BioShock Original And Remastered Graphics Comparison

So I can’t play the original BioShock because I can’t deal with injections at all. I played Binfinite, though, and that was better, although I think some of the DLC is perhaps not my cup of tea in terms of icky moments. That’s why I’m now watching the BioShock: The Collection Remastered [official site] trailer through my fingers, ready to cover my eyes at any moment should a needle make a sudden appearance:

Okay, I’ve made it! No needles, but a bunch of gore if that bothers you? Although I’ve sort of given up trying to guess what bothers people ever since I posted a picture of a delightful crab in chat and John freaked out.

Anyway! If you were unsure about what this collection actually is, it’s basically a multi-game package where you get BioShock, BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite and their single-player DLC. They’re also fancying up/remastering the first two for PC. Binfinite is getting prettied up for console but the PC version is already at that level when you put it on high settings so they’re leaving it be.

The trailer with the visual comparisons shows high-res textures, water effects, environmental detailing, improved squid tentacles, additional jellyfish, LOTS OF SEAWEED – that sort of thing. So I guess it’s like Ayn Rand meets Blue Planet. Ayn Rand Goes To Sea World?

It’ll be out on 16 September if you’re interested. I’ll be on holiday at that point, not watching people get stabbed with needles (unless something goes horribly wrong). If you already own the games you’ll actually get these updated versions free of charge. As per our original news story on the package, 2K say, “if you already own BioShock, BioShock 2, and/or Minerva’s Den on Steam, you will be able to upgrade to the remastered version of the respective title(s) for free after release.”

From this site

1. ohminus says:

Good thing you get the remastered versions for free and per game… Infinite burned me so hard… I bought the Seasons Pass impressed by the beginning and was so pissed at the latter two halves of the game that I have yet to touch the DLC. I would have passed on having to buy the game yet again in a collection to get the remastered titles.

• TheRaptorFence says:

You might find that the Burial at Sea DLC wraps up the story a lot more poetically, and the second part features much better gameplay than in the rest of the Bioshock series. I’d say it’s worth a go.

• Andrew says:

It’s same problematic writing that was in original B:I on top of a same(ish) mediocre gameplay. So, no, if you don’t like the game, skip DLC too.

• Sardonic says:

I disagree with the notion that the Burial at Sea was the ‘same’ problematic writing as Bioshock Infinite. Burial at Sea, particularly Burial at Sea part 2’s writing was off the charts problematic, and terrible in general. If you’re a fan of any of the bioshock games, stay the hell away from burial at sea 2. I wish somebody would do a really in-depth analysis on it, because lord is it offensive.

• Andrew says:

“Same” as in ”as bad as”. Maybe more bad, maybe less, it’s hard to compare full game with DLC. But, yeah, overall I agree.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Burial at Sea pt 2: “You guys liked Bioshock 1, right??? Also here’s a first-person torture sequence for literally no reason.”

I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed by a piece of DLC.

• Andrew says:

@JakeOfRavenclaw If we going to spoiler-town… It was more like “Hey, do you like this female character we created? You can play as her! Isn’t it cool! But we gonna rape her at the end. What? Not cool?! We don’t know what you want from us, then. Let’s fire the whole company for mistakes of few. Bye.”

But also what you said.

• Distec says:

Everything uncomfortable is rape, because that’s how the internet works.

Jesus.

• Andrew says:

@Distec Google new “Ghostbusters” and MRA, and you gonna find “they raped my childhood” very quickly. And that’s not how anything works.

(Don’t actually google it!)

But physical assault and harassment towards female character by male characters in a game created by predominantly male developers? As close as it gets, without actual penetration. You can disagree with the word, but if you don’t see any problem there…

For the look at how everything (from female characters that kick ass, to father-daughter relationship, to portrayal of people of color, to even friggin cover art), see “The Last of Us”, released same year.

• Dave3d says:

I am with you Ohminus.
      I liked the first part of Infinite, but got SO bored after not very long. It was like the exact same thing over and over and over.
      Also, I dont think Bioshock 1 should get a remake, because the original FELT like that was all that was needed. It ‘fit’ with the world (the sparseness in the ocean, and all of that). The above video seemed too much like ‘Hey, lets try to make it like Infinite so people forget what a great game 1 was!’ type of thing, like the Metro ‘remasters’ did. I dont know, I still play 1 amd it is just fine and dandy for me. The game really ‘sets’ the mood. Adding more ‘stuff’ and better lighting and everthing seems to make it look ‘cleaner’ to me, and not of a world falling apart.
      Just my opine.

2. Meat Circus says:

They… adjusted the contrast slightly?

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Yeah, I would have believed you if you told me this trailer was for a DX injector. Before and After SweetFX, for example.

phuzz says:

They recorded the new stuff at a higher resolution as well, or at least that’s the only thing I noticed.

3. Kamikaze-X says:

I’m honestly struggling to see what the changes are in the remastered shots.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Lol, I almosy always say that to myself as well when it comes to remasters or HD versions: “Uhh, what’s the difference?”.

I recently played through Bioshock 1 and don’t think it looks old/bad enough that it needs a remaster.

• welverin says:

Of course it is, it was released on the last generation of consoles and now they can resell t on the new consoles.

4. RaoulDuke says:

Bioshock…ingly disappointing!

Seriously though, what is different apart from a higher screen resolution/ and better/less post-processing AA? I saw some model/texture changes on the wallet, but not much else of note.

Its like showing a game from 2007 on a 2016 PC and saying look its better now! Just because the hardware can run it at a higher resolution, wtf. By that rationale, I “remastered” Dead Space 2 by playing it in 4K on my 970.

• ComicSansMS says:

IIRC Bioshocks 1&2 did not have proper AA support by themselves.

If they fix that alone, that would probably be the biggest improvement on a modern machine. Other than that, I agree, the improvements seem rather subtle. Well, it’s free, so as long as they don’t make it look worse, I’m fine with it.

5. Frog says:

Boy, I agree hard to see any substantial changes. I’m glad it’s free.

6. RaoulDuke says:

Whats the consensus from RPS-goers on Binfinite? I booted it up for an hour and hated the combat [As I thought I would from preview videos, so nothing surprising] and never went back to it after I read that the ending was ME3 level of choice/input and as “ohminus” said above, the latter half was different/a let-down and it either didn’t commit to the racial equality themes enough, or too much?

I got on well with BS2, did most everything in it 100%, except the other ending, BS1 I stopped at after the “mid-point reveal” and never went back to it for some reason.

Was the main “bad” thing that the time-dimensional-travel was completely scripted and not dynamic like was implied in the early trailers?

Fill me up with opinion-y goodness please.

• TheRaptorFence says:

Depends on exactly what your expectations are going in for the story. Bioshock has never been great gameplay-wise, so I went in with the idea that gameplay would be average at best. I expected a fairly linear story-such as the original Bioshock- and some twists on top of a socio-political commentary. The only place it didn’t deliver was on the commentary, which sort of fell apart by the second half of the game.

As I said above to ohminus, Binfinite improves by leaps and bounds when tied to the Burial at Sea DLCs, particularly the second one. Combat and movement is more fluid, going back to Rapture really is a trip, and it ties the Bioshock arcs together meaningfully without sacrificing on the Sophoclean tragedy.

But the second half of Binfinite up to the last 30 minutes…God, that was a struggle.

• JakeOfRavenclaw says:

I’m a little confused by that ME3 comparison–Binfinite doesn’t feature any kind of choice and consequence at all; it’s a linear story with a fixed ending, so if you’re expecting something else you’ll be disappointed (also–and I’m trying to figure out how to say this without spoiling anything, but if you’re ultra-sensitive to that kind of thing maybe skip this next sentence–as in Bioshock 1, the extent to which your choices don’t necessarily matter is very much a part of the plot. Whether this is clever or stupid is up to you).

Personally, Infinite is a game I really love in spite of its many flaws. It’s much more limited than what the early trailers promised, and its themes of racism and classism largely get abandoned in favor of the sci-fi story it actually wants to tell, and the design of Columbia never quite makes sense in the way that Rapture did, and some of the supporting characters (Fink, Fitzroy, etc) are painfully underdeveloped. I love it anyway. Its good moments (many of which come late in the campaign) are so extraordinarily good, the visuals and voice acting are superb throughout, and the story has stuck with me in a way that very few other games have ever matched. But that’s the thing: maybe you’ll hate the story! I dunno. All I can really tell you is that I think that Infinite is emblematic of AAA gaming, in all its excess and triumphs and failures, and that it means a lot to me. I’d recommend it.

But then, apparently in contrast to other people here, I though that Burial at Sea was terrible. So who fucking knows.

• Andrew says:

Don’t care about what they promised vs. what they delivered, personally. But, short version:

Problematic portrayal of people of color. Handwavy main plot with holes all over. Mediocre gameplay with bioshocky stuff bolted on for no apparent reason. Ellie from “The Last of Us” better than Elizabeth as a character, without any of the super AI stuff Irrational were so proud of.

• fearandloathing says:

It’s unbelievable how much hate Infinite’s story gets. Per videogame standards, the story was decent, and the way it was narrated was very, very good. If there is a game that can make the case for importance of “game directors” (as in cinema), this is it, especially among AAA games. Maybe witcher has a similar punch, but only if you read all the books. I mean face it people, in pc a good story almost always came with a wall of text, and most of them are revered only thanks to nostalgia.
      That aside, I always liked plasmids so wasn’t terribly bothered with gameplay, it’s probably weakest of the series though.

• ohminus says:

The story to me has two major problems: First, it gives a shit about itself. Five minutes after finding out that when you go through a rift, you’re not just changing the tiny bits and pieces you want to see changed, but rather can fuck things up really profoundly, the protagonists stand in front of all the stuff they were asked by the Vox Populi to get for them and realize they can’t possibly haul it back to the VP by themselves. Now, do they tell the VP “Hey, we found and secured the stuff, send a bunch of folks with us to get it and it’s yours”? No, they decide that they’re at an impasse and have to go through a rift to a reality where the stuff isn’t there just for the heck of it. They have no idea what else is different on the other side, but hey, no risk no fun, right?

The second is the issue of the ending, not just in respect to social commentary, but that, too. Where the first game illustrated the self-defeating nature of the ideology behind Rapture (Not only were its society and its creator devoured by their own creation, but the guy who brought the downfall about was himself brought down by the “weapon” he created in the PC) Infinite obviates any need to consider any aspect of its social commentary altogether, because at the end of the game, not taking into account the DLC, none of it ever happened. It’s gone, wiped from history. And with it everything you did during the hours you played the game. None of it happened. Hello? Whoever thought that basically erasing any achievements you made during the game is a bright idea?

• liquidsoap89 says:

I liked the story, even despite the game bugging out and only showing me half of the ending (not the crazy half).

As with all the other Bioshocks though, it’s far too long. There are entire sections of the game (hello revolution) that could be removed, and nothing would have changed.

• criskywalker says:

It’s an OK story by videogame standards, but it’s brought down by the gameplay focus on shooty bits instead of exploration. I guess it’s like a good Twilight Zone episode, but not as good as Bioshock 1.

• Ashabel says:

The great thing about Booker is that he actually makes sense as a FPS protagonist. Where most action leads awkwardly shift between weeping about morality and philosophy one second, then slaughtering dozens of people by the minute (just look at Tomb Raider), Booker is legitimately a terrible enough person to commit to that sort of bloodthirst. His justification of his actions heavily comes down to circular logic and blaming the circumstances, to the point where it eventually becomes clear that he knows he’s an awful person but doesn’t really try to do anything about it.

Elizabeth is a blatant pastiche of every female lead with special powers from AAA video games. There is a scene where she leans against the wall and pronounces “I’m a girl who can bring dead people to life and whose only friend is a giant robot bird. I must look ridiculous.” in exasperation, not realizing that she’s describing pretty much every female lead in AAA games ever.

There is a scene later into the game that gets heavily criticized for its racist undertones, in that a black NPC suddenly completely breaks character and does something horrible, which prompts Elizabeth to kill her. Burial at Sea follows up to that scene with another one where said NPC is talked into doing that horrible thing by someone else under the premise that “Elizabeth needs to be traumatized that way in order to sufficiently grow into a mindset that will help her end the entire conflict”. A lot of people found that scene to be senseless, but I found it curious because it reflects the mindset of an average AAA writer and how they often associate character growth with post-traumatic epiphany caused by someone dying senselessly and horribly.

I do agree that the minute writing of the game isn’t very good and that the game is one giant plot-hole when parsed as a serious sci-fi story. I still think that its stilted dialogue only adds charm to its purpose, which is basically Ken Levine making fun of every stupid narrative trope in AAA gaming.

• Andrew says:

So, you saying, that it’s bad, but on purpose? Sure, maybe, dunno. But it’s still bad.

• Ashabel says:

I’m pretty sure I said it’s good as far as its genre goes, which just happens to not be the genre everyone seems to have expected from it.

I also said it’s silly to have expected for Levine to write serious sci-fi in a series he always used as a personal soapbox.

• Andrew says:

Okay, but you listing all the “problems” (you don’t call them that, yes, but I do) in a context of a “Ken Levine ranting about narrative and writing quality in AAA video games”.

You can’t just put bad protagonist, bad sidekick, bad story, etc. and call it “criticism” (“rant”, in your words). Doesn’t work. The product is still bad (again, in my opinion).

And even if you don’t expect something to be good doesn’t mean you have to praise it for not being awful. You expect next game to be better than the previous, not the other way around.

And I don’t care about soapboxes. Everyone has an agenda. Everything is political.

• Ashabel says:

Booker being a terrible person doesn’t make him either a bad protagonist or a bad character. In fact, it makes him a better and more coherent character than the vast majority of modern AAA protagonists, who are somehow supposed to be good and sensitive people despite being mass murderers.

Similarly, Elizabeth recognizing the ridiculousness of her situation doesn’t make her a bad character. Neither does lampshading an atrocious narrative trope make a story bad.

Frankly, this conversation has far too many words being put in my mouth for me to consider it an argument, or to be in any way comfortable with it.

• Andrew says:

@Ashabel I don’t put any words in your mouth. At least, I’m not trying to. I apologize if it looks that way.

Again, your words: “It instantly comes together when you read it in that context.” My words: no it doesn’t. Key word here, your word: “lampshading”. You saying that everything in a game for specific reason, as “rant”, right? But – and I’m not gonna argue about specifics, I don’t care that much, – I’m saying that’s not a get out of jail free card. You need to do something with the subject you working with. What, exactly? I don’t know, I’m not a writer. I actually don’t know if there are any good games about racism, but I know BI isn’t one of them. I know there are good games about good female characters/sidekicks, but BI isn’t one of them. There are good games with good sci-fi stories, but BI isn’t one of them. There are good games with lampshading and winks to the audience, and fourth wall breaking, and commentary about stupid things in games we all accept, and all that stuff, that still are good games, but BI isn’t one of them. Etc. Etc. That’s all I know.

In other words, I’m not arguing about is Booker a good protagonist or not. I’m arguing that looking at this game differently (as a “rant”) doesn’t make a difference. For me, at least.

• Ashabel says:

@Andrew At the very least, your responses felt like your reading of my words was colored by your dislike of the game to a degree where what you’ve been supplanting them with your preferred opinions on the matter.

I do agree that the game being a pastiche or a parody should never give it a get out of jail free card in terms of quality. My point is that the values by which quality is gauged are different depending on the genre. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean is a terrible period piece movie but a very good action comedy. In the same sense, Bioshock Infinite is a terrible sci-fi story but a decent pastiche of AAA video games.

I was mostly commenting on the sheer number of people who sincerely expected Infinite to be hard science fiction and exploration of alternate history when neither Bioshock nor Bioshock 2 were that. It felt like too many people expected the franchise to switch genres halfway.

I do agree that Bioshock Infinite is not a very good game about racism, but I also doubt that it was ever about racism on anything more than a surface level. I do strongly disagree about Elizabeth being a bad sidekick or character. She is a rare case of a character who makes all my female friends (and me as well) happy just by existing, so obviously her quality is a matter of preference.

• ohminus says:

“My opinion is that way too many people expect Infinite to be some sort of cohesive story, either hard sci-fi or some other genre. Bioshock has always been Ken Levine’s soapbox for ranting about philosophy and politics, so seeing people so offended by Infinite not bothering to cover its plotholes because it was too busy ranting about something is really weird.”

No, what is weird is recognizing that Ken Levine used the series to rant about philosophy and politics and then not recognizing that Infinite is an utter abortion in that aspect, not the least due to its ending wiping the whole story from existence.

“That said, Bioshock Infinite is Ken Levine ranting about narrative and writing quality in AAA video games for about 20 hours. It instantly comes together when you read it in that context.”

It comes together as a demonstration of what not to do, but that’s about all.

• Ashabel says:

“No, what is weird is recognizing that Ken Levine used the series to rant about philosophy and politics and then not recognizing that Infinite is an utter abortion in that aspect,”

“not the least due to its ending wiping the whole story from existence.”

“It comes together as a demonstration of what not to do, but that’s about all.”

• ohminus says:

“Why are you trying to make an argument when you don’t have an actual argument? Calling something an abortion doesn’t make an argument, it just means you’re faster to insult things than to analyze them.”

“How does the in-universe erasure of the game’s events from history invalidate anything it has to say to the audience? That doesn’t even make sense.”

“It does lampshade a number of problematic tropes as bundles of problems that they are, but you seem to imply that the game shouldn’t have done anything it did because all of it is objectively bad. Which, once again, you provide no actual argument for.”

• Ashabel says:

“Coming from someone who stops reading in the middle of the argument to claim it isn’t one, that’s a lot of projecting you are engaging in there.”

Except there wasn’t an argument past that statement, all you did was call the game an abortion. Or are you trying to imply that the aspect of the game’s events being erased from existence is what makes it an abortion? Is Donnie Darko also an abortion? How about Bastion? Chrono Trigger? Radiant Historia?

“No, what makes no sense is suggesting there is anything it has to say to the audience when the events they witnessed never actually happened. That strips them from practically any reason of further consideration. And by deleting all the achievements the audience had in the same stroke, it also wipes plenty of willingness to consider much of anything from the slate. “Hey, that awsome boss fight you finally managed to win? Never happened!””

“And you seem to imply that if you just close your eyes real hard, any problems you don’t want to deal with will go away. I made several posts already describing the problems. Calling ignoring what the story established five minutes ago “lampshading tropes” rather than being sloppy is cute, but not really credible.”

I’m sorry if I haven’t read every single comment on this 50-comment post and somehow missed the ones that were yours. However, I’m not sure how insulting me and my opinions instead of debating civilly is supposed to make you look even vaguely intelligent.

• ohminus says:

“Except there wasn’t an argument past that statement, all you did was call the game an abortion. ”

There was a comma there, not a full stop. Do you understand the difference?

“Or are you trying to imply that the aspect of the game’s events being erased from existence is what makes it an abortion? Is Donnie Darko also an abortion? How about Bastion? Chrono Trigger? Radiant Historia?”

Apples and oranges much?

“This is one of the most asinine paragraphs I’ve ever read. How in the hell does the in-universe erasure of narrated events manage to nullify the information provided to the audience?”

What’s asinine is your failure to understand that without the specific societal context provided, the actions of the members of said society become meaningless, as they are a product of that society. So any thinking about the various factions of Columbia is rather idle when Columbia, the environment that made them, never existed. Whether they would have acted the way they did against a different background is doubtful at best and fantasy at worst.

• Dave3d says:

I loved B1, liked B2, hated Infinite.
      Infinite was one of the few games that I purposely never finished. The first few hours were fun, but then it got SO repetitive and boring, that I just quit playing.
      I tried going back to it a couple years later, and from the very get go couldnt even play it, because it reminded me of the gameplay through the middle and near end again, so much so that I quit again.

7. Sakkura says:

When you say you can’t deal with injections, I assume you mean with a needle. In the context of improved graphics I immediately thought of shader injection instead, basically modding improved graphics into games.

These remasters are often pretty crappy compared to what you can achieve with shader injectors like SweetFX, plus some texture modding. Definitely appears to be the case here. I don’t understand why they advertise remastered graphics with a video full of aliasing, and low-res textures for that matter.

• parallax1 says:

Post-processing shader tools like SweetFX is pretty poor and does minimal to nothing, ENB is a little bit better in that regard but they work with what they got, which is the original game and its limitations.

Personally I’m waiting for a HD picture comparison to see what exactly they have improved on the original Bioshock visually. Bioshock 1 also has some issues with sound and compability with newer systems, so I’m hoping they fix stuff like that as well.

Either way, since the upgrade is FREE for owners of the original ones, you can’t beat that!

AutonomyLost says:

Just googled to see if the first two games run natively in 21:9 and indeed it looks like they do. Having never played the first two in the series, I imagine I’ll be purchasing this pack.

Lars Westergren says:

This looks pretty great in my opinion. You people honestly can’t see any difference between 0:59 and 1:00 scenes for instance? Or 1:08 and 1:10?

First half of the trailer is much better than the gory jump-cutty end though. It’s like the trailer for the original Alien.

Ben King says:

You know, there’s a gun in Fallout that SHOOTS SYRINGES at people.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Just finished Arkham Asylum and Scarecrow has syringe fingers on one hand, which are shown prominently.

teije says:

Well there’s a game I’m never going to play. Some people have arachnophobia, I have “having my eye put out by sharp pokey things” phobia.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Boy I hope you never played Dead Space 2 then!
          “We failed to make a scary game, so fuck it, let’s make them do something cruel instead, same thing right”

Nauallis says:

ack, why did you have to bring that up! I don’t have a problem with syringes or needles generally but that scene just… y’know… *shudders*

• Jalan says:

The Medic in TF2’s primary offensive weapon is a syringe gun.

• Jalan says:

No idea why I tacked that apostrophe in there. Not as if it made an already crummy sentence better or anything.

11. Cropduster says:

Not exactly mind blowing, but as long as it runs well I shall graciously accept my free gift from 2k, eve if I don’t actualy play it.

I remember having to download so many tweaks and mods to get the original port running reasonably, hopefully now no one else must suffer.

• Andrew says:

I actually like that it didn’t do much to originals. I don’t want them to screw something up and make a different game in the process. Remaster, not remake. And, people of PC-land, we not the target here, it’s for new consoles. That’s why we getting them for free.

• Czrly says:

All I hope is that they fixed the mouse acceleration. That, alone, would be enough for me. Even number 1 never looked exactly bad.

12. Dudeist says:

I’m not alone who can’t see significant changes, but it’s free, ok. I wish they can change fov in game without user tricks someday, I just dreaming…

13. Andrew says:

I’m curious about this “upgrade” thing. Do I get another game(s) in my Steam account for B, B2 and/or MD, or is it more like a patch? I would upgrade anyway, but I would like originals and remastered versions be separated, just in case.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Hard to say, but the way it’s been done before by others is adding the HD content as a separate, free DLC. It’s certainly been the case for Shadow of Mordor and…something else I have in my library, maybe Serious Sam?

Anyway. This obviously doesn’t mean they will do the same thing with the Bioshock series, but there are precedents and it does sound like the most sensible approach.

• Andrew says:

In my experience, quite the opposite, actually. All remastered/enhanced/HD/whatever versions I can think of are separate versions (“Serious Sam”, “Divinity: OS”, “Deus Ex: MD”, “State of Decay”, “Darksiders II”, “Dark Souls II”, etc.). I have two versions of “Batman: AC”, regular and GOTY, and “How To Survive: Third Person Standalone” is a, well, standalone, for crying out loud!

• parallax1 says:

That’s exactly (free DLC for HD textures) how they did with Sleeping Dogs.

14. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Oh, cool. I bought Minerva’s Den during the last summer sale and I was planning to (finally) play it soonish. Guess I’ll wait for the update, then!

15. Fersken says:

Did they remove the ‘waves’ in the remastered? It has annoyed me for years, when you look through glass under water, there’s waves in Bioshock… water and light doesn’t work like that.

16. zarnywoop says:

Wait, isn’t the “original” views just the xbox/ps3 720p versions (yes I changed the youtube res up to 1080p), so it will look better anyway because I am sure the original PC version never looked so… blurry.

17. criskywalker says:

If the game had modding support it would already look much, much better on PC.

Still it’s good to have a free patch that makes it look slightly better.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I don’t know much about that, but with Skyrim it certainly seems like modders are doing a better job than the developers themselves. Sakkura also said something about remasters being pretty crappy, so I think that might be the case here as well.

18. clippa says:

Always thought bioshock was very overrated but hopefully the pc version of the remake will be better than the original abomination.

You had to edit an ini file to turn off mouse acceleration, download a third party program to remove the 30fps cap for physics and animation and then download yet another program to fix the fov.

• fray_bentos says:

Indeed, and there never was a 30+fps physics fix for Bioshock 2. Looking forward to playing the remastered versions of Bioshock 2 and Minerva’s Den on PC having played through B1(PS3), BI(PS3), Burial at Sea i(PC) and ii (PC), in that order, over the last couple of years.

19. chrisol says:

Weird… when I see it I realise I already had a remastered version in my memory from 1st time round. And now I think about it I probably stored Skyrim in a remastered version in my hippocampus as well.

20. Metr13 says:

I hope they fixed the horrible sound issues the first two bioshocks had. Those made the games pretty unplayable to me.

21. Sic says:

Heh.

It looks a lot worse. Pretty horrible job.

It’s not a good idea to just “upgrade” textures and add random visual noise, while removing effects that masks low res assets and unifies the visuals. Notice how the removal of the “coloured fog” makes the botched bubble effect from the sinking plane look much worse (now you can see exactly how horrible it is — in high res). Notice how removing colour from the whole first scene makes it completely lose its mood.

There are countless other problems in the same vein. Just look at that horrible “dirt” effect on the windowpane when inside the capsule. Horrible idea. Looks dreadful.

The problem with these “remasters” is that it seems it lacks any sort of person directing the artists. There is no coherence or thought around the changes at all, it seems like they’re just done. “Make everything better” someone high up says, and the grunts seem to just go to work, upping resolutions and adding bits and pieces, with no regard to how it actually melds as a singular piece of art.

Shame.