Sniper Elite 4 Announced, Going To Italy

Rebellion are returning to World War 2 for more sneaky sniping action later this year, having today announced Sniper Elite 4. This time, Ian Elite is headed to Italy to fight with the resistance against the forces of fascism. While we see Nazis in movies and video games all the time, Mussolini and friends are less common. Is the most known pop culture image of them perhaps from Allo Allo? Bit less sunny in reality, that lot. Anyway, yes, Sniper Elite 4 is announced and coming this year. Observe, a trailer:

Rebellion say that this is “the first game in the series built without the constraints of older hardware and aims to deliver the definitive World War Two shooter for a generation”, which I think means it’ll be prettier. They also say to expect levels “many times the size” of those in Sniper Elite 3, sending Ian everywhere “from sun-drenched Mediterranean coastal towns, to colossal Nazi megastructures, daunting forests and giddying mountain monasteries inspired by Monte Cassino.”

Hey, if I’m going to be peering at landscapes through a sniper scope, I want them to be daunting and giddying.

Along with a campaign, it’ll have cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes. Here’s a suggestion for Rebellion: if you’re thinking of a Capture the Flag mode, how about Capture The Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Catweasel says:

Bigger fancier maps sound like a good direction for a game like this! Might be fun.

2. Spuzzell says:

I quite enjoyed a lot of the last title, though the DLC aspect irritated me inordinately.

So much so that I will probably avoid this iteration unless the locking away of 90% of the weapons behind an additional paywall has been changed.

There were four rifles in the game, which would have been fine, but they made your avatar physically walk around a series of tents absolutely FILLED with other – superior – weapons that only became available via the purchase of weapon packs.

It was horribly jarring and irritating in a full price game.

• jonahcutter says:

Agreed. It was a really solid game brought down by the skeezy DLC. Iconic weapons kept walled off behind extra fees. It was one of the more shameless DLCs of late. I’ll be waiting for a discounted, full version later. Much later if need be. They lost a full price purchase from me because of it.

3. Gunsmith says:

“built without the constraints of older hardware” – coming soon to xb1/ps4

thats not how this works.

• Ancient Evil says:

Nice try, but even if it were a PC exclusive, I’m sure the minimum requirements would be set up so that people with hardware a few years old could still run the game. So no.

I do sympathize, though, with what a terrible burden and injustice it is for those with bleeding edge, $2,000+ gaming rigs, that AAA games are not designed exclusively around the hardware capabilities of their less than 1% of the gaming populace. It must be so very hard.

4. Al Bobo says:

This is good news! I liked Sniper Elite 3 alot. It felt very satisfying to land difficult headshots without any kind of assistance. Accidental testicl’ shots made me feel bad, though.

5. Unsheep says:

Nice, I sure like my sniper games, from Ghost Warrior to Sniper Elite. I never really get tired of the mechanics nor of the patient gameplay. So ‘yes’, loved the previous ones, looking forward to this one.

6. Cor Cordis says:

Or use a stick of dynamite, disguised as a knockwurst sausage…

Dorga says:

It’s 1943 so I’m guessing the enemies are once again zhe Germans

8. Det. Bullock says:

I just wonder how silly the voices of the italian soldiers are going to be, I wonder if consulting some italian voice acting studios (there are DOZENS, here we dub even art house movies nobody watches) and make them record the lines in Italian would really up the budget that much.
    I remember playing the Medal of Honor games, you could tell that a lot of lines were translated literally from english and were delivered with an accent that couldn’t even pass for extreme northern italian (IE: from that parts of the country frontier were they speak also German or French), the only line that sounded right was “Granata!” in Airborne (that admittedly of the MoH games was probably the one that didn’t use as many literal translation of US military jargon for the Italian soldiers) but in most lines you could still tell that was just some english speaking actor with a good pronunciation.

• 0positivo says:

Don’t get too excited. From the looks, it’s still german nazi soldiers

9. Fabio Silva says:

Had a good time with V2 and especially the last game, which had satisfying stealth, quick saves (thank God!) and long levels with alternate paths and side missions. And slow motion sniping never gets old.

10. Maxheadroom says:

I played the 1st one a bit and had a fair amount of fun but how have they made a 4 game franchise out of one (admittedly fun) gimmick?

I’m not slating it, but genuinely asking. What are they doing to keep it fresh? Aside from graphics how is this one different from the 1st?