Free Windows 10 Upgrades Will End Next Week

The war with the Windows 10 icon in the corner of everyone’s screen took a turn for the worse this week, when it began an apocalyptic countdown timer, administering one last threat to all remaining dissenters: join us now or be forever exiled to whatever version of Windows you were using before. With the resistance lacking any kind of coherent command structure, the icon seems to be upping its rhetoric. As we all know, the icon has been with us since before we can remember. We have always been at war with the icon.

The conflict with Microsoft’s upgrade notification has been dramatic. The icon snuck onto people’s desktops last summer. In September, innocent civilians discovered that their machines were downloading Windows 10 without even asking, eating up between 3.5GB and 6GB of hard drive space. By March this year, the operating system was even auto-installing itself on some people’s computers. The war was underway. Many, like me, joined the resistance and disabled the icon by uninstalling the precise update file that housed the enemy (the dreaded battle of KB3035583). But as our laptops were freed, so our PCs fell. Attempts to uninstall the update on my own desktop computer failed and the icon remained, ever-watchful.

Finally, in May, our Alec reported that Microsoft had decided to finally retract the icon along with the offer of a free install. On July 29th, a year since the operating system’s release, the war will end. But not without one last mega-pester. The icon now has… a warning symbol. Click to find out what this means and you get the countdown. So, for 7 more days from time of writing, you can still get Windows 10 for free. After that, you will have to pay $119, claims Microsoft. It is hard to see how the resistance will, er, resist this last offensive. Even I am preparing to jump ship. Because even after all this brouhaha, Windows 10 is reportedly one of the good ones. Then again, Microsoft might simply repeat the offer at some later time.

If you’re a fellow Windows 7 or 8 refugee, be sure to review the privacy options which have been reported as awful, and remember to back-up everything before the upgrade. I’m not sure if the new OS is still sharing users’ WiFi passwords, like an idiot, or if this has long ago been fixed. But if not you should probably disable that too.

If, on the other hand, you are remaining to fight the good fight, then good luck. The wall is going up, we may never see one another again. But take solace in the knowledge that soon you will be free of the icon and its dead, square eye in the dark glow of your screen, biding you, lulling you, whispering…

“Get Windows 10”

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I have been using Windows 10 for development purposes, and it is still awful. Slightly less so in some regards than 8, slightly moreso in others.

My gaming PC is still running Windows 7, and will continue to do so until there is a really good reason (read: an exclusive game I actually want) to upgrade.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

Dual boot FTW.

• Czrly says:

I’ve been using Windows 10 for over a year, for development, at first, and later on all my PCs. I really do not think it is awful. Windows 8 is awful. Vista is awful. Millennium Edition was indescribable! Windows 10 is quite competent.

In comparison to Windows 8: the upgrade is a no-brainer. Do it. It’s way better.

I still can’t say whether I like it more or less than Windows 7. After a year of hacking about, turning stuff like Cortana off and uninstalling the pre-installed Store apps with PowerShell, I have made peace with it but I still dream of a world where Microsoft simply gave the kernel and OS improvements to Windows 7 and added nothing more – leaving the desktop and app architecture as is.

Bottom line, however, is that Windows 10 really isn’t awful. It’s quite adequate and, professionally and personally, I think it’s pretty good. Hack it apart a bit (nothing new, here. We’ve all been doing that with Windows since the early days) to get rid of some unnecessary stuff and then enjoy the fairly slick, fairly solid operating system.

2. Rao Dao Zao says:

I’ve just had to migrate to Win10 at work, so far pretty unimpressed. General stability seems in question, purported core performance enhancements not particularly noticable, start menu a bit janky…

I’ll give it time to sink at work where things are safe; maybe it’ll get better or I’ll just get used to it… But I’m expecting Windows 7 to need to be prised from my cold dead hands at home. I have had to uninstall KB3035583 too many times. ;_;

3. TormDK says:

Works great – no issues on any machines in my household (4), or at work, plus it is the most used OS on Steam already.

So come join us, it’s good stuff.

• MadTinkerer says:

First Microsoft tried to turn my laptop into a smartphone with Win8. Then they tried to turn it into a wiretapped smartphone with Win10.

Windows 10 is primarily for the NSA and Government contractors, secondarily for Microsoft’s marketing partners, and only maybe thirdly for consumers.

• Strangeblades says:

Have you had any alien pods in your house lately? You might be one of THEM. ;)

• DarkFenix says:

Upgrade my machine to it yesterday, no complaints at all. Performance is better and frankly the change from 7 is barely noticable.

• Calculon says:

Just so you know what you’re dealing with with Win 10 in your house….

link to

Here’s a quick summary in case you dont want to click the link:

Yesterday France’s National Data Protection Commission (CNIL) slapped a formal order on Microsoft to comply with data protection laws after it found Windows 10 was collecting “excessive data” about users. The company has been given three months to meet the demands or it will face fines. Microsoft has now responded, saying it is happy to work with the CNIL to work towards an acceptable solution. Interestingly, while not denying the allegations set against it, the company does nothing to defend the amount of data collected by Windows 10, and also fails to address the privacy concerns it raises. Microsoft does address concerns about the transfer of data between Europe and the US, saying that while the Safe Harbor agreement is no longer valid, the company still complied with it up until the adoption of Privacy Shield. It’s interesting to see that Microsoft, in response to a series of complaints very clearly leveled at Windows 10, manages to mention the operating system only once. There is the promise of a statement about privacy next week, but for now we have Microsoft’s response to the CNIL’s order.

• Emeraude says:

On the one hand, I really respect the people working at the CNIL, on the other, their legal framework is well too often majorly improper given the realities of the businesses they’re facing.

Microsoft so far could be fined 150k€ at most for this.

Sometimes it looks like what I’ve seen all too often in third world countries debates, where you see people vigorously debating the minutiae, because they are in truth powerless to address the major points.

4. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I suppose I should upgrade before the offer ends, just to continue to get security updates if nothing else. I suppose. It just doesn’t excite me, and is a hassle. Bleh, basically.

• MadTinkerer says:

You don’t need Win10 to get security updates.

• Person of Interest says:

From what I’ve read online, you can 1) image your hard drive, 2) upgrade, 3) restore the image. That will keep you on Windows 7, but grant you what’s called a “digital entitlement” for Windows 10 that will let you upgrade again at a later date.

Unfortunately it seems like the Windows 10 upgrade is invalidated if you upgrade your PC’s motherboard, whether or not you use the upgrade-and-restore trick. So you have six days to finish that PC upgrade you’d been planning and then “hold your seat” for Win10.

5. geldonyetich says:

How dare Microsoft force upon me their free operating system.

They leave me no choice but to be forced to use Linux.

• MadTinkerer says:

You jest, but I’m dead serious.

• geldonyetich says:

Meh. Go for it, I say. The bottom line is Microsoft just doesn’t want to have to pay to support multiple OS, so they’re rolling it all into Windows 10. You either make the jump to Windows 10, make the jump to another OS, or accept that Microsoft has moved past your current OS and it’s just a matter of time before it won’t push your hardware anymore.

• MisterFurious says:

How dare Microsoft upgrade people’s OS without their consent costing some people hours and others days of work when it got deleted in the update that they didn’t ask for?

• Emeraude says:

Someone offering you a new tool is being nice. That same person doing the very same thing at gunpoint isn’t.

6. MadTinkerer says:

“Even I am preparing to jump ship. Because even after all this brouhaha, Windows 10 is reportedly one of the good ones.”

“If you’re a fellow Windows 7 or 8 refugee, be sure to review the privacy options which have been reported as awful,”

That’s the deal-breaker right there. That’s why my screen-saver says “Not Windows 10”.

After I get one of the latest Macs to test my game on, I will get a Linux box. After I test my game on the Linux box, I’ll think about maybe getting a Win10 machine to test it on that. Other than maybe the one machine to test my game to see if it works, I’ll never use Windows 10 for anything. I may even finally use Linux as my main OS, keeping the Win7 machines for the games which need them.

Also, I’m just saying, I am finally learning about microarchitechture and instruction set design. I wouldn’t create a whole new PC standard out of spite, just to rub it in Microsoft’s collective face. I’d do it because I’m really interested in doing it, and the spite would be the frosting on the cake.

• DanMan says:

I jumped ship to Ubuntu Gnome for my everyday needs, and I’ll keep Win7 around for the games that don’t run on Linux. The reboot is quick enough (maybe 30 sec).

I’d install Win10, but all the dodgy privacy stuff along with their shady business practices… I’m cautious.

Last but not least – I’ll build a new PC at the end of the year, and I’m not sure if I can transfer that Win10 license to the new one, so what’s the point of going through – maybe – a lot of hassle, just so I can use Win10 for a few months?

• valourfrog says:

Maybe you should look into MorphOS? It runs on PowerPC and is descended from the legendary AmigaOS, so it’s not an UNIX either. It even has a built-in 68k JIT compiler so you can keep up with Commodore :)

7. Kestrel says:

Yuck. I can’t stand using it at work. It still suffers from the poorly-stitched together UI of “Modern” and “traditional” apps. Why, for instance, am I forced into a Modern control panel interface by default, when the more functional and robust one still exists simultaneously? Why is the desktop’s wi-fi menu bigger and less functional than the one in Windows 7? Why do I have to “flick” away an image before I can access my lock screen?

I just want a coherent, functional OS, made by a focused design team. Windows 10 smacks of poor design, even if under the hood it’s better than its predecessors.

Heck, I’d run Chrome OS as my primary if it could run Steam and Adobe products.

• KDR_11k says:

Didn’t they start hiding the control panel behind a “simplified” view back in XP or something like that? It’s been ages since you got the regular view immediately…

• Kestrel says:

You may be right, though I don’t exactly know what you’re referring to. I’m talking about instances where I, say, right click the desktop to bring up display preferences, but instead am forced into this silly Modern UI that uses space less efficiently, and presents less information in the process.

Sometimes I’ll pop into a Modern without any apparent way of exiting back into regular Windows. I can alt-tab, but is that the only remedy? I still don’t know. This is supposed to be simpler and more intuitive, yet I wouldn’t dare put this OS in front of my parents.

• gwathdring says:

All you’ve had to do in the past is click “Show Icon View” and it remembers your preference. Some people find the holistic category view of the control panel easier to navigate intuitively but it is much slower and less efficient for people who know their way around the system pretty well (though typing into Search or Run in the start menu is probably the best option for people who know what they want really, really well), so it makes sense to have both as options and I’ve never really had an issue with this.

However from reading about and watching people use Windows 10 I’ve noticed that it has a lot of weird bifurcations in its settings where some stuff is in the metro-style interface and some stuff is in the more traditional interface and it doesn’t seem properly integrated. This started in Windows 8 and rather than remove the offending nonsense and creating two visual interfaces that access the same information so you can use whichever you prefer … they seem to have doubled-down on the insanity of two only partially overlapping systems and minimal ability to customize them.

• Mokinokaro says:

Sadly the only coherent OS you can find on a PC is OSX and even then it has a few weird quibbles.

Linux (ANY distro) is a patchwork of pieces all made by different people with different ideas.

Windows 10 still suffers from trying to be both a mobile and desktop OS (and also weird things caused by it still needing to be legacy compatible like the double control panel.)

8. Zunt says:

This may be common knowledge, but you can do a fresh install of Windows 10 and use your existing Windows 7 or 8 licence key to get the free upgrade. This avoids the issues that often occur when doing a Microsoft upgrade. You will have to back up everything, but you were going to do that anyway…

Like a poster above me I took the opportunity to migrate over to Linux and just have a small partition to run Win10 + games in. Snoop that, Mofosoft.

9. alsoran says:

W10 is being long term tested on a laptop and a tablet, both running happily. I’ve got two issues with it though, make that three. One its very nosey which I don’t really want it to be, two, it can update and mess up at any time which could ruin the stability and integrety of my system not to mention the contents of my machine. Three, it will probarbly go to a subscription model, so when the meter runs out, I can’t use my kit or access my files. All in all it does not look like I’ve got much control over my Home IT life anymore. (I’m still fizzing about the wifi sharing since I heard about it last year!)
    To mitigate the issues, I’ve got brand new copies of Win 7 and Win 8.1 full so I can continue to game on the Windoews platform for a while longer.
    I’m looking at alternatives beginning with the L word for long term IT enjoyment.

AutonomyLost says:

I upgraded from Windows 8, and have never regretted it; in fact, I very much enjoy 10. I merely use it for browsing and gaming, however, and thus have no insight to offer as to how poorly it may treat more intricate tasks.

On a tangent, I will be purchasing a new iMac this weekend and am quite looking forward to my first-ever experience with an Apple product that I myself own. I’ll be using it *strictly* for music recording and production, something that I’ve never exactly delved into deeply within the Windows platform.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I kind of lost momentum with Apple. I only owned macs for years and years, and 2 years ago I sold and bought a PC. The reason I used to love them was because of the tired “just works” cliche; the older OSes were so nice, and smooth, and a comfortable and well designed (and more importantly unified) user experience. A lot of that is still there, but the Jobsian philosophy of having just “one more thing” to bleat about at your keynotes every year has made the software a bit bloated. That and Apple’s desperate attempts to turn their OS into the wallgarden that iOS is built on.

With all of that said, Microsoft is by no means any better. Windows 10, despite running itself and software wonderfully fast compared to other OSes, is a horrible disjointed mess. But I can play more games and stuff, so I can live with it being a pain in the as.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I have an aging Mac and I’m somewhat in the same boat. I don’t really want to step into Windows 10 but MacOS has been steadily decreasing in user friendliness. I don’t really want to have either when I replace my computer.

11. fishlore says:

I’ll preface by saying I have nothing against Win10 in general. I too tried to stop Win10 from taking over my machine. I tend to wait on new Microsoft tech because it’s usually a train wreck for a while before the issues are sorted to a degree which comforts me.

So I come home one day, my laptop, asleep and closed when I left sounded like a jet airplane taking off when I walked into the room. I open the laptop to see what’s going on and the screen says 53%. Upon opening, the screen goes black for a second then comes back to say 53%. It stayed that way for a full day, my computer hung in the middle of the upgrade.

My computer was now a brick. Black screen with options to boot or repair where both options return an ugly error code. I am an indie game-dev and senior software developer. I probably had a thousand plus hours of work on my machine and I couldn’t access any of it.

Enraged, but not without hope, the next step was to take out the ssd, enclose it and see if anything could be recovered on another computer. NOPE!!! All of those hours of work, an FPS game 60% finished, source code for my Star Control knock off 2D multiplayer game, tens of customer websites, console apps, and desktop software suites all gone from the hard drive.

Thankfully I had the websites and desktop software suites in the cloud. My video games, my passion, years of my free time were not. All gone. It’s been a few weeks since this went down and I’m still enraged, still in shock at the amount of work it would take to get back to some semblance of where I was.

Thanks Microsoft . This was your doing. I would have upgraded when I was comfortable, but you forced this to happen against my will. You bricked my machine. You wasted years of my life. I hate you with every fiber of my being.

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I will preface my snark with this: I’m really sorry to hear that man. That’s a truly horrible thing to happen, I hope you find a way of getting some of your work back.

Now to the meat and potatoes: You spent years of your life working on something, on a COMPUTER, and didn’t back up your code? You absolute plonker. Even when I was recording music for myself when I was 17 (which was almost all shit), I still had the good sense to back it up every 3 months. I hope you’ve learned your lesson, young man!

• fishlore says:

Ha, a young man that just turned 40 years old and can’t use ignorance as an excuse. Yup, my FPS wasn’t backed up… big mistake on my part. I obviously take full responsibility for neglecting a backup on this. Of course, I’ve never had a company hijack my machine while it wasn’t on and try to install a whole new operating system two versions forward without my permission or knowledge and then have it fail catastrophically midway through. I learned a lesson alright. NEVER trust Microsoft technology and make backups after every line of code while in an MS environment from now on. Of course I’ll never buy anything from Microsoft ever again, but I digress.

• eldoran89 says:

If it is true i am sorry for you. But it doesnt sound like that. Cause with even a little knowledge about pc you should know that you can start a linux live system from cd or stick. Then its likely that you can acess your data even if thats impossible under windows. And if you cant that probably means your ssd is wrecked but it seems unlikly that the update is the direct cause and not merely a trigger. And well as hard as it is and i know that from experience but the magic word is redundancies or safe copy.

• horrorgasm says:

Sorry if you’ve already tried everything like this, but have you tried something like GetDataBack? I’ve gotten 90-100% of huge amounts of data back from hard drives that were dying from both software and hardware issues with it. (and eventually learned the lesson to start backing up EVERYTHING after almost losing everything the 3rd time or so…)

• fishlore says:

I wish I saw this before last weekend. I ended up having to drop and recreate a partition on my HD with the obvious reformat. I’ll jot down the name of that in case MS gets anymore funny ideas. Thanks.

• aliksy says:

You’re writing software and don’t use some sort of version control tool? That’s terrifying. Also I feel like a pun like “git good” would fit here nicely.

12. Darth Gangrel says:

When I tried to install Win 10 on my parents laptop running Win 7, it said “BIOS not supported” and that was that. It’s not like they use it much, but I’ve had no problems win Win 10 on my new PC, so I thought why not take advantage of the free offer while it lasts.

13. causticnl says:

Im amazed people can get that frustrated with just one icon.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Speaking for my GF here, but imagine that icon (and dialogue) popping up every few minutes while you’re trying to concentrate on a complicated spreadsheet, destroying your trail of thought and also changing the dialogue design every so often, just so you can’t get into a habit of clicking the close button (which in some designs wasn’t even there).

14. Turkey says:

I got a chuckle out of the passive aggressive: “Turn down free offer” button which replaced the “cancel” option in the last pestering.

15. noxohimoy says:

This is like a virus warning you that it will no more infect your computer tomorrow.

But you know is not true.

16. teedle says:

It doesn’t give you 64 bit when it upgrades does it?

17. gwathdring says:

Windows 10 installed itself on my mom’s machine while she was asleep but it installed itself improperly. Not only did she not want it, but the install was borked anyway. So I went over and tried to roll it back. The rollback feature didn’t work. I booted a livedisk, backed everything up and attempted some repairs. None of them seemed to work so I had to wipe the offending drive and reinstall Windows 8. It was tedious and frustrating but everything turned out OK. I know plenty of people either 1) had no issues with windows 10 installing properly and/or rolling back properly 2) genuinely like Windows 10 and think it is a better OS than Windows 8.

That doesn’t really matter. Software updates are always risky. There are always bugs. That Microsoft contrived to make it so you could accidentally install Windows 10 or have Windows 10 installed without even your accidental approval is apalling. My mom didn’t have time to back up her essential files and if I hadn’t been around to save them would have been well out of her depth or out a hundred or more dollars in tech support. This sort of predatory practice is simply unacceptable. Microsoft should know better and its almost a shame there’s a strict time limit on the free-upgrade harassment as otherwise I’m sure consumer regulators could get involved where as it stands I doubt that.

• Mokinokaro says:

It will NEVER go to a subscription model because there’d be huge legal issues about what happens when a subscription runs out.

The whole “subscription Windows” thing is FUD spread by Linux and Mac folks. It would make zero sense for Microsoft to go that route.

No, Windows 10 has the framework for them to add subscription apps to it (like Office 365) which for some people are actually better than buying boxed versions. THAT’S where Microsoft is making their money.

Windows money was always through selling it to computer manufacturers and no computer manufacturer is going to sell a computer with a subscription attached. It just makes zero sense and would cause companies to migrate away from Windows in droves.

• Mokinokaro says:

And that was a reply to the wrong comment. Thank’s RPS comment system.

• Hobbes says:

You say this, but here’s the thing. Windows 10 as is, will be free. But when the next major update rolls around… you can bet your life that they’ll make THAT the one you have to start your new Windows 365 subscription with.

It’s like drugs, the first hit is always free. Once they’ve got you hooked, then they can get you sucking dick for coke. Microsoft are not far off of the skeevy crack-house drug dealer in this instance, and Windows 10 is the STD laden hooker they’re pimping out (anyone out there who doesn’t feel dirty after using Windows 10 needs an intervention).

• Sirius1 says:

Adding to Hobbes’ response, MS have made no secret of their wish to go subscription with Windows. And from their point of view, you can see the appeal – it’s a consistent and constant money stream, no need to try to pry people off a previous version to make more money, everybody will be paying anyway.

On top of that, they can sit back and relax, not needing to try to come up with innovative new features to try to sell a new operating system, when many people will have no want or need for those features.

It makes perfect sense, and it fits with their prior rhetoric as regards the future of Windows. If you can give me any good reasons beyond MS avoiding the issue for it not happening, I’m all ears.

• Mokinokaro says:

Hobbes and you are completely ignoring the fact that a subscription model would actually not have benefits to Microsoft (he keeps comparing Windows to date rape so I can’t take him seriously at all.)

Microsoft has never made much money from end users buying Windows directly (it’s less than 5% of all Windows sales) and, as I said, a subscription model would be many many more headaches for both user and Microsoft (and legal issues for the latter since they can’t lock down your data if you don’t pay.)

There really is no benefit AT ALL for Microsoft to go a subscription route. What they’re far more likely to do is make addon feature packs that cost money.

• Mokinokaro says:

Also, the BIG one: most of Microsoft’s money comes from corporations. Corporations aren’t going to accept a subscription model (it’s one of the reasons why there’s both a subscription and a single purchase version of office still) and personal users are too small of a slice of the overall pie for them to make both a subscription and a non-subscription version.

Enterprise Windows 10 is different than the home user version, but nowhere near as drastically as that would be.

18. GnarTheDestroyer says:

I’ve been using windows 10 for about a year now with minimal complaints. I understand it does have issues for some people and that some of these issues can be pretty serious but I haven’t encountered any. The biggest problem I’ve had with it was that the control panel was unnecessarily difficult to access, but that was easily fixed by pinning a shortcut to the start menu. I should note however that due to the loss of my previous computer(s) and other money related reasons, my only other option was the pre-installed windows 8, which was AWFUL.

The biggest problem I had with windows 10 was how accepting the “upgrade” felt more like I was giving up than choosing to do so. But given my alternative I’m happy reasonably content with my choice.

yhancik says:

You can right-click on the Start button and access the Control Panel directly. This contextual menu makes a lot of things more bearable in Windows 10 (and 8)

19. King_Rocket says:

I made the switch, mainly for the VR efficiencies. With classic shell it’s pretty much like using Win7. So I neither love it nor hate it it just feels like more windows. (in a good way)

Serrit says:

Enjoyed the framing of this,

the dreaded battle of KB3035583

in particular sounded like something out of EVE :-)

21. Biggus_Dikkus says:

i hate puppies anyway

22. Pogs says:

Oh how naive of you all to think the Icon War will end on the 29. It will never end. The totally not evil Mega-Corp Microsoft will claim the upgrade process so far to be a massive successive and that they are extending the assimilation process so others may still share in the joy that is Windows 10. No doubt the current icon will most like be replaced with another more fitting red and baleful flaming eye icon that watches you in your sleep.

• Emeraude says:

Alternatively, *nothing* will change on the aggressive, invasive marketing/advertising front, MS will just ask you to pay on top of it all if you finally cave in.

23. harley9699 says:

Stupid question alert: Upgrade to 10 does wipe and reformat the drive, right?

• mukuste says:

No. It really just upgrades your OS, all the files and software stays.

• malkav11 says:

It doesn’t format the drive, no. As I found out when I upgraded my laptop, it may well uninstall things without asking, though. (In this case, an elderly MUCK client which runs fine on 10 with a little tweaking, although I’ve since switched laptops and client, both.)

24. malkav11 says:

I’ve been bemused by the whole Windows 10 kerfuffle. Is Microsoft doing some shady stuff? Sure. Is Windows 10 a godawful user-hostile nightmare of an OS? Sure. But…why is this suddenly news? Windows has been a godawful user-hostile nightmare of an OS since 3.1 at least. It’s just, sadly, the one all the games get written for. Microsoft has been doing shady stuff for decades. Neither of these things seem more true with this particular OS revision, and while it has a few new terrible design decisions as usual, it also has a few places where it’s better and more usable, also as usual. And unlike previous revisions, Microsoft hasn’t had the gall to actually charge you for it. So why the uproar? I don’t get it.

• ersetzen says:

I mean, not that I totally disagree but which OS do you think is better for end users? Freaking MacOS? Or linux where I had to merge forked versions and somehow make it compile to stop the official printer driver from segfaulting, all just to print one page?

• malkav11 says:

Currently? No idea. I haven’t used anything but Windows since like…2006, maybe? I would certainly agree that Linux was much less usable last time I tried it. Back as of 10.0 through 10.4 I thought Mac OS X was far better, but I’ve not used it since then and lord knows the way iOS is designed doesn’t fill me with confidence. That said…even if there’s not a better alternative on the market, that doesn’t make Windows not awful.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

Can’t really blame Linux for a borked driver from your printer’s manufacturer, can you?
        Conversely, my EPSON printer has stopped being able to talk to my GFs Win8 installation and its official driver, whereas it’s still working perfectly using the automatically installed driver on my Ubuntu Linux machine. In fact, to print, she now has to use the Google Cloud Print functionality in Chrome, which sends it through my machine.

25. VidarP says:

Windows 10 is great, best windows IMO. I have zero problems, 4 computers here at home, lots at work, again no problems. Highly recomended!

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

So what was your last payment for working 11 hours a week online from home?

26. King in Winter says:

Windows 10 updater shenanigans is the reason why I haven’t ran windows update on my Win7 for about a year.

• Person of Interest says:

Be aware that, in that time, Microsoft has released dozens of security patches for Windows 7 to fix vulnerabilities that allow, up to and including, remote code execution with system level privileges (in other words, the potential for complete takeover) triggered by something as simple as viewing a hacked website, document, or image.

I’m disappointed that Microsoft destroyed trust in its update mechanism, just as I was finally starting to apply updates blindly. Now I’m back to carefully scrutinizing their release notes and googling each KB code for discussions about trojan updates containing telemetry and such. It’s a waste of time and undoes a lot of the convenience of sticking with Windows.

• Mokinokaro says:

Install something like Never10 and continue updating without problems.

You should get the security patches. The less potential botnets out there the better.

27. Lupa says:

I’m surprised no ones commented on the way Brendan’s done this post. I laughed my ASS off. Fantastic :)

On topic though. I lost the fight ;c But I will be reformatting and never touching it again. Its unnecessary, and I’ve had quite a bit of issues with it. Nothing major, but I just don’t feel its worth it.

28. Press X to Gary Busey says:

I upgraded on day 1 and no issues so far, though I dual boot Ubuntu for most non-gaming.
    The obsolescence clock is ticking for driver support, patches and DirectX-whatever and we’ll be forced to upgrade in a couple of years anyway.

As for the spying – I use a mobile phone, browse the internet, use Paypal, Google, webmail, Skype, Dropbox, Steam and various other on-demand streaming and cloud services, I often buy goods online, I never pay cash in stores and always use loyalty program cards when shopping groceries.

The privacy war is long since over and the Big Data Brothers won (although they’re thankfully wildly incompetent).

• shocked says:

> The privacy war is long since over

No, it’s not.

It’s possible to not use a smartphone, life goes on without one. One can use a browser that is configured to only leave minimal data in the internet. We have operating systems that do not track it’s users. It’s a free decision where to buy stuff and how to pay. Of course we all produce data, but we also have the means to keep the amount of data as minimal as possible. And the fact that there is next to no privacy on smartphones can not be the reason to “be ok” with it on your operating system.

If people would care governments would react as for example France does at the moment in regards to Win10.

The war on privacy is not over, a lot of people try to only share as much data as is really needed. If you think it is over, it probably means you simply don’t care.

• Mokinokaro says:

MacOS does do some user tracking to a lesser extent. Especially if you’re using iTunes or their store.

And Linux? Well with Linux just be extremely careful with what you install and run because a few distros have been caught sneaking in snooping programs like Amazon’s search.

You CAN turn off most of it in Windows 10 just by disabling Cortana, but I understand the privacy issues.

• Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

A few? That was one version of Ubuntu Linux and it has since been removed. Also, it only sent in text to Amazon that you searched for in the Dash of the Unity interface (which was meant to function as a general internet and local machine search framework). It also didn’t send in any other information about your machine or your personal details and didn’t intercept any other means of typing text or searching on your computer or browser.
          Honestly, I never quite got the fuzz about that setting; the first time I saw an Amazon search result in the Dash (which was on my first run after upgrading), I disabled the setting, problem solved. Yeah, Amazon now knows that someone, somewhere searched for “Chrome” – hardly an invasion of privacy.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

True. I lost and gave up. I stopped caring about the privacy/convenience trade-off. I’ve accepted that I’m just another +1 in some of the Big Data statistic variables and I can live with getting offered personally tailored ignorable ads and ignorable store offers. If they’re breaking the law and collect data outside what’s allowed it’s another thing entirely and they deserve the whip cracking.

I live in a western democracy and insurgency or political/religious extremism isn’t really my thing and (the (in)competent) Big Databrother serves the taxpayer/voter/customer in the end.
        And if it’s a foreign oppressive police state disliking my Amazon purchases I couldn’t care less.

29. banana says:

Win10 is okay, I’m running it for quite a while now.

I just want to recommended two things, which were vital for me:

Use “ShutUp10” (you’ll be surprised how many toggles you can’t access), and “Start10” (to get a nice Win7-style Start Menu. The Win10 default one is ABYSMAL).

Those two do the trick!

… I hope someone reads this.

basilisk says:

Oh, wow. The negativity in this comment section is overwhelming.

Yeah, they’re being far too aggressive about it. But a free upgrade is a good deal, W10 is a fine system and frankly, if you aren’t regularly backing up your data, it’s your fault.

Any normal person without an agenda reading this, do a backup, run the upgrade, if you won’t like it, you can always roll back. And you’ll get a free legal W10 key out of it for future-proofing purposes. It’s silly to miss a pretty nice deal because of rampant (and in the vast majority of cases unfounded) fear-mongering.

• DanMan says:

You can’t even 100% cleanly uninstall single programs in Windows. You want to tell me it can do that with the whole OS? I don’t believe it.

• shocked says:

Win10 is not a “free upgrade”, it’s a different operating system that comes with a new EULA that you have to agree to if you want to use it.

Even if all the privacy concerns weren’t justified (which they definitely are) for Win10 you basically have to give the right to Microsoft to install and remove software on your PC like they want to. If they want to install a new mediaplayer, a windows store app, a system tool, some adware or whatever else they will do that and you can’t do anything about it, because if you don’t allow these updates you won’t get any security updates anymore either.

Win10 also removes programs without asking.

Also many people had major problems with Win10 they didn’t have before. Countless hours were spent fixing systems after that “free upgrade” installed itself onto their PCs and of course people aren’t happy about that.

If you’re ok with that, fine. But a lot of people don’t see the “good deal” in all that and their criticisms about Win10 are absolutely justified.

31. Carra says:

My sister called me yesterday: “I updated to windows 10 and now I cannot connect to the internet”. Had to drive over to her to fix it. Turns out that there was no Windows 10 driver for her dongle. Everything worked fine after fixing that.

Upgraded my own pc half a year ago without any problems though.

32. SomeDuder says:

In all honesty… It’s fine. I mean, there was nothing wrong with Windows 7, other than that it’s been getting on in years, but 10, after fucking around with Powershell to get rid of the default crap and configuring the horrible Start menu, is workable.

It’s definately a performance boost, strangely enough.

Some quirks remain (You HAVE to activate your Windows Firewall service to allow Windows Update to function, the Start menu’s more obscure now, Control Panel is hidden), but it’s by no means a remade Windows 8, praise be to the Lord of the Flies.

• malkav11 says:

Even Windows 8 wasn’t particularly bad (by the standards of other Windows iterations, anyway) once you got it to default to desktop mode and ignored Metro apps completely. I think the former option was only added as of 8.1, admittedly, but that’s when I switched. It had the standard “why do you keep pushing this bullshit?” stuff, but it was also nicer in a few key ways. Like a more informative and controllable Task Manager.

33. Mokinokaro says:

Oh, and the Wifi password sharing is definitely fixed. Microsoft patched the feature out completely back in May.

34. baekhesten says:

My problem with Windows 10 is that I honestly can’t see any reason to upgrade. My Windows 7 laptop works fine; ironically, the only problems I’ve ever had with it were when Microsoft automatically updated and nearly bricked it. (Oh… and the one time I dropped it on the tile floor and had to replace the hard drive, but that was probably not Win7’s fault.)

What, actually, is improved in Win10? Speed? Security? I’m content with the speed my computer functions at right now. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a virus problem on this computer; whether that’s because I have a good antivirus software or good browsing habits I don’t know, but I’m not exactly cowering in fear over here, desperate for the protection of Win10.

It just seems like I would have to relearn and adapt to a new UI (no small task when you’re autistic and have ADHD, let me tell you) for a performance upgrade I probably wouldn’t even notice, that wouldn’t actually improve my productivity or use of the computer at all. So, sure, it’s a good deal, except it doesn’t seem to actually benefit me enough to justify the hassle it causes.

Also, the Win10 update manager almost gave me a panic attack the other day because it literally turned my entire screen blue and popped up a passive aggressive message about how I hadn’t updated to Win10 yet. If that’s going to be a common feature of the Win10 operating system, I’d rather live without the stress.

35. hpoonis says:

I performed an upgrade last year. Just before I did I specifically purchased a Win7 Pro licence (got a 4-pack of Win7 for 40Euro) so that the update would give me a Win10 Pro upgrade. The laptop booted but not much more than that, although I was presented with an option to rollback. Various fiddling about with it failed to resolve the problem so I decided to go back to Win7. The rollback did not roll…neither back nor forward. I had to re-install. Now, I would have persevered but for the fact that I did NOT want enforced updates, I did NOT want the shitty UI and I certainly did NOT want zero control over what data I can block microspasm from sucking up. I notice that when you want to power off/reboot, yoiu first click in one corner then move all the way to the diagonally-opposite corner to complete that operation. Seems like disastrous designing to me.

I decided to pay the utmost attention to any updates I get for Win7 as those wankers at microspasm are continually sneaking in anything and everything that indicates a win10 product. Even though I hid/removed the standard KB item that is referenced, I am continually seeing updates that check the status of a win10 position. F*ck that for a laugh!

Given the amount of mobile vs desktop web-coding out there, I cannot understand why microspasm could not use some code to determine the platform that Win10 is installed on. I say this from the standpoint that I do not feel that Win10 needs to be trcaking location of my PC which does nowhere: it sits in my apartment. Therefore its location is irrelevant. I think most game-types might feel the same: it is the gaming beast and doesn’t require tracking, tailored downloads, unwanted advertising, enforced updates, or, and this happens on my PC anyway thanks to shitty Adobe, tablet/touch screen/un-necessary software running. Mind you, having said that, I had a phone with Cyanogenmod on it and was alarmed at how often google wants to know where you are: 10-12 times per minute. Most of the time the phone has location turned off. After all, I know where I am at any given time.

I run Win10 in a virtual machine and, frankly, am only doing so just for the experience. I rarely run it up as I have no need for it. I shall stick with Win7 as long as is humanly possible.

In 2003 I was still running Win98, ran XP up to SP1 of Win7. I despise the Win8/8.1/10 desktop. It is designed specifically for munters who prefer dealing with fartbook than Witcher3 – I have this tendency to trivialise ugly organisations by refusing to use their name or capitals. In all honesty, I have never enjoyed using msdos/mswindows, having been weaned on UNIX. I still find it disappointing that the gaming industry is not helping to broaden the playing field with more UNIX titles. I applaud Valve for providing some semblance of multi-platform sanity but, if I could move away from mswindows tomorrow and still enjoy the same entertainments I would.

I see the only thing that would break this cycle of ever-decreasing choice would be microspasm themselves if they ever had decided to port Office to UNIX-like. Businesses would have leaped at the chance to get their productivity running on a cheaper, more efficient OS. The problem is now moot as having cloud-based applications is the way things are (mostly) heading.

As a parting shot:

Aside from the fact that, originally, Gates declared the farcical memory statement, “who needs more than 640k?” (paraphrased), microspasm, once they realised that online was not just for technogeeks, decided to start placing drivers online for people to download. I recall that their ftp site was a complete f*ckup in that EVERY SINGLE FILE was in one directory, referenced by the ubiquitous 00_index.txt at the head of the list. More than 16000 files in one directory! Accessing this over a shared 64k line was a frikkin nightmare.

microspasm also are firm believers that people are idiots and need hand-holding. Mass USB has been replaced with MTP because microspasm feel that people should only have exclusive access to mobile devices when trying to sync tunes to/from PC. As a result, I have never had a single, successful synchronisation even though I am 3 more mobile devices down the line since the first attempt. I feel let down that android decided to adopt this shitty methodology. I have tried as many different audio players/tools as I can find but every single one relies on MTP now. MTP relies on windows media codecs somewhere in there so microspasm media player needs to be lurking on one’s system even though I never use it.

I guess, in the end, it comes down to this: microspasm, apple, and governments are determined to reduce and eventually remove any choice we have and that kind of thinking and function will always strike a raw nerve. I will quite happily take the personal high ground and shoot myself in the foot if it allows me more freedom of choice.

• hpoonis says:

*sigh* RPS still has no ‘edit’ function. That is very, very slack after all these years!

broshingo says:

I bit the bullet when I heard that Sea of Thieves will be Windows 10 exclusive on PC. Nicely played, whoever made that deal.