Scavenging A War-Torn City In Escape From Tarkov Video

Do you like guns? Do you like guns that realistically jam on you because you scavenged them in a war-torn Eastern European city and you had no other choice because people were trying to kill you and you had to defend yourself? Well that’s kind of what Escape From Tarkov [official site] is all about.

Last week, some of developers from Russian studio Battlestate Games hopped onto YouTube for their first ever livestream to dig into the atmosphere and complex systems of Escape From Tarkov. The parallels to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and its sequels are pretty obvious, but Escape From Tarkov is aiming to translate all that hardcore shootyness into a hybrid-MMORPG.

If you have an hour and a half to spare, you can watch the archive of the livestream above. In the video, the developers showcase some of Escape From Tarkov’s ridiculously granular gun customization, including the ability to remove or modify components of your weapon in order to affect how well they function. There’s also a good deal of shooting, and if you’re a fan of the more realistic and intense firefights found in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Escape From Tarkov looks promising.

Okay, but I swear Escape From Tarkov isn’t just a ripoff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. From the looks of things, it’s taking that foundation and adding a great deal more customization and features, including an RPG progression system where you level up and unlock new skills. It’s not quite clear how the nuances of multiplayer will work, but Escape From Tarkov will feature perma-death and several modes including 10 story-based scenarios that can then be revisited to roam around and scavenge for loot. When asked in an FAQ thread on their forums if Escape From Tarkov could be completed alone, the response read: “We do not intend to make an offline single-player campaign, though anyone is free to try and clear the game alone, without help from partners in co-op.”

However it all ties together, we won’t have to wait too long to find out since Escape From Tarkov is due out later this year and will cost $44.99/34,99€ for the basic preorder package.

There’s also this more action-packed trailer from 2015:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. crowleyhammer says:

That sounds really cool, cant wait.

“but Escape From Tarkov is aiming to translate all that hardcore shootyness into a hybrid-MMORPG.”

Fuck sake, I’m out. because the best bit of stalker was all the other people bunnyhopping around tea bagging each other.

• slerbal says:

That was immediate reaction too: immediate interest swiftly crushed.

• SomeDuder says:

lmao, yea, when I read the “MMORPG” part I was like, welp, fuck this then.

Glad we’ve still got the Stalker “Complete” mods, they are still pretty damn playable

2. Zallgrin says:

I love the Action Gameplay trailer. As Russian speaker, I’m cracking about everything the Russians say xD

Держи подарок!
    Припухли туристы?!

3. Blackcompany says:

As I understand it, fans of STALKER loved the isolation and Immersion the game offered. Alas, I came along a bit late for the games myself.

Buy who decided to make a game like it – to the point they keep reminding us – only…as an MMO. It may not be the dumbest move in gaming recently but it can’t be far off, either…

• Distec says:

This is at least the second run at the concept as well, right? Survarium is the other one I can think of, and it seems the enthusiasm for that was killed once everybody slowly accepted that it was just an MP affair.

This isn’t to say you can’t have “Multiplayer STALKER”. In an alternate dimension where we have more games like SOO or COP, this would be perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately, there really haven’t been many (if any) games like those since. It’s inevitable that you’re going to be compared to those touchstones and found lacking.

4. Maritz says:

An MMO? How disappointing.

5. Severn2j says:

If it was PvE, in a Division kind of way, I’d be in because that game convinced me that MMOs can work (although my interest nose-dived after completing the story missions), but not interested in PvP at all..

6. MrFinnishDude says:

Cheeki Breeki: The MMO.

7. RED says:

I hate MMOs by default. That’s my thing. So EFT is a big no no but being professional nolife I am probably gonna watch some LPs.

That being said, the idea of multiplayer experience in STALKER could work. It would be nice to go through some secret soviet lab with a buddy or team of stalkers. Maybe something like Payday… but with Snorks.

8. Robomonk says:

I think this can work if it’s a cross between Division (like what some people have said) and Dark Souls multiplayer mechanics. You can go to a lobby type area and see other players, but when you go out in the gaming world, you are on your own (if you didn’t recruit/invite people). You can still invite your friends or others and maybe even summon people to pvp. In certain challenging areas you can search for active groups in the instance and request to join.

9. a very affectionate parrot says:

Looks gorgeous and has a great premise right until the acronym of evil appeared.
    Is it so wrong to just make a stalker clone now? We haven’t had a Stalker game in 7 years and even though the series has a great mod scene it can’t stay fresh forever.
    I just want another depressing post-soviet hellscape to roam around in without being murdered and subsequently teabagged by bewilderingly foulmouthed 15 year olds.

• Ross Angus says:

Indeed, when Steven said:

Okay, but I swear Escape From Tarkov isn’t just a ripoff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I thought “but that’s exactly what I want!”

10. Scobie says:

For Christ’s sake, developers, stop taunting us with the prospect of an heir to STALKER and then ruining it. Somebody out there make another STALKER so we can all stop whining about it every time this happens.

11. ScrawnyFlannelman says:

Everybody hears “MMO” and runs for the fricking hills.

What you folks would realize, if you’d actually look into it, is that the first M isn’t actually all that bad, because the server populations they’re shooting for aren’t exactly “massive”. We’re talking 50+ or so, and co-op groups of around five members each. If you’ve ever played a Battlefield game, you’ve been in larger server populations than that. The genre mashup is mostly a formality.

The locations in the game are just large instanced areas, that players can jump into whenever. The game world is persistent, and there are time of day/weather effects and such. This is essentially the basic elements of the STALKER formula. Set in an instanced/open-world, in a DMZ, with limited access to resources, and death at the end of every bullet. The gunplay is sound, the inventory system is really smart, the weapon customization is crazy detailed, and so much more. Seriously, take a few deep breaths, and settle down from your fear of whatever “MMO virus” you’re worried this game has caught. Look into it without that bias, if you actually have an interest in seeing games follow in SoC’s shoes. I can understand if you think the single-player side of things is a key piece of that formula, but don’t shrug this one off just because of a largely inaccurate acronym.

• Andrew says:

Why RPS is so full of isolationists, anyway? Is that a British thing?

• SomeDuder says:

It’s not about “isolationism”, it’s just… some games are better enjoyed alone. Stalker’s atmosphere was fantastic – exploring the various abandoned structures and underground labs made you feel small and alone.

How would that experience be improved by a guy yelling into his mic while stuffing Doritos and Dew into his face?

And while I’ve no idea what the developers of Escape are going for, I can only assume that they want to recapture some of the Stalker setting. And if that’s what they want, then I honestly can’t see how a MMO flavour brings a positive influence to the game.

Or maybe it’s just a little pushback against the “Everything and all MUST be multiplayer!” trend that’s been creeping into any game I might be interested in.

• Andrew says:

Wasn’t smart, life-like NPCs a selling point of “S.T.A.L.K.E.R.”? And here you can have real deal! Backstabbing scum at every corner, willing to kill you for a couple of rubles, bottle of vodka and some salami.

But, seriously, you assume it’s gonna be the worst case, but why not think about the best case? World, were you can find kind soul or your worst enemy. Really living world. Or just world in which you can play with your friends.

Not every game needs to have multiplayer, true, but multiplayer in “S.T.A.L.K.E.R.” is a no-brainer. Duh, as you may say. And if they put a little bit more thought into it, than “DayZ” devs did, it have a potential to be great. If “Dark Souls” can do it, at least, give them a chance.

• fish99 says:

Have you seen how people actually behave in online games?

• Andrew says:

Yes. Wow, that was an easy question.

Did you played “Dark Souls”?

• Llewyn says:

And yet one you don’t seem to have been capable of answering in good faith.

• Andrew says:

You accusing me of lying now? Well, if people like you gonna play “Tarkov”, maybe it’s gonna be bad. I see your point, then.

• fish99 says:

Even in Dark Souls the other players kill any sense of immersion, with their goofy behaviour and silly names, and that’s in a game which allows no voice chat. If you want to know what a Stalker MMO would be like have a look at the lobby in H1Z1 and tell me how that wouldn’t ruin the immersion in a game like Stalker.

For example, the Bar in Stalker is full of Stalkers, yet it’s a sober place of hushed conversations. If those were other players, they’d be all dancing, and shouting racist abuse or playing Brainpower over voice chat. Instantly that kills the immersion.

• Andrew says:

goofy behaviour and silly names

Oh, for cryin’ out loud…

Good luck playing anything on electronic devices, staring at a monitor or tv, without ruining your immersion.

Qazinsky says:

I am a bit of two minds about STALKER and multiplayer. On the one hand, I can totally see the alone and feeling insignificant. On the other, I can also remember fighting off mutants and bandits with fellow STALKERs and sharing hideouts from emissions with bandits in an uneasy truce. I feel like STALKER is all about comraderie, to join up with fellow humans that share your ideals and try to get through another day.

The third game is all about finding your fellow faction members, that’s why you’re in the Zone to begin with, to find out what happened to your fellow soldiers.

The problem is the same as with The Elder Scrolls, when players ask for multiplayer, the devs go “Ah, MMO, gotcha!” when the players would prefer some pals to hang out with, not a big fillied to the brim with players game.

But I absolutely feel that there is space in STALKER for some friends to adventure with, remember, not even Strelok went to the centre alone.

• Andrew says:

As ScrawnyFlannelman points out, it’s not gonna be full blown MMO like WoW. More like “The Division”, but one where you always in Dark Zone.

• Aldehyde says:

And what if I find The Division’s take on that sort of deal wholly uninteresting? I want to like Tarkov, I really do, but the way they’re doing multiplayer is something I’m probably not going to be interested in.

I still have a fairly open mind about it but they will have to prove it’s worth having to deal with other people. Hopefully, they’ll prove me wrong.

• Andrew says:

I’m not saying “The Division” is a good game, or even good multiplayer game. Just similar in “that sort of deal”.

I’m not sure how else can you do cooperative/competitive multiplayer game with always-on PvP, so I’m not sure, do you complaining about online-only thing, or some specifics of that.

john_silence says:

Because DayZ. Because real people online manage to be less interesting to interact with than the bandit AI from a 10-year-old game.

Saying this I actually had a great time in multiplayer on SoC. The regular deathmatch and “capture the artefact” modes were so much elevated by the maps – I mean, who wouldn’t want to play hide and seek with armed men in Pripyat?

• TheRealHankHill says:

Yeah, people over react here so much.

12. Eukatheude says:

Yes, more of this please. STALKER is the best game, therefore all games must be like STALKER.

Qazinsky says:

It would be nice with SOME games like STALKER, but the last STALKER like game that got released was… uh, a STALKER game.

13. SlimShanks says:

Well, since we have a Stalker related post, here is my obligatory Misery mod recommendation. I have 300 hours in that mod, and I’m super cool, so what are you waiting for?
    Seriously though look into it.
    link to

14. kud13 says:

Mildly interesting premise, but lack of single player is a deal-breaker.