Oh Godus! 22cans Release Godus Wars Into Early Access

As if one unfinished Godus game weren’t enough, Peter Molyneux’s studio 22cans have launched another. Godus Wars arrived [official site] is out on Steam Early Access today. It appears to be a combat-oriented spin-off with the fighty improvements that 22cans had billed as coming to the original Godus. Folks who bought or backed Godus get Godus Wars free, and it even comes with Godus thrown in, but I’m still not really sure why it’s a separate game.

First, the basics: Godus Wars is a skirmish RTS with AI opponents. Two deities square off by sculpting land, raising armies, summoning their godly powers, and activating special abilities with their selection of ‘cards’ collected by playing.

According to Eurogamer, who played it and interviewed Molyneux, it’s pretty basic now. 22cans plan to expand it, add multiplayer, then work on that ‘god of gods‘ jazz.

Now shall we have a little history lesson? Let’s. Godus is a strategy ‘god game’ from 22cans, the new studio of former Bullfrog and Lionhead co-founder Peter Molyneux, who was hugely influential through games including Syndicate, Populous, Theme Park, and Dungeon Keeper. Godus was to be a return to his god game glory days, a pitch which raised £526,563 on Kickstarter in 2012. When the first release arrived in 2013, it was barebones and so far from what people expected. And then improvements and expansions were slow to arrive. And then 22cans said they might never finish everything the Kickstarter billed. And then John had a word with Peter Molyneux about its many failings and oh gosh.

So here we are now, with Godus still far short of the game they pitched to pledgers, and things that look like they were supposed to be in Godus being in a separate game. 22cans say they haven’t abandoned Godus, but don’t say what they are doing with it. “The release of Wars proves that we are still dedicated to Godus,” they say.

Why a separate game, given that it even includes Godus? Molyneux explains its origins in a Steam post, but that’s mostly talking about additions and changes they started when trying to improve Godus. It sounds a bit like their experiments went too RTS-y, too far from god game. So what’s happening with improving Godus’s own combat?

I’d guess they’re also hoping Godus Wars will become a little success of its own, shaking off Godus’s stigma and – perhaps more importantly – the weight of those negative Steam reviews. That Eurogamer bit says 22cans need to sell tens of thousands of copies to see their plan through, which EG present as not being that many but to me sounds pretty high considering how well Godus has gone down. As a separate game, Godus Wars starts with a clean review slate.

Anyway. It’s £10.99 on Steam Early Access for wild and trusting dreamers. I’ll wait to see how it shapes up, thanks.

1. marmite says:

I assume making it a separate game means they can start fresh with the user reviews.

• Auru says:

This was the exact thought that ran through my mind when I saw the title… 22cans, what a joke.

2. Neurotic says:

Cue vitriolic bile and rampant, knuckle-whitening hate. Personally though, I really like Godus and I’m glad they’re still working on the whole thing.

• Thurgret says:

Where?

• Jeremy says:

It saddens me that we live in a world where expressing disappointment, having valid complaints, and being upset that a game didn’t live up to it’s promises is considered “vitriolic bile.”

• jrodman says:

On the bright side, few people consider it such.

• Sin Vega says:

I think you’ve missed a LOT if that’s all you’ve seen. Yes, those are all completely valid, but many people are still going way beyond that into blind malice even now (though at least, not above this comment as far as I can see).

• Morcane says:

Some seriously butt-hurt people here. :>

Big tip: don’t buy into early access or Kickstarters, don’t buy into hype trains. Profit.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

Not spending money isn’t profit, it’s not spending money.

Actually making money? Profit.

• Viral Frog says:

You’re right. I love games that are released unfinished, with piles of lies from the developer and hopes that will never be fulfilled. Stupid entitled people complaining about a product that they were promised but never received. How dare they be angry.

3. Da5e says:

Cyber-X *will* be pleased!

4. Yachmenev says:

They fucked up with Godus, no doubt, but if there efforts to move it forward are condemned, then they’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. I rather see him try to salvage this, how unorthodox their methods might be, then them just giving up.

I was backer of Godus, were unhappy with it, and I have pretty much written it of. But considering that I expected Godus to be like Populous, I think this title actually moves it closer to my expectations.

I’m of course reserving my judgement until I see regular updates of this, but if this actually turns out to be interesting, then I – as a backer of Godus – couldn’t care less about what happens with the mobile game abomination that Godus ended up being.

• Baines says:

Their efforts to continue are questioned and mocked because of what those efforts are.

Godus is toxic at this point. 22cans has two viable options in that regard. They either get as far away from Godus as they can (while hoping their next project works well enough to redeem their reputation) or they double down on making Godus a great game. They have done neither. Now they are even rubbing salt in the wound with a Godus spin-off.

The sheer idea of either 22cans or Molyneux selling an unfinished game is toxic. It doesn’t matter if it is crowdfunding, Early Access, or even just pre-orders. One of the very last things that 22cans should be doing at the moment is selling an unfinished game. So of course not only are they doing a Godus spin-off, they are selling it as an Early Access title.

The only thing that 22cans has done right has been to stop Molyneux from speaking to the public.

• Baines says:

Oops, better amend that last sentence. After all, Molyneux has resumed speaking to both the press and the public in order to promote this game.

• melnificent says:

Their efforts are to shutdown godus asap and continue with Godus wars. The difference seems minimal but…

Cancelling Godus in Early Access means they have a hell of a lot of kickstarter refunds and Early Access refunds. They failed to deliver, now it’s time to give the money back.

Godus is being removed from the store, this will hide it to all but current owners. It will hide the negative rating amongst other thigns.

Godus Wars has no dedicated General discussion on either 22cans or steam. Shutting down dissent on one hand but also any chances of building a community at all. The message it sends out appears to be give us your money and shutup.

It is not an effort to move forward it is an effort to hide from responsibility and pretend that the unpleasantness of Godus never happened.

You know how they are pushing it as “two separate games all along”, check kickstarter… it was 2 halves of a whole. Complementing each other, not gouging customers for more cash.

• Yachmenev says:

I can only speak for myself, but if they continue to update Godus Wars, I as a backer, will be happy with that. I will not request a refund if Godus is cancelled.

What Godus Wars wants to be, is the game I backed.

Whatever they talked about with connected worlds, etc. I don’t care.
        The campaign in Godus, that’s suffers from their awful descision to make a F2P mobile game and port that to PC? Don’t care. Scrap that shit.

I wanted something like Populous. And Populous was combat focused. You built to conquer. Godus Wars sounds more like that then Godus. I hope they focus on Godus Wars.

For me to be interested in Godus, they would have to tear it up completely and rewrite it from scratch. And that’s not going to happen. With this approach, I have the chance to finally get something interesting from the kickstarter, so I support that. This can end up like shit, of course, but I rather see them attempt this then refund my money.

If others feel different, then that’s their battle to take. I don’t care.

5. Ethaor says:

Molyneux just cannot afford early access or kickstarters.

He needs to develop and finish a great game in the likes of B&W, Populous or Dungeon Keeper. Maybe then will he get some trust back.

• Talahar says:

My thoughts precisely.

• jrodman says:

Populous, at its core, was a weekend hack of a game.

I’m a little unsure if lightning can be found in the bottle again, but that style of development seems way more likely to work out than a slow plod of visionless iteration on a lifeless core.

6. Telkir says:

I’m probably one of only a few people who like Godus’s way of handling the landscape and how you terraform it. Ignoring the whole ruckus of Kickstarter and debating which promises have been fulfilled and which haven’t, Godus isn’t a terrible game. It’s by no means an amazing game… but it’s playable enough, if you like “ambient” games and can see past the fairly awful UI.

Haven’t tried Godus Wars yet but it seems at least that the UI is designed with a more appropriate style. It’s good that 22Cans are doing something. Now try to keep the updates rolling.

7. Rhodokasaurus says:

You know, there’s so many games nowadays, why even bother playing unfinished or mediocre ones? The only reason to even mention Molyneaux anymore is to laugh at him.

• zaphod42 says:

>The only reason to even mention Molyneaux anymore is to laugh at him.

Yeah I think that’s the whole point here.

8. Monti says:

I got my copy of Godus from a bundle site. Godus Wars did show up in my games list on Steam, so it looks like they are giving it to everybody who purchased Godus at some point in time and not just those who backed the KickStarter.

I wonder if this (or ANY further development) would have happened if it wasn’t for that interview.

9. gbrading says:

I’m almost surprised to see RPS covering this, given what happened last year between them and Molyneux. As I’ve said before, I still think that Molyneux has never set out to deliberately deceive or dupe people, but he is guilty of consistently over-promising and eventually under-delivering.

• Thurgret says:

Gosh, was that only a year ago?

• melnificent says:

He did deliberately set out to dupe people with regards to the kickstarter (link to pcgamesn.com) The exact quote is

“There’s this overwhelming urge to over-promise because it’s such a harsh rule: if you’re one penny short of your target then you don’t get it,” said Molyneux of his experience with Kickstarter.

“And of course in this instance the behaviour is incredibly destructive, which is, ‘Christ, we’ve only got 10 days to go and we’ve got to make £100,000, for fuck’s sake, let’s just say anything’. So I’m not sure I would do that again.”

• Baines says:

There were also the bits that after running a Kickstarter campaign on the promise of being able to produce a specific game within a specific time if given a specific amount of money:
        1) He joked about how people knew he never managed to deliver games on time.
        2) He admitted that he asked for the amount of money he believed he could get, rather than the amount of money he believed he actually needed, because he was afraid that asking for too much would risk the Kickstarter failing, and a failed Kickstarter would mean that he received no money at all.

So yeah, he sold a game project based on a release date that he didn’t believe in and on a “budget” that he knew would be insufficient.

• Simbosan says:

I what way is overpromising NOT lying? You will be saying next that he didn’t lie, and just “mis-spoke” (aka lied).

• noodlecake says:

If you say something that you believe to be true, then you are not lying. It doesn’t matter whether the thing you said and believed to be true when you said it doesn’t happen. I don’t believe that he is lying when he excitedly promises things and then they turn out not to be feasible.

10. ran93r says:

Oh for the love of Christ.
    Where’s me barge pole?

11. Bull0 says:

Why Godus Wars? If they want to break from the stigma (and seriously, they should want that) why not change the art style a little bit, give it a new name, and let Godus die. You can still give it free to all the Godus owners, you can still say that it’s the spiritual continuation of the sort of thing you told everyone you were going to do with Godus.

• zaphod42 says:

Changing the art style would require even more work, and they can’t deliver on Godus’ as-is. They don’t need to be making things worse for themselves.

This is literally just a re-branding of Godus’ to dodge the negative steam reviews. Its pretty scammy.

12. Hunchback says:

lol

13. airknots says:

As things stand, this is the most logical thing Molyneux can do. He dug a really deep hole for himself, and he’s got extremely limited options on what to do next, like Fallout 4 dialogue wheel.

14. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Well this is an interesting development. You guys should have had John write this up, so it could have been filled with tabloid-style paxmanesque vitriol.

John Walker says:

I’d delete your asinine remark, but I’m too busy enjoying your not knowing what “tabloid” means.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

My referral to tabloids comes from your opening statement to your interview. Very sensationalist, and I think very fitting to tabloid journalism. You know best though.

That being said, you knew what you were doing, knew what you were publishing and I think it was a pretty shitty thing to do, so I made a sarcastic comment on that.

I know PM needed a serious slap on the wrist for his behaviour, which was particularly twatty, but it’s always been clear he’s a flawed but passionate man, and your attitude toward him the whole time just seemed designed to kick a man downed. Very fitting again for tabloids.

• Terribleperson says:

Please explain how the man who made off with everyone’s money while admitting he has not delivered their goods is the one who is ‘down’?

If you read that story and believe justice is needed for Peter Molyneux, your blind lady needs some serious calibration.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I don’t believe for a second that justice is needed for PM. You didn’t even read my post. He made a serious error and I believe he is to be held accountable. However I don’t believe he is a man of the intent to ‘make off with everyone’s money’. He’s a legendarily hard working man, and I believe his story is of a man who has fucked up, and is too many steps behind said fuck up to make it right.

Yes, I believe he has been an idiot, and yes I think he needs to fix it. But opening an interview with ‘do you think you’re a pathological liar’, then proceeding to try and catch him out for an hour and a half is a really nasty piece of journalism. Those words written by John are going to be there forever, for people to scrutinize and use to bash PM, and it feels like he hasn’t given much consideration to that fact, instead giving more consideration to the page views given to those words, and folk songs that will presumably be written about them.

• Captain Deadlock says:

*slow hand clap*

Well done. Super pious. Bringing the rectum to moral rectitude

• pennywyz says:

I understand the desire to respond to criticism, especially when it is delivered in a sarcastic manner, but there is no need to stoop even further by insulting someone’s intelligence.

The interview with Molyneux was intense and deliberately so. Many people, including myself, thought that it crossed the line into disrepectful (even though I think it was an important topic to write about). Is it surprising that some readers would react with a similar degree of intensity?

I came to this site because I enjoy the different perspective, as well as the quality of writing. I really enjoy the reader comments, which by and large are thoughtful and respectful (especially compared to other sites). I also really enjoy the interaction the journalists have with readers, which is also usually very thoughtful and respectful.

Unfortunately I feel like there have been a few times recently where the journalists on this site have felt the need to join in the mud slinging. It’s really off putting.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

To be fair,I found opening with the line “…are you a pathological liar?” to be somewhat disrespectful of someone giving their time (and a good deal of it).

What was he supposed to answer? Yes? He answers no, he’s probably lying, he answers yes, why bother with the interview?

It’s not that I feel any particular need to defend PM, he was grossly incompetent at best, and deceitful at worst… but I just don’t feel comfortable it was a great way to kick off the interview.

If I’m going to praise PM at all, it was for sticking around after that opening.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

Just to add to this a little – It was probably long past the time that PM had a “reckoning” for his consistent talking up of features that never materialised. So I guess there is a school of thought that says if you consistently do that, the way that the public/press respond to you is out of your control.

• Baines says:

The pathological liar question isn’t a question without an answer. At least if you haven’t been lying.

If you aren’t a pathological liar, and you haven’t been lying, then you answer “no”. You then proceed to properly defend your actions in the interview. If you can adequately justify your acts in an interview that had such a hostile opening, then you’ll look even better for it. (And if the interviewer decides to cut that opening, then you have a bit of ammo that you can drop in a future interview.)

If you are a pathological liar, then you either say yes or no, then proceed to get caught in lies. You are probably going to look bad, but hopefully the interview will act as a wake-up call where either you or someone with influence in your life proceeds to seek the help that you need.

You only really get into trouble when you have been responsible for some dubious statements and cannot properly defend yourself. Which is what happened with Molyneux.

Walker did shoot himself in the foot with that opening, though. Molyneux seemed perfectly willing to hang himself, so the strong opening wasn’t necessary to trip him up. Instead, the opening acted as a smoke screen, creating in a sizable crowd a feeling of sympathy *towards* Molyneux, who was perceived as being “bullied” by Walker’s “ambush”.

teije says:

I assume by “tabloid-style paxmanesque” you’d like to see topless PacMan on page 3?

15. Chaoslord AJ says:

Hope always prevails and people forgive and let’s move on and Molyneux releases a good game again.
    Really, folks?

I’m off to steam to watch the flames. :)

16. Velko says:

ahhahahaha nope.

17. TK-093 says:

Am I the only one who wants a Powermonger remake? That was such a fun game.

• jrodman says:

I’d enjoy a spiritual successor to powermonger, but I don’t think 22cans is capable of delivering it.

18. Hobbes says:

I’ve now played it.

Oh god.

It’s worse than anyone could imagine.

It’s a cut and shut. Half Unity, Half WebGL I think.

Every time you change resolution in full screen, it blacks out for a while whilst it thinks about it, every time you switch from the menus/strategic map, it needs a while to think about it as it passes over to the WebGL stuff. It’s TERRIBLE.

It’s like they’ve taken the worst parts of Battlelog, the RTS section of Divinity Dragon Commander (which was a wonderful game but nobody would ever claim the RTS was outstanding), and the worst parts of GODUS, and then stuffed them into a can of surströmming.

It is THAT bad.

• caff says:

I had to google surströmming, but having spent time with Godus, it turned out to be exactly what I thought it might be.

19. zaphod42 says:

>As a separate game, Godus Wars starts with a clean review slate.

This seems really scammy to me, but I expect no less of Peter Molyneux these days.

phuzz says:

Ever since Black and White I’ve done my best to ignore the Molyneux-hype, and wait until I’ve read a few reviews before I buy his games.
    I’ve not bought a Peter Molyneux game since Black and White.

21. Morgan Joylighter says:

I have to wonder how John feels about being the journalist who broke Peter Molyneux. The guy has been around for the majority of the history of PC gaming so that’s no small thing. I don’t even remember the last time I saw a journalist get under someone’s skin that deeply and efficiently and bring about real, tangible changes in the destiny of even a small company. I like and respect both RPS/John and Molyneux so I’m happy to see that the latter seems to be rising from the ashes a stronger and wiser (or at least more cautious) man, but wow did that Eurogamer interview really drive home how deeply John’s interview affected him.

• Person of Interest says:

Thanks for highlighting the Eurogamer article: wow indeed, that John’s phone interview a year ago is still rippling through Peter’s mind.

22. pistachio says:

Reading the comments, apparently there has been controversy about this game, but I really like how it looks and I would love to play a good game using this engine. The plateau landscape is a stroke of genius, surely I can’t be the only one thinking this?

I don’t care if creative people mess up in business or PR as long as they strive to make something good, even if they can’t deliver. Disappointed early-access buyers only have themselves to blame, you ignorant fools are poisoning your our well by giving people money for a promise. Stop doing that!

I hope Molyneux makes this game work.

• stringerdell says:

Without the disappointed early access buyers giving money for a promise, Molyneaux would have to get another job. Personally I blame the developer that couldnt stop making wild promises while squandering backers money.

The man no longer has any credibility and rightly so. Anyone that gives him money at this point is throwing it away

• Rindan says:

To be blunt, if you give that guy money for an unfinished early access game, you are at best ignorant, and at worst a moron.

When you give someone money for something that isn’t finished, and they ALWAYS below the money and produce crap, don’t be surprised when they do it again. I hope Molyneux actually makes a worthwhile game. I also hope my retirement portfolio goes up %10,000 this year so I can retire.

Wish Molyneux luck, but don’t give him your money for anything that isn’t finished and well reviewed. If you have too much money that you desperately need to get rid of, just give it to a charity rather than a guy who has already made a tidy little bundle off of suckers.

23. Chem says:

Guys don’t do it! Don’t give Molyneux money! Quickly withdraw all your money and light it on fire to be safe!

• vorador says:

Better yet! Give all your money to me! I will make sure it stays as far away from Molyneux as possible!!

24. tomimt says:

I haven’t played Godus, I only know it of its reputation, but would the reason for a seperate Wars game be, that in the end Godus was just built for the kind of a game in mind Wars is? They tried to put Wars in original Godus, but that would have meant that they’d have to built most of Godus from scratch, so they decided that it’s just easier to make a seperate branch of it.

• wyrm4701 says:

It’s a nice thought, but this is just the ‘Combat Update’ that was supposed to arrive several months ago, repackaged as a separate game. There doesn’t appear to be any reason to package it separately, other than to try generate good press and leave the overwhelmingly bad reviews of Godus behind.

25. Banks says:

This is funny as hell.

26. vorador says:

At this point, this is almost a comedy. Any sane developer would have stayed as far away as possible from the brand Godus. Specially when releasing another early access title.

Molyneux? He’s too go(o)d for that. I can almost picture him: “You will eat your Godus like it or not!!”

27. Phantasma says:

Oh come on!
    Yes the interview was tough but in my opinion long, long overdue.

For a time his constant overpromising was cute, like the nutty but charming uncle going wild at the dinner table, but more than a decade later it reeeally lost its magic. Having big dreams is wonderful, but they are best put to use at early development stages to, you know, create something outstanding from them, not using them as PR bait shortly before the the damn thing ships.
    And he did that, time and time again.

He would promise you the world (‘i’ve learned from all my mistakes, honestly, and i swear by my hamsters grave Fable 3 will be completely different’. Not even 2 weeks later he proudly stated that he might have been wrong about that.).

And the whole press gave him free passes. Especially UK based publications. Initially it didn’t bother me much. If i’m not interested in something i just ignore it.
    But it was such a relief for someone finally pointing out that selling dreams, if the dream ultimately is nowhere to be seen in the finished work, and pulling this trick a dozen times in a row, stops being nice and cooky even for uncle Pete.
    So thank you John for doing the industry a service. We need more interviews like this, not less.
    Because, although Molyneux was the most charming of the bunch, developers automatically promising the moon in creative endeavours because we will buy into the hype anyway is an oblique thing to do. And so damn wide-spread.

Molyneux didn’t have a thoroughly good game since Dungeon Keeper. Even Black & White was more of an interesting tech demo than a well-rounded, finished experience.
    Not to mention the Fables (1 was alright but i didn’t read any coverage at the time so i couldn’t have been that disappointed about trees not growing out of acorns. A nice little ARPG, but nothing that any other dev could not have made either. Fable 3 was a complete abortion though).

Yes you can rest on your laurels for a bit. But 15 years, please, if he wants money for it, it should be good and not rely on his name alone.

I don’t have anything personal against the guy. I’d WISH he made good (or even average) games again, because some of his output in the 90s was nothing short of spectacular.
    But by now i’m adamantly sure the whole Bullfrog team, not him as the sole mastermind, were responsible for that. So these times are over anyway, time to move on.

And the whole Godus debacle was just a final showcase in how much he lost it. Now rebranding the whole mess to Godus Wars to it a clean slate on Steam does not look like anything changed either.

• Phantasma says:

On the other hand, if Molyneux was somwhow able to dream up an edit button for RPS, i would retract all my former statements and personally heave him up into the Gaming Olymp again.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

You got some points certainly but you also say the media gave him free passes so where’s the point on bashing him now of a sudden based on that.
      I use to read interviews from weekly political and “investigative” magazines. They use to interview questionable folks and dictators and they never shout “admit it you’re a crook” or similar to their face as this is easily sidestepped.
      Usually they set up some contradictions and leave it for the reader to draw the lines (like someone’s a crook). Interviewers ask questions, they don’t answer them – in a nutshell.

• Fiatil says:

It sounds to me like you’ve described John’s interview with Molyneux pretty well! He opened with a pointed question, not an assertion. Just as you say, he was leading Molyneux down a path with his questions, harsh as they may have been.

Agree with the OP that the interview style was 100% warranted. I grew up on Molyneux hype; Black and White is by far the most anticipated game of my entire life, and I bought into all of the early Fable hype too. Fortunately the public development of just those two games was around 7 years, and I matured enough during the process to realize that buying an Xbox just for the promises of Fable was a really bad idea.

But, I was silly enough to watch a pre-release video for Black and White 2 about a month before launch, wherein Molyneux proclaimed that they were aiming for and believed they could make it the “Best RTS ever” (Even then he phrased it as a “I know I’m going to get killed for this, but this time it’s for real.” kind of way!), and I bought that one too. It neutered everything that was fun about Black and White 1, and I was very sad.

Still would have probably kickstarter backed Godus if I wasn’t a broke college student at the time! So yeah, this whole thing is pretty warranted. Godus was the worst because it was Kickstarter money instead of publisher money, but the guy has been doing it for so so long. It is a completely valid question from many of his (ex)-fans to wonder if he is actually a pathological liar.

Plus, he seemed to get it in the Eurogamer interview. Doesn’t seem thrilled with John, but he at least claims to have taken it as a big wake up call to do a lot of self-reflection. I’m not taking any of that at face value, but it seems odd to continue to debate the RPS interview content when Molyneux himself seems to realize it was warranted.

• Baines says:

Molyneux’s own words described an act of willful fraud. It is just that Molyneux didn’t seem to perceive his act as fraud. (Instead, Molyneux just seemed to see it as how he’s always conducted business, and how everyone conducts business.)

As for “admit it, you’re a crook”-type accusations in general, I’ve seen them done over the years by respected journalists in interviews with politicians, businessmen, and the like. I’d say that it mostly happens out of frustration, after it becomes blatantly obvious that the subject is sticking to their world fiction no matter what the interviewer says or what hard evidence is shown. At some point, some interviewer just gets fed up and calls them out on it, because regular interview tactics are useless with such subjects (and even arguably help such subjects.) And someone who sticks to his world fiction pretty much described Peter Molyneux at that point.

28. Viral Frog says:

It’s a seperate game because Molyneux doesn’t know his head from his ass. That’s okay, though. I don’t think anyone else does either, at this point.

29. Ako says:

At this point, if you give him your money you deserve to be given a shitty game in return.

30. melnificent says:

If John asks Peter why he broke the promise to not talk to the press again I’ll never quit subbing to RPS again, ever, ever, ever…
    Even when it’s just articles that say Rhubarb over and over again.

31. Captain Deadlock says:

At first glance it looks like a shit version of “Populous: The Beginning”, which I really enjoyed and would prefer to play again 18 years later rather than even bother downloading the free copy of Godus Wars.

Best to spin this as a positive – the more car-crash Kickstarter / Early Access bombs there are, the more likely that the confidence trickster sector of the industry might just wither away and die.

32. Sicktag says:

They also closed off the forums on steam so ppl can’t say negative things about Godus Wars. 22 cans has never finished a game in their 3 years or so of being in business. I am tired of this Early access crap that companies cash out on a half finished game and move on with your money.

teije says:

Interesting. There’s no General Discussion forum (like there is for every other game on Steam) and most of the posts in the subforums are pinned emptiness from the devs, mixed with some alternating plaintive/angry posts from people in the subforums, before their threads get deleted.

Fun times.

33. sweenish says:

That interview last year was what made me a regular reader. It was refreshing to see a gaming journalist actually go after someone instead of just finding new ways to ask them how awesome their game is.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, what a man of convictions.

‘Then there’s, say, GODUS. Over half a million raised, and, well, it’s for sale and so far it’s not very good at all. And of course, that’s just fine.’

By John Walker on February 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

‘It’s three years later! People gave you half a million pounds and you’ve taken their money–
      […]
      ‘How long should backers wait for you to deliver the game they paid for three years ago?’

By John Walker on February 13th, 2015 at 12:37 pm

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Strange. In January ’11 it was fine that GODUS was a disaster. A year and one month later, it became a crime against humanity.

All of this from a man who doesn’t understand that install routines for DX and .NET and VS++ are incredibly important for a PC game.

‘DON’T: install DirectX without checking which version I currently have. Nor a .NET framework, whatever that is. And yes Steam, I’m mostly talking to you. Just what are you doing?’

By John Walker on February 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Walker even repeated this, verbatim, in December of 2011, after Alec Meer had done a piece about why these installs are important a mere 3 months prior.

‘Dependencies may also change every time a new version of DirectX is released. On top of this, Microsoft prevents anyone else from distributing standalone DX files themselves, so “the only way to distribute them is to run the installer, that’s also the only supported method from Microsoft to check that the correct version installed.” ‘

By Alec Meer on August 3rd, 2011 at 2:29 pm

link to rockpapershotgun.com

‘DON’T install DirectX without checking which version I currently have. Nor a .NET framework, whatever that is. And yes Steam, I’m mostly talking to you. Just what are you doing?’

By John Walker on December 29th, 2011 at 12:13 pm

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Wow. What amazing integrity.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah, what a man of convictions.

Kickstarter Pledges Are Risky Investments, Not Purchases
      By John Walker on February 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm.

[…]

Peter Molyneux Interview: “I haven’t got a reputation in this industry any more”
      By John Walker on February 13th, 2015 at 12:37 pm.

Rules For Games: Do & Don’t #3
      By John Walker on February 8th, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Walker even repeated this, verbatim, in December of 2011, after Alec Meer had done a piece about why these installs are important, a mere 3 months prior.

Why Steam Makes You Reinstall DirectX
      By Alec Meer on August 3rd, 2011 at 2:29 pm.

The Complete Rules For Games
      By John Walker on December 29th, 2011 at 12:13 pm.

Wow. What amazing integrity.

34. Chaoslord AJ says:

It somehow sad how he started as a hero and became a villain over time driven by an ambition he couldn’t live up to – to create games with aging characters and growing trees and learning creatures.

He would make a good video game RPG character.

35. melnificent says:

Final note for this “game” it’s gone full on mobile on PC… I present to you In-App-Purchases for each island after the first (ie, levels) So it’s £10.99 for the first level and an extra cost for each after that.

link to steamcommunity.com

36. Lethys says:

I feel sad that Peter’s developed this reputation for being so misleading, but Godus was really abysmal compared to both Populous and Black and White. an iPad game on PC is not what people wanted to fund when he referred to his older God games in the Kickstarter pitch.

37. Captain Deadlock says:

This is the Steam blurb describing Godus:

“If you’ve not had the chance to play our delightful, Zen-like re-genesis of the god game on Windows PC or Mac OS X, there’s never been a better time to do so! Now more than ever, as we’re currently making full use of our opt-in branch by running a rapid build release schedule during our PC-focused sprint.”

For fuck’s sake. Do people not realise what an absolute turn-off all this “agile” project management talk is? Why the fuck don’t you just call yourselves “web masters” or tattoo “DORK” on your forehead in neon ink? Blah blah blah branch blah blah build blah blah sprint. Just fuck off and FINISH A GAME FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIVES.

• PsychoWedge says:

well, because language is a tool you use to alter the perception of reality. or as John Stewart put it so aptly in his final speech on TDS: “Bullshit is everywhere…” ^^

• wyrm4701 says:

Ugh, please, Hallowed Spirit of Base Functionality, return to us our Edit Button, for we know not what we did to anger you. We shall make the necessary sacrifices and/or stop the unnecessary sacrifices, assuming we can be bothered and that the neighbourhood wildlife STOPS STARING AT ME

Anyway, that review I mentioned is here, it’s pretty accurate.