Godus Wars Scraps Surprise In-Game Charges

Godus Wars [official site], the second unfinished Godus game from development team 22Cans, costs £11 on Steam. And until a few moments ago, once you’d battled through the first continent of its combat-focused spin-off, to play any more of the game cost another $5. Yup, this new “free to owners of Godus” early access, severely unfinished game included surprise premium in-game purchases! Unsurprisingly, on discovering this, already angry players became even angrier, and let their feelings be known. A taken-aback 22Cans have just announced they’re removing this charge, while expressing astonishment that anyone should have minded it.

“I always imagined Godus being two games, one tranquil, one war like,” says Peter Molyneux in the opening screen of Godus Wars. He’d kept this fragment of his imagination a closely guarded secret over the last couple of years, what with the original Kickstarter stating Godus would be “Half a living sandbox world, and half a strategy game”, somewhat suggesting half + half equalling one, not two. And when we spoke to him last year about the missing combat he explained, “we have to put [in] absolutely amazing, incredible combat, and this is totally unique combat, and the reason this is totally unique combat is that we have to solve one fundamental problem and that is how do you mix an RTS game with a god game.” Apparently by secretly never having intended to!

It is a fortunate coincidence that the announcement and release of a second early access Godus game, Godus Wars, provides a fresh start for 22Cans’ project on Steam, giving it a new store page that doesn’t boast thousands of negative reviews (at the time of writing the new page is on only 86 reviews – 73% of them negative).

I’ve had a play of the new game to see what’s on offer. Obviously in early access, the game – much like its two and a half year old predecessor – is currently incomplete, intending to develop in response to player feedback. Perhaps one of the things that will be fixed in time will the game running two instances of itself at the same time when you go into battle, flickering between the two windows, each dancing liberally around the screen. Battle over, that new version of the game shuts down, the other hidden behind other windows appears to pick up the baton. That’s quite odd.

Battles are extremely simple (for you – the enemy looks like it’s always having an awful lot more fun, with access to far more interesting things) – you repeatedly scrape the mouse cursor over the land to raise or lower it, in a way that’s fiddly, tiresome, and just about the opposite of what made Populous so much fun nearly 30 years ago, in order to create more land on which your minions can build. More land means more buildings, more buildings means more belief, and more belief means you can build a citadel, and thus grow armies. And that’s pretty much it. As more belief appears you can grown your citadel, or build new ones, and then form a little gang of troops to go take out the enemy’s base. By clicking on them, then it, then waiting.

Meanwhile another unseen enemy AI is taking over territories on the same continent, with your clashing inevitably around the corner. As you progress you receive cards to play in your next battle, that might give you a belief boost, or make things cost less, or some such. And then that’s all rendered moot by a random wheel spun in every battle that seems to inevitably choose “Half belief from abodes” rendering the entire game unplayable. Oh joy.

So much is currently missing from the game that there’s really nothing more to do than this. Almost no cards exist, no god powers are available, meaning every fray is near identical and always uniquely dull. It’s playable, which appears to be the only criteria for releasing a game on early access, but it’s not worth playing. Currently it feels like an in-development free phone app you’d forget you ever downloaded.

As for that “premium content”, 22cans CEO Simon Phillips writes on the game’s store page:

“In the mean time, its been brought to our attention that the extra content being a premium add on really isn’t a popular choice. Whilst we think that it does represent good value, especially considering that Godus Wars has been delivered as a free update to hundreds of thousands of users and the lower purchase price of the main game we understand previous Godus owners frustrations with this.

“Therefore, based on your feedback, the extra content will be available to all free-of-charge

“Apologies for the frustrations and we hope you enjoy playing.”

Representing good value is of course in the eye of the beholder, but it remains quite extraordinary to have thought in-app purchases are at all appropriate in an unfinished early access project in its first stages that backers thought they’d already paid for in full. It might perhaps have made more sense to instead focus on releasing just a single continent at this stage, feature complete. Any how, from now on their plan to charge another $5 a continent (of what looks like by my count about eight continents) has been abandoned, and presumably another revenue stream will now have to be sought to continue development.

From this site

1. Neurotic says:

Oh, man.

2. killias2 says:

I understand that Molyneux has left his stamp on the industry. However.. just.. just.. oh my God.. what.. how??

Honestly, can anyone think of such a big name pulling such stupid stuff over and over and over again? It makes Mighty No. 9’s development look like freaking Shovel Knight’s development or something.

• Shuck says:

Yeah, after reading everything that been written about Godus/22 Cans, I still don’t remotely understand how this has been such a disaster – such a series of disasters. It’s a fairly simple game, riffing on an existing design, that should have taken a tiny fraction of the current time to make – the only explanations that I can come up with are that either Molyneux has surrounded himself with totally incompetent neophyte developers who can’t manage to make a simple game in a reasonable amount of time, or he keeps changing his mind (and just doesn’t know what to do) about the basic design for the game, so they’re unable to make any forward progress. The second choice seems more likely, especially since Molyneux’s interactions with the press/public have been so confused and cack-handed.

• zaphod42 says:

>he keeps changing his mind (and just doesn’t know what to do) about the basic design for the game, so they’re unable to make any forward progress

Its this. I can promise you its this. The developers he hired are competent, but there’s no many of them and they’re being worked hard to keep up with Molyneux’s childish understanding of software management.

There’s a video from very early on in Godus’ development where Molyneux and a programmer are sitting down next to a computer, talking about the game. And as Molyneux gets fired up, he starts saying these things are going to be in the game, and you can see in the eyes of the programmer next to him the utter shock at these features being announced. “Wait, what?” he seems to think to himself. “Since when? the game isn’t designed for that!”

So they have to go and re-design the entire game because there’s some feature Peter had to have that he couldn’t be arsed to explain to the dev team until they’d already designed it a different way. He does this CONSTANTLY.

I don’t know how anybody still works for 22cans, I would have quit a long, long time ago.

Molyneux also BRAGS on twitter about how much overtime he has his programmers doing. It should be criminal. Its certainly unethical.

• solidsquid says:

Can’t comment on the quality of the coders, but Molyneux himself has said he would think up new features during a presentation, talk about them as if they were always part of a design for the game and then go back and tell the horrified developers they’d have to work out a way to get it in.

He’s well aware of the situation he puts his developers into, and in that particular interview seemed to either be a bit proud of it or just find it kind of funny

• Shuck says:

That’s what I’ve been assuming is the case. I’m still a little surprised that Molyneux hasn’t tempered his ambition/become more organized as the constraints of time and money have become more pressing. Is he like George Lucas in that previously he had people to tell him, “Stop now Peter – we’re doing this,” that allowed him to get anything done?

• Retorrent says:

I had said the exact same thing on another website I visit. I was commenting that it must be a exercise in frustration working for Molyneux. He looks like the type of boss that will say one thing and an hour later come back and change his mind and want you to do it another way, causing you to work in circles and getting nothing done.

• TechnicalBen says:

Money.

Somewhere, someone is entirely chasing the money cash cow(see the “cube”).

Who this is, I’d not hazard a guess at know peoples own thoughts. But Moly is either listening to them, or is them.

• PancakeWizard says:

According to the Eurogamer interview, he only learned Unity for this expansion release. So, during Godus’ initial release and Kickstarter, he wasn’t even familiar with the game’s engine.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s pretty much turned into performance art by this point. Except I can’t credit him with doing it on purpose. Even if he might claim that some day. Also, performance art that is conning (incredibly credulous) people out of their money.

• Geebs says:

Arguably, performance art that doesn’t manage to con people out of their money is just cocking about in a leotard.

• Sakaki says:

To me it’s always very clear when someone is successful because they surround themselves with talented people rather than have talent themselves.

Bullfrog was an incredible studio, but I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that that had bugger all to do with Molyneux’s input.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Just going from outside impressions, I think it’s fairly clear that Molyneux had a lot of influence on Populous, which was something pretty special at the time. And I guess Magic Carpet too.

But everything else definitely feels like someone else was primarily responsible for the design.

• Obsidian War PJs says:

Konami. Ubisoft. WB. EA. Namco-Bandai. And so on.

3. Luciferous says:

Will this game and to a larger extent anything Molyneux ever be anything but a hot mess?

• Nixitur says:

Molyneux made some pretty good games way back when, but not for the last 10 years.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

I hope not. I am choking on laughter reading this post, it is unbelievably entertaining. I just wish they got stuff done more quickly so we didn’t have to wait so long between cock-ups of such monumental proportions.

I can only imagine his dumb blank face wondering aloud “What? What did we do wrong? I don’t understand…”

Cheers, Molyneux! I love ya, buddy!

4. Hawkseraph says:

Well, at least we can now rest secure in the knowledge that never buying anything from molyneux again? Not a choice where you’ll miss anything of value, except perhaps drama.

• Titler says:

I wish we could, but there’s a section of the public, already self-associating with the gaming industry to an unhealthy degree, who have been encouraged by Kickstarter and “Crowd-sourcing” and the chimera of “Early Access” to become completely unable to see the damage their blind cheerleading has done to the way the industry now treats them. Just look the previous thread on Godus only a few hours ago here for proof; and they can’t all be false profiles by marketting sprogs claiming to be adoring of the unfinished, disastrously re-designed Godus. And now there’s another one. Of it. Charging more money, and then hiding a locked off content gate for unfinished content that was promised in the first one. Of it. Which will now never be finished.

And here’s an interesting question; will the winner of the Curiosity Cube, Scot Bryan Henderson, be eligible to actually claim his prize in Godus Wars, when it’s claimed to be a different game to Godus now? After locking off the Steam forums, reporting negative reviews, would you trust them too?

I loved Populous 2, it was one of the greatest games on the Amiga that I spent nearly a decade of my life with. I still fire it up, and the developing password for the God I grew from those days even now under emulation. But that doesn’t mean that how some of the same people in the industry as it is here and now today can do us no wrong. And the acceptance of the decaying almost to criminality of standards today is one of the most bitter betrayals of shared interest I’ve ever seen outside of a love affair gone bad. The people who support it are not the industry’s “friends”, they are useful fools for the moral equivalents of mafiosi, and they should hang their heads in shame for the damage they’ve done to millions of their fellow gamers.

• AngoraFish says:

FWIW, from the FAQ:

What about the winner of Curiosity – Bryan Henderson?!

Bryan is featured in Godus Wars! He can be seen as an opposing deity on one of the continents.

• darkmorgado says:

According to Eurogamer, Henderson gave 22Cans his blessing to include him as a Deity, but said that beyond that he’s kinda past caring whether he ever gets his prize or not, and that he’d be happier getting a lump sum of money that lets him go travelling.

5. Zankman says:

If I was at the helm of Development/Publishing in any way related to this game and Dev Team, I’d for sure make sure to move away from anything and everything related to the word “Godus”.

I mean, at this point people have two Godus games to associate bad things with…

• Darth Gangrel says:

22Cans opened a can of worms with Godus and have now opened another can with Godus Wars. Only 20 cans of worms left for 22Cans and then they’ll have achieved their purpose, the meaning of their name.

6. keefybabe says:

Er… Wow… Way to exponentially screw up, 22 cans.

7. DrollRemark says:

Is this between Godus and Godus Wars, or does the former have nothing to do with process, and it’s all in the latter now?

Because from what I remember reading a few days ago, the new content in Wars was made in Unity (conspiracy theorists on the 22cans forums wondered if this was a grab for a Unity competition fund, but that much work for that little money? Seems unlikely,) whereas the original game was built using something entirely different (the name escapes me). So I would guess that they either haven’t bothered to write any direct integration between the two engines*, or it’s just too difficult/impossible. Most likely somewhere in between.

*Seriously, it opens in a whole separate window? Without knowing the full technical work required, as a Dev, not being able to do it within the same context sounds awfully poor.

• John Walker says:

I’m pretty sure it’s two different Unity windows (I believe Godus is in Marmalade), because they dance merrily between the overlap of my two monitors – a regular Unity bug made quite remarkable by two instances fighting with each other.

8. Dicehuge says:

Good grief. They just aren’t very good at this, are they?

9. KFee says:

I think Peter should just enjoy the rest of his life (it’s not like he is very young…) and his money. It’s not like he’d have to ever work again.

• gbrading says:

I get the feeling he’s invested a fair bit of his own money into 22cans, so I’m not sure how rosy his retirement would be to be honest. Could be completely wrong though.

10. Kemuel says:

I’ve gotta say, Eurogamer’s article left me a little more optimistic about Molyneux and 22cans’ future, but… yeah. I didn’t buy Godus, I’m just a spectator to this whole ride.

• Sin Vega says:

Same here. But it’s hard to shake the feeling that it’s far too late, certainly for this project. I really hope they somehow manage to pull a decent game out of the bag, both for the players and for their own sake. “Hope” being very much the operative word.

• keefybabe says:

I did buy it. It’s essentially ironing simulator except instead of moving an iron you do individual mouse clicks, or at least did last time I tried it.

• wyrm4701 says:

That doesn’t appear to have changed at all. In the (checks Steam)… eighteen months (wow) I’ve had Godus, there’s been shockingly little progress. The last time I played it there was functionally identical to the first time I played it, barring a few very minor additions.

• keefybabe says:

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I thought would have happened.

• RobF says:

Hmm. I thought the EG interview was a bit more quietly damning, myself. Whilst it never explicitly sort of went for the jugular or anything like that, it did a pretty good job of contrasting the claims with how they kinda differed (again, I suppose!) from the reality of things.

If anything, especially alongside the No Don’t Die interview, I never once got the sense that anything has changed. I dunno though, I have very complex feelings about the whole thing anyway but lately I’m increasingly erring towards it’d maybe just be better if Pete made games but wasn’t the boss of anyone, y’know?

• frightlever says:

“I’ve gotta say, Eurogamer’s article left me a little more optimistic about Molyneux and 22cans’ future”

The EG interview happened when 22 Cans were about to launch their “new” game, the JW article above happened after it actually launched. Taken together both articles prove that Molyneux is still completely lacking in self-awareness.

• Josh W says:

My favourite bit of the article was the way that you can see the influence of 22cans new CEO; Peter is swearing a vast amount more than he used to.

11. wisnoskij says:

Wow. Now micro transactions, pay to play, and DLC are one thing, which personally I think get way too much flack. But this is just outright fraud.

12. Baines says:

It sounds like 22Cans hasn’t just locked down Steam Forum discussion, but they may also be flagging negative reviews for removal for being “off-topic”.

In the past, mentioning anything outside the game itself was enough for Valve to remove a flagged review for being off-topic. “Off-topic” included speaking about the dev studio’s history and other actions. (Of course you weren’t likely to see your review flagged for being off-topic if you spoke positively about a studio, so it most likely gets used as a way to censor negative reviews.)

13. Captain Deadlock says:

Utterly vile filth. Seriously, I would rather have no games at all than have a tiny fraction of the world look on this utter toss and think it’s an acceptable way to behave. Molyneux, Braben, Roberts, the whole lot of them should be sent to live in a council estate flat in Hull and forced to live on Employment Support Allowance for 20 years after the shit they’ve pulled. The dirty, dirty bastards.

• Jdsaf says:

That’s a bit harsh. What have the fine(ish) people of Hull ever done to you?

Milton Keynes on the other hand…

14. MadMinstrel says:

It’s amazing that things have gone so awry for 22Cans and they still haven’t scrapped the project. At least they’re persistent?

• keefybabe says:

The problem is that the whole concept Godus is based on (ie: the idea that clicking on a landscape until it’s flat is fun) is completely flawed, so for me if they threw their hands up and went, “ah bugger it we screwed up, we’ll make something else” then they’d have a chance. But due to the kickstarter crap they’re kind of tied into polishing this turd until it’s a shiny brown stain on the floor.

It’s like “wanking with a fistfull of bees simulator”. Look… we made the bees shinier and they have a better, more organic movement. That’s great, but it’s still wanking with a fistfull of bees and I don’t know about you but that’s not on my bucket list.

• BluePencil says:

I spent a moment or two longer than necessary pondering what wanking with a fist full of bees would be like. I didn’t just immediately write it off.

• melnificent says:

I’m still trying to work out if it’s one sting per bee, and would a handful really be that harmful.

Sleepymatt says:

Perhaps this is what all those junk emails have in mind!

• keefybabe says:

Well, I imagine you’d end up with a winkie that looks like the elephant man.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Like sticking your junk in a Bene Gesserit’s Pain Box (heyoo!).

Don Reba says:

Bullet ant glove DLC.

• steves says:

But “clicking on a landscape until it’s flat” *is* fun!

Or at least it was in Populous. Obviously there was a bit more to it than that, but all 22 Cans really had to do was remake Populous 2 with modern graphics + better UI and start raking in the nostalgic nerd cash.

But no, Peter had to have his ‘ideas’…

• keefybabe says:

I totally agree, I loved the old populous games, but there WAS more to it in Populous and there isn’t in Godus. And the clicking is… weirdly… so much worse.

It’s more like Peter throwing out the baby ideas but keeping the bathwater ideas.

15. Sian says:

“Molyneux emboldened his promise to no longer speak to the press by speaking to the press yesterday to assure that he no longer spoke to the press. He has so far managed to not speak to the press about this latest incident.”

Sounds like one of those signs you sometimes see in films and comics: “X days without accident”, and inevitably this number is changed to zero as the sign appears on screen.

That aside: They really didn’t see this anger coming? That sounds incredibly naive. Either that or they’d hopes they could grab some more money before they had to unlock the continent for free.

16. Mirarii says:

What ever happened to the Molycube? The winner?

• keefybabe says:

Molydolecube.

• Windows98 says:

Here’s a choice quote from the winner over at the eurogamer article:

“I’m just going to be completely straight,” he says. “To be perfectly honest, I’m almost past the point of caring about this whole thing, you know? It’s just been a complete balls up, to be frank. I’m just going to ask them, how many of you are actually still passionate about this? I’d rather they did it with interest in it, or just didn’t do it all all, you know? But we’ll see when I talk to them.”

Don Reba says:

The winner of the last cube competition will emerge as the prize from inside the next, where he will remain trapped until then.

17. qrter says:

You’d think they’d spend a couple of minutes to find out how this whole Early Access-thing works, and what it implies. (Although, from what I’ve heard, 22Cans previously have had similar problems grasping the fundamentals of Kickstarter.)

• melnificent says:

If I remember correctly the kickstarter fees were mentioned in John’s excellent interview. They couldn’t work out how a flat percentage fee worked.

18. keefybabe says:

I remember people kicking off about Killing Floor 2 getting microtransactions because it was still Early Access, and that was a game that was actually really good and from developers with a great reputation.

Do these people not look at the industry at all?

• Nixitur says:

Frankly, in my opinion, putting micro transactions in a game which already costs money is despicable, no matter how good your game is. Putting them in an unfinished game is even worse. This really isn’t that much worse, they just seriously overestimated their reputation and how good the game is.

19. crowleyhammer says:

It’s playable, which appears to be the only criteria for releasing a game on early access.

You would think so but nope.

20. JuergenDurden says:

i never cared about molyneux’ games at all, they sit comfortably in a niche i have no interest in whatsoever and even though i do feel bad for all the kickstarter backers and especially for the poor lad that won that cube contest, i just have to say that the on-going drama surrounding this shit show has brought me hours upon hours of amusement, so just in that way godus was an utter entertainment success.

21. gbrading says:

Good God. I just want it to stop. It’s like watching a terrible car accident that just never seems to end!

• unacom says:

But that´s exactly why everyone is watching.
      Right now Molyneux is like a shiny sports car in a free spin, the driver pushing the pedal to the metal, hoping it will work out fine. We watch fascinated/horrified.
      Will he ram that Gallardo into a road tanker? Will he swerve into that coffee shop? Is he going to try to brake his spin in those demonstrators over there?
      We want to know. It´s going to be horrible. But we watch.

• melnificent says:

And some of us are wondering why he disconnected the brakes to get more speed.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

He’s already made at least three excuses about the brakes, one was “I never sad I wasn’t going to cut the brakes”, then “I always imagined that the brakes would be cut”, and the last one was just a complaint about how “I guess nobody wants me to drive, is that it? Listen, I’ll buy you a plane ticket, come to my garage…”

22. C0llic says:

Good god. The gall here is simply astounding. Completely ignoring the broader Godus fiasco, they actually think its acceptable to slip in micro-transactions in a bare bones, unfininshed early access game?

John Walker wasn’t harsh enough on this evidence. Just when you think they couldn’t fall any further.

23. Chaoslord AJ says:

Steam Forum for Godus Wars is write-restricted.
    Guess they had to shut it down then… ;)

24. Phantasma says:

So yesterday when he did his “I’ve changed, i’ve changed, promise!” interview, for sure he already knew what lurks inside the game after Level 2?

This really doesn’t happen often but… words just fail me.

• wu wei says:

Yeah, it’s getting increasingly harder to see his comments as an astounding lack of self-awareness, as it’s feeling more and more like outright deceptions.

25. BarryDennen12 says:

A long time ago I let this guy have it in a YouTube video. Afterwards I felt like maybe we’d gone too hard on him, but every six months or so since then he’s said or done something that makes me reluctantly think ‘nope, the guy is loopy’.

26. pendergraft says:

What a terrific farce. This is the best article ever, by the way. Thank you, John.

27. oyog says:

I’m gonna leave a link to the free version of Reprisal in the hopes that anyone considering buying either of these Godus awful games just plays Reprisal instead. It’s a beautiful little Populous clone.

link to reprisaluniverse.com

• TK-093 says:

Thanks for that link. Neat little game. It’s on sale on Steam for like $1 right now. Already got my money’s worth. :)

• TechnicalBen says:

Thanks just got this and one for me bro.

28. aepervius says:

This is the *second* time they tried to pull the SAME shenanigan. In Godus there was for a short time for which a in-game store was visible. They pretended it was a rest from development from the mobile part (or whatever) but now they pull the exact same stunt ? it is quite clear that from the start in both case they intended to cash in beyond the initial purchase.

29. BluePencil says:

Someone’s just pointed me at the @PeterMolydeux satirical Twitter account. I’ve been laughing my head off.

30. TK-093 says:

Bought the original Godus on some Steam sale for like $3 so I’ve never been out much, nor showed any outrage (real or faux) over a game… Anywho, I gave Godus Wars a go this morning.

Yeah, it might have potential. I don’t know. What this game DOES remind me of a little bit (mainly because of the little battles you fight over a continent) is Powermonger. Man I loved that game.

This engine would be a perfect engine to make an updated version of Powermonger. Do that!! Do it now!

31. Obsidian War PJs says:

FFS.

32. chanandler says:

That is the funniest quote I have rad all day :-)

teije says:

I checked out the Steam forums/reviews last night. They are a mix of anger, disappointment, bafflement and passive-aggressive backpedalling by the devs who keep deleting threads and removed the General Discussion forum.

An fascinating train wreck to watch anyways.

Honestly I feel bad for the people who work for him now – and hope they find jobs in a real dev company.

34. zaphod42 says:

>“I always imagined Godus being two games, one tranquil, one war like,” says Peter Molyneux in the opening screen of Godus Wars.

Typical Molyneux bullshit.

• TechnicalBen says:

I always imagined you being wrong, me being right. Even when I am wrong, you are still wrong and I am now right.

You have to understand, my understanding of our understanding was that you understood I understood you better then even you do.

I mean, I have meant to mean that I mean what I mean from the beginning. I have always had and continue to have what I have.

What I have is that I am imagining this situation. This situation that you cannot even imagine. I don’t think I can even imagine it, but I’m imagining it right now.

What I’m imagining is this great game. It’s a game that’s great because I right now, I’m right and what I have is this game I have and it’s great.

Your with me on this, this is a great game. We are giving you this great game at a great value. The value is something you cannot even imagine us imagining for you.

I have a bridge to sell, would you like to buy it?

/molymode.

35. Shazbut says:

I’m genuinely concerned about affecting Peter Molyneux with what I say here. It sounds crazy.

Walk away from all this, Peter. You’ve created masterpieces. It’s fine to retire. You’ll look back and laugh.

36. mpk says:

And any positive feeling created by yesterday’s Eurogamer article just goes straight down the shitter.

Nothing to say about Molyneux himself, but it’s clear that the whole 22Cans experiment is an omnishambling clusterfuck without end – I feel sorry for the devs who will forever have the studio on their CV.

37. somnolentsurfer says:

Oh my word. Seriously?

I’d been meaning to download this and give it a try. From the publicity yesterday it sounded a whole lot closer to the game I backed than anything in any build of Godus since the very first one. I think I remained hopeful longer than most. I’ve certainly defended Molyneux/22 Cans in these comment threads.

Heck, I’ve not even been bitter about it. I knew going in that every Molyneux game I’ve ever waited for going back to Dungeon Keeper and before had been late and delivered on only a fraction of what was promised.

But seriously? Seriously?

The lack of self-awareness here is simply astonishing.

38. Kow says:

The Steam discussions page, which would normally be loaded with threads, seems to be completely empty. Which is a terrible sign of interfering.

39. steves says:

Why don’t you try and interview him on RPS again, John?

Apologise, say you were bang out of order, and definitely won’t be so confrontational this time…then just lay into him anyway. What’s good for the goose, and all that.

40. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I now regret leveling sarcasm at you John. Please accept my apologies, and go get em tiger.

41. racccoon says:

I just can’t see this game working at all.

42. frogulox says:

I played godus on the ipad for a little while. It.. didnt suck?
    But it was hella boring after a while.

I enjoyed bandw. I enjoyed fable. I lived DK etc.

This whole ongoing saga is just sad really. Im not even angry. Im worried about the mental stability of the people involved – from the many at the bottom to the singular top

43. Catchcart says:

What a perfectly nasty hate fest, this is. Good job, RPS. Good job.

44. KDR_11k says:

I guess it’s time to say to Peter again: “Heeeere’s Johnny!”

45. misterbung says:

I backed this and War for the Overworld around the same time.

Guess which one lived up to the promise of a Molyneux style god game?

46. CDiR... says:

Kickstarted games are property of those that initially backed them, backers should decide what the game becomes or that it should never stay on Steam if the money was used for something total different, they should get the power to wipe them off the Steam store front.

Kickstarter backers are all little shareholders, it’s a shame there is no legal acknowledgement of it.

47. freeze says:

I paid monies to kickstart GODUS, I played 32 hours, 2 years ago and stopped because I realised it’s not finished yet. When they announce it’s done/out of early access I’ll play it again. 22cans have yet to release a completed game. I’m glad I’m not their accountant :) They should force themselves to make little games that take 1-2 months to make and slowly build up from there. Peter sure has the ideas – stop trying to put it all in one game!

48. JamesPatton says:

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!! >:O

Ok, so I came down pretty hard on Molyneux last year when the sh*t (and the RPS interview) hit the fan. But then I read the article about them getting a new business guy, and it looked like they were buckling down to fix things, so I thought, ok, let’s see where this goes.

And then they release an unfinished half-game to say sorry for releasing their original unfinished half-game. And this unfinished half-game costs actual money. And then EVEN AFTER YOU BUY IT, YOU HAVE TO KEEP GIVING THEM MONEY, FOR A GAME WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE YEARS AGO AND WHICH ISN’T EVEN THE REAL GAME.

I am SO DONE WITH THESE PEOPLE.

49. LynneaGlasser says:

White men get to fail upwards in video games. This won’t be the last time someone gives him a pile of cash to try again.