Flame on: Frozen Synapse 2’s tactical weaponry

Frozen Synapse 2 [official site] continues to be one of the more exciting games on the horizon, which is a relief given that I’m quoted saying almost exactly that in the latest trailer. It’s the AI factions and simulated city that acts as a backdrop to the tactical action that I’m most excited about, but the good ol’ tactical combat of the original game is the foundation on which the rest is built. Here you can see how new weaponry will change that, and marvel at how smoke grenades and flamethrowers look so lovely in the game’s visual style.

Control of space is always important in close quarters tactical combat, as I’ve learned by observing drunken pub brawls over the years. You’re going to want to cover the exits, make sure nobody can get behind the bar, and get your best man to the pool table as quickly as possible so he can commandeer a cue.

The new weapons on display here should let you control the spaces within Frozen Synapse 2’s procedural cities more efficiently. Flamethrowers draw a line across corridors or rooms, mines and turrets close down routes, and smoke disrupts line of sight and creates temporary cover. There should enough tactical tools to make infiltration and capture of even the trickiest building possible. And speaking of the buildings, I’m always happy to see new videos for this game because I enjoy seeing the interior layouts so much – I’d probably buy a procedural blueprint simulator.

The gifs below show flamethrowers, smoke grenades and mines, along with some of those lovely building layouts (yes, I’m more excited about the buildings than the weapons):

Along with the new trailer, there’s news of a delay. Don’t expect Frozen Synapse 2 this year, say Mode 7. I wasn’t expecting it this year anyway, though looking back, I see that it was indeed intended for a 2016 release. Given the scope of the game – procedural cities, simulated faction behaviour, escalating conflict – I expected we might have to wait. It’s OK. I can wait. I am strong.

From this site

1. dangermouse76 says:

Looking good, and lovely music. Got a little Alan Parsons project in there.

2. Neutrino says:

Not simultaneously coming out on console so almost certain to have a cobbled together half arsed interface for PC. Check.

…added to wishlist.

3. nanotramp says:

I’m very excited for this and am hoping that nervous_testpilot releases the soundtrack soon.

4. Cronstintein says:

This game looks stylish as all heck. I liked the tactical nature of the first one but felt it could use a strategy layer to go on top of it. Apparently the designers feel the same because this new game fits the bill to a tee.

Do want!

• klops says:

Yeah. I really liked the first one but at the moment I’m actually more interested in the strategic layer with its factions and all in the sequel than the tactical combat. Finally something like X-COM Apocalypse?

Harlander says:

I couldn’t get past the first level of Frozen Synapse. To this day, it’s a mystery to me what I was doing wrong.

• gunny1993 says:

Getting shot probably

Herring says:

I bounced off it too. It should be something I’m both good at and enjoy (I love XCOM / 2 / Invisible Inc and completed them on Ironman / Hardest) but I just couldn’t get ‘the rules’ to this.

Maybe because I was using my previous tactical-game experience on top when it’s not a good fit.

Keep meaning to have another stab and the sequel looks brilliant.

• Scandalon says:

I hear you! I got a few levels in, but never actually understood more than the basics of the interface. I never felt comfortable with it, always felt I was fighting it or was missing something.

6. Shinan says:

Frozen Synapse is one of my favourite games so I’m really looking forward to this.

I guess I should finish the single player campaign. I remember waybackwhen I tried it it always wanted me to fight online battles. And online battles are so much fun that I couldn’t NOT do those distractions. I assume there’s not as much activity on that front now that I could safely play through that campaign :)

7. SlimShanks says:

So hyped for this. It really deserves a good strategic layer. The first game is great but it’s like X-Com with no geoscape :(
    Also, it looks really really shiny now. Wow.

8. Darloth says:

I would in fact buy a procedural building blueprint simulator. Anyone got a good one to recommend?

9. Duke of ankh says:

Man i was hoping to get my hands on it sooner, what with Doorkickers2 also being delayed theres a bit of a drought on this style of strategy games

Comment on this story