Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Infects Early Access Soon

I’m going to mention a name soon, and I want you to resist your gut reaction to pull a dirty face and scroll past this post. This series is good and interesting and you might well like to play it but, well, the game’s named Space Pirates And Zombies 2 [official site] and- no no, come back, come on now. I know, I do. It’s a space shooter where players build their own motherships by snapping together modules then roam across a living galaxy, scavenging, fighting, building bases, and forming factions – against two hundred AI-controlled spaceship captains each doing exactly the same. And it’ll hit Steam Early Access this month.

In the aftermath of the first game’s zombie apocalypse, SPAZ 2 (yes, I know) sees people scavenging to survive in what remains of civilisation. All two hundred captains have the same imperative as players, and have the same build-a-fight-o-alliance options as the player captain. With all of them shuffling around, fighting and befriending each other, it should be a strange and unpredictable place. Which sounds great!

After three and a half years of development, developers MinMax Games plan to launch SPAZ 2 into Early Access on May 19th. It’ll launch with the singleplayer campaign and sandbox modes, then MixMax plan to add competitive online ship-to-ship multiplayer, local co-op multiplayer, and other additions and fixes and tweaks and whatnot. They expect it’ll be in Early Access for six to twelve months. Here, have a peek:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Freud says:

Is it 2D (with an isometric mode) or 3D?

I enjoyed the first one. I spent 43 hours finishing it according to Steam.

• TechnicalBen says:

AFAIK it is played on a 2d plane with 3d graphics. :)

• orionite says:

If that’s the case, I’m in. The simplicity of SPAZ was great and imho making it completely 3d with 6 degrees of freedom would just distract from the fun, in this case.

jimmybones says:

I recently read a comment (which, of course, I can’t find at the moment) which indicated that you’ll be able to play the game from the familiar top-down view, as well.

2. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I enjoyed a brief stint with the first one but lost interest when the Zombies turned up. Too hard (I know! Git gud, etc). Could we just have an SP2 instead?

• Jalan says:

Felt the same way. Up until the zombies enter the picture, it’s highly possible that most people playing are doing so at a somewhat relaxed pace.

Not that it’s impossible to deal with, but something that balanced out their introduction in a way that accelerated the normal manner of play in a more palatable manner than that of “apply foot to gas immediately” would’ve been greatly welcomed.

• Shakes999 says:

Very much this. I enjoyed the hell out of it until about zone 20ish and then it turned in to a murderfest on my poor crew.

I mean instantly, the difficulty got ramped up to 11 and all the fun was taken out of it when i realized there was no where else I could go. Short of starting over and hoping for a world map with a more forgiving path through the map.

That being said, I’m gonna go boot it up and give it another try. I still like it, it was just poorly balanced.

• braven5 says:

with a little care a tactics, plus bit luck you can access level 30 zones peacefully and farm battlefields between Civ & UTA either via getting nutral with both though bribes, or use stealth and no weapons on battlefield and just collect debris and blueprints

• Shuck says:

Yeah, at a certain point in the game, I felt like I was “playing it wrong,” because I was just inching around trying to find easy paths, constantly grinding for resources. The limit on stored resources combined with some tough fights that could quickly wipe out your ships (that would take up most of the banked resources to replace) made me feel like I had to have max stored resources at all times to be able to recover from battles. Which meant that each fight was followed by a period of grinding that lead to situations that further depleted my stores and being leveled up higher than the game indicated I should be for a given region.

3. Calculon says:

Unfortunately with a name like that – there would have to be a lot more focus in the trailer of some sort of in-depth/strategic and tactical play.

What I see is a bunch of brightly colored objects blowing eachother up. If I wanted something like that – there are 1000 other games out there with very similar functionality.

Really Im thinking to myself when I watch the trailer: “Who funded this????” It does not inspire me to pick it up. Could be a gem – but I would wait for reviews on Steam etc before even considering it.

Nice job Alice making me click and read a little further though :)

• dontnormally says:

“Who funded this???” = many of the many people (like me) that thought the original was absolutely brilliant and can’t wait to see what else they come up with.

4. Napalm Sushi says:

I do hope that pompous rah-rah music isn’t indicative of the game’s actual soundtrack. The sinister, brooding electronica of the first game was one of my favourite things about it. Really reinforced the vibe of exploring the dangerous, clinging remnants of an imploded interstellar civilisation.

5. oggnogg says:

I really liked the first one. Pretty graphics, nice gameplay and witty NPC dialogs :3

6. Dilapinated says:

Really wish they’d learnt from the first one that “lulz lets use a slur against disabled people as our acronym” 4chan-level humour is not the best way to endear people to their game.

• dontnormally says:

Are you a Brit? In the US at least, I’ve never heard “SPAZ” used as a pejorative. It simply means hyper, excitable.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Yeah, this has come up repeatedly. As far as I can tell the devs really were not aware when they named it. Which is fair enough. But it does tend to give us brits a bit of a knee-jerk everytime the name comes up.

• DD says:

Its only a slur to limeys.

• Behrditz says:

They arent british. America does not use the word “spastic” to refer to mental illness.

7. Kaeoschassis says:

First game is a lot of fun. The combat’s satisfyingly slidey and blasty, ship customization is simple but enjoyable, visuals are nice, resource management feels a little “bolted on” sometimes but isn’t really a big enough deal to be annoying, and creates some interesting “retreat and regroup” scenarios sometimes. The main problem is that it just gets a little too drawn-out for its own good. It is not a game that can really justify its own length.

Seems like the formula’s been changed up a LOT for the sequel, which is a rare thing honestly, and it’s got me very interested. I like the idea they’re going for, but I’m a little wary about whether or not they’ll pull it off. We’ll see.

Nauallis says:

Yeah, your points are spot-on. SPAZ was one of the first non-AAA steam games I ever got, and it was a ton of fun, for awhile.

I couldn’t really remember why I stopped playing until you pointed out that it gets so drawn-out it’s almost impossible to follow what the original point of the story is/was.

8. Paj says:

The first one was great fun at first, but it got grindy very quickly.