Steam Summer Sale Starts Next Week, Say PayPal

For the next week, you might want to stop treating yourself to a lunchtime cup of hot frothy wren blood or whatever it is you people drink and put those pennies aside. The 2016 Steam Summer Sale is likely starting next Thursday, June 23rd, going by an over-enthusiastic announcement from PayPal. They’ve been right before.

“It’s official: the Steam sale starts 23rd June,” PayPal tweeted today.

I think Valve have official say on that, you scamps, but who can blame them for being over-excited? PayPal is one of Steam’s accepted payment methods so, y’know, they probably do know about these things and would like you to funnel your pennies through them. PayPal have leaked correct Steam sale dates before so sure, it’s probably right.

Fingers crossed for another Steam sale where they simply discount lots of games, with none of the complicated minigames and levelling and badges and flash deals and microdeals and nanodeals and picodeals and crafting they got into for a while. I like being able to look at a list of games and decide “I will have that one please, thank you” rather than need to cross-check numbers and reports to guess if it’ll be cheaper later on. The nice thing about digital sales is that, unlike sales in physical shops with limited stock and clawing crowds, they needn’t necessarily be hell.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. SuicideKing says:

Yeah, so they say too: link to

AutonomyLost says:

Hot frothy wren blood made me laugh out loud.

Also, I am making myself NOT buy any more games until I at least finish my main Witcher 3 campaign and get to dip into the DLCs. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.

• richard says:

Still, no harm in looking, eh? Just a wee peek. Strictly window shopping this time around…

• MajorLag says:

Don’t worry. There will come a time in your life when you look at, but don’t buy, games because “Eghads, 60 hours of Gameplay? Who has time for that!?”. Not that I’m bitter about adult life or anything.

3. marlin says:

Any chance Summer could start before this sale…it’s like November out here..

4. Ross Angus says:

Just what the Windows XP wallpaper needed: a pond.

5. satan says:

About time, I was almost getting to the point where I was considering paying full price for a new game.

• Valkyr says:

Did… Did you finish your backlog?…

• Darth Gangrel says:

Uhhh… no, I still have plenty of games left in my backlog, but I’ve reduced it enough to (weakly, self-delusionally) justify getting a new game. Gonna have to put more money into my paypal account, it’s good that they got an instant transfer option nowadays. You used to have to wait three whole banking days and so any sales offers except the all-week ones were out of the question if you hadn’t already enough money.

Alice, the last few Steam sales have actually been rather minimalistic. I remember one where they were even so bold as to skip all short time-limited deals and keep the same discounts during the entire sales period. You only had to check in once during those two weeks to see how much cheaper your wishlisted games were and know that things weren’t gonna change.

• Turkey says:

I bought a couple of full price games two days ago. It felt awful.

Lars Westergren says:

I thought it was official that they had stopped with the daily/hourly deals? All attention was on them, so everyone who didn’t get a slot sold less during a sale even if they had massive discounts.

Anyway, I have wishlisted a dozen Vive games. I want to support the devs, but some of them are asking full price for what looks like very simple and short early access titles.

Doom, Total Warhammer, Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 season pass might be on the menu as well, depending on how cheap they get.

• RobF says:

Yeah, there’s thankfully only one discount again.

• desolation0 says:

It’s partly to do with the refund system. No sense charging varying amounts when everyone will just refund to try and get it as cheap as they can manage as soon as the deal comes up. Saves them quite a headache to do a single price.

7. dungeoncrawl says:

Don’t mean to be a wet blanket but the past few years this sale has seemed less than exciting. Does anybody else remember a time when the sales were massive and you truly got deals that you couldn’t get all year long? Now it seems like the same discounts they’ve offered in daily deals over the past 3 months.

• RobF says:

With each sale, the discounts have been getting deeper across a wider spread of games. I’ve been writing “what you can get for under x moneys” round ups for a few years now and last year, I all but gave up. It takes so many tens of pages just to get to games that cost a quid, it’s ridiculous. Most games are stepping discounts as well so sale after sale, they’re dropping further.

It’s just sale fatigue in the main rather than anything that’s happening on Steam. With three major sales each year and major drops in prices being a daily thing now, it’s just that it’s all a lot easier to lay your hands on cheap videogames than it was 5 years ago.

But! I’m glad Valve are making the sales ‘less exciting’ because it seems really weird to be making checking a store multiple times a day part of someone’s daily routine at the best of times.

• KoenigNord says:

I miss the funny ingame rewards and challenges from the very first Steam Summer Sale. They had a lot of weird stuff for TF2 and even SpaceChem, etc. Got my golden Beat Hazard ship that time, too.

• MajorLag says:

I think it was more exciting early on for a few reasons. For starters, not everyone was doing it, and the discounts were damned steep by comparison to other sales. They also did a whole lot of promotion of indie games, of which there were not really that many at the time so they were all much more interesting. Oh, also there was that time they gave away free games just for getting some achievements, that probably had something to do with it. And the time they gave away every game on Steam to one lucky rando. And the time they gave some random people their entire Wishlist for free. Were those all the same sale? If so it was a damned good one.

8. sicanshu says:

My most ironic steam sale purchase of all time:
    “You Need a Budget”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s got a pretty cool UI but the whole thing is just one big grind and I read in some reviews that even if you grind enough Monies to level up, there’s no guarantee that you will.

9. Mi-24 says:

ah but you forgot about femtodeals! (0.000000000000000001% off)

10. IcyBee says:

What’s the point in buying games next Thursday? The world (or at least the country) is going to end the following day. Apparently.

11. Distec says:

This might sound insane and masochistic, but if they’re just going to be doing a normal “boring” sale like they did last winter, they should at least bring back something like the Monster Summer Sale game with all the metagame shenanigans. I thought that was a fairly engaging and thoroughly pointless waste of time (meant in a good way!).

• kalirion says:

Yeah, otherwise it’s just going to be “wait 5-10 hours for Steam servers to stabilize, go through wishlist, check third party site for all deals ordered by price, no incentive to come back for the rest of the sale.”

• CMvan46 says:

Wait, how is this a bad thing? I no longer have to check every few hours for what deal might be up. I can buy the few things I have my eye on knowing they won’t be cheaper and be done with it. It baffles me people want the old way back…

Can you imagine a Walmart holding a sale for a week where everything will be discounted but some stuff will be discounted every 4 hours for a short time and others for 48 hours at a time and then it’s gone. What kind of crap would that be? Nobody would think this is a good idea or consumer friendly in any way.

Why do you want to be “entertained” by a sale instead of by the games you’d buy?

12. legopirate27 says:

“stop treating yourself to a lunchtime cup of hot frothy wren blood or whatever it is you people drink”

– This is why I love reading Alice’s articles

DelrueOfDetroit says:

What do you mean “you people”?

14. Azimuth Alignment says:

Always a good time to remember to visit to check whether those sale prices really are a bargain or not!

• Azimuth Alignment says:

Broke that one… I meant

Fridays, amirite?

• TheLetterM says:

I’ll add that the Enhanced Steam Chrome plugin lets you check price trends directly on the Steam webpage, so you can get a sense if the prices have ever been lower at a glance.

15. Koozer says:

I’m still getting over the fact I got sunburn in Glasgow.

What’s that about sales?

16. kud13 says:

I think the GoG summer sale has me pretty much covered. Unless there’s a ridiculous discount on Arkham Knight, I don’t really see myself giving valve any money.

17. kalirion says:

“Fingers crossed for another Steam sale where they simply discount lots of games, with none of the complicated minigames and levelling and badges and flash deals and microdeals and nanodeals and picodeals and crafting they got into for a while.”

So just another boring sale then? Meh.

18. Chiron says: