Would You Adam & Eve It: BioShock Remastered Fixes

BioShock: The Collection [official site] on PC is good-lookin’ but, it’s fair to say, A Bit Dicky, pulling off the impressively bungled trick of both recreating some of BioShock’s original issues and throwing a clutch of new ones into the mix too. Take yer pick from enforced mouse-smoothing, no 5.1 sound, messed-up 21:9 support, limited FOV, no graphics settings outside of antialiasing, anistropic filtering, resolution, vysnc and a clutch of crashes. Many of these, though not the crashes, can be resolved via ini file editing (a guide to that is here), but in this, the third consecutive Year Of Luigi, we should not be expected to dirty our hands so.

The good news is that 2K are planning to grab a five-iron and bludgeon most of the major problems into submission. The bad news is that it doesn’t look like we can expect a full settings menu any time soon.

Here’s what 2K are “looking to address” in the near future, as announced via Steam:

• General Mouse Fixes, including better Mouse Smoothing, Sensitivity and Acceleration Options in BioShock;
  • Additional Speaker Mode Options in Audio Settings in BioShock;
  • Improved FoV Slider Options in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
  • Support for 21:9 display ratios in BioShock, BioShock 2 and Minerva’s Den;
  • General stability improvement to reduce instances of game crashes.

Presuming they track down all the major crash-causers, that’s pretty much hitting every major grievance. The critical exception is the option to manually fiddle with stuff like shadow and texture quality. However, I might give ’em a pass on this, as the inherent age of BioShock 1&2 means that a majority of contemporary gaming systems should be able to run ’em maxed out. The remastering mostly consists of new textures, not reworking the fundamentals.

Nonetheless, it’s a bummer to lack options for e.g. advanced anti-aliasing on high-end systems, and for manually dropping bits and bobs to get the games running sweet on e.g. puny integrated graphics on a laptop. (Though I guess you could play the original versions instead in the latter case?)

Good to know the main issues aren’t just being shrugged off, anyway. It’s a damn shame that two of the most compelling shooters of the last decade didn’t get the full-on love and cuddles that the bluster might have suggested, but hopefully they can live a little longer yet.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Optimaximal says:

I guess someone made a support request of 2K with the title “Would you kindly fix Bioshock?”

PoulWrist says:

Will the widescreen fix just cut off bits of the screen like last time? :p

• HamsterExAstris says:

Films do it all the time. What was wrong with a game composing for 16:9 and letting 4:3 show unintended crap at the top/bottom, instead of composing for 4:3 and letting 16:9 show unintended crap at the left/right?

(Okay, if you’re going to do 21:9, opening it up is really the only viable option. But in the old days when it was just 4:3 vs 16:9, it truly was a question of which was intended as the main ratio, and which was the janky open matte version.)

• MattM says:

If I can control the overall FOV, isn’t it all the same and there is are FOV values that gives me the equivalent images from HOR+ and Vert-?

3. Al Bobo says:

I just played through Bioshock 1. I guess it’s best to wait and see what they come up with, before giving good, old Bioshock 2 a spin.

• PresidentEvil says:

I was able to change the resolution in the original through the ini, but Bioshock 2 will not change for some reason, no matter what I do.

4. snowsurfer says:

Installed the remaster, saw that the mouse was still as terrible as before, crashed a couple times, saw that my 3440×1440 res was not supported, uninstalled. Hopefully the fixes will come soon enough. Meh.

5. Dinges says:

All this Bioshock talk reminded me that I still had Infinite sitting in my Library, untouched and unloved. While it’s starting to drag on a bit, I do enjoy the environment – Columbia is (almost) as fantastic as Rapture.

So yea, go play that too.

6. Christo4 says:

I don’t think i’ve seen it somewhere so i’m just going to say it.

Isn’t the “bioshock remastered” basically just a new gen console version that was ported as is on pc?

It’s like everyone is trying to avoid the issue or go around it.

This isn’t a remaster, is a re-ported.

phuzz says:

It’s a bit prettier than the old version, what’s wrong with calling it ‘remastered’?
      It’s not really a port when the original used the same codebase across PC and consoles, and that’s just what the new version is doing, just with nicer graphics.

• mavrik says:

What “issue” are you talking about? They took the original game, updated the engine and assets (which is called “remastering” like similar counterparts in movies and games) and recompiled it for all three platforms.

What is the “issue”?

7. SingularityParadigm says:

>”Nonetheless, it’s a bummer to lack options for e.g. advanced anti-aliasing on high-end systems”

The best quality anti-aliasing has always been to directly force a supersampled render resolution in the GPU driver settings. Everything else found in in-game settings menus is just algorithms that choose various compromises in the name of increased framerate.

8. Jabberslops says:

I haven’t played Bioshock since it came out and I was thinking I would replay it before moving on to Bioshock 2 which I haven’t played yet. Is there any real reason to bother with the remasters if it’s just higher res textures? I’ve read somewhere that they removed some graphical effects from the originals.

9. Drib says:

It’s a little late to fix stuff when they already have hugely negative reviews. What did they think would happen, releasing such a broken, limited piece of crap?

• Czrly says:

In actual fact, fixing stuff after a bad release shows proper integrity and any reviewers who don’t update their reviews when those fixes resolve their problems should probably not be reviewing games. This was probably a free upgrade for most of those reviewers and the fixes will be free for all of them. If the devs had left it in a broken state for years, I would have some sympathy, but they have responded within a week! That’s damn fast.

• ScubaMonster says:

Still though, it shouldn’t have happened in the first place. This is a remaster of an existing game so there’s no reason why it should have been bungled so bad. It’s also not a large game like an MMO with numerous complex systems going on that make it more prone to be riddled with bugs. It was sloppy laziness or complete incompetence on the part of who worked on it.

• Distec says:

No, I’d say those reviews deserve to stay up. 2K can hope to pick up the slack with the “recent reviews” metric.

I’m playing through Bioshock Remastered and I’m having fun with it, but that has everything to do with Bioshock itself being a solid game. It’s inexcusable for a PC port to be crashing like this, randomly switching out PC control schemes for console ones, and offering fuck-all in terms of graphics options. I’m willing to cut some slack to devs whenever they need to iron out unforeseen launch issues, but this seems like a bare-minimum effort.

Doesn’t even matter that it’s a “free” upgrade. 2K is charging money from newcomers and other people bought the older versions for the express purpose of getting access to the remasters.

Thulsa Hex says:

I just wanted to show appreciation for RPS’ on-going observance of the Year of Luigi.

11. Booker says:

Well in that case I’m going to wait more, before I fully dive in again!

Comment on this story