Dishonored 2 Announced For Spring 2016

Stabtime.

First-person supernatural sneaky murder simulator Dishonored is indeed getting a sequel, which was never in doubt but is still splendid news. Publishers Bethesda last night announced Dishonored 2 [official site], which will let folks travel to a new land to stab faces as either the first game’s face-stabber, Corvo, or the first game’s small girl, Emily Kaldwin.

It’s set 15 years later after she’s received a visit from the Outsider to get her own magic powers, mind. Come see in the announcement trailer.

That bit of pre-rendered action is about all we have to go on for now, but it is pleasing to the eye. I like the look of her powers. Also robots. Beyond that, and word that it’ll launch in spring 2016, I’ll turn you over to fact sheet details for a description of the game:

“Explore a world unlike any other as either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano – both powerful assassins with their own unique set of supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets. Define your own playstyle by blending immersive first-person action, assassination, stealth, mobility and the game’s brutal combat system. Combine the tools at your disposal to creatively eliminate your enemies whether you choose to pursue them unseen or ruthlessly attack head on with weapons drawn. Show no mercy and leave chaos in your wake or find a more subtle way to eliminate your targets. More than ever the choices you make will determine the outcome of each mission, and ultimately the game.”

Yup, that sounds like a Dishonored game all right! And here’s a bit on its plot:

“Dishonored 2 is set 15 years after the Lord Regent has been vanquished and the dreaded Rat Plague has passed into history. An otherworldly usurper has seized the throne from Empress Emily Kaldwin, leaving the fate of the Isles hanging in the balance. As either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano, travel beyond the legendary streets of Dunwall to Karnaca – a once-dazzling coastal city that holds the key to restoring Emily to power. Armed with the mark of the Outsider and powerful new supernatural abilities, hunt down your enemies and forever alter the fate of the Empire.”

This is a video game I am jolly keen to see more of.

[Disclosure: former RPS columnist, occasional RPS newsie, and full-time dear friend Cara Ellison has worked on Dishonored 2.]

Top comments

1. Gap Gen says:

HELLO, EMILY, IT IS I, YOUR NEMESIS. DO YOU LIKE MY HAUNTED HOUSE? IT HAS SLIDING WALLS AND SKELETONS. PLEASE, TAKE A LOOK AROUND, WRECK ALL THE THINGS, TURN INTO SENTIENT FOG.
  1. italianprick says:

Damn i’m excited for this game!

(when you mentioned The Outsider i remembered how silly that character is)

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Nah, he’s exactly the right mix of pulpily hammy and slightly menacing. Plus, his accent helps. I also love that he was made into what he is and that’s why he gives people power to see what they would do with it.

• woodsey says:

He was better in the Daud expansions, he’s clearly getting bored of him and there’s a noticeable edge to his dialogue. In the main game he just felt kind of flat.

2. Kollega says:

Now, this may just be me, but the steampunk robots and more-than-meets-the-eye transforming interiors are… how do I put it… a little too on-the-nose, perhaps? The charm of first Dishonored was that it looked somewhat believable, and the game’s spectacle came from the juxtaposition of Antonov’s trademark futuristic blue steel constructions and the down-to-earth grittiness of Dunwall and the universe beyond – while here, we just see an attempt to impress with over-the-top steampunk technology. Of course, this may be early to judge, but I fear the same fate will befall this game as Borderlands 2, and the new impressive designs will come at a cost of the game feeling aesthetically whole.

That, and the robot just look a little ridiculous.

• MrFinnishDude says:

I thought the same too, well mostly about the Portal 2 style rooms. The robots do look really complicated but they have a that old diesel engine shake in them so I don’t really know. Maybe the futuristic things will have imperfections because they are early models and you could use those to your advantage?

• Kollega says:

I was thinking more of the aesthetic design of the robots. They’re in line with the interior design from the first game, not with the technology design. And I have little doubt that exploiting the imperfections of those robots will play the part in avoiding or dispatching them, but that’s pretty much a given, especially when we remember Thief II and its mechanical guards.

• Philomelle says:

Dishonored is set in a universe where whales bleed liquid aether, in part because its god is a giant eldritch whale from another dimension. I’m really not sure how much more on-the-nose you can get.

• Kollega says:

I’m just going to retort by pointing out that what you say and how you say it are two different things. The actual setting of the original Dishonored was gloriously bonkers, as it, in all likelihood, should have been – but its presentation was articulate and well thought-out, so it didn’t actually look that bonkers. And here, the presentation seems to have taken a few dozen steps towards pure visual spectacle, which I don’t think Dishonored is supposed to be about.

• wengart says:

Aesthetically I agree with you. However, these lithe robots fulfill a gameplay hole that was only really filled in the original by other assassins/the witches.

Duad/Emily have some insane mobility and this prevents a lot of enemies from being able to chase them. The rooftops are your world and the ground is a danger zone. These robots, especially considering the one leaping down after Emily in the trailer, will probably be able to reach on the rooftops and in the player’s traditional “safe” areas.

• SanguineAngel says:

Hello, have I missed something? To which nose are you two referring?

• yonsito says:

Scientific progress leas to the miniaturisation of existing technology and thus enables the delevelopment of magical clockwork engines, powered by miniaturised magical steam engines. Makes sense to me.

• Kollega says:

I think I take the issue more with the aesthetic design of those robots than their actual presence. Having them 15 years after the first game is a stretch, but not impossible (the original did have electricity, microphones, and primitive computer memory in the shape of punchcards) – but in my mind, they would make more sense if they were brutally minimalistic, like the motorized carriages and whaling ships presented in the game.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Keep in mind, this is 15 YEARS. Sokolov and Piero made quicker and more startling advancements in whale oil technology in months, the Walls of Light and Arc Pylons were still being developed at the start of the game and 1-2 months after, when Corvo escapes, are already widely used. Think of what Sokolov and/or Piero can do in 15 years then.

• Kollega says:

That is a very good point, actually. I do remember that Sokolov and Piero are champions of mad science in Dishonored’s world, but considering that Sokolov alone has implemented the Arc Pylons in about six months (the time Corvo was stuck in prison), I didn’t realize just how good they are at their job.

• zaript says:

And there is no other than the Sokolov on the picture behind antagonist back.

• gunny1993 says:

Eh, I think you have to let go of some of that if you ever want to see progress in a game like this … lets face it, the writing wasn’t, well … good. If you know your writing isn’t any good you going to have to up the ante somehow, making the enemies more technologically advanced is a good way to achieve that.

• Qazi says:

I, for one, welcome this new Metal Age.

• Hauskamies says:

The robots kind of made me think it’s an homage to Thief 2 having robots.

3. Kreeth says:

Oooh, looking forward to this. I must get round to playing the Brigmore Witches, I really enjoyed the first chunk of DLC. It did make going back to the main game feel a bit clunky though, having to switch all the powers around rather than having blink on tap.

• somnolentsurfer says:

Definitely find the time to get around to Brigmore Witches. This Steam sale is reminding me how few games a bother to pick up day one these days. This will almost certainly be one that I do, and it’s largely on the strength of Brigmore.

4. Sic says:

Any news on Dishonored Definitive Edition for the PC, yet?

Some people are speculating that it’s just the PC version (ish) running on the new consoles in 1080p, but to me that seems sort of strange (seems a bit lacking).

The game really hasn’t aged well. If this new edition is a noticeable improvement on the PC version, I want it. Even if it’s just a slight upgrade of texture resolution or something similar.

• Zekiel says:

Why hasn’t it aged well? I always thought it looked gorgeous, including when I played the Daud DLC last summer.

• Solidstate89 says:

It looks fine. It’s not even all that old to begin with, why does there need to be some “definitive” edition released?

• Jalan says:

Not sure if serious…

The game was released in 2012 – what does it need to do, have a complete conversion in Unreal Engine 4 for you to be satisfied for a year before saying it looks as though it’s seen better days again?

• thedosbox says:

Not sure if serious. The original art style was not dependent on highly detailed textures, and did not lose anything (IMO) because of it.

5. Jaykera says:

Dishonored is definitely my 2012 GOTY and I can’t wait for this.

That said, I’m a little concerned about those shadow arms / grapple. It looks a lot like the blink power that was caught somewhere between overpowered and mandatory.

I’m ok with the robots too. Don’t they look like a steampunk version of those 4 arms/blades from a recent Star Wars movie ?

• Snidesworth says:

Sounds about right. Blink was invisible, instance and (in the case of Daud’s version) stopped time while you considered where to go. I’m guessing the shadow grapple trades sneakiness for the ability to hang to walls and haul items (and maybe people) towards you.

• Optimaximal says:

They do insinuate that Emily has her own set of powers, some derived from what Corvo had/has, others unique.

6. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

I couldn’t be more thrilled to be able to play as Emily, despite it being a handwaving off of the continuity of two of the possible endings of the original. My hopes are that they fix the conceptually broken Chaos system and that make a better job of fleshing out the secondary characters and their motivation. Also, properly addressing the theme of “does absolute power corrupt absolutely?” through gameplay AND story.
    Otherwise, I’m pretty hyped, because even if the story and characters are mediocre again, the gameplay will still be top-notch. Though I hope they aren’t. Also, Austin Grossman and Harvey Smith are back on board as writers, with the addition of our beloved Cara Ellison! She said so on her FB page and she also mentioned SHODAN.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Also, I hope they take their cues about non-lethal play from the Daud DLCs AND add some more options. Playing non-lethally as Daud was much more fun than playing non-lethally in the main game.

• thedosbox says:

Yeah, I am more psyched about Dishonored 2 than any of Bethesda’s other games, including (whispers it) Fallout4. That Cara Ellison is on the writing team is an added bonus.

• suibhne says:

I’m generally on board with Emily as a playable character, and I hope the fact that Corvo’s also playable doesn’t detract from relationship-building between the two of them. But Corvo and Daud both made sense as subjects for the Outsider to brand; they came into the arrangement with considerable skills. Emily, as Empress…what? Sure, it’s possible we’ll find out she’s been training as a top swordfighter for years, but I’m still concerned this will really break the overall lore about the Outsider. As far as we’ve seen, his (its) intervention doesn’t turn someone into a badass; it takes people who already have incredible skills and endows them with further, supernatural abilities.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Well, seeing as how Emily asked Corvo either in the beginning or during the game if they were going on new climbing lessons, it’s safe to say that the most dangerous man in Dunwall has taught his (step)daughter how to handle herself. Also, the little beggar boy whom the Outsider gave powers to wasn’t much on his own either. I imagine Vera Moray (Granny Rags) wasn’t much before given powers too.

• Kollega says:

Actually, the idea that Emilly has been training as a master swordsman is not that unreasonable after the events of the first game. Fool Corvo once, and you won’t be walking away with your limbs intact. Try to fool Corvo twice, and you won’t even get a chance to approach with your limbs intact.

• Solidstate89 says:

It’s been 15 years since the first game. In that time, we know that Emily has lost her to some usurper. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’d say that’s a safe bet to make that that is the reason why The Outsider gave her some powers – to see what she would do with them to get her throne back.

Second, Corvo has had 15 years to train her how to fight, which, going by the trailer in both how she fights and even how she operates/looks, I think is a pretty safe assumption to make.

Aerothorn says:

Also: if they force me, as a player, to do something incredibly stupid in a cutscene once again, I’m quitting. Dishonored is a fine, fine game but that hateful moment almost ruined it for me.

• Punning Pundit says:

Remind me please about the incredibly stupid thing you’re forced to do in a cut scene?

• mona says:

Drinking the poison, perhaps? It was not the most surprising betrayal I have ever encountered in a game, that’s for sure.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Yeah, I’m not really sure of what you’re taking about either…

7. Zekiel says:

Yet another reason to upgrade my poor old computer…

I LOVED Dishonored (in spite of some flaws) and am hoping to love this. To be honest I’d happy if they could just let you dual-wield powers and fix the Chaos system and otherwise do a similar job to the first one.

• Zekiel says:

Also: I highly approve of being able to play as either a female or male character. Having different powers should increase replayability too, yay!

8. Gap Gen says:

9. SuicideKing says:

Bethesda trailers look very BioShockish…

But damn this game I want to play.

10. eeguest says:

Reminds me of Thief 2: Metal age (introduction of robots in a sequel in a stealth game)

Grizzly says:

Ooh nice, a new Dishonored, I’ll probably pick it up on s…

… *GETS PSYCHED*

12. lordfrikk says:

Fucking finally. Yes, please.

13. Monggerel says:

I BET EMILY CAULDRON TOTES WEARS HIGH HEELS YO

Which I find moderately irritating. STOP WEARING HIGH HEELS I KNOW THEY’RE EXTREMELY IMPRACTICAL
    YOU THINK YOU’RE VERY CLEVER VIDEO-GAME INDUSTRY, BUT IT’S FLAT FOOTWEAR ALL THE WAY DOWN

• Gap Gen says:

There’s a shot of her feet at 45 seconds into that video. She doesn’t have completely flat soles, but they’re not high heels or anything.

14. ChiefOfBeef says:

“Disclosure: former RPS columnist, occasional RPS newsie, and full-time dear friend Cara Ellison has worked on Dishonored 2.]”

Oh for a second I thought this was going to be another one of those tiresome ‘jokes’ about how proper disclosure is unreasonably burdensome. Turns out it isn’t.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Those jokes aren’t about how disclosure is “unreasonably burdensome”, more opportunities to tell daft stories.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Daft as in funny or daft as in ‘a waste of everybody’s time’? If funny, it would have been better had they been self-depreciating, rather than the nasty punching-down that they actually were.

• thedosbox says:

RPS can never win. First there were complaints about lack of disclosure. Then, when the disclosure occurs, there are complaints about the tone. Why do you still read this site?

15. Synesthesia says:

oof, that looks utterly fantastic.

16. phelix says:

I hope they have the same art director, that guy who also worked on HL2. His lighting and scene composition turns ordinary levels into works of art.

17. typographie says:

Hooray for Cara, I had no idea she got a job at Arkane!! Glad to see she’s worked on this game, that gives me quite a bit of hope for it.

18. Ysellian says:

My favourite game since deus ex! Im really liking emily as a main character, day one purchase.

19. iambecomex says:

Oh, yes please, even if it will likely cripple my laptop.

I do wish they’d used Billy Lurk as the lead, though. She seemed absolutely suited to it; experience with powers, off to a new land, looking for a fresh start yet easy to see her falling back on old ways. Plus, it’s not like there’s a lot of non-white female leads about. Oh, and I hope they have lead voiceovers – Daud was all the more compelling for it.

PS Yay for Cara!

20. SanguineAngel says:

I think Emily might be one of the coolest game protagonists I’ve seen in quite a while!

21. kament says:

Explore a world unlike any other as either Emily Kaldwin or Corvo Attano

I’m really interested in how this works. I mean, say you choose to play as Emily, then Corvo what, goes: Yeah, so I’m going on this trip and I expect you to sort out this mess by the time I come back, bye. What do you mean help? You’re not a little girl anymore! Geez.

• Josh W says:

I can imagine them incapacitating him in a cutscene relatively easily if they needed to, even with his various powers. All he needs to be doing is putting himself in danger to save her. If you play as him, he succeeds and carries on, if you play as her, he partially succeeds at cost to himself, and you react to this and then carry on as her.

22. Punning Pundit says:

I found the chaos system well done in the DLC: you’re an assassin. If you go on a bloody rampage, your followers begin thinking you’re sloppy, and thus will do away with you. Smart!

23. derbefrier says:

My one hope is that they balance the supernatural powers better this time around and up the difficulty a few notches all around. I liked the first one but it was so easy i got bored with it pretty quickly. Even on the hardest dificulty your powers still made things easy as hell and a big part of that was blink. Blink should be removed from the game. Just give me the ability to wall run and mantle up in ledges and. Thats all i need That could be my fault i guess as an expirienced thief player.

I

• somnolentsurfer says:

Blink is what made Dishonored Dishonored.

• kament says:

Well, yeah. It was Blink that dishonored Dishonored, though we of course got used to it.

• Kiytan says:

It could be very easy if you got lots of powers. My favourite run of the game was one where I only used the tier I agility (the one that gave you double jump) as that felt much more difficult, whilst still allowed you to access a lot of the more fun walkways, rooftops etc, that you can’t if you do a full no powers run.

That said, I hope in the sequel the guards look up slightly more.

After writing all this…I need to go replay all of dishonored (and the excellent DLC)

24. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Cara found a job? That’s awesone!
    Game looks aight I guess. Dishonored was aight.