Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Launch Trailer Is Pretty Talkative

Mirror’s Edge Catalyst [official site] might not be out for another two weeks, but that’s not stopping EA from showcasing some cryptic cutscenes in this suave new launch trailer. It’s got the standard dramatic swell of music punctuated by all-too-serious clipped together dialogue, but I actually like the way it blends in with the serene ambiance of the first game. You should probably just watch and see for yourself.

Confusingly enough, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst is actually a reboot of the first game and it focuses more on fleshing out the heroine, Faith, as a character. That’s well and good, but what has me more interested is the refinements to the traversal and combat system. DICE decided that guns were kinda lazy and so, in Catalyst, Faith won’t be able to pick them up or use them. Instead, she puts her momentum and flow into melee.

In an interview with Polygon last year, senior producer Sara Jansson had this to say: “Now the fighting is more of an extension of the movement. It builds on the flow. It fits a lot better with the game mechanics. When Faith is in flow, when she stitches together move after move without failing and keeps her momentum going, she’s actually invulnerable to bullets. That can keep her out of harm’s way. It’s only when she stops that she can get hurt.”

Like the first Mirror’s Edge, Catalyst looks like quite the stunner, but I’m a little worried that the new emphasis on story is going to push it in a different direction I was hoping for. I would rather see improvements to the running than get to know what dumb thing Faith did to get herself locked up in juvy. I supposed Catalyst could have its cake and eat it too.

MIrror’s Edge is out on June 7 for North America and June 9 for Europe, and can be purchased with real money or earned as a reward for surviving any one of the ridiculous stunts seen in the trailer. Just kidding, don’t try that. I can’t have that on my conscience.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Turkey says:

“What are you going to do next?”

“I’m gonna run… my bullets through the hot flesh of my enemies. Hell yeah! Headshot city, baby.” *cocks double guns*

AutonomyLost says:

At the end of the article the dates are incorrect. They should read June 7th for North America and June 9th for Europe.

AutonomyLost says:

Also — I’m excited for the game and to experience its beautiful world first-hand finally, all despite the triteness of the trailer.

4. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

I enjoyed the beta, but yeah, the writing was definitely not its strong point. Felt like a case of the game wanting so desperately to be taken seriously that it forgot to be interesting.

They *are* trying, to be fair, and they don’t necessarily have the wrong idea–giving Faith a cadre of characters who she has actual relationships would certainly be an improvement over the first game. It’s just that the execution is so damn tedious. None of these characters talk like actual people; and for all the talk about freedom and self-expression, none of them seem to have much capacity for joy or fun either. “Scrappy group of underdogs go up against a dystopian police force” should be an easy home run–Beyond Good and Evil effectively set up similar stakes in the first five minutes–but so far Catalyst has just left me cold.

Then again, Mirror’s Edge doesn’t exactly have a history of great writing, so maybe they’re just carrying on the franchise tradition at this point.

Aitrus says:

“… none of them seem to have much capacity for joy or fun either.”

Hey, that one guy is smiling and hugging at that one point in that trailer!

5. kwyjibo says:

What the writing on the original Mirror’s Edge taught us, and what the latest Doom reaffirms, is that writing is garbage.

Fire your writers. Just have a bunch of time trials in a pretty city. It’ll be a better game.

• Xocrates says:

DOOM actually visibly spent a lot of time on its writing.

DOOM doesn’t reaffirm that “writing is garbage”, DOOM reaffirms that players shouldn’t have to give a fuck about your writing – which doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do a good job of it.

• Low Life says:

Also there’s some great writing in DOOM, even if (or because?) it doesn’t take itself seriously.

6. Kefren says:

Time to cliche trailer bass-thump effect: 5 seconds.

7. St_Jay says:

Was that a grappling hook? I didn’t know she’ll have a grappling hook. Maybe I’m too old or something, but was it really necessary to give her that…

Marclev says:

So, some people complained that the combat in the first game was awkward … so they fixed it by putting you in god-mode unless your stationary and preventing you from picking up guns, presumably even if there’s one laying right in front of you.

Anybody else have some serious misgivings about this or is it only me?

Why prevent you from using guns. In real life if someone was shooting at me and I was running away, if there was a gun in my path I’d sure be at least tempted to pick it up, even if I was in full on flight mode.

• lagiacrux says:

not really. if you have played the first game you know that the shooting parts were the worst part (followed closely by the writing).
      the game is about fluid movements. standing around with guns defeats that purpose. also thinking that a runner could just pick up any gun lying around and handle it like a pro is pretty unrealistic as well.

Dez says:

What if they kept the guns, and should Faith fire one, not only does she wildly miss, but the recoil smashes the gun into her face, causing a little damage and her to drop the gun?

• Kefren says:

Yes, it seems weird not to have player choice. I completed the first game once where I occasionally used guns; and once where I never did. Both runs were different and enjoyable. I never understood the complaints.

Ninja Dodo says:

It’s about focus. If your game is about parkour evading and escaping but the path of least resistance is just picking up a gun and shooting everybody most players are going to do that instead. You can try to solve that by making guns ineffective but some will still use them (because obvious choice) and then rightly complain that the guns are shit. A simpler, and possibly better, solution is to add the constraint that the player cannot use guns at all. That way you don’t risk players min-maxing their way into a less fun mode of play and you (the developer) can focus on making the parkour more awesome instead of splitting your time between traversal and gunplay.

• Kaeoschassis says:

All I’m going to miss is the “don’t shoot” button. How many games have a “don’t shoot” button? Making the conscious decision to throw down every gun after disarming the enemy felt good, really really good. Purely from a gameplay perspective I recognize the decision to just not give us guns as a very good one, the shooting itself was awful and not at all the point.

9. Hedgeclipper says:

huh reboot? I thought it was going to be a prequel

• Leonick says:

I feel like re-imagining would be the better term.

It’s not a reboot, the only thing in common between the stories seem to be the main character and general world concept.

Maybe it’s a prequel but the impression I’ve gotten is that it doesn’t really tie to the original in any way, though that impression might change after actually playing through the game I guess.

10. AyeBraine says:

I realize this is incredibly stupid and inconsequential. But I really don’t like what they made out of Faith.

It’s small details, sure. But iconic characters in cinema also were propelled into our consciousness by similar small details. I mean, Faith had an angular, cold, thin-lipped face with a shaggy mop of hair. This Faith has a KPOP pretty face with lip gloss, feminine vulnerability installed, and a perfectly maintained anime hair, laboriously imitating shaggy bangs. That Faith wore rough-hewn cargo pants (I realize only now how important they were – their creases, wear&tear, and tactile denim texture contrasted amazingly with sterile world around you, making you feel “your” body all the more vividly). This Faith wears glossy Turkish skinnies her classmate suggested, revealing a quite un-athletic behind (also resembling her smartphone-obsessed classmate). And her sneakers (that were reasonably worn-in, velcro-shaggy and kinetic in the original) are now a pair of trendy Reebok limited editions, made specifically for Middle East immigrants with rich parents, to wipe with a tissue and parade in front of their semi-gangster buddies.