BioShock: The Collection Bringing Revamped Rapture

Rapture is still one of my favourite video game places, and I’m quite keen to return to it all fancied-up. Following a string of leaks, publishers 2K today announced BioShock: The Collection [official site]. It’s coming our way in September with all three BioShock games and their singleplayer DLC plus a video series with words from sweet Ken Levine. Most notably, the first two are being revamped – though 2K say Binfinite is pretty enough already. It is quite pretty, that’s true. Here, catch a few glimpses at the nice improved Rapture in this announcement trailer:

“The weapons, plasmids, levels, and character models that shocked you years ago have been reskinned and retextured to look better than ever,” according to today’s announcement.

It looks like another of those cases where games are being revamped primarily to bring them all fancy to a new console generation, and we get the improved versions on the side. Which, sure, peachy.

[Update: Folks who own the originals will get the updated versions free. 2K say, “if you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, and/or Minerva’s Den on Steam, you will be able to upgrade to the remastered version of the respective title(s) for free after release. It’s a circus of values!”]

So! What’s included? BioShock the first comes with the ‘Challenge Rooms’ and ‘Museum of Orphaned Concepts‘ DLC packs, which haven’t been on PC before. Challenge Rooms is, y’know, some challenge rooms but the Museum is an interesting one. It’s a space you can wander, peering at concept art and early models that didn’t make it into the final game – or not in their final form. Also included is the “never-before-seen” video series Director’s Commentary: Imagining BioShock, which has boss BioMan Ken Levine and animator Shawn Robertson.

BioShock 2 does not include the game’s multiplayer side, which wasn’t great but did have some nice ideas. It’s a shame they haven’t included your little multiplayer apartment hub in some way – especially when the Museum of Orphaned Concepts is right there in the other game. Anyway, what is included is the ‘Protector Trials’ combat challenges DLC and the excellent mini-campaign Minerva’s Den.

Then Binfinite comes with both parts of the Burial at Sea DLC, which returns to Rapture in a side-story, along with the ‘Clash in the Clouds’ DLC challenges and the ‘Columbia’s Finest Pack’ bundle of pre-order bonus upgrades and trinkets.

“BioShock Infinite is not being remastered on PC because it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings,” 2K say.

BioShock: The Collection is due in North America on September 13th, in Australia on September 15th, then elsewhere September 16th. Looks like it’ll be a full-price $59.99 dealio. I’d get all #nooceans but Binfinite teaches us quite clearly that there are always oceans, endless oceans.

I do like this artwork:

[Disclosure: I’ve been pally with some of the folks who made Minerva’s Den. To be honest, these days I’m a bit troubled by stories of e.g. hurling Steve Gaynor to the pavement in Leicester Square then sitting on him. I’ve calmed down a lot since then and the disconnect between selves is a bit weird.]

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Halk says:

Are physics still capped at 15 FPS, which looked ridiculous?
    Are the Vending Machines still silent in BioShock 2?
    Is the sound in Minervas Den on PC still messed up?

That’s all I want to know.

• ZIGS says:

There’s a mod for the original Bioshock that removes the physics cap. But yeah, if it’s still present in this “remaster”… I mean, that’d be the epitome of not giving a fuck

• gbrading says:

Yeah the silent vending machines in BioShock 2 bugged me. It would be nice if 2k offered a discount to people who already owned all of the original games, or even gave this away for free like Bethesda are doing for Skyrim + DLC owners for Skyrim Remastered, but perhaps I’m hoping for too much.

• Xocrates says:

Wait. The silent vending machines in Bioshock 2 were a bad thing?

I was so happy when playing BS2 and noticed that. Vending machines were so much less annoying.

• Jay Load says:

CHRIST, ^THIS.

Absolutely did my nut in playing the first game, that stupid bloody jingle that I must have heard over a thousand times by the end of the game. Silent machines in 2 were a ruddy blessing!

• epeternally says:

Agree. The reason that the silent vending machines bug was never fixed is that most people preferred it this way.

2. godunow says:

There is post on Bioshock product page on Steam containing the following:

“… if you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, and/or Minerva’s Den on Steam, you will be able to upgrade to the remastered version of the respective title(s) for free after release. It’s a circus of values! “

3. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Was just going to say that the respective remastered games will be free for those who have them on Steam. Which will be nice, I never actually played Minerva’s Den when I played Bioshock 2 and I’ve always been bummed about the lack of achievements for the first game. So I’ll probably replay them exactly the month I played them for the first time three years ago, minus Infinite, which I re-played to completion along with its DLC this April.

I’ve got to say that the graphics of the first two don’t look up to scratch with the Rapture visuals in Burial at Sea, so I’m not sure this isn’t called a remaster just to sell the trilogy to PS4 and XBone owners. I am looking forward to Levine’s director commentary on Bioshock and Infinite though.

4. Unsheep says:

I only liked BioShock 2, so I won’t be getting this one, however I will definitely watch a playthrough of these new versions.

Lars Westergren says:

Again thanks to RPS whose coverage of Bioshock 2 convinced me to give it a chance. The Lamb faction retcon and “Rapture is still flooding and burning 10 years later” is a bit offputting at first. But once I got over it, the level design, the voice acting, and the improved combat is just so good.

6. int says:

I would kindly replay the games.

7. golem09 says:

I really don’t care about improved graphics, but I’ve been holding out for this in case it finally fixes the horrible mouse acceleration and the sound issues of the first two games.
    Would you kindly do those things, 2k?

8. N'Al says:

Wot would be nice is if Bioshock The Revamp included the dual-wielding combat of Bioshock The Second. Not sure how much that would mess with the balancing, though.

9. w0bbl3r says:

So they aren’t changing infinite on PC at all?
    So it’s a “collection” which we on PC can’t get if we own the originals, unless we buy the whole thing?
    We get 1 and 2, but not infinite? How does that work if it’s a collection?

Lars Westergren says:

If you own Infinite, you already have the optimal version. If you own 1 or 2, you get the enhanced editions for free.

If you don’t own any, you can buy “The Collection” which has all three. Sounds like a good deal to me. Console owners will have to re-buy it.

10. TheMightyEthan says:

Too bad, I wish they’d at least fix the problem where the HUD is tiny at 4k.

Aitrus says:

But… Bioshock 1 is already gorgeous. I just played it some a couple months ago!

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

It’s true, art direction is way more important than polycounts and texture resolutions. But that’s not to say that sharper textures and more detailed models would take away from it, either.

12. noxohimoy says:

I crave new campaigns for Bioshock 1 or 2. Couldn’t care less for Infinite.

If it were on my power, I would spend the resources making new campaigns for those, and not on better textures or light effects.

13. Dave3d says:

Is it just me, or does everything look TOO clean?
    The original Bioshock had rust, streaks, grime, all that kind of stuff, in it, and it worked very well for the game it was.
    This video makes some things look too clean, and removes that whole greasy/grimey/falling apart/underwater feel.

Kudos to EA for making it free though to current users.
    I just hope we can switch back and forth between the different versions, like Metro 2033 had 2 seperate versions.

14. specops01 says:

It sucks that 2K didn’t say about bringing back the weapon system (i.e. you can have all the weapons) from Bioshock 1 and 2 into Bioshock Infinite. :(. Hopefully, they can put that feature in before the remastered collection comes out…

• TheMightyEthan says:

They said they’re not making any changes to Infinite.