Dead Static Drive takes you on a cosmic horror roadtrip

Horror driving games are my new favourite thing, and I’m hoping we’ll see the genre really come into its own in 2017. Just recently I was drooling over Driving Survival, and now Alice has brought Dead Static Drive [official site] to my attention. I didn’t even realise it was a horror game at first and was intrigued even then. I’d play a monsterless driving game with these lovely graphics, but there are monsters scattered all across this eighties themed land, and you can hit them in the face with an axe.

I couldn’t find any recent videos, but this run-down of the setting and ideas behind the game is still useful, even though it’s from way back in February of last year.

Drive to iconic locations, find weapons and/or doppelgangers, try to keep a grip on your sanity so as to identify monstrous creatures accurately, and then whap those monstrous creatures until they disintegrate. The ones in the video are crow people, and despite the ‘Grand Theft Cthulhu’ tag that developer Mike Blackney applies to the game, the images of other beasties seen so far are refreshingly untentacled. I don’t mind the occasional tentacle at all, but this American roadtrip could use some folklore other than that nestled out in Lovecraft Country. It looks like that may be the case.

The game was recently shown at PAX Australia and there are some lovely new screenshots. One of them is at the top of this post and the others are here:

And this gif may give an idea of how uncertainty applies to what may or may not be people at the roadside when sanity is running low:

But let’s finish on some rad driving so as to be clear this isn’t just about parking your car next to scary things:

No news on a release window yet, but I’ll be keeping an eye on this from here on out.

From this site

1. shagen454 says:

Damn, that looks so awesome. It looks like Kentucky RZ meets Interstate ’76. I love me some isometric perspectives.

• jj2112 says:

Ha ha I thought I was the only person alive who remembers Interstate 76. Now people complain about 60 fps… they should have played this game on my computer! It was like a slideshow.

2. UncleLou says:

Meine Güte, that looks fantastic. Gorgeous style.

3. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Interesting. I had a look at the other gifs posted in his twitter account, the explosions look lovely but it’s really the isolated shots of vehicles that sold me on the comic book look. Will keep an eye on this.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

(I will, however, say that the name is the blandest, most forgettable one I’ve seen since…that game whose name I can’t recall but trust me, it was pretty bland. It took me the time to make a coffee and reload the home page to forget it’s called Dead Something Drive)

• Kurt Russell Fan Club says:

Thanks for the name feedback! I hoped it would be memorable; coming up with the name that felt right to me was quite a struggle.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

I hope that didn’t come out as rude, it was meant as a throwaway comment about something that had just happened. I can imagine how hard it is to come up with a name that’s both memorable and descriptive.
          Still, I think it was Yathzee that said something along the lines of: “I have my reviews in alphabetical folders. You would not believe how much bigger the D folder is compared to all the others, what with all the games that have Dark, Darkness and Dead in the title”.
          Anyway, great work on the style of the game, looking forward to see more of it when it’s done!

4. theblazeuk says:

ooo. A bit of an Alice isn’t Dead* vibe to me -weird Americana road trip with strange monsters.

*there was a joke to be made about about Alice here but if you didn’t know the podcast it would’ve come off super threatening. I think.

5. KillahMate says:

I didn’t even know Unreal Engine could pull off lighting like that. Very very impressive.

6. racccoon says:

This looks ok.. maybe.. when its completed.

Comment on this story