Microsoft Will Stop Pestering You About Win 10 Soon

Microsoft’s increasingly underhand attempts to make the entire world upgrade to Windows 10 whether it wants to or not are, in theory, coming to an end this Summer. From regular, irritating nagging to quietly dumping several gigabytes’ worth of speculative install files onto your hard drive to even performing the upgrade unbidden if you don’t intervene in time, MS’s determination to have a huge installbase number to wave around have pissed off a great many people. Come July 29th, though, they should be finally giving up.

This is because that July 29th marks a year since release, and thus the end of the year in which Windows 7 or 8 users could upgrade to 10 for free. After that, it’ll cost you $119. In theory; I find it hard to believe that MS will entirely give up on their attempt to have Windows 10 on every computer in every house on every street in every town in every nation.

What this means is that the ‘Get Windows 10’ app, which has been the major source of the pestering, will be removed and disabled – though not right away. In a statement to WinBeta, Microsoft wrote that “Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.”

Good news if you don’t want Windows 10, be it on principle (hard sells are so ugly) or because of practical concerns about software or hardware compatibility, privacy or data loss. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Windows 10 is a good operating system. But it should be a choice, not a mandate.

Of course, if Microsoft do decide to extend the free offer, that troublesome nag app might come right back…

From this site

1. Neurotic says:

I had W10 on for almost 2 months – Nov-Dec 2015 – and I loved it to pieces. But I uninstalled it after it developed a really annoying glitch with explorer.exe constantly refreshing itself and causing everything to pause, flicker, and re-start. It’s a not un-common problem; I’m tracking it on the MS technical forums, etc. Also, it refused to play Saints Row The Third, which really was rubbing salt in the wound.

• Dynamique says:

Doing a clean-slate install from a USB-Stick (after the regular update) improved things for me…

2. Menthalion says:

The ‘forced’ update cost me all 6 TB of data on my raid disk thanks to a known bug (at least since Oct 15) in the Intel Management Engine drivers forced by the upgrade. These cause a problem with Sleep mode getting effed up and breaking your UEFI bios settings causing drives being dropped from your raid configuration (in my case on a Z97 Mobo).

The new version 11 drivers that fix it still aren’t in the Windows Update repo, so this is still claiming victims daily.

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for with free products.

• Alex Bakke says:

6TB of data and no backups? I wouldn’t blame the upgrade…

• automatic says:

I would, it’s an update imposed on the user.
        And it’s an operational system, not a game. If a game fails it does not compromise anything but the gameplay, an OS handles everything. Developers can’t tell if the end user is just browsing the internet or engineering spaceships so they must act responsably. Specially because it’s a paid OS, MS gets a lot of money for their work.

• Jiblet says:

You have 6TB of data on RAID 0?!

(I’m assuming it was RAID 0 since you say you’re implying you have no backup.)

• bee says:

RAID is NOT a backup. Mirroring data is not the same as backing it up.

• skorpeyon says:

While true, most other RAID solutions allow for simply swapping in a new drive, and wouldn’t completely fail if one drive is removed. Mirroring may not be a backup, but it is a secondary copy used to mitigate hardware failure. RAID 0, on the other hand, simply combines drives so they appear as a single drive, something I stopped doing after a similar issue as the OP (though mine was simple hardware failure and not an OS mucking things up). I’d rather have to replace the contents of a single drive than replace all contents of all my drives. Everything I have is mostly backed up on the cloud, or Steam, or some kind of digital place I can reclaim and redownload, but it doesn’t make it less of a pain in the butt to get it all back on my machine if I lose everything.

3. FreeTom says:

To anyone installing Win10, I firmly recommend a visit to link to fix10.isleaked.com to learn how to stop it stealing your data.

4. peterako1989 says:

If I remember correctly MS wanted to reach 1 billion(claimed it would) users. MA propably though that win10 being free it would surelly achieve that, but when it was apparent it would not, she tried to push it down the users throats.

• TormDK says:

Microsoft is well positioned to reach their goal of a billion installs across devices.

It’s growing faster than Windows 7 did, and is the #1 OS on Steam currently. (It toppled Windows 7 back in March)

• peterako1989 says:

Not by the time they said it would

• Javerlin says:

Misleading. They are not the NO.1 opperating system. Windows seven is, however windows seven is split between 64 and 32 bit versions. Windows 7 is still leading.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Win10 is also split across 32 and 64 bit in that list. However Win7 still has a 0,03% more penisshare, perhaps Windows 10 will trim the hedges a bit to make it look larger.

Steam Hardware & Software Penis Survey: April 2016
          Windows 10 64bit – 38.18%
          Windows 10 – 1.33%
          Total: 39,51%

Windows 7 64bit – 32.53%
          Windows 7 – 7.01%
          Total: 39,54%

5. trjp says:

My honest feeling on this after seeing 100s of machines in varying states of upgrade/workingness is that if you’re willing to do a clean install (and have a backup of your W7 to return to in case of issues) then go for W10 by all means.

I simply don’t recommend the upgrade – but then I’ve pretty-much NEVER recommended Windows upgrades because there are just WAY too many issues which can occur and which aren’t easy to fix.

I also tend to say “live with the spyware” – it’s not worth spending half-your-life trying to remove stuff they’re only going to re-enable via other means – MS have made it clear they’re playing hardball this time (mandatory updates etc.) so…

• Little_Crow says:

A fresh install is definitely the way to go.

However, I think you have to do an upgrade to W10 first and make sure it’s activated against the MS servers. Then can you nuke it from orbit and install a fresh copy (It’s the only way to be sure).

I’ve done it this way for 3 machines in my house after my google-fu failed to reassure me that the upgrade wouldn’t be necessary. I only have my gaming PC left to undergo the procedure which I’ve been putting off.

• Sir_Deimos says:

I really wish they would’ve allowed for a clean install at upgrade time, that was what kept me from doing it months ago. Finally took the dive a couple of weeks ago (new MoBo with no W7 drivers – thankfully, everything went smoothly), but every step of the way I was searching for a “Format and Install” option and was continually disappointed.

• Dare_Wreck says:

They do in fact allow a clean install on top of an existing Win 7 or 8 installation now. In fact, I think that started working around November or so last year. You can put a Win 7 serial number into the Win 10 serial number field, and it recognizes that you have a proper version of Windows and allows you to do a clean install without having to do an in-place upgrade and then a clean install. See the third to last paragraph here:

link to arstechnica.com

This is exactly how I upgraded my Windows 7 system to 10 as a clean install back in November.

6. Sleepery says:

It caused me a frantic morning of work when it installed itself unbidden on my work laptop, which in turn caused the presentation I was due to give that afternoon to freeze on random slides.

I was furious, I thought I’d gotten away from Microsoft wasting my time when I left my IT job.

• TormDK says:

Blame your IT admin, not Microsoft.

• Sleepery says:

I run my own business. I literally left the laptop on over night and the damn thing installed, despite me having postponed it for a few weeks hence. It quite specifically ignored the postponement date and went ahead and installed itself.

• Eterne says:

And if someone broke into a home and shot someone in the face, would you say “don’t blame the killer, blame the bullet-proof vest maker?”

7. BTAxis says:

I updated to 10 last summer. I see no reason to go back, it just works.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yup.

• mtomto says:

I’ve been fiddling with PCs all my my life and tried almost every OS there is, starting with DOS.

In my experience, the people who have issues are hardware related (old computers, or new shitty 300$ computers).

Some purist Linux people, that wont have a single service running that they haven’t started themselves, would probably argue about the infomation gathering that Windows 10 does. I’m not really bothered by it. I’m pretty sure it’s to deliver a better product and not some conspiracy. Linux is nice if you have the time, but I’d rather have the OS work for me and not the other way around. Maybe I’m weird :)

Then there’s Apple – You get something that works (for mail, work, internet and some games) but pay a hefty price for “design” (if design is flat and white). It’s good for non-techies.

Why not windows 7 then? In my opinion both windows 8 and 10 are faster – and that trumps all the bad design of windows 8. In the end Windows 10 is the best of both Windows 7 and 8. In my opinion Windows 10 is the best – by far. I have never had an issue.

• rochrist says:

Right. To deliver a better service. NOT to find more and better ways to turn you upside down and shake you till the last nickel falls out of your pocket.
        How charmingly naive.

• gunner1905 says:

How would MS “turn you upside down and shake you till the last nickel falls out of your pocket” with usage statistics?
          If you can answer that then go build the billion dollar business that would create.

How ignorant and delusionally cynical.

• Reapy says:

I’m always slow with OS updates, mostly because I just like to use my computer. I’ve always hated the IT part of PC, even though I’m a developer and I have to do plenty of “IT” stuff I just want to do it once and that is it.

Because of that, I always like to wait a long while between OS updates and let everything get ironed out, because it’s working now, why chance breaking it? There has to be a good reason… though copy paste in command line and/or bash sound nice, soon, perhaps… just not the damn virus like program they put on all our machines.

8. The First Door says:

Worth mentioning the latest issue to look out for if you’ve got an Asus motherboard and have chosen not to upgrade:

link to forbes.com

Microsoft are slightly taking the mick with the amount of ‘accidents’ which just so happened to download or install Windows 10 for you.

9. Basil says:

With all the anecdotal reports of Win10 upgrades coming as surprises on WORK machines it is hard to decide what is worse:
    Those IT Admins that don’t know how to block (not approve) the update on their infrastructure
    Users who embellish the unexpected upgrade to say it messed up their medical/engineering/business critical work.
    Legitimate users who rely on their Windows for income and use Home + don’t bother to learn or pay someone to manage this critical software.

I have 3 Windows 10 boxes at home + 1 at work, also 1 Win 8.1 and 1 Win7 and a couple of Win Server images and linux distros. Nothing upgraded without me wanting it. For the consultants I work with not one laptop has upgraded without our IT approving it.

Just like with XP some people will never move on, but unlike Win8 I think 10 is really good.

• shocked says:

Sorry, but that’s very arrogant.

In reality a lot of small businesses simply can’t afford an IT-admin or they can afford external companies exactly once to setup their computer. But many small businesses or individuals rely on a working computer and don’t have the resources to become part time admins, because they’re busy actually working their jobs.

It’s not helpful to blame the users for the massive fuckups that Microsoft caused by the way they more or less forced Win10 on the users hard disks.

• Basil says:

Sorry you maintain your fleet and premises and now your IT also. If I need my car for work I will make sure it is well serviced. If I need electricity for machinery or the shop closes down I look at generators. I can’t do what electricians and plumbers train to do so if I try my hand at it and something goes wrong do I cry at the hardware store? IT is no different, if your company or personal business relies on it you take care of it.

I sympathise with home pc users who are annoyed with how pushy MS is on this, I also understand the opinion that the users that never update, fall victim because of it, and then blame Microsoft are a problem. But a Business Critical Tool must be properly maintained and if you don’t want to do it yourself, you pay someone to as with any other resource. And the IT admins that can’t cope with this in my experience are generally just bad at their job.

I don’t blame the user or MS for the bad Windows 10 experience on company hardware – I blame the boss that skimps on IT or the admin that is inept.

• SlimShanks says:

I can’t help but notice that your head is up your ass. Do you really think that it is reasonable to require a trained IT guy to prevent an operating system which is supposed to be user friendly from causing huge problems with your computer?
          And as for people “embellishing” their stories. Do you really think the HORDES of people claiming the exact same problems are all just useless with computers? Not likely.

• MiniMatt says:

Have to say I’m with Basil on this one – though I’d perhaps phrase with more consideration.

If your business is big enough to require an accounts person, then it’s big enough to require an IT person. If your business is of a size that doesn’t require a full time accounts person but still gets an accountant in each year to do the taxes, then it’s big enough to get outsourced ad-hoc IT advice. If your business is so small that you do the accounts yourself then you can do the IT yourself and accept you’ll occasionally fail to anticipate IT problems just as you occasionally balls up the accounts.

Home computing software is reliable 99% of the time. Good IT people mitigate or eliminate the problems that can arise from that 1%.

It’s unrealistic to expect the OS to work as you expect 100% of the time. We don’t expect hardware to work 100% forever, whether we mitigate for the rare hard drive head crash is a cost/benefit analysis that business owners can take – just as they can take for OS foibles.

• SlimShanks says:

I definitely see what you are saying, but we are talking about different things here. An IT guy can prevent many problems, but can’t do a damn thing for your Windows 10 upgrade/installation. It is an automatic process, with no user input possible. So if people are having issues with such a basic function, that is a clear issue. And again, Windows 10 is designed for personal use, by average people, and should not require a techie on hand for most functions.
            I get that it works fine for many people, but burying your head in the sand doesn’t mean there aren’t any technical issues.
            Anyways, this whole conversation started from someone mentioning that Windows 10 installed without prompting. That is not a debatable issue, it is painfully well documented, and I think we can all agree at the very least that shouldn’t be happening, ever.

• Reapy says:

Not to mention there ARE a lot of bad IT guys out there, and if I am a dentist, how would I know if my IT guy is good? His resume might look good, he might talk well, my network might work most of the time… but how would I even know how to vet him?

I have this same issue when I try to get my car serviced, I have no clue besides what I read on the internet, you just roll the dice and pray for a good outcome.

• Hobbes says:

You don’t eh?

So MS putting an Internet Explorer update out in which then end run around admins and told users that the admin was forcibly blocking Windows 10 from being installed on corp networks, not Microsofts fault eh? – Source

Admins can do all the due dilligence in the world and Microsoft can STILL screw you over.

Kindly hand in your resignation, you’re clearly not doing your job properly. If you did you’d know damn well Microsoft have been attempting to give it up the backside to IT admins for the last year with some genuinely underhanded maneuvers.

• Bing_oh says:

I do alot of the IT work around my office because we don’t have a dedicated IT guy and the local shop that does it is unreliable, expensive, and generally underhanded (sounds like a division of Microsoft now that I think about it).

I disabled all of our computers from automatically updating to Win10, as we run a piece of software that is Win10-incompatible (not an option for a police department). Of course, Microsoft now regularly throws up GIANT upgrade boxes on the screen, hoping that someone without the proper knowledge will click their “upgrade” button.

10. xyberviri says:

Just run the following in a batch file, the GWX updates are MSKB 2952664, 3021917 & 3035583

If you just uninstall those and then hide the update this month(and next month when they get reissued) guess what…. no windows 10 nagware….

Make a txt file with the .bat extension and put the follwing in it.

start /w wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart
    start /w wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quiet /norestart
    start /w wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart

Double click and boom done.

Maybe instead of posting stupid articles like this you should post steps to help people shut up.

Or just tell them to upgrade.

• ZippyLemon says:

Get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

• LionsPhil says:

and next month when they get reissued

And the month after that…and the month after that…MS have destroyed trust in their updates.

11. oceanclub says:

I’m planning to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade (while upgrading my OS SSD drive at the same time); what’s the easiest way to do that? Can it be done without having to download and burn an ISO?

P.

• ItalianPodge says:

Just go to the windows 10 homepage and download the USB installer. When you boot off it put in your windows 7 or 8 product key and away you go….

12. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I really like Windows 10. Horrible GUI aside, I’ve never used an OS that worked quite so well. And this is coming from an old Mac OS convert, and we all know how easy it is to convince us Apple worshippers.

The only issue I have had with it so far is that every now and again, the taskbar, start menu, and explorer Windows become completely unclickable, and the only way to fix it is to open up cmd and run ‘shutdown /r’. Did anyone else get this, and did they fix it?

bsplines says:

I am getting this (except the explorer windows, those still work), but I haven’t really found a solution other than restarting the PC.

• TechnicalBen says:

Yep. That sounds about as reliable as I found Apple Mac OS back in the day I was at college.

Oh, sorry, you said “most reliable” then listed faults. Hmmm. :/

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Since you’ve decided to put what I said in quotes, then say something I didn’t say, I’ll clear the air a little bit for you: by “works quite so well”, I mean that it is fast, efficient, low on resource usage and clean. Something which the Mac OS no longer is.

I installed Yosemite on my 2-year old MacBook and it magically turned my laptop into a heaving, groaning piece of shit.

Either way, of course I’m going to list faults, as no OS is perfect, and that is one little niggle that has bothered me a little bit since I’ve installed. To be honest, it’s something that really doesn’t affect me hugely, since rebooting W10 on my computer takes about 20 secs from shutdown to booting back up (something which no Mac OS I’ve used to date is able to do). Unfortunately Apple sold their operating system down the bloatware river, and have since not returned, so I’ll be sticking to Windows until they find a way of getting on my nerves as much as Apple have.

• eLBlaise says:

I had Win 10 on my machine for roughly 3.5 weeks. In the last fourteen or so days I experienced the start menu/taskbar bug twice in as many weeks. I was able to fix it the first time but not the second (using the same techniques). It was the deciding factor in my decision to return to Win 7. There is a lot to like about Win 10 but all that is made irrelevant when something as simple as the start menu/taskbar are unresponsive for no good reason. I’ve not scoured the web in the last couple of months but as recently as March forums were still reporting this being an issue, if it’s ever fixed I may return.

• Koozer says:

I had a very similar issue soon after updating graphics drivers (among other things) – taskbar wouldn’t respond, no icons, had to do everything through hotkeys and CMD. I solved it (eventually) simply by purging the drivers and doing a fresh install.

13. shitflap says:

I was considering making a partition so I could upgrade to windows 10 there and keep my current windows 7 install intact, so I could go back to that if I hate it. Can any of you technically minded fellows tell me of any disadvantages of trying it out this way?

• xyberviri says:

no you can’t do that, it will overwrite the entire disk, you would have to buy a 2nd disc and clone it, then upgrade one of the clones, then add in windwos 7 as a boot

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I don’t have the answer to your question, but fuck me your name is hilarious.

• ItalianPodge says:

I also wanted to keep my windows 7 install so I decided to run a virtual machine within windows 10. I’ve only been using it for a week or so but it seems really good and I have a snapshot of it after all updates but no software installed so if it gets full of the usual junk I can just roll back to a clean install.

I’m using virtual box

14. causticnl says:

I had two pc’s upgraded to win10, all within 20 mins and without any dataloss.

15. Mario Figueiredo says:

No windows 10 here and no Windows either anymore. After 30 years, I finally pulled the plug before Windows 10 was launched and after realizing this would be the second version on a row I would be skipping.

It certainly helped the decision that fact that I had been for a few years a Linux/Windows user. The transition to full Linux wasn’t hard and I don’t regret it. But Microsoft business and its operating system are simply not for me anymore. I cannot feel any motivation to support the company and its methods. In fact I consider Microsoft entirely hostile towards its users.

• Brtt says:

I hear ya.

I’m still on W7, and I’m won’t switch anytime soon.
      And whenever that happens, I’ll go Linux (Mint or some such, but definitely not Ubuntu).

The Borderer says:

Mint is Ubuntu based, although most of the problems people had with it was with Unity, which isn’t installed in any of the various distros of Mint.

If you do decide to switch to Linux I would still recommend Mint though, it is what I use. GOG support it for their Linux games too.

• subedii says:

Similar here.

All the W10 shenanigans were the push I needed to finally take the plunge on Linux Mint.

Today I honestly wouldn’t go back. Probably helps that I’m primarily an indie gamer and there’s a tonne of support amongst indie devs for Linux. But the only recent game I can think of that I would have switched to Windows for was XCOM2, and that launched day-and-date on Linux. The only upcoming game I can really see myself wanting is DoW3, and given that Relic have already moved CoH2 over (and there’s rumours Feral are porting DoW2 as well), there’s a pretty high probability I won’t need to dual boot for that either.

16. Hobbes says:

Good! Finally I might get some peace. I got out of Sysadmin for a reason (aside from health) and it was precisely because of MS pulling dick moves like these.

Windows 10 can burn, brightly and painfully for all I care. It caused me no end of headache on my own computer (and my one is used as a testbench for windows 7 projects in alpha stage to help devs home in on various directx issues, I thought adding 10 as a dual boot would be an extra string to my bow, yeah no).

It’s caused me no end of headache from the “Tech support for friends and family” angle, and I’ve even had ex-work contacts drag me back to troubleshoot issues with MS infesting their supposedly clean networks because an IE update kindly dropped a GWX variant app in saying “Your sysadmin has disabled the Get windows 10 update, your computer REALLY would love to update!”, and I had to help them unfuck that little mess.

No. No fuck you Microsoft. You and Windows 10 can fuck right off. Most Sysadmins are quite happy dealing with Win 7 networks, they behave, we have no desire to move up to Win 10 on corp networks any time soon, because god forbid the kind of can of worms that will open.

Was it really so difficult to just give us Windows 7 with a lick of paint and some extra features, REALLY?

*Grumble*

Hydrogene says:

I don’t have Windows nagging me to install Win 10 anymore… since I upgraded to Win 10! And I’m kind of sorry I did.
    But since then, on 50% of startups, one of my SSD isn’t detected by Windows anymore. And it only comes back up after a reboot. Very annoying. I tried to “fix” it with different BIOS settings, but to no effect.

• Koozer says:

No idea if it’ll help in your case, but a lot of my issues in Windows 10 on my laptop were solved by removing and reinstalling various drivers. Sound, display, touchpad…

18. silentdan says:

I’m going to avoid Windows 10 for as long as possible. I’ve never had a multinational corporation work so damn hard to get me to accept their product for free. I don’t know exactly what they’re getting out of the deal, but it’s clearly tremendously valuable. Considering all the snooping it likes to do, and the disregard for my wishes that Microsoft has demonstrated during the Great Coercion of the past year, I think I’m just going to stick with “nope.” Even if I were intellectually persuaded that Win10 poses no risk to me, I’ve just been left with such a rotten taste in my mouth that I’d never really feel comfortable with it.

• Bfox says:

⬆️ This so much.

• Brtt says:

I don’t know exactly what they’re getting out of the deal
      Of course you do: they strive to be the next Google (or even worse, if you can believe that) in terms of Big-Brotherism.
      But hey, can’t blame them… after all, who doesn’t like to trample upon the privacy of others these days ?

• manny says:

Probably NSA is putting pressure on them to get their latest spyware up and running on tens of millions of chinese and russian pcs. This gives them a better view of the country than those countries own intel services.

19. Bing_oh says:

M$ continues to use whatever dirty tricks they have in their playbook to get people to switch to Win10. Being an anti-convertee, I got an email yesterday telling me that my 10+ year old hotmail account will no longer be accessible from my Windows Live Mail 2012 because of a change in “synchronization technologies.” Of course, M$ ever so helpfully let me know that I could upgrade to Win10 or buy the newest version of Office, both of which have compatible email programs. Buncha underhanded bastards…

20. Bobtree says:

I’ve decided not to “upgrade” from Win7 to 10. There are too many issues, negatives, and they are desperately trying to force it on us. Automatic deletion of installed software, built-in advertising, and the inability to control updates are all deal-breakers.

21. waltC says:

I find it hilarious that even though Microsoft is giving away Win10–which, if you own a desktop, you will never have to replace with a newer OS because there won’t be anything newer, ever–that people are moaning because Microsoft is reminding them to install before the free upgrade period ends. They moan about that and next they’ll be complaining when the upgrade period elapses that it’s “unfair” and they “didn’t have enough time” and etc. ad infinitum. People love to bitch and moan…;) Ah well, you can lead the horse to water…

I’ve been using Win10 since Oct 1, 2014, when I was dual-booting Win7/8.1 with the beta pre-release of Win10; I’ve stayed with Win10 ever since, now on build 14316, and I removed Win8.1 almost a year ago and haven’t missed it or looked back once (I didn’t miss Win7 when I upgraded that to 8.1). It actually supports games better than Win7–especially older games, some of which run fine on 10 but wouldn’t run at all under 7.

The next commercial build of Win10, due this summer, is going to be really, really nice as I am testing the Insider builds leading up to it. So I know…;) (Anyone can, really.) BTW, Metro and square tiles are not required–your stock desktop can look just like it did under Win7, if that’s what you want. But if you want all that 000gly stuff you can have it with Win10–some people actually do.

Basically, my Win7 rig ran like it was mired in molasses compared to Win10x64…;)

• Brtt says:

And I find it sad that there are so many people like you that only can (or bother to) see the tree, forgoing the nasty swamp of a forest that lies behind.
      Out of curiosity, might you be an iPhone (or WP of course) user ?

However good the OS might be, it’s the way it has been pushed down people’s throats, and the total disregard for privacy, that are the real problem.

Just because you only care about the shinnies doesn’t mean everybody that doesn’t is stupid.

• Cederic says:

I’m happy that you’re so delighted with Windows 10 but wanted to point out that your experience is atypical.

It’s also rather comical to suggest Windows 10 supports games better than earlier versions when even in this discussion someone’s named a game that runs fine on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and.. not on Windows 10.

As for the fairness of a free upgrade.. it’s a downgrade in privacy, a downgrade in user control, a downgrade in system usability. No wonder it was free, you’d have to be an imbecile to pay money for it.

Please, be assured that I will not be complaining when Microsoft ceases their arrogant invasive attempts to prevent me using the operating system I did pay for.

• Universal Quitter says:

“They moan about that and next they’ll be complaining when the upgrade period elapses”

So do you not care that these are probably two separate groups of people, with little to no overlap, or do you really just assume the world only has a few thousands people in it?

22. Chorltonwheelie says:

Well, if it stops the constant fucking moaning about getting the best Windows for free then good.

23. Chaoslord AJ says:

I just hope my gaming gear will not fail after the upgrade. Had several problems with W10 devices in the past but it’s not like leaving a quality OS behind since I’m on 8.1 at the moment.
    Too bad there’s no PC gaming alternative to Windows as MS’ strategic and design decisions are suicidal.

24. PancakeWizard says:

FYI, Windows 7 users with Asus motherboards need to watch out

25. BladeFireLight says:

I have worked with every version of windows since 2.0 Every time there is a new release, upgrades have been painful for the first bit. Windows 10 is no different. The initial release 1507 had a number of driver issues, but it has been getting better 1511 was a massive improvement and so will 1607 when it comes out in July.

I have a number of computers at home that all run Windows 10 even though some are over 6 years old. I’m happy with the upgrade and while I understand some people don’t want to change or fear the problems that come with an upgrade. While all my systems had little issue, my sister and brother had issues and reverted back to windows 7.

Windows 10 has been out long enough it should be easy to check online to see if people with similar hardware have had issues, and make the choice about upgrading.

26. skorpeyon says:

While I’m completely against the auto-upgrade concept, the nagging is something Microsoft probably should be doing in some fashion or another. Considering the fact that their previous OS’s will be compromised and unsupported, pointing people toward an upgrade is somewhat important. This is especially true with the track record behind Internet Explorer, and statistics that would keep showing a SIGNIFICANT number of people were still using heavily outdated and vulnerable versions of the browser. I’m glad they’re taking a more aggressive stance. Like I said, though, I am completely against auto-installing things of this nature.

27. plastesin says:

The wise decision is you hold the upgrade to Windows 10 until the very last day. I will not participate the 1-year ‘Windows 10 Beta’, after 364 days has passed, I will upgrade…