It’s About Time: Quantum Break Coming To PC

Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake) have been making gorgeous, violent games about angry-sad men for years now. When they announced their latest, Quantum Break [official site], it was revealed as an Xbox One exclusive. Moments ago, they announced that the time-troubling action game will also be coming to PCs. As long as those PCs are running Windows 10. There’s a proper trailer below, along with a newly released live action thing.

The game is set in a world where time is out of joint. It seems lead character Jack Joyce (I’d have called him Rolex Clock but there it is) was born to set it right.

“When time breaks, catastrophe becomes your playground. As hero Jack Joyce, you’ll fight your way through epic disasters that stutter back and forth in time. But surviving this unstable world–and halting the end of time itself–is only possible by mastering your new time powers.”

It looks entertaining enough and, weirdly, I’m always happy to see Lance Reddick even though I’ve seen him in some duffers over the years. Most recently, he unexpectedly appeared in the pleasantly weird The Guest though, so he’s earned some goodwill.

There’s an actual “digital live action series” that will follow the story of the villains. Apparently choices you make at the end of each chapter in the game will affect both the game and the show. I’ll probably avoid worrying about all of that by failing to watch the show.

Of the PC release, Remedy say:

“Today we have a lot to be excited about. First of all, we’re proud to continue Remedy’s 20-year journey of making games for PC by announcing the Windows 10 version of our latest blockbuster game Quantum Break. It launches simultaneously with the Xbox One version on April 5th, 2016 and is included as a bonus item for Xbox One pre-orders.”

There’s all kinds of Xbox/Win10 crossover stuff here as well. Save games will be compatible between versions and if you preorder from the official Xbox store or site (as well as some participating retailers, it sez here) you’ll get a copy of the PC version as well. Release date for both platforms is April 5th.

I don’t have much else right now so here are some minimum and recommended specs. Tasty.

Minimum Requirements

RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 55 GB available space

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. gbrading says:

Wow, well that came out of nowhere. After assuming for ages that we wouldn’t get Quantum Break at all, turns out we’re getting it alongside the XONE. My remaining doubt is that they’re going to only release this through the Microsoft Store on Windows 10; I fear that it won’t be on Steam for example.

• BreadBitten says:

Although a Steam option would’ve been great, I’m personally quite interested in seeing the Windows Store grow as a storefront for proper PC games.

• Jay Load says:

…..Have you actually used the store? Personally I think Microsoft should be actively kept well away from any sort of gaming shop/store experience, for the good of humanity.

• BreadBitten says:

As a Windows Phone user, I actually use it fairly frequently. But that’s exactly my point: If Microsoft upped their game and are able to evolve the Store into a halfway decent competitor to Steam, it’d be quite an interesting show to watch — especially when you factor in Valve’s growing ambitions with SteamOS.

• Don Reba says:

If Microsoft upped their game and are able to evolve the Store into a halfway decent competitor to Steam.

Right. What are the chances of that?

• BreadBitten says:

@Don Reba I’m not sure, but it sure as hell can’t be worse than their previous effort.

• subedii says:

Um. We are still talking about the company that went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 right?

• Emeraude says:

I’m not sure, but it sure as hell can’t be worse than their previous effort.

Never underestimate humanity’s infinite capacity for stupidity and incompetence.

Not to mention, it’s MS we’re talking about. The Valve apple didn’t fall far from the MS tree, and I don’t think the “competition” would be any worthwhile addition to the market really.

When was the last time MS did anything good for the platform that wasn’t removing part of itself from it?

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yeah it needs a bunch of work though. The fact that when you click “games” the first list that pops up is their list of free shovelware like candy crush and other nonsense doesn’t give me high hopes as to where their priorities lie though.

• int says:

Yeah I really hope it’s not MS Store exclusive, mostly because I used a program to remove the damn thing.

But still good news! Another Remedy game for PC is always good news.

• shaydeeadi says:

I’m intrigued to know why you chose to remove the store? I have had Win10 since it invited me (July maybe?) and haven’t even noticed that the store is there in this whole time. What did it do to provoke such action?

• welverin says:

Really? I always assumed it would make it’s way to PC eventually, and that it was just a matter of time.

This was the one game that would have given me any reason to want an Xbox One, and it will get me to finally upgrade to Windows 10.

• catmorbid says:

No steam, no buy :/ If microsoft has even half a functional brain somewhere, they’ll make it a standard release, which will include steam.

2. w0bbl3r says:

Windows 10 only will kill the game and give them the “PC gamers don’t want our games” excuse to never bring any more games to our platform in the future.
    They know windows 10 is likely to damage sales, and microsoft store will KILL sales. Their marketing team isn’t stupid.
    So you have to ask yourself why they would knowingly do this? To intentionally have bad sales so they then have an excuse to never come to PC again.

• G-Lord says:

Isn’t that a bit too cynical? I’m honestly super excited to play the game on PC, even with all the stings attached.

Harlander says:

Yeah, I’m not sure I buy the idea that the aim of marketing is to cause a product to not sell.

• subedii says:

Not that I’m suggesting it’s a deliberate policy, but what he’s describing is basically what happened with Halo isn’t it?

Game comes out as a Vista exclusive, doesn’t sell, “whoops, I guess people weren’t interested”, and the closest Halo’s come to PC-side since has been iffy ports of phone games, and a dodgy Russia-only micro-transaction based F2P FPS based off of Halo 3’s multiplayer (which IIRC they’ve closed down now?).

This from, as we’re frequently told, a “truly committed to PC gaming” Microsoft.

Mind you, after the mess that was the Master Chief Edition, and from what I understand was a fairly mediocre Guardians, I’m beginning to feel like it’s no big loss anymore.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Halo was always an overrated pile of crap anyway. Built up as the best game ever by gamepad wielding console gamers who simply didn’t know any better. I played Combat Evolved on PC and nothing about it made me think it was anything more than a fairly good FPS but nowhere near the stuff I’d already played.

• TimRobbins says:

If Windows 10 = Directx 12 requirement, that’s cool with me. If it means Xbox app PC exclusive, it might as well just stay on xbox. I truly hope it’s the former, game looks solid.

• shocked says:

I don’t think they feel obliged to manufacture an excuse for PC gamers by creating a bad selling game. Instead they probably got a ton of money from MS to make a Win10 exclusive game.

• LennyLeonardo says:

This makes no sense. Why do they need an excuse?

• Chaoslord AJ says:

And here I thought they’ll do it so someone actually supports their new OS “philosophy”.
      My Windows 10 installations aren’t all pure joy nevermind tech evangelists running campaigns for a year.
      Besides they already did this with GFWL (rest in peace) so why repeat.

• Chorltonwheelie says:

Wow!
      You need a tin foil hat and an Apple Mac running Xenix.
      Be happy.

• Boozebeard says:

Or you know, to entice more people to upgrade to win 10… How about you ask yourself what the fuck going to all this trouble to make an excuse for not making PC games would achieve? If they don’t want to make PC games they just wouldn’t make PC games.

• TechnicalBen says:

The store and Win10 does not suffer from the loss of game sales, and the game being put at risk only improves the Store front and Win10 sales/uptake.

So it’s win win for the marketers. It could be easier for the developers, but it’s a smaller market, so usually a lower return.

• Eonymia says:

Directx12 is only supported by windows 10. There’s your reason

3. fco says:

guns.

• Synesthesia says:

WHO WANTS TO ZELL ME ZOME GUUNZZ

• Sulpher says:

and time. guns and time. This looks like a snorefest.

• TechnicalBen says:

Yeah, without the guns, or as optional, this game could be great. Using the time mechanic as a stealth puzzler is possible in some sections if I recall the preview vids correctly.

However I did see “bosses” drop down at some point, so no idea if you can run the entire game that way.

4. Turkey says:

I actually thought this was some kind of gritty reboot until I remembered that the ’80s tv show was called Quantum Leap.

• LennyLeonardo says:

There is already a series of Quantum Leap games. They’re made by Ubisoft about once a year.

• Blackcompany says:

Hahaha! All I can see in my head is the lead actor from the show leaping into bales of hay!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yes, I believe in the games they call that the Quantum Leap of Quantum Faith. It is always signalled by the sound of an eagle saying, “Oh boy”.

• rexx.sabotage says:

Remember the spin-off series where he goes forwards in time and becomes the captain of a starship? Zany antics and hilarious hijinks ensued!

• LennyLeonardo says:

Oh yes, I think what that plotline really demonstrated was Scott Dracula’s great dramatic range. It was also a big shock to find out that Ziggy was a space ship. Hashtag betterthanlost.

5. Spuzzell says:

A i7 at 4GHz and a 980Ti as recommended? If I were living as a cliche I’d absolutely have done a spit take at that.

What happened to DX12 being more efficient?

That’s about 3 Xbox Ones worth of power!

• BreadBitten says:

Hopefully by “recommended” they mean “graphics and performance so hyper, that time actually starts to crack around you for realsies.”

Vandelay says:

I actually do think that one of the reasons recommended specs seem so high of late is because the recommended means everything turned on at 1080p, never dropping below 60fps. They might not have uber fancies, like super sampling.

I’m sure this never used to be the case, with recommended giving you something playable at about mid-high settings at around 40fps average.

• Spuzzell says:

Or its the specification you need to play while your machine is also installing Windows 10 on all your furniture in the background.

• rexx.sabotage says:

TBH my couch has only crashed like once after installing Win10

6. koerner says:

“gorgeous, violent games about angry-sad men for years now.”

That made me chortle.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Yeah, Alan Wake is “gorgeous” now, I lolled too.

Risingson says:

“HDD: 55 GB available space”

Is this a standard now? What do they do with so much space?

• GWOP says:

High resolution textures and uncompressed audio.

• golem09 says:

The same as always: 1080p FMVs.

• Legion1183 says:

It makes me sad as I have recently moved to a country with terrible internet. Oh how I miss my (unlimited bandwidth) 10Mbit connection I so often cursed at for being slower than others. I realise how lucky I was…

Downloading digital games now not only takes me a really long time but due to having to pay for extra bandwidth it makes games way more expensive too :(

8. MrLosWhite says:

Completed Alan Wake lat night, I am looking forward to this quantum break.

Between this one and ROTR, Microsoft seems sincere in pushing pc/windows gaming.

• instantcoffe says:

As long as we can keep buying these games from Ukraine or whatever country offers it for cheap. Yeah Windows Store and its regional settings!

• ahac says:

Rise of the Tomb Raider?
      Tomb Raider was always on PC. MS did nothing to push PC gaming with it, they just paid some money to make sure it releases on Xbox first (and to make ROTR the first Tomb Raider not releasing on OSX).

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

MS had nothing to do with Tomb Raider outside of throwing money at Square Enix so they would delay releasing it on other platforms.
      This however is a MS published game so they’ve payed for the whole thing and these decisions are entirely their own.

9. DanMan says:

gg Microsoft

Have your cake and eat it, too.

10. GWOP says:

But will it be as entertaining as watching Xbone owners throwing a hissy fit over the fact that now more people will be able to play this game?

• Unsheep says:

To be fair PC gamers are the same though, some people simply like being petty.

• GWOP says:

Oh, definitely.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Not really, the sentiment from PC gamers is usually “Don’t fuck up our game because you are releasing it on consoles”. Most of us don’t give a crap if it’s multiplatform or not as long as it doesn’t affect our version.
        Console gamers seem to actively celebrate other people being denied the opportunity to play a game.

11. Dirksolomon says:

But, will there be Quantum Chess in it?!

12. Sinjun says:

Excited for this, but those recommended requirements seem like an ass covering measure incase they’re not able to optimize it for whatever reason. Remedy’s PC releases have always been extremely solid, though, so I’m optimistic.

13. racccoon says:

As a game Dev you have to be Mental to leave the PC Out!! but please Mr. Dev leave Steam out! as it sucks.

14. harley9699 says:

Know I only speak for a small group of us (relatives, friends, etc.), but Win 10=we Pass. Right or not, we’ve all stuck with Win 7. Most them didn’t want a reformat/wipe, but still.
    I’m just happy with Win 7, like I was with 98SE.

• TechnicalBen says:

Yeah. The level of hassle of migrating to Windows 10 is about the level of hassle of migrating to Linux for me.

Oh, Windows 10 will be 1 click away. But so will all my life and sanity.
      At least with Linux I loose a couple of games, and not function/privacy/control. You can choose 1 of those things to loose, and I’ll be happy (TV/mobile OS/Console/PC etc diff benefits/drawbacks). Take all of them, and I no longer have a PC, so I’ll skip your “OS” thanks.

15. Buggery says:

Lot of negativity going on in these comments re: Windows 10 and MS Storefronts. Personally, could not give a shit about that. I’ll buy it wherever it’s sold and lol just lol if you aren’t running Win10 on a gaming PC (seriously, it’s fine–just upgrade already).

Max Payne 2 is one of the best games ever with regards to level design and third-person-gun-shootery (which Rockstar somehow took a big step back with in Max Payne 3) and I loved the hell out of Alan Wake. Looking forward to this and the ever-present dream of Alan Wake 2.

• TechnicalBen says:

If we have a dedicated gaming PC, then Windows 10 is fine. It will get games on it, nothing else.

While my PC is currently a multi-purpose use thingy, I’m never putting 10 near it. My laptop could get 10, as well, features and things I might like to use.

But strangely, I don’t want a Windows 10 driver bricking my expensive gaming PC either (yep, seen it happen, took 3 me days to figure out how to deactivate all of Win10 features breaking drivers for a neighbour).

16. Avus says:

Windows 10 only? Because M$. I can understand the meaning of console exclusive so your competitions (examples: Sony, Nintendo) will not get the same stuff. But Windows 10 only? Does this game really use some DX12 exclusive feature? If yes, I want to know what. Or to M$, they don’t see all the non-Windows 10 user as their “customer or supporter” anymore. This is the reason why I hate monopoly and Microsoft. Remember how “good” the Halo 2 for Windows Vista sold?

• Buggery says:

Haha, people still using the ol’ dollar sign Micro$oft, huh?

They see Windows 7 as customers (particularly for embedded and enterprise users), but they want to move games over on to Windows 10 so that it’s easier to focus their support on a single operating system (and presumably so they can bury Win8 as a bad idea and pretend it never happened). Ain’t nothing sinister in it.

17. Unsheep says:

Well its always nice when Steam gets another potential competitor, not that Steam’s success is undeserved in any way.

18. dethtoll says:

Well, at least that’s one less reason for me to get an XBone, when/if I ever actually upgrade to W10 or beyond (not happening any time soon.)