Skywind 0.9.6 Video Shows New Details And Weapons

Bethesda have a press conference planned for this year’s E3 – their first ever – which means it’s likely they’ve got more to talk about than merely some new DLC for The Evil Within or a new trailer for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. What will it be: Fallout 4? Elder Scrolls 6? Wet 2? I hope it’s Wet 2.

And not solely because I don’t want all the hard work of the Skywind mod team to go to waste. Come see their latest trailer, which shows some of the most recent modelling and environment work that’s happened in their efforts to port Morrowind to the same engine as Skyrim.

That is some nice music, but don’t be fooled by the “0.9.6” version number in the video’s title. Skywind is both a long way from done and not currently available for public download. As the mod team explain:

Hey everyone. Many people are getting excited that this is so close to a 1.0.0 release. This happens with each update video. Please be aware that this project basically started at 9.0.0, so think of this as the 0.6 release. If you look back, 0.9.5 came out all the way back in October. We are working hard as usual, and we don’t want to crush anyone, but I hope this puts things in perspective. These updates are not an accurate measurement of the progress on the project. When a release is nearing, or a beta, we will have more information for you. Thank you.

I’m enjoying these Skywind trailers for their own sake, because I have no particular affection for Morrowind but like landscapes and mod projects. Yet here’s what tends to happen: a mod is started that aims to bring an older entry in a game series to the most recent entry’s fancier, flashier engine; a dedicated team of volunteers work on it for years, grappling with such a huge task; as they continue their work, an entirely new iteration of the series is announced, released, and the mod project is forced to either continue in obscurity or start over from scratch.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

So you’re saying that if this mod doesn’t finish in time, we’ll have to look Elsweyr for our fill of mushroom trees?

Earl-Grey says:

I Khajiit take all this waiting.
      When this comes out Argonian lock myself in with my computer for days.

• Horg says:

It had Breton be good when it’s Dunmer or I will Nord be happy.

• Monggerel says:

Altmernatively, you could just play actual Morrowind. It was, afterall, Bethesda’s very own Imperial phase.

Qazinsky says:

Well, redguardless, this looks interesting.

• fnLandShark says:

I think akaviri small amount of people share this sentiment.

• Geebs says:

If you people are going to argue about this, I’m going to have to fetcher hose again…

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

These thread is going all a bit Morag Tong.

2. McCool says:

Can’t say I’m a big fan of all of those vertical, impassable cliff faces they’ve added in; it kind of craps all over the “climb any hill” feeling that all of the TES games have had. This isn’t Fallout New Vegas.

• Already Gone says:

To be fair, you didn’t have a jetpack in New Vegas, but in Morrowind you had the mystical equivalent (Flight spells, Jump spells, etc.)

Just because the terrain seems impossible doesn’t mean it is, in other words. Or at least that it would have been, in the original Morrowind — not sure how Skywind is going to handle that.

• Snargelfargen says:

I’m ok with that so long as they add levitation and Morrowind’s bonker’s acrobatics skill scaling.

• Crestycomb says:

FYI 90% of the canyons will be climbable, some of them connected with bridges, the ones who wont be, can still be accessed by levitation or jump spells ( eg link to i.imgur.com )

• badmothergamer says:

If I recall that’s the way the original was though. Lots of hills too steep to climb so you either had to walk around and find the path through them or use a levitation spell.

This was actually one of my favorites parts about Morrowind. With no fast travel and no quest markers, I spent a lot of time walking though mountain paths trying to find my way through to where I needed to go. While more time consuming, it made finding your target much more rewarding than just following a quest marker in a straight line to your destination, not caring if mountains or water stand in your way.

3. Cockie says:

Of course I would! 2xTES>1xTES
    Also Morrowind :D

Earl-Grey says:

Please be Wet 2!
    Please be Wet 2!
    *crosses fingers*

I can already picture the game’s subtitle.
    Wet 2: Even More Shit

5. balinor says:

I must say that I absolutely loved Morrowind so once this releases I’ll be all over it. Additionally, please be Fallout 4, please be Fallout 4, please be Fallout 4.

• Lionmaruu says:

please be fallout 4 and it doest suck please be fallout 4 and it doest suck please be fallout 4 and it doest suck please be fallout 4 and it doest suck please be fallout 4 and it doest suck

6. melnificent says:

Why don’t these projects ever pick an agnostic engine such as unity or UE?
    If a new entry appears in the series it can be added into the main project. In the meantime all work isn’t suddenly outdated when the new TES or whatever appears.

7. Eight Rooks says:

I liked Wet. :(

I mean, I can see why people didn’t, I’m not mad, but seriously, not saying it to be contrary – I thought it had more personality in its visual style and that phenomenal soundtrack that God knows how many other manshooters, and I still found it fun to play despite its many, many flaws. In all honesty, in some respects I’d be more interested in a Wet 2 than any Elder Scrolls or Fallout game – those will inevitably be a known quantity, not vastly different from every other game in their respective franchises before them, with all the things I don’t like about Bethesda IPs. Whereas Wet I can’t think of another 3PS quite like it. :shrug:

8. Crane says:

Because porting Morrowind to Skyrim was quite easy to partially automate due to the similarities in the engines, which would not have been true of Unity or Unreal.

9. Sin Vega says:

Will it be possible (and workable) to use other mods with this? Because if not, lordy. All that work just to wander around for an hour then remember why you stopped playing both games to begin with.

10. Maksa says:

Is it just me, or we’ll probably have new Elder Scrolls game before this comes out?!?!

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

I think many people thought the same thing regarding Black Mesa.

Like that was going to happen.

11. Kala says:

Buh, it looks so gorgeous :3

“Will Skywind fall foul to this common event, and would you play it anyway if you had the choice between it and Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr?”

I would play it anyway, yes. Maybe both co-currently (if I want my real life to disappear down the toilet completely), maybe one after the other, but it’d certainly get played.