Company Of Waaagh! It’s The Humble Relic Bundle

If we seem cynical and suspicious of the many Warhammer 40,000 games we’ve seen in recent years, it’s because we judge them against the high-water mark of Relic Entertainment’s 40k games. Dawn of War with its real-time strategising, Dawn of War II with its added action-RPG-ish flair, and Space Marine with its head-stomping are as good as we’ve had 40k in recent years. So huzzah! For the next week you can get the lot for just a few quid.

The latest Humble Weekly Bundle focuses on Relic, with a load of Dawn of War, Space Marine, and Company of Heroes games depending on how much you fancy paying. CoH is good too.

The usual Humble dealio applies: name your price (above $1), decide how to split the money between the devs, Humble, and charities, then receive games. This time, they’re all Windows-only and come as keys to plug into Steam. Onto the tiers!

$1 or more gets you Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War (note: the Game of the Year Edition here doesn’t include its expansions), Dawn of War II, Company of Heroes plus its expansions, and the Company of Heroes 2 standalone multiplayer expansion The Western Front Armies: Oberkommando West.

Actual Company of Heroes 2 comes in at the next tier, if you beat the average price (currently around $6). That also gets you CoH 2 – The Western Front Armies: US Forces, Dawn of War II – Retribution, and Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

Lastly, pay at least $15 and you also get the Company of Heroes 2 – Ardennes Assault campaign expansion.

Curiously absent are the many expansions for Dawn of War, DoW 2’s Chaos Rising, or Space Marine’s DLC. I suppose it’s not a completionist package, though, merely a starting point – and one can hardly grumble it’s a rip-off.

The bundle will be available until next Thursday, June 4th.

1. Ejia says:

Who’s the favorite author of the Orks?

Evelyn WAAAAAAUGH!

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

They also like Andy WAAAAAAAUGHole.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Ugh no edit function, yes I am aware he’s a painter and not an author but the pun fit.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Apparently their favourite actor is Arnold SchWAAAAAAAUGHrzenegger.

• Archangel says:

Wait — why isn’t Philippa WAAAAAAUGH the one reporting on this?

2. Optimaximal says:

The bundle will be available until next Saturday, June 6th.

Has just over 6 days, 7 hours at the time of this post, so that’s next Thursday (4th June), as usual.

It’s also a shame there’s none of the Space Marine or Retribution DLC packs included.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Oh, pllllbt their blog says “Thursday, June 6” and I missed their mistake (and the bit they got right). Ta. I thought it was unusual a weekly was running until Saturday, but I figured it was the will of the Emperor or somesuch.

Earl-Grey says:

Bundles for the bundlegod!

4. A Pair of Pliers says:

The bundle page says that CoH is Complete Edition, so it should come with Opposing Fronts, no?

Atleast on Steam CoH Complete has it included.

5. Ross Angus says:

I think the Run & Gun bundle from Bundlestars looks quite interesting too – at least for the procedurally generated Depths of Fear :: Knossos and Paranautical Activity.

6. Dawngreeter says:

I’m unsure how the fact that my first reaction was: “Damn I wish I didn’t already own all of these” reflects on me as a person.

• Shuck says:

That was my first reaction, too. My second was, “And I really need to get around to playing them all, as they’ve been sitting in my Steam library for years.”

7. 2Ben says:

I quite liked CoH, how does CoH2 compare ? Same old, better, different? Also, how good are CoH2 expansions?

Thanks :)

• onionman says:

I’m a veteran of COH1 with around 400 hours of COH2 under my belt… take that for what it’s worth.

COH1 is overall the superior game, but COH2 has a lot of “quality of life” improvements that would make it hard to go back to the original. For example, there’s now a dedicated reverse button for vehicles. You now capture territory by sitting inside a circle around the relevant point, so you can defend yourself while capping & don’t receive any damage penalties while doing so. Core infantry is generally built from your starting base structure. The game is technologically demanding, but if you have the hardware it’s stunningly beautiful.

The tradeoff is that the game is somewhat shallower. The single biggest change, I think, is that popcap is hard locked at 100 regardless of how much territory you control, meaning that irrespective of your losses you’re almost never completely out of the game. You also receive a small fuel and munitions income from regular strategic points, and can build “caches” for extra fuel/muni on regular strategic points, so fuel and muni points–and cutoffs–aren’t quite as critical as they were in COH1. COH2 is also significantly more “wipey.” COH1 prioritized unit preservation. In COH2, unit preservation is just as important, but it’s much harder to achieve because the designers apparently feel that more squad wipes make the game more interesting.

All that said, if you quite liked COH1, I think you’d quite like COH2. Some people were upset at release because it hewed so close to COH1. I think that’s crazy; why mess with success? On that note, I guess I should mention that COH1 definitely had its own problems, and was arguably in a worse state at this point (not quite two years after release) in its life cycle. So it really depends on what you’re looking for. Personally, although as mentioned I do think COH1 is overall the better game, it would be impossible to go back even given COH2’s failings. And in the grand scheme of things I think those issues are minor. There just isn’t anything else like COH2 on the market and probably won’t be until DOW3.

It’s certainly hard to argue with the price!

• onionman says:

Actually, you know what, I’m only getting this bundle for Ardennes Assault, Space Marine, and DOW2, so I can gift you codes for COH2 and the expansion armies if you give me your email.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Very cool :)

• alms says:

I’d rather recommend you head over to the forums, looks for the RPS Kindness Club under Game Clubs and General Sociability OK.

Also don’t paste the codes in plain view, ask for people to contact you by PM.

8. gbrading says:

Great way to get CoH 2 for cheap. I was reading about Warhammer’s Imperium yesterday and I previously had little idea about how villainous the entire empire is; they’re all basically ultra-religious zealots. Interesting that the Space Marines have emerged as popular “heroes” despite the side they’re fighting for.

• Dawngreeter says:

Imperium are basically space fascists. However, they also seem to be right about many things – their views on heresy are barbaric, brutal and really not a good basis for a hippie commune but… they are also correct most of the time.

Space Marines are a power fantasy. They are also somewhat removed from the Imperium – they have no particular dogma, other than worshiping the Emperor, and their ideology is pretty much to do as they’re told. Their days are spent either fighting legitimate threats to humankind or training to better fight them. Which makes them a very handy receptacle for a power fantasy.

Harlander says:

I’ve heard it said that part of the premise of 40K was “just how terrible a universe would you need to make fascism justifiable?”

Turns out: pretty terrible.

• Kollega says:

What I personally hate is when some not-very-nice people try to use Warhammer 40k to justify fascism in the real world. It’s all in good fun when me and my chums joke about the grimdark absurdity of the setting, but when less-chummy people show up and start extolling fascism based on how Imperium is “like, totally awesome”, the good fun tends to evaporate.

And yes, that does happen. I wouldn’t have such contempt for 40k if it wouldn’t.

• Dawngreeter says:

I’ve known 40K fans for a large chunk of my life. Most of them way more into it than myself (I never could stomach the absurdly badly made wargame). I have never, ever heard people using Imperium as a basis for praising fascism. I did see nazi-themed Khorne berserkers, but that’s not really at issue.

• Volcanu says:

Well that’s an utterly bizarre standpoint to take. That would be like being holding Lord of The rings in contempt because some idiot made an argument for a return to monarchical government.

Or detesting Star Wars because someone said that the Empire was a good example for a system of government.

On a side note, I have held an unhealthy interest in 40k for a good 15+ years and have never heard anyone connected with the hobby make these claims. So you must hang out with some very strange people.

• Kollega says:

In all likelihood, I just live in the part of the world where praising fascism and other totalitarian systems of government is more acceptable than where you two live, and Warhammer 40k just serves as a convenient go-to example to prove how fascism is “totally awesome and what everyone should adhere to”. But even if it’s the fault of the people I have to put up with, it doesn’t endear the game for me either.

A better example than “detesting Star Wars because someone said that the Empire was a good example for a system of government” would be “ragging on CoD4 because it glorifies warfare”. Even if CoD4 has a very strong anti-war slant, that’s not what it is in popular consciousness. And equally, even if 40k portrays its evil fascist empire doing bad things, they’re still “good guys” in-story, and that’s what a surprisingly large amount of people take away from it.

• Dawngreeter says:

I am suddenly very interested what part of the world you’re from. In my neck of the woods, nationalism and clerofascism are rampant. I just haven’t heard anyone make connections with WH40K.

• Kollega says:

I’m from Kazakhstan, and in the Russian-speaking Internet segment, 40k is pretty damn popular because it plays to the whole “beseiged fortress” fantasy that Russians oh so very much love to indulge in. So in a sense, the reason why many people here use 40k as an argument for fascism is because it plays into a specific preconception that they have. Hell, my own brother mainly read 40k fiction and played DoW for all the war crimes and brutal oppression.

• Dawngreeter says:

Ah, I didn’t realize it was like that in Kazakhstan. I’m from Serbia, Russian power fantasies have their foothold here as well, but not exactly like that. Hooligans and militant nationalists just like wearing Putin’s picture around. But we were never part of Russia, nor are we particularly close to it, so I imagine that’s a crucial bit of difference.

In any case, it was nice getting to kinda know you in this thread :)

• Kollega says:

I think the crucial difference is that Serbia was, for better or for worse, not a major power player in the 20th century, and during the Cold War, it founded the Non-Aligned Movement along with other states composing Yugoslavia. So, from what I understand, you guys never had that “we against the world” mentality that lends the “besieged fortress” fantasy its appeal in Russia and among its supporters.

And sure… I guess so.

• Dilapinated says:

One of the “Ugh, no” moments of being in the WH fandom for me was hanging around WHWorld one day and hearing a staffer extoll the heroism of the Space Marines to 9-12yr olds.

It.. Yeah. I get the impression in older stuff they were a lot more deliberate about them being shits (ala Judge Dredd comics), whereas the modern corporate climate in GW makes pushing the bravenoble Space Marines the current pick.

They’re still assholes in (some) of the fluff, but in the media/advertising/a growing amount of the fic they’re whitewashed as demigod heroes, who do horrible (but necessary & completely justified!!1!) things if you squint at the fiction behind them.

• wengart says:

The alternatives aren’t that great either though.

Orks and Tyranids essentiallny live for war and act much more similarly to a plague of locusts than anything else. They move around the galaxy laying waste to plaet after planet.

The Dark Eldar survive the forces of Chaos through capturing and torturing any living thing they can find.

The Necrons are mechanical beings bent on the destruction of all sentient life.

Chaos spends its time killing people in a multitude of horrific ways. Depending upon the Chaos God that happened your way.

The Eldar are a bunch of bitter, xenophobic space elves that are slowly dying out.

Then you have the Imperium, which is a horrendously violent and cruel empire. However, its control over humanity is really the only thing preventing the almost complete massacre of the humans in the galaxy.

The only truly “good” race is the Tau, but no one really cares about the Tau.

9. BlueTemplar says:

Considering the missing expansions (and paid DLC for DoW2), am I the only one that is a bit angry at Humble Bundle because this looks to be a “completionist’s” trap?

Or do they at least mention what’s missing in the video?

• Bugamn says:

I had similar thoughts. I was interested, but then I noticed that what I want are all the expansions for both DoW and that’s not in the bundle.

• nearly says:

I’m starting to feel a bit crazy / confused. Do they not still wait a couple days and then add more titles? The first thing I thought of was the missing expansions, considering the relatively unexpected beat the average titles like Space Marine. Or is this a different format since they now have a bunch of simultaneous bundles?

10. RogerMellie says:

Another Humble Bundle with region locking :(

And by another I mean 2 that I can remember, so not quite panic stations yet.

• Emeraude says:

It’s like the DRM free. People worry the first few times, and then it becomes business as usual.

• Bugamn says:

Is it region locked? I don’t see that information on the page. Which previous bundles had those problems?

• RogerMellie says:

The Sega bundles are usually locked and the current Nintendo one is too. Total War for example and Sonic.

Not too many but this is the first that I would I have bought :(

Earl-Grey says:

@ Kollega and Dawngreeter

Your little chat about WH40K being used as an example for why fascism = awesomeism up there is one of the many things that remind me why I love reading the comments here on RPS.

Thank you for being excellent on the Internet <3

Earl-Grey says:

Hmpf, I know I pressed the Reply button up there…curses

• frogulox says:

I compleetely agree, i was going to write a similar post but you beat me to it.

im a boring white australian guy, so serbia and kazahkstan are interesting enough to know the spread of the readership. The brief back and forward about the social chemistry therein is an unexpected learning experience.

Oh and WH40k huzzah!

• Dawngreeter says:

I thought it was quite interesting as well, though I believe props should mostly go to Kollega. And you are very welcome :)

• Kollega says:

Yup, you’re most definitely welcome. The cultural perception of something as daft as Warhammer 40k is always an interesting subject to discuss :P

12. Smoky_the_Bear says:

I saw this and though “Oh great!”. Then realised I already own everything available here. Oh well :-P

13. Goodtwist says:

So, a solid 7/10 then?

14. alms says:

For those surprised is missing a lot of DLC: most Humbles come with little or no DLC, exactly because the aim there is to get people to buy DLC.