actually, but not nearly as often as Steam/Desura keys. It’s been rare cases (one game I forget the name of – its artwork features a brown-haired woman prominently and it was released in multi-part format I think, was one while Eador was another).

4. The white guar says:

The humble store has the hardest captchas ever. After the fifth failed attempt I started to doubt in my humanity.

• Lyrion says:

Maybe that is because you aren’t human? Maybe android? :p

Harlander says:

Yeah, how come you’re not helping that tortoise turn itself over, anyway?

• The white guar says:

Tortoise? What’s that?

• bonuswavepilot says:

Know what a turtle is?

• JFS says:

You’re lucky Harrison Ford is already semi-retired.

• blind_boy_grunt says:

It’s written and it’s damn good,” Scott says of the Blade Runner sequel. “Of course it involves Harrison, who is a survivor after all these years—despite the accident,” he says with a laugh (referring, no doubt, to Ford’s Star Wars injury). “So yes, that will happen.
            via entertainment weekly

so better beware all you androids! Deckard is going to chase you… of his lawn!

• DrollRemark says:

*gets excited for Blade Runner sequel*

*remembers Prometheus*

*reigns in excitement*

• Volcanu says:

Prometheus was interesting, if not exactly a tour de force……I’d watch a Prometheus 2.

Blade Runner is possibly my favourite film. And I really dont think it needs a sequel. In fact I strongly wish Ridley would leave it well alone- I fear it will only diminish the effect of the original and tarnish it by association, in much the same way that the Star Wars prequels have somewhat tarnished my love of the original trilogy (and yes I know this isn’t a logical response).

The ending of Blade Runner is perfect. Just because you COULD find a way to continue the story, doesnt mean you SHOULD.

• GameCat says:

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t belive. Unsolvable captchas… wait, everyone seen that!

• GameOverMan says:

All those failed captchas will be lost in time… like tears in rain… Time to try again.

• Shuck says:

The last time I dealt with Humble, the captcha asked me for “two words” but only gave me images of single, four-digit numbers. I think they’re just screwing with us.

• alw says:

I keep getting that from CAPTCHAs too. I usually end up using the audio option instead

5. Viroso says:

Dang it, I was going to buy that game. Video games, why do you give me so much for so little all the time. Maybe I should stop paying 80-90% off prices for each game I get on Humble Bundles or something. Probably won’t, BUT MAYBE I SHOULD RIGHT!

6. Chuckleluck says:

The game should’ve been free to begin with. It’s nothing but a proof-of-concept like SUPERHOT.

7. Leb says:

Aaaand they are all gone.