Oh Godus, What The Hell’s Going On?

Hey, remember Godus?! It was successfully Kickstarted in 2012, despite launching with no video at all, as the name of “Peter Molyneux” still carried enough currency to raise over half a million pounds for his return to the god game genre. Just over two years have gone by, and mobile free-to-play versions of the game launched last year, but what state is the PC development in now? Molyneux has announced that he’s now working on a new project, a mobile thing called The Trial, suggesting Godus is no longer his focus. And the team currently working on the game have recently acknowledged that they, “simply can’t see us delivering all the features promised on the kickstarter page.” Uh oh.

So what is the state of the development? It sounds as if the developers themselves do not quite know. Designer Konrad Naszynski has recently been added to the team and is being impressively frank about his experiences on the Godus message boards. As well as stating that he doesn’t believe the Kickstarter promises are achievable, he added, “a lot of the multiplayer stuff is looking seriously shaky right now especially the persistent stuff like hubworld.” And more recently he has posted to explain how “frustrated” he is with the speed at which he’s able to bring change. The developer arrived by peculiar means, having played the Godus alpha and becoming concerned about the direction in which it was headed. He was given an unpaid position by Molyneux, he says, and after a year was finally appointed to a place where he should be able to influence the direction of the game. When trying to fix seriously underdeveloped aspects of the game, Naszynski explains that he had to choose something that seemed quickly achievable with minimal resources, so chose the story. He says that had he selected to overhaul the resource system, “I would have been told outright no.”

He describes his current feelings as “cautiously optimistic”, while explaining that any changes made to the game have to be financially or reputationally justified. He concludes,

“It’s going to be a juggling act and I’m betting a lot of my pc only proposals are going to be shot down and there will be things I will be told to work on that won’t contribute to improving pc. If that’s the case I’m just going to state that outright when the time comes.”

As for those Kickstarter promises, it’s not looking good. The silliest claim made was that it would be finished in “seven to nine months”. That wasn’t even true of the money-raking mobile versions, and with the PC game in Early Access since September 2013, it’s been missed by a further 17 months on top. The Linux version, added as an achieved stretch goal, has shown no signs of appearing (and the game is built in an engine that doesn’t support Linux). A “student forum” was promised, claiming to provide “feedback on your game design and any career advice you might need”, but we can’t find them. (In fact, 22Cans’ forum is entirely disabled.) We’ve searched for items like the “Godus Art/Design” book, received at certain pledge levels, and cannot find evidence of its existence.

It probably isn’t a surprise to anyone who’s been paying attention that a Molyneux project might not match its promises. The developer has become a lampooned figure for his grand proclamations and lacklustre delivery, although somehow the reputation of the work of he and his colleagues at Bullfrog 25 years ago seems to sustain his reputation beyond this. Even in the wake of the absolute mess that was Curiosity, there was still enough good faith to see just over half a million pounds handed over to the millionaire developer for the Kickstarter. A Kickstarter which Molyneux described in December as “very destructive”. One he says he regrets, and would not do again if he were to do it over. Perhaps rather surprisingly, and without apparent irony, Molyneux states that a Kickstarter causes one to over-promise at the start of development. He told Tech Radar,

“There’s this overwhelming urge to over-promise because it’s such a harsh rule: if you’re one penny short of your target then you don’t get it. And of course in this instance, the behaviour is incredibly destructive, which is ‘Christ, we’ve only got 10 days to go and we’ve got to make £100,000, for fuck’s sake, lets just say anything’. So I’m not sure I would do that again.”

This rather considerably concerning statement on how he went about getting people’s money doesn’t seem to have slowed the developer down. His new game, The Trail, will be an “experience never seen before” according to the Fun And Serious Games Festival at which he announced it. Molyneux “explained” it thus:

“It can be understood at a glance, and it entertains the idea of communication beyond words, by means of music, art, and so on. The problem with social media is that we communicate too much. If you and I, who are having a conversation right now, could only say ten words to each other, we’d feel frustrated, with lots of things to say that we can’t utter. But, on the other hand, we’d make every effort to make those ten words sound as meaningful as possible.”

He goes on to explain that his new game will, “build on feelings and emotions untapped so far.” The site also appears to attribute to Molyneux the statement that Godus, “lacked in narrative, progress and reward.” A fascinating use of the past tense for a game still being sold, for £15, as Early Access.

We’ve attempted to reach out to 22Cans for comment, but their email addresses appear to be bouncing.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Runty McTall says:

Multiple team members’ addresses bouncing is a bit weird. One person, you’d think it may be something like their inbox is full or perhaps they’ve just left the organisation and not made a public song and dance of it. Mutliple people is harder to explain.

On the wider topic, which Kickstarter terms was Godus under when the campaign completed? I know they’ve become much more explicit about the necessity of actually delivering to backers what you’ve promised but I can’t remember to what extent Godus backers would be able to call BS on not getting what they backed.

• KDR_11k says:

I don’t think backers can flag them for disobeying KS rules as long as the funds were used properly even if the project failed but they do get to flag for missed backer rewards.

• statistx says:

Well to be fair i bought it in Early Access, not Kickstarter, at a time where there were no known bad examples yet

2. Buuurr says:

Duh… people who support this silly new form of robbery are like those that give the kid $5 BEFORE he shovels your drive…

• draglikepull says:

I’ve supported a bunch of Kickstarters, and so far they’ve all delivered (or are well on their way to being done). If you’re smart about what you support, you’re much less likely to be disappointed.

• Buuurr says:

Yeah, sound advice. However, you can’t predict when someone who is key to a project is going to become disgruntled, disinterested or just plain decide to take your cash and bail. No amount of intelligence can predict that. For those not wanting the frustration and disappointment its a no brainer.

• Zephro says:

You can if it’s Peter Molyneux

• akins286 says:

Exactly. This, for me, is much less about a kickstarted project not delivering and much more about Molyneux never being able to deliver on his promises…. ever.

If someone has a history of underdelivering on their promises, even when given years to develop and a AAA budget…. why on earth would you give them money on Kickstarter.

• Drake Sigar says:

Through the rain, cross the cobbles, through the old town of Guildford
            We’ll venture forth, we won’t take this one in stride
            Say a prayer, then we’re there, at the doors of a country home, and there’s something truly terrible inside.
            It’s a Molyneux, he’s got promises, very tall ones. Don’t lose your cool and be fooled, there’s no acorn tree.
            Hear him bluster, see him yak, but we’re not going back till he’s deaaaaad! Kill the Molyneux!

Just kidding, I still love you Peter.

• Reapy says:

Seriously, I can’t believe people are still eating the shit spilling out of his mouth. How many times does he have to keep under delivering his big talk, how is this guy even still employed, oh wait, his big mouth will always pull down cash from the gullible.

• Niko says:

Backing something in Kickstarter is not an investment or a pre-purchase, though.

• BockoPower says:

It’s the worst between the two. You are “investing” in a project to be successful but you have almost no word on how it will be made. But you also pre-purchase something that you may never play. Kickstarter is a good thing but people use it more and more for their greedy scams.

• ScubaMonster says:

Kickstarter exists in some quasi limbo between the two. An investment will (typically) net you some form of equity for your gamble, and a pre-purchase guarantees you’ll receive a product or you (should) receive a refund. Kickstarter is neither of those. You’re throwing your money down a rabbit hole and hope the game makes it out of Wonderland.

• Insidious Mental Pollution says:

In Molyneux’ case it’s not that hard. With the exception of the Bullfrog days, at least from what I remember, he has repeatedly over-hyped and under-delivered. Just unfortunate that people continue to buy into the trash that spews from his mouth.

3. Zeno says:

It keeps happening!

Seriously I don’t understand why anyone continues to give any credibility to Molyneux. The guy’s a hack. I don’t even feel bad for the people that got ripped off here.

• RedViv says:

We warned you about Moly, folks! We told you, dogs!

• Headwuend says:

I can’t wait to be a useless piece of shit all day and post all these stretch goals

• Joshua Northey says:

I have no idea what half the people who bought into this and were advocating for this were thinking. It was so clearly not going to work out. It is too bad they didn’t work as hard on the game as they did the kickstarter.

• CdrJameson says:

To be fair, a kickstarter that says ‘We’re going to remake Populous’ should have been pretty low risk.

Seems like they failed even that one though.

• Sc0r says:

I still call it bulldozing simulator

• Meat Circus says:

I like that RPS is still *just about* polite enough not to print PETER MOLYNEUX IS A LYING FUCKFACE DO NOT TRUST HIM WITH YOUR MONEY EVER.

• eggy toast says:

I have to agree, the man has been screwing up exactly this way for literally over a decade. Anyone who gives him their money is beyond sensible advice.

• elderman says:

I’m not sure it’s right to call Molyneux a hack. I’m thinking he’s a charlatan, a good old-fashioned shyster. He’s been talking fast all his life, and it’s worked for him.

ErraticGamer says:

Yeah, I’m with you on this. He used up any cachet he should have had left over a decade ago. And this was supposed to be his “return to form”. AGAIN.

I have no idea how he keeps convincing people that this time, THIS TIME, it’s all gonna work out.

4. Zephro says:

It seems less like the crimes of Kickstarter and just Molyneux being Molyneux. When was the last time he actually delivered on something he claimed? As I’m going to say Dungeon Keeper 1 in 1997…

Lars Westergren says:

Yes. Hairbrained Schemes and Larian both have indicated that they might have promised too much as they were caught up in the initial Kickstarter euphoria. But they worked themselves to the bone to deliver anyway, and have kept putting profits into improving their games after release. They understand their audience and what they want.

Unlike Molyneux who either has no clue what his (ex)fans want, or is comfortable taking their money to develop something different than promised.

• kyrieee says:

He was comfortable taking people’s money in exchange for letting them tap more squares on a virtual cube with an empty promise inside. It’s clear that he feels no obligation towards the people giving him money. Curiosity was Cow Clicker, but with the self awareness replaced by a suffocating pretension.

• Xelias says:

Oh, he didn’t got that much money, otherwise he would have funded Godus with what they made, right ? Wasn’t it the whole point ? “all the money that we get here will be used for our next game”
          right ?

Right ?

• SD says:

Completely agree, regarding HBS. They went above and beyond their campaign promises including DRM-free availability for non-backers (something that may seem obvious to us, but was not promised nor negotiated with rights-holder Microsoft), and *really good* modding tools natively on Linux (which was not only not promised, but was stated as a very shaky maybe). Of course, delivering two very good games has gone a long way toward building that trust (yes, *two* very good games… Dragonfall’s brilliance doesn’t diminish Dead Man’s Switch, which I found a very solid, albeit shallower, Shadowrun experience).

It’s that sort of treatment of one’s fans that affords them the kind of success they’re enjoying with their Hong Kong campaign at present. All they have to do is continue to deliver on expectations, and I expect this cycle to continue until enough fans are bored with old-school(ish) RPG gameplay in the Shadowrun universe, which will likely coincide with their first under-funded Kickstarter campaign.

Regarding Larian, they’re reportedly delivered a brilliant game, but have not delivered on campaign promises (namely porting), so I’m still reserving judgement. Their communication on that topic, as well as the content and frequency of their updates in general, has been stellar, so at this point it is their reputation to lose, not to earn. I’m cautiously optimistic!

• DanielSF says:

Not even Dungeon Keeper 1 was immune to Molyneux over-promising and under-delivering.
      The game was meant to be a dungeon simulator with an entrance through which heroes would invade. There was a list of features that related to the player’s effect on the overworld outside the dungeon and how the overworld would respond to the player’s actions. I once had a printed Bullfrog newsletter (sadly long-since binned) from during the development of DK1 which had an interview with the original lead designers that mentioned all kinds of interesting stuff.
      Unfortunately, they couldn’t get it to work as a game (testers would pile up the traps and stuff at the entrance and no hero would last for more than mere seconds) and Molyneux himself ripped the game apart and rebuilt it in crunch shortly before it was mastered.
      Demis Hassabis & Elixir’s Evil Genius was essentially a reworking of the Dungeon Keeper idea, dropped into a James Bond-ian milieu that pretty much worked along the lines of that early design brief.
      Molyneux has always been, and always will be, a complete hack coasting on his early successes of Populous and Magic Carpet. People need to stop giving him attention and money.

• pepperfez says:

The difference is that Dungeon Keeper, even in failing to meet PM’s promises, was really good. It would be cute if he kept promising grandiose, life-changing experiences and instead delivering fun video games. Delivering unplayable rubbish is the problem.

• Insidious Mental Pollution says:

Somewhere along the line, perhaps the Black and White or early Fable era, is when that stopped happening…

• Frosty840 says:

That thing with the heroes coming into the dungeon sounds similar to “Dungeons”. They solved that problem of insta-murdering every hero that comes in through the door by making heroes more “valuable” the more loot they discovered and the deeper they got into your dungeon, I think.
        Dungeons was a bit of a mess, though, so I really didn’t play enough of it to find out.

5. Orija says:

Go back to Twitter, Molly.

richlamp says:

What a total clusterfuck the whole development process for this game has been. I had real hope during the Kickstarter that it could be something worthwhile but now I feel disappointed and cheated. Fuck you Molyneux.

• Ribonizer says:

I was gonna log in just to say the last part of your statement in those very words. You’ve saved me the trouble…

Fuck you Molyneux!

Looks like I still had to say it.

7. Yachmenev says:

I’ve got no problems with developer who try their hardest and fail, because all software development and related project management is really hard. And they will fail from time to time. That’s just the nature of it, and a risk that follows with all kickstarter.

In this case however, it doesn’t seem like they have even tried to focus on the things promised, but instead used the money to focus on the F2P iOS version instead of the PC version, where the latter has been nothing but a big compromise.

Molyneux and 22 Cans doesn’t have to worry about doing another kickstarter, because there’s no chance that it would succeed if they did try. That bridge is burnt now.

• aldo_14 says:

I used to have an undue regard/sympathy for Molyneaux due to his involvement at Bullfrog, but the constant stream of news like this has finally stripped it away (even though I didn’t buy Godus – although I hoped it would be worth buying at some point).

• Mr Coot says:

“Uh oh”, indeed. :/ I feel a bit the same. Did not support Godus but am hoping for a playable PC game to buy at some point. The Molyneux aura is still v strong, since I associate him with some of my best loved games all the way back to the Populous on the Amiga. But I’m old and jaded enough not to part with money unless something concrete looks like eventuating. (The exception was War for the Overworld, an indie DK effort with Moly’s blessing – for that, I don’t mind risking $50 since at worst I will have been part of a pool of money that fed some baby devs with vision but nothing else for a couple of years. It was shaping up nicely last time I looked!!)

I keep hoping Molyneux will redeem himself in dramatic fashion. It is looking more unlikely – but I hope he will meet his commitments at least.

• Jac says:

I cannot recall whether the F2P version was mentioned as part of the pitch, and if it wasn’t I would be very interested to know how much of the backers pledges went into that as if it was anymore than a penny it would be outright fraud.

Either way as soon as I read about the F2P version any interest I had immediately evaporated as the whole project just seemed like a total clusterfuck.

8. Zallgrin says:

I am just going this incredibly accurate, although not-actually-happened interview with Peter Molyneux here. It actually summarizes his career very well.

9. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Meanwhile we’re all quite sure you would absolutely do that again.

10. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

What a mess. One day I’d like to read a book, say 10-20 years from now, written by Molyneux/Schaeffer/Roberts/Braben/etc. (or, even better, a collaboration) in which, with nothing on the line and no reputation to preserve for future work, they’re fully candid about what went on behind the scenes during kickstarters. I know it’ll never happen, but I think it’d be fascinating.

As to the communication with limited words thing, it depends how deep and meaningful you consider remarks like “gg”, “qq” or “beware of fatty but hole” to be. That is to say, I suspect the community will come up with new meanings based on those ten words (which may make Peter very excited at least).

• Deadly Sinner says:

Well, Double Fine, at least, has a pretty comprehensive series of videos for Broken Age by 2 Player Productions that documents the good with the bad.

• SD says:

Personally, I find the video series to exceed the cost of entry on their own merits. Having additionally the opportunity to play the game resulting from their work feels somewhat like a bonus feature to the video series.

• derbefrier says:

I get the feeling sometimes Roberts has had some small regret at not stopping stretchgoals sooner. I think it was around the 20 million mark when he straight up told the community he didn’t want anymore stretchgoals but the community wouldn’t hear it,they wanted more so Roberts gave it to them. Though at that point its mostly been ships and any features after that were expressly written not be be expected at release( such as precedural generation etc..). Even then when the game got in the 60 million or so he finally just said “that’s it no more we are out of ideas you rediculous people”. Or something like that :), at the point most people were fine with it but there still was a segment of the Community that wanted more.

I think its just easy to get caught up in it and I don’t doubt the sincerity when devs tell us they want to deliver these games they pitch us its just that sometimes it doesn’t work out. At the moment SC seems on track to fullfill those promises even if its gonna end up taking 4 years.

11. physical0 says:

From what I understand Molyneux threw a tantrum when his backers revolted when he tried to crowbar microtransactions into the game and he gave up on the project.
    I was looking forward to this game, it has been sitting on my wishlist for quite some time. Despite the occasional steam sale, I passed on it because I don’t do early access. This sort of development hell problem really does confirm that “No Early Access” is the way to approach these.
    I really wish there was a better structure to beta access to games. Paying full price for an unfinished game that may never be completed is not a risk I’m willing to take. I really wish they would have a model where they charged a potion of the full price based on how complete the game is, and as the game progresses, players can opt to continue funding the project.
    For example: I launch an early access game and it is playable, but pretty feature incomplete, I charge 25% and the early supporters get access to my game and I get funding to continue. Later down the road, I’ve worked out bugs and I’m getting feature complete, the price goes up to 50% and my 25% backers can opt to continue funding the project and new backers can join in. Then I have a mostly feature complete game and i’m just working on balance issues and obscure bugs and the price goes up to 75%, backers can opt to continue showing their support and join that stage. Finally, the game reaches 1.0, we leave early access and the price goes to 100%. A cool developer like myself will give the full game to my supporters with no additional funds (25% discount for working with me through development), and new players can pay full price.
    This sort of approach will provide accountability and a need for developers to demonstrate progress. It would be harder for a dev to take the money and run, because they are on the hook to progress so that they can get further support from their backers.

• Buuurr says:

I get what you are saying but people just don’t have that kind of time or patience. That’d be like baking a cake. You give everyone a part of the half that just came out of the oven for $3… you tell them they can have some frosting when that is done for an extra $3… they sample the plain cake… they get full. They no longer want to have any frosting.

Giving people money for promises usually ends in frustration. They have the money. What more motivation is there not to move on to the next thing and more easy money?

• Grendael says:

Agreed

Minecrafts model was basically what physical0 is saying except the initial price you paid was all you payed.

I think thats the best way to do it. The creator of Castle doctrine said this. That games should on gain in price. I would say up until launch, yes.

So physical0s model should imo be you only ever pay 25% then is you are too slow or cautious 50% and so on

Lars Westergren says:

> What more motivation is there not to move on to the next thing and more easy money?

Wantinto be a good person. Having pride. Caring about your reputation in an ever more networked world. Wanting to do it again, with an established fan base so you dare to do some more daring things.

There, two internal motivations and two external.

• Buuurr says:

• April March says:

If someone is in it for the money, they’ll underdeliver and oversell as much as they can get away with and specifically target the ignorant. Why should we care about such a person?

• physical0 says:

If a gamer is full on plain cake then they don’t need to continue supporting the project. That’s fine from the gamer’s standpoint. They paid a fraction of what they would have otherwise and got a belly full of plain cake.
        It sucks for the developer, but if the developer isn’t making a compelling and interesting game that the gamer wants to play, why should the gamer pay for it?

• Deadly Sinner says:

“What more motivation is there not to move on to the next thing and more easy money?”

Your destroyed reputation. Molyneux will never have another successful kickstarter. Neither will any other kickstarter failures. Even ones that completed the game with mixed reviews (like Uber) are having trouble raising money.

• Buuurr says:

Read above: You’ve missed the boat as well.

“Buuurr says: 09/02/2015 at 17:03

My question was more poised to someone who is in it just for the money. Those are usually the ones who run with it. Most people with all the attributes you are speaking of would never consider doing something like this. I didn’t realize WHO I was referring to was in question. My apologies.”

I am obviously talking about Molly. I mean that is the point of the article we all just read, isn’t it? Words and stuff, right?

• Don Reba says:

I bet policemen use donuts for their examples.

• Guvornator says:

But the theory is that you’re taking the money to make the game, not the other way around. So the funds need to be in place. I can understand where you’re coming from, but it puts the devs in a tricky position especially if they have hefty upfront costs (hiring office space, buying furnishings etc) or need emergency funds.

What that means for “not investors” (because KS don’t take investors, because if they did they’d have to offer protection against this sort of thing) is you pays your money, you take your chances…

• Grendael says:

Maybe kickstarter should be used pyrely for starting up. Need 80k for office space and equipment etc then go into early access a few months later to continue development.

• physical0 says:

Kickstarter can and should be used to kickstart a project. Early Access should not. The costs involved in developing a game should be paid for with the funds from that stage of the game. If you need more funds, but aren’t at the next stage, that should be a red flag to the community that development isn’t going as planned and the game is behind schedule or over budget and may not be completed.

• sassy says:

Personally I would prefer a system whereby valve withholds half the funds which can only be released to the developer upon satisfactory completion of early access promises. If the project is abandoned or shows no sign of progression after a period of time, the half held back gets refunded.

Granted my proposed system still has risks for purchases but more importantly, steam would appear to be unwilling to do with their disregard for quality of sold items.

Regardless of any of this, I would still rather buy a complete game. So many good ones exist that I will never be able to play through, I don’t need an incomplete game.

• RobF says:

The entire problem with this idea is that it literally undoes everything that’s useful about early access for developers. This takes us back to the old publisher/bonds/paid at the end of milestones (amount of payment for milestones may vary) way of having games get made and it’ll return us to a time where experimental games, games that can and will go over schedule will be starved of funding and no-one wins.

The answer, I fear, is better consumer education -and protection- in these things rather than taking us back to the stuff that got us in a right old mess in the first place.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Satisfactory according to who?

• Author X says:

That was Minecraft’s model and it obviously worked for them, but it was also an unexpected success. That tends to be the opposite of how Kickstarter works, however, because of the key difference that everyone pays up front. The way it’s framed instead is, “you pay $10 and play the game in 12 months when it’s done, or you pay $20 and play the game in 10 months when it’s in beta, or you pay $50 and play the game in 6 months when it’s in alpha.”

I don’t have a problem with offering that to people if they want to pay more to access early versions, but it makes the transition from kickstarter to early access sales rough, and it resulted in a lot of ill will for Planetary Annihilation when they offered alpha access for $90 on Steam – the context was totally different.

I do have a problem with offering it when it causes more problems for the developer – I’ve also seen games where the development cycle just didn’t lend itself to long alpha or beta periods, and they didn’t have the resources to put up a persistent multiplayer server. As a result, they put a lot of energy into creating large tests so the beta backers felt like they got their money’s worth, that they should have put into running a small test to get the feedback they needed then developing based on that test feedback.

So, I guess it’s really the whole point of this problem, but developers need to think long and hard about how they’ll actually develop the game and what they can promise instead of promising so much it hurts development making backers happy.

(as opposed to the Double Fine Adventure model of under-promising and then trying to over-deliver beyond the resources they actually have)

Vandelay says:

When it comes to Early Access games, I think they should be forced to show a progress report for the game on store pages. There also needs to be a clear expected release date and the number of times a release date has been missed. It seems that most Early Access games are not really intended to be released, suffering from perpetual feature creep.

As for Kickstarter, I am fine with the approach as it is. Just remember that you aren’t pre-ordering and only back things that you have a particular desire for or things that aren’t guaranteed to receive funding. Also accept the fact that you may not get anything or you might not like what is produced at the end.

• KDR_11k says:

Some devs take the “price is low because game is incomplete” approach to early access, others (especially the hyped ones who got kickstarter money out the ass and treat EA as preorders) go for “pay more to get it early!”. Minecraft was 50% of the later full price in alpha, 75% in beta. I guess it depends on their greed or ego.

• somnolentsurfer says:

I guess as long the risk of Early Access titles is clearly marked, I have no issues with the system as it has emerged. It might not be a list you’re willing to take, but for some people (including, in this case, me) it clearly is. I knew what I was getting into. I knew Molyneux’s reputation. But I’ve found his work consistently interesting enough that when it looked likely the Kickstarter would fail, it seemed worth a punt to help see it though. In this case it didn’t pay off. Every other KS or EA game I’ve bought into has done. I’m not that fussed that one of them’s failed. Disappointed, yes, but there’s no point getting worked up about it.

12. MOKKA says:

What does that mean for the person who “won” curiosity? Wasn’t he promised some kind of initial “super god” status that would give him power and money or something like that? With the online stuff apparently becoming a problem, is it possible that his reward actually only consisted of a video of Peter Molyneux lying to him?

• Joshua Northey says:

Anyone who played curiosity get what they deserve.

• Ross Angus says:

It sounds like an episode of Black Mirror: “The good news is you’re a God. The bad news is that your realm is devoid of life”.

• Behrditz says:

If i remember right, he was some kid who hated god games and said he had no interest in Godus, so they probably just quietly let that disappear into his apathy.

melnificent says:

The money from IAPs and sales were only for when multiplayer happened (which hasn’t from what I understand) link to vg247.com

13. HappyCerberus says:

What the hell, is he openly admitting fraud?

• TechnicalBen says:

Good luck understanding anything this guy says. Lets just say it’s so vague, they would not be able to hold him down in court (but sadly the rest of his company/employees may suffer).

14. Crafter says:

The Kickstarter updates for this project are fascinating and cringe worthy. They are all pretty much identical :
    -We have added feature x & y (random features mostly targeting mobile, which seems to be where Godus has found some success)
    -almost universally negative comments from the backers.

It must not be easy to work for this studio.

• AngoraFish says:

This largely summarises the problem though. Most backers backed a Populous remake for the PC, yet the studio itself has only ever been interested in delivering a clumsy PC-port of a clicky mobile game with a god-game skin.

• somnolentsurfer says:

See, I think part of the problem with Godus is that it’s actually got worse rather than better in response to misguided backer feedback.

Backers are being absolutely fair when they complain that it’s not the game that was promised during the Kickstarter. But, whatever fans wanted, the promise wasn’t of a Populus remake. It was of a game that incorporated the best parts of Dungeon Keeper, Populus, and Black and White. And Molyneux kept talking about incorporating Civ like elements and other stuff. While massively flawed, the first version of the game actually had some of that. It needed some polish, but the sandbox was heading the right way. What was missing was any sense of progression, decisions, or objectives.

Rather than focus on delivering a tightly balanced game that addressed those flaws though, the team seemed to get sucked into an endless loop of building increasingly crappy and unsatisfactory redesigns of the ‘mobile’ systems that backers hated. But the platform it was built for was never the issue. The issue was a lack of design vision, and compromises in all the wrong places.

15. HyenaGrin says:

Over the years, my defenses of Molyneux have become more and more hedged, to the point where they became a bit back-handed.

I grew up loving some of Molyneux’s games, and he has just the sort of presentation and seemingly sincere charisma that makes you want to believe what he’s saying (at least, if you remember a time when he was successful).

Over time, ‘He has pedigree’ changed to ‘A couple of failures doesn’t mean the end of a career’ changed to ‘maybe he stumbles on delivery but he’s still a visionary’ changed to ‘maybe with these new resources at his disposal he can finally pull something off’ changed to ‘Wouldn’t it be nice if he made a decent game that draws from his earlier career?’

I’m done. It took a disturbingly long time to recognize that one can be sincere and still be delusional. I think Molyneux is broken. I will be shocked if he manages to deliver a game that isn’t a hash or a cash grab.

basilisk says:

I know it’s silly to try and diagnose someone based on their public persona, but I’m reasonably sure PM is suffering from some kind of psychiatric condition. It doesn’t feel like he’s doing it on purpose; he just can’t seem to help himself. Maybe I’m wrong and he’s only a snake oil salesman and a terrific actor, but that interpretation just doesn’t feel right.

That, and Fable 3, the only relatively recent thing of his that I played, is basically an ADHD simulator. The game simply can’t keep itself focused on one thing for five minutes. I think that’s what being Peter Molyneux must feel like.

• LionsPhil says:

Molyneux is the excitable kid on the Games Factory forums telling you he’s going to make an awesome MMORPG in the body of a man and with the ability to somehow sweep up otherwise sensible-looking people into failing with him.

• April March says:

An MMORPG in the body of a man! Where is this Kickstarter?

• wyrm4701 says:

Yeah, this is where I’m at. Big fan of the work and the ambition, very disappointed in what’s become of it. Somebody upthread posited a lack of effort put into GODUS, and that’s the most charitable explanation I can find.

• Noviere says:

This describes my “history” with Peter Molyneux perfectly.

• Gmr_Leon says:

Pretty much agreed here. This was my first stab at giving the guy a chance to redeem himself, and he squandered it in only the way that Molyneux can. Thank goodness this wasn’t a $50/$60 release, or else I’d be even more frustrated…Can only imagine how people that bought Fable 1 or 3 felt, especially if they followed it to release.

• Sheepdog says:

@HyenaGrin, I tend to feel the same way.
      I used to have a lot of respect for Moly for at least having big concepts even if his execution was a bit lacking, but now, having worked in the industry for years, I find it bizzare that he either has no idea of the scope of the work he’s promising, or that he just doesn’t care about his promises.

I think in truth he’s more of a dreamer than a designer, he has some big picture ideas but no idea how that’s meant to come together. And he’s very good at getting people on board with his dream which ultimately leads to lots of disappointment all around.

• MattM says:

Godus doesn’t seem to have shot for the moon and missed, rather he just quit halfway through making a perfectly achievable game.

16. KDR_11k says:

If we only had 140 characters we’d make those as meaningful as possible, right Twitter?

17. Chicago Ted says:

sasuga Molyneux

18. Craig Stern says:

Awful. It seems Molyneux has abused Kickstarter backer trust for his own financial betterment, and scorched the earth for everyone else who follows him.

I used to say that Molyneux had a lifetime pass from me for Dungeon Keeper. I think the pass has now worn off, though, because I can’t see myself ever supporting anything he does again after this.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Thing is, I can’t imagine he’s actually profited a great deal from all this. I don’t know exactly how successful Godus has been, but 22 Cans isn’t a tiny studio. There’s plenty of people working there. The Kickstarter budget must have run out at least a year ago, which presumably means they’ve been running off early access sales and mobile. Given that Spacebase shut down in less time with a smaller team, I find it hard to imagine they’ve made enough to keep going from EA. And the game surely isn’t fun enough that I can have attracted many microtransatian whales.

I suspect Molyneux has been bankrolling Godus development from his own personal wealth for quite some time.

melnificent says:

Famous Game Dev – Check.
    Own studio – Check
    Kickstarter/Early access based on nostalgia – check
    Failing to deliver on promises – check
    Development (effectively) halted – check

I hate it when Schafer, I mean Molyneux fails to deliver….

Braben is an also ran (4 out of 5)though they are at least still developing Elite Dangerous.

• Crimsoneer says:

I think making Schafer comparisons is harsh. BA is working out fine – although it’s taking an age – and Broken Chalice is apparently excellent.

basilisk says:

Nonsensical comparison. Broken Age is still being developed, which we, the backers, know because of the documentary. It’s way overdue, yes, but it is going to be released sometime this year (and probably sooner rather than later). The future of Godus, on the other hand, is a complete mystery to everyone, quite possibly including the people who are working on it.

melnificent says:

I meant Spacebase df-9, which was cancelled… sorry released straight from alpha. Broken Age I have no idea about, glad to see it’s still going…..

basilisk says:

But Spacebase wasn’t Kickstarted. It was Early Access, yes, but not one you could possibly call “based on nostalgia”. Also, Tim Schafer wasn’t personally involved in its development at all (other than greenlighting and later redlighting it as the head of the studio).

Note that I’m not defending the way the project ended, which was indeed shameful and badly mishandled, but I really don’t see any parallels here.

• suibhne says:

Spacebase was a debacle, but it wasn’t an abuse of Kickstarter. There was no crowdfunding for that project at all; rather, it was an abuse of Early Access. The two business models couldn’t really be farther apart: KS produces a big capital infusion up front, while EA is basically bootstrapping with incremental revenue generated by sales for various stages of alpha/beta.

A charitable response might be that Spacebase proved Schafer’s shop is incompetent at managing the latter business model, but seems to be doing much better with the former.

• wyrm4701 says:

I think the only parallel was meant to be the disappointment in these creators who were once held in high esteem.

EDIT: Responded to the wrong person. Hurrah!

• pepperfez says:

I think the most charitable, and maybe also most accurate, response is that early access isn’t a sound funding model at all. A promotional or (supplemental) debugging tool, sure, but not something that should be relied on wholly support a project.

• suibhne says:

Well, bootstrapping a la Early Access is a perfectly legit business model in other areas, even with some software development. EA is perfectly consistent with well-run Agile development, e.g. But Agile isn’t as applicable to games that 1) are really only finished when they’re finished, or 2) are expected (by customers) to be released in a “finished” state. My view is that, for most types of game projects, incremental delivery doesn’t offer nearly enough value to users for them to actually finance the (relatively steep) development costs. Put another way, the investment curve for most games doesn’t map usefully against the value curve for its purchasers, and bootstrapping doesn’t really work for something that requires a lot of up-front investment (I mean, unless you’re bootstrapping using revenue from a prior project ;) ).

The sole project type I see as theoretically workable with EA is sandbox-y games. But that brings us right back to Spacebase DF-9, which was a miserable, embarrassing failure. So I still tend to think it was a failure of management, not conception.

• jrodman says:

The concept of agile in its pure forms is *very* different, where you’re building something for a customer who is actively telling you when it meets their needs or doesn’t.

You don’t build a game for one large corporate buyer who will be using it for their own purposes. At least not usually. Some flight simulators may apply.

20. wyrm4701 says:

It can’t be overstated – there is no game in Godus. There are a series of frustrating impediments applied to a basic landscaping app. These are meant to be overcome with real-world money; in the absence of that on PC, the main impediment is time, In that it takes hours for the few necessary resource types to accumulate.

I’d like to know a bit more about what features were promised in the Kickstarter. Actually, I’d really like an idea of what the game was initially pitched as, because I can’t see how anyone would have tried to sell the game Godus appears to be. It’s tremendously pretty, and has excellent sound design, and is total garbage outside of that. It’s clearly intended to be microtransaction-driven, but outside of that and some very neat landscaping, there’s no actual game to be played.

That said, I’d almost recommend playing it just for the dev commentary. It’s a fascinating window into what’s either lazy graft or blithering denial. It’s quite unintentionally hilarious every time the player is thanked for their patience, and enthusiastically rewarded with a new mechanic with which to wait even longer to perform simple landscaping.

melnificent says:

Here’s the kickstarter pitch “Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience. It’s this experience we aim to reimagine. GODUS blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White. The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.”

So doesn’t that sound awesome? And on that we got…..erm, anyone???

• Tatty says:

There’s a dev commentary now? That might *almost* make it worth downloading the game again.

I bought it soon after its Early Access release in a heavily discounted sale, which should have raised suspicion in itself as Early Access stuff is rarely given huge amounts off. I’d dip in occasionally when it had an update but my thoughts remained constant: It’s a bad game.

Joylessly bad.

• wyrm4701 says:

The commentary is worth a laugh, but the problem is that you have to play the game. It was amusing when playing for the first time, though. I believed the commentator when they said things like “This is where the game really gets going”, or “You’ve been very patient, and now this is where we start to really get away from the ‘waiting’ aspect”, but after the fifth or sixth time, it became something of an insane joke at my expense. There may be a drinking game in there somewhere, but it’d take two days to play, thanks to all the ridiculous wait timers.

• Gmr_Leon says:

Fun fact: you don’t actually have to play it, it’s tucked away in the game files. Godus>windows>SoundBanks>Windows>Audio_commentary.

You can get all those sweet, sweet delusions without boring your brains out!

• wyrm4701 says:

… You are my new favouritest person ever. Thanks!

• somnolentsurfer says:

Also, can’t you alter the balance files these days? I’ve not actually booted it up since they put that in, but it sounded like that should mean you could make it much much faster to play if you want.

21. Shardz says:

If we had a dollar for every Kickstarter project that failed hard, we would have the greatest game of all time with all that money. I have never been involved in Kickstarter and certainly won’t start now by any means.

I am one of the biggest fans of old Bullfrog games, which are cosmically brilliant; however, I think ol’ Petey took a jolt to the noggin somewhere along the line with all these grandiose ideas spewing from his imagination. For many years now, that is exactly what has come to fruition from his endeavors; a mirage of wishful thinking.

• Wisq says:

And yet, some of the best games today came from Kickstarter. Including several that I’ve backed.

Once you separate the hype (like Godus) from the solid game plans, you up your odds substantially. Kickstarter has been responsible for FTL, Sunless Sea, Divinity: Original Sin, etc. Yes, it’s also responsible for a lot of flops, but dismissing the whole thing is a serious case of baby-with-the-bathwater.

In the end, you have to treat it like a gamble. That means a) don’t put money into it unless you would be equally willing / financially-able to take that money out and burn it, and b) find a balance between “how much do I want this to succeed?” versus “how likely is this to succeed?”.

• Hex says:

Would you even have $10? $5? I don’t stay on top of this kind of thing, really, but I can’t think of even five games that fit this criteria. Can anyone come up with 10?

• Sheepdog says:

I’ve backed a lot of kickstarter projects and none have yet failed (the Double Fine Adventure was far behind schedule, but the half that’s been released was excellent and the other half is due this year).
      I didn’t back Godus, I liked the concept, but I didn’t trust Godus.

The only Kickstarter failures I’ve heard of were those that were completely unrealistic, and should never have been backed.

22. Didden says:

At this point, the cry wolf parable is so overwrought, even memory foam wouldn’t bounce back.

23. gunslingerfry says:

The difference between a failed Kickstarter with happy backers and a failed Kickstarter with disgruntled backers is transparency and a sense that the developer actually gives a damn. Peter is opaque and couldn’t give two shits that your money was wasted.

24. Wisq says:

I’m at the point where I think that Bullfrog was more to credit for Molyneux’s early successes than Molyneux himself.

I’m not saying they could’ve done it without him, but rather, that maybe they were a more vital part of the equation. Maybe the ideas were all his, but it takes a strong team to temper that, to turn it into something fun and playable. Maybe it’s the case that Bullfrog minus Molyneux would’ve equaled competent, fun, if a bit uninspiring games, while Molyneux without Bullfrog has proven to be a mess of unfinished promises. Maybe he’s the reason they’re not around any more.

It’s like he’s a particularly difficult form of steel, and Bullfrog is the incredibly talented smith that is able to forge him. Together they can forge the greatest blades ever known — but the credit should go more to the smith, less to the metal.

• suibhne says:

We tend to overstate the importance of individual “visionaries” in game development, and underestimate the role played by the teams they led or were part of. It’s possible Bullfrog would’ve produced little of lasting worth if Molyneux hadn’t provided his vision, but it’s equally possible Molyneux is incapable of delivering without a certain set of skills and interrelationships around him. Both are probably true, in fact.

• Joshua Northey says:

I think it is even possible Bullfrog would have made better games without him. A company can still be great an do great things and have a crap boss.

25. Stardog says:

Anyone who’s actually played games for a while would’ve seen that all this Kickstarter promised was a shallow mobile RTS.

It seems like that’s what’s been delivered.

If you were expecting the next B&W (which is shallow enough in itself) then I would say that’s an issue with your own lack of judgment.

• Emeraude says:

As much as I agree with you (and I do), “blame the victim” doesn’t appear to be a desirable social strategy as far as I’m concerned.

On an unrelated note, gotta love that candor from Molyneux – “well, yes, I lied, wouldn’t have worked otherwise”. Proof if anyone needed that the man is not deserving of that kind of support.

26. Sam says:

Ian Bogost has put forward that Kickstarters are really about paying to watch the spectacle of an idea being worked on, rather than a way to buy the tat they’re making.

Godus is a poorly designed game, little more than a series of timesinks with very few interesting choices and no compelling moment-to-moment action. It’s missing promised features which would have made it into a big mess of a poorly designed game. But watching it happen was kind of entertaining, at least in a cringe-inducing way. I bought it for a tiny amount of money in a sale and found it to be interesting and useful as something to think about the ways in which it failed.

The spoken commentary from Mr Molyneux while you play is a genuinely good idea as it gives an idea of what state he considers the game to be in, what parts are done and so on. It’s something I’d like to see in other early access games (optional of course) as a way for the less devoted to be kept up to date with where development is going. You can watch ideas rise and fall like the incredibly server intensive and mostly pointless idea of a single shared world – what are the odds you’d have ever found another player while they were online? Also see how they experimented with more puzzle-like game elements in the “voyages” that give little set maps you have to guide people over – let down by unclear landscape interactions.

You can also have fun analysing the game for Meaning. You lead a group of people on a constant expansionist drive, united by their shared faith in you as their god and a relentless desire to build houses on anything flat. They have no interest in knowledge or culture beyond gawking at a handful of statues you gift them. The natives you meet are an obstacle to either destroy utterly or convert through torture (you lower their happiness mostly by burning their homes). If native individuals do join you they’re functionally lesser than your own race as they “prefer to party rather than work.”

It’s a bad game, but I got £3 of entertainment from it.

• pepperfez says:

what.

• MattM says:

They aren’t though. You can tell because it explicitly says on the kickstarter site that it is about funding the production of a project. If you just want to give your money away with no strings attached, send a check directly to the developer or use a monthly patreon donation.

27. Advanced Assault Hippo says:

It is what it is. The risks are there and are well known. The only way to avoid this is to not participate in Kickstarter at all.

No sympathy for anyone who feels hard done by. Unless you’re one of the few who genuinely didn’t know how KS really works, in which case that’s bad luck I guess. Chalk it up to experience.

But for the rest of you, tough doo-daa’s. The concept is laughably flawed, regardless of a few successes that provided the game that was promised.

I often sit there in amazement at the amounts of money thrown at projects that are mere flimsy ideas. This will happen again and again and again.

• DarkFenix says:

No the best way to avoid it is to look at projects with common sense and a critical eye. I’ve watched Kickstarter projects flop or under-deliver one after another and didn’t back a single one of those. On the other hand I have backed over 20 other projects, around half of which have already delivered and the other half are showing no signs of trouble.

The signs are there for people to see, many either can’t or won’t though.

28. Lytinwheedle says:

We just need to wait for the next interview in which Molyneux blubs in front of the interviewer, and suddenly everyone will hail him as a game development visionary with slight issues around implementation, but still a genius.

Even the next pitch sounds like it has been copy & pasted from the Molydeux twitter. Can’t be more vague yet overpromising than that. Well done once again. Maybe the winner of that clicking game will become your Typing Emotion Giraffe who whispers soothing incantations in Swahili as a new, slightly retconned, reward.

29. Noodle says:

A few of the commenters here are coming out with the old ‘Oh well, broken promises are what you get if you go in for kickstarter’ but its hard to overstate the arrogance shown in Godus. It really is apalling.

It started off as a sort of a cute world building god em up, Molyneux going back to his roots etc, and what emerged after a year of faffing about is a free-to-play mobile game. Seriously. It’s just Clash of Clans or some other bit of Popcap drivel. Its got micropayments, a confused semi-multiplayer world and absolutely no content despite nearly all parts of it being clearly outsourced.

The idea of a millionaire scrounging money from kickstarter rather than just getting proper funding is audacious enough, but then to take peoples money for a game and use that to fund a free-to-play mobile app is just galling.

This is a special, Molyneux-brand of crowdfunding. I don’t ever want to see him in gaming press again but you know he’ll be back, like some sort of melanoma of lead desiners.

• Rizlar says:

I believe herpes would be the better simile. But at least with herpes you know what you’re getting.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

At least with Herpes you’ve had the main event beforehand, too. And might’ve even enjoyed it.

• Lacessit says:

Wouldn’t Dungeon Master *edit* Keeper (How Freudian was that?) be the main event in this rather tortured analogy?

• jrodman says:

Personally I rather liked populous a good bit more. In hindsight it isn’t a very good game, but it was super fun to noodle around in.

30. spacedyemeerkat says:

I’ve backed all manner of Kickstarters. Some where the project turned out better than expected, some worse. But this is the only Kickstarter I’ve genuinely regretted taking part in.

Lars Westergren says:

Same here. Code Hero, Haunts: The Manse Macabre, Clang! and a few others failed without delivering something to me, but they really tried and I have no hard feelings there.

31. spacedyemeerkat says:

For anyone interested – relatively speaking – a new video has just been posted, attempting to address some concerns: link to youtube.com

Konrad has the look of someone who’s staying quiet because he knows every time he opens his mouth he’s going to disagree with his boss.

ffordesoon says:

I threw some money Godus’ way because I figured paying fifteen bucks to find out if Peter Molyneux really is full of shit would save me a lot of money and agitation in the future. Turns out he is. Good to know.

33. Continuity says:

Its been a mess from the start, frankly its hard to see how Peter could screw it up so badly, the premise was simple enough.

Shame.

34. DickSocrates says:

Fuck Peter Molyneux. Whatever his mental problem (congenital liar, deluded, flakey, all of the above), he definitely has SOME severe problem. He is incapable of delivering on anything or even sticking with things. He really should fuck off into the night. The saddest part is all this was evident since Black And White. I remember posting against him back then for precisely these reasons. He’s a confidence trickster, his only talent is conning people into giving him money.

caff says:

“The Trial” happens to be my favourite (Franz Kafka) book. I doubt his game will draw parallels to that mighty tome.

36. Philomelle says:

A lot of people here talk about separating hype from long-term development plans, but I think the most staggering thing about GODUS is that it was essentially fool-proof. All Molyneux needed to do was reskin Populous into modern graphics and add a couple small features on the side. People would love him just for that.

I did have a sinking feeling that something would go wrong and didn’t back the Kickstarter because of that, yet it still amazes me that ol’ Pete somehow managed to screw things up to such an extent. It’s almost magical.

37. PikaBot says:

Nobody who paid the slightest bit of attention to Peter Molyneux’s career could possibly be surprised by this. That people supported that kickstarter campaign can only be explained by a bout of mass hysteria.

38. Fry says:

Nope, sorry, this isn’t a crowd funding problem. If you trusted Peter Molyneux you’re a sap.

Take comfort in the knowledge he’s made a living out of talking even professional investors out of their money. Kickstarter is just his latest conquest.

39. kshade says:

Feelings like nostalgia, disappointment or sadness I bet, the kind he tends to bring out in people. I honestly thought Godus would be the safest project for him to do: Just remake Populus with some new features and lots of polish. Nope, can’t do that apparently. But I’m sure he broke more than even. Stop giving him money.

40. Axess Denyd says:

Actually I think then I just wouldn’t bother to try.

41. pund says:

I like how he describes his next “project”: ” it entertains the idea …”. What a clown.

42. Neurotic says:

Oh, Peter.

43. Ungenious says:

I didn’t read any of the hype or Kickstarter promises. I think I bought on Steam Early Access for $10 and I was pleased enough. I got my 6-10 hours worth of pretty graphics and sounds. If I paid $20, I’d be fairly displeased and expect continued development by their team or open-sourcing of the project.

It never fails to surprise us that businessmen have no principles.

44. toshiro says:

We all seem to agree that Molnyeux is nothing short of a sociopath, I would go so far as to say that he CANNOT stop doing what he is doing. What I can’t grasp however is something beyond that, how can we not have laws that put these snake-oil salesman’s into prison? And we can’t blame people who don’t know about his schemes, google his name. I am very surprised the first hit is not “DON’T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BELIEVE HIM!!!”.

• jrodman says:

Oh sociopath is quite unfair. Compulsive behavior up the wazoo? Definitely.

45. noizy says:

I don’t know much about Molyneux, but I extend my caution about any kickstarter and early access game because of these situation. Failed ventures are more common than people are aware. Up until recently, it developers failed privately behind closed door with their own money. I’m still not on board with pre-release monetization.

46. somnolentsurfer says:

I think the worst thing about Godus is all the time I am somehow compelled to spend in discussions like this one. I had a very limited amount of time for gaming tonight. I’d planned to spend it trying to finally push for the end of The Banner Saga, a genuinely lovely Kickstarter game. But because I’m ‘invested’ (not literally, obviously) in Godus, I’m stuc here.

47. It's not me it's you says:

I am out whatever the minimum backing tier for this was, can’t say I’m hugely fussed about that one way or another. I figured the chances were reasonable that his earlier efforts were stymied by influences that weren’t him (be they publisher or budget or whatever) and it’d be interesting to see what he’d do with a crowdsourced game.

What I do not understand about this whole thing is that this isn’t the ship he’s choosing to go down with. Clearly this leaves the man’s reputation in tatters (I know people would argue it already was but apparently there was still something there to draw from given this thing funded) so whereto next for him?

Basically, shit happens – I’m not too worried about the ten bucks or whatever, but I’m a bit disappointed Molyneux is doing what he can, personally, to fix this (or, if he is, I’m disappointed with how little difference it makes). I suppose I overestimated how much his reputation meant to him.

48. Lachlan1 says:

We are all the battered bride of Peter…he was so good to us in the beginning but then things got worse. He keeps promising us the world and letting us down. STOP TELLING HIM WHERE YOU ARE STAYING HE CAN’T KNOW IT’LL JUST HAPPEN AGAIN!

49. pipman3000 says:

o.m.g (oh my god) goodsir i keep throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening . i just gave a prince from nigeria my bank account info so when sends over his money i could probably fund this whole kickstarter in one go

50. Stelly says:

I’m also annoyed at myself listening to Peter Molyneux promises and believing that he woudl deliver on his promises… its shocking that he will promise the world to get our hard working money then bugger off to a different project taking (at a guess) the source code and saying that its going to deliver everything that Godus couldn’t before Godus is even out!

To me this shows that the heart in 22cans is no longer with Godus and that Peter just wanted our money for a proof of concept that he is now taking to work on ‘The Trial’

Well done Peter and 22cans for being so dishonest with these hard working people’s money!