ToeJam & Earl Gets a Funky New Sequel In 2017

ToeJam & Earl are back for another crack at some old school roguelikelike shenanigans and funky grooves. Aided by a Kickstarter in 2015 and now publishers Adult Swim Games, ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove [official site] is due on PC sometime in 2017. Back in the Groove will see the Sega Mega Drive cult classic’s stars crash land back on Earth, where they’ll have to do their best to fit in with the locals while they try to piece their ship back together.

You can see for yourself how the revival is shaping up in a new, nostalgia-laden teaser released this week.

Back in the Groove boasts randomly generated stacked levels with a bunch of secret locales The game is also getting an expanded soundtrack featuring 13 new tracks alongside 13 familiar favorites. There’s good news for folks looking to play in groups, with local and online multiplayer levels for groups of up to four. People playing in co-op mode will have access in the Hyperfunk Zone, with randomly generated levels just for the occasion.

To top it all off, there will be some new goodies as well, although Adult Swim doesn’t want to give everything away just yet. Expect new character-specific dialogue, Earthlings, permanent power hats, and co-op features.

ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove won’t hit Steam until next year, but you can buy the original for £3.99/4,99€/$4.99 if it’s a trip down memory lane you’re after.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Shazbut says:

FINALLY OH GOD

2. Sandepande says:

High-fives must be included.

3. DeadCanDance says:

I remember playing the original with my brother. We had lots of fun! Every time we saw the carrot lady that identified (?) the gifts we had we would be very excited… good times.

4. Titler says:

My brother and I used to turn it into a PvP game, where by we used the presents as offensive weapons against each other, and last man standing won. In such a game, the present randomizer was a hilarious strategy wrecker, and the ones where you could trigger sudden rocket boots right when your opponent was on the edge of a fall were hilarious surprises… It was almost like an even slower Spy Vs Spy, and I hope the new TJ&E allows for that kind of creative fun again!

5. HeavyStorm says:

Fuck, look at Toejam’s outfit… And that music. They are gonna fuck it up, aren’t they? :(

• theapeofnaples says:

Yeah, that music got an instant NEIN for me tbh.

It also looks… far too bright?

• genoforprez says:

Not sure if this is any consolation, but just FYI that there are multiple characters to choose from when you play, but this also includes two different versions of both ToeJam and Earl. So you can play as 2016 Earl or as 1990s Earl with the funky shorts.

Also, re: the art. The original pitch video actually had a completely different color scheme that used a more lifelike color palette, but the backers said they would prefer if the game looked more vibrant and cartoony in the spirit of the original 90s game. So the devs tweaked the color pallette and gave backers some samples to choose from and this color palette is what the backers chose, so it was actually the popular choice (though some people did prefer the old).

• genoforprez says:

Also, the music is pretty awesome too, if you ask me. Here is a video of the guy they’re having do the funk bass for the game. (Note that this is not the final mix used in the upcoming game, but it is the actual bassist playing an actual song from the game.)

6. C0llic says:

I remember Toejam and Earl fondly. Such a bizarre game. This all looks suitably similar, but I’m not a fan of the art-style at all. This kind of flash animated approach always looks cheap.

The game might be good enough to render the looks far less important, of course. I hope it is.

• Montegomery says:

It looks a hell of a lot better than the original kickstarter. The early development videos were hideous.

The current style might be a tad too bright, but it does a way, way better job of evoking the original game than what they were doing before.

• Toupee says:

Indeed. I get that they’re evoking TJ&E 1 — that part works — but I hate the “tweeny” animation. It just looks lazy to me. TJ&E 3 looked great on Xbox. TJ&E 1 and 2’s pixellated look was great too. I just am not impressed by this aesthetically.

Hoping it’ll play great, though! Exciting!

7. DingDongDaddio says:

Wow, stylistically bankrupt. Looks like any crap cartoon they would throw up on Adult Swim. Not a good sign when the Genesis game’s graphics are massively superior. This has no character.

8. WJonathan says:

I’m going to wait another ten years and let History tell me whether or not this was any good.

9. rondertaker says:

why doesnt anyone ever talk about how TJ&E was a roguelike? randomly generated levels, item identification, permadeath… like 20 years before all those things became trendy!

Comment on this story