Adventure Game Kathy Rain Released With Demo

Kathy Rain [official site], a point-and-click adventure game about a journalism student in 1995 investigating her grandfather’s mysterious death, launched today. John was pleased by the slice he played last month, and now it has a public demo so everyone can give it a go first. Here, look, the launch trailer explains more about the scrapes Kathy will get into after rolling back into her hometown on her motorbike:

I’m always up for unlikely characters becoming detectives. A Jessica Fletcher mask hangs on the wall by my desk (I say that as if we don’t all have one?). Our John said after playing:

“The writing in these first few scenes shows off a dab hand, and immediately drew me into what feels like a pleasingly parochial tale, whose mysteries really could go in any direction, from the perfectly ordinary to science fiction, and I realise I’m okay with whichever.”

Good-o! I’ll give that a go myself once I clock off for the day.

Kathy Rain is £10.99/14,99€/$14.99 on Steam and £10.29 on GOG. Its site lists a load of other stores as well. The demo is on Steam (find the ‘Download Demo’ button in all that clutter) and GOG too.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Zankman says:

I have no idea what the game will be like, but, the art style is very charming and the protagonist is so pretty!

• klops says:

Demo was good, although easy. Then again, I have no patience for Lucasarts style puzzles anymore so it probably works better that way (for me).

Risingson says:

And Lucasarts were the easy ones.

Having the “really really easy or no puzzles” school of design rule over everything else in adventure games, leaving no space for lateral thinking, makes the most of the titles a bit monochromatic.

• klops says:

Yyeah. I’m not sure if I want to play the 90’s adventure games any more (or have the patience or willpower not to check walkthroughs) but this is too easy. It’s nice and all but there’s absolutely no challenge. After having played the game around 4 hours, the hardest thing that’s come across was to open the briefcase in the attic, that you can do in the demo.

The puzzles are minimal so far and the plot lines seem to lead to a quite obvious outcome. It’s still nice.

• klops says:

It seems I was very, very wrong about the plot. It was easy, but most likely worked better for me than classic adventure games would nowadays.

2. grrrz says:

there are never enough 90’s style point and clicks. count me in.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Did you use to have many other masks, but then they were all murdered?

4. Alasher says:

Looks similar to wadjeteye works. Not finished the game yet, but IMO it is quite more appealing then their last games.