Bulletstorm getting 4K rerelease with Duke Nukem mode

Bulletstorm might not have sold enough copies to ever get a sequel, but the new console generation mean that it’s getting the HD treatment. Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition [official site] promises hi-res textures, increased polygon counts, smoother framerates and support for 4K resolutions, as well as some new levels and modes.

The Full Clip Edition will include the DLC released for the original game, but also a new Overkill campaign mode which lets you start the game with all the weapons and skillshots already unlocked, six new maps for the score attack Echo mode, and… uh, the ability to play through the entire game as Duke Nukem, “featuring a fully rerecorded script and brand-new lines from the original voice of Duke.”

My opinion of Bulletstorm has softened with time. When I first played it, I struggled to see past the obnoxiousness of its characters and plot, which seemed to go out of their way to be as unlikable as possible. There’s plenty else about the game I enjoyed though and those are the parts the remain more in my memory, including some spectacular level design, fun setpieces, and the ability to basically slide and kick people in the shins indefinitely.

Bulletstorm was critically acclaimed upon release but didn’t sell all that well, and developers People Can Fly were acquired outright by co-devleopers Epic Games a year later. Gearbox weren’t involved with the original game at all, but they’re publishing it this time around. It’s due for release on April 7th 2017.

From this site

Top comments

1. Alice O'Connor says:

I go away for one week and you let them put Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm.

Unbelievable.

Dread to imagine what's happened with the plants I asked you to water.
  1. Monchberter says:

A great game released before its time. 2016 (*edit* – 2017) is the perfect year to reissue a self parodying game featuring puerile manbabies making dick jokes.

Disclaimer: I loved this game on release.

2. hanshanshans says:

Really enjoyed the game. What would actually make it great, though, would be the ability to jump and climb over knee-high obstacles.

3. ran93r says:

It wasn’t an outstanding game but it was “ok”. The campaign was short but if I recall, you had to run through parts of it twice to get different achievements.
    Will pass on this, was discussing the game only yesterday with some people regarding the Lawbreakers game, which seems like the spastic evolution of Bulletstorm.

4. Zum says:

Now we finally will receive a game that makes more justice to Duke than the DNF
    The Duke Nukem oneliners combined with the trick shots just sold me (again) to the game :)

5. Eight Rooks says:

The game underneath was great and the world design was fantastic as far as cartoon post-apocalypses go (Dead End Thrills had some great screenshots of it), but no, the writing was terrible and the humor wasn’t funny. It wasn’t obnoxious so much as just plain dull – RAR RAR LOOK AT ME I R SO META SEE HOW I SWEAR ISN’T MY IRREVERENCE JUST HIGH-LARIOUS yeah, no, please shut up. Barely cracked a smile at any of it, couldn’t have cared less about what was going on. Cramming Duke in should make things even worse. I’m still tempted – at its best the actual gameplay really was a wonderfully, blackly comic little playground – but nah, I’m thinking I’d better not.

6. Unsheep says:

Hipsters hated it since it wasn’t “sophisticated” enough.
    PC Masterrace people hated it since it was ‘too console’.

However, I thought it was awesome at first sight. A fantastic take on the style of FPS established by Doom, Duke Nukem and Serious Sam. Unapologetic raw humorous action.

Great to hear it will get a re-release. Since this style of FPS is somehow ‘OK’ with hipsters and the PCMasterrace folks, after Wolfenstin TNO and Doom (2016) I guess, it might get the attention it deserves.

• Pharazon says:

That statement is pure peasantry, I’ve never heard anyone call a game “too console”.
      I’m master race and I loved the game, I have it on origin and have friends on PC and console that liked it too, but have friends who didn’t liked it.

• Baines says:

If you’ve never heard anyone call a game “too console”, then you must not read any web sites where PC gamers talk about PC games. That includes RPS.

Games are constantly berated for being “too console”. Half the faults of No Man’s Sky were blamed on Sony’s influence and having to build the game for the PS4. Skyrim’s inventory was blamed on “consolification”. Two-weapon limits in an FPS were seen as a negative simplification brought about by Halo, as was regenerating health.

Games that were a bit more brawler action at one point were considered “too console” by PC gamers, at least until copying the super simple combat system of the Arkham games became a PC fad. Entire genres, particularly those that didn’t see much support on PC as it was, were dismissed by PC gamers as “console”, with a negative connotation of being “simple” or “kiddie”.

• dethtoll says:

I’ve definitely heard people say it was too console.

Personally I was one of the hipsters.

7. gunny1993 says:

Had tonnes of fun with the demo when it came Out; actual game was boring, twinned with the gfwl bs, and its stupid 10 minute opening sequence of walking around slowly.

8. Artiforg says:

Well, that’s a definite purchase for me. I absolutely loved Bulletstorm. It’s one of those FPS games I keep going back to. One thing I would love to see in a remaster is to be able to play the game co-op. You generally had at least one companion with you at all times in the game.

9. c-Row says:

Let’s hope it won’t be region-locked. The original game has been put on the index in Germany, and since the rerelease is pretty much identical to the original content-wise there probably won’t be a second hearing.

10. bandertroll says:

You have typo in first word.
    Great news, anyway, I’m fan of Bullestorm and Duke.
    And I believe – no fucking GFWL.

11. Halk says:

It would be great if they’re not going to screw the PC port up again to the point where I have to use a 3rd party program in order to edit encrypted ini files so my aiming down sight mouse sensitivity isn’t much lower than my normal look around sensitivity.

12. Suits says:

No GfWL is enough of a reason

13. mavrik says:

Great!

For some reason I couldn’t get a digital download of original Bulletstorm anywhere to replay it (it’s geoblocked on Steam O.O ), so HD remake sounds like a great reason to replay it. I remember it being a total campy dumb fun.

14. Alice O'Connor says:

I go away for one week and you let them put Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm.

Unbelievable.

Dread to imagine what’s happened with the plants I asked you to water.

15. Kollega says:

I was waiting for this. Hoo yes, I was. Bulletstorm offered the score-attack shooter experience before score-attack shooter experiences were cool, had some really great art and envrionment design (actually making the stereotypical UE3 look work somehow!), and General Sarrano is like the actually funny twin of Handsome Jack – but the game was hamstrung by fairly blurry textures, a shoddy PC port, and GfWL that was never stripped out of it. And now that those things are gone, well…

16. Pharazon says:

Any news if we will have the usual free upgrade on the PC or people will have to buy it?

Cross says:

Most importantly of all, there won’t be any Games For Windows Live pissing in our Bullet Soup this time around. I am excited!

18. genoforprez says:

I remember when this game first came out, people were so excited to play it, but there was such tremeeendous backlash about the coarse language (especially the frequency of f bombs) and it really did seem like it was THAT which hurt the game most of all, which is funny to think about now. Maybe it was just because Bulletstorm released at a time where it was still mainly aimed at a console audience (though there was a PC release). I just have a REALLY hard time believing people would care as much about the language if released (especially on PC) today than back then.

I thought the characters were juvenile manbabies as well, but if I’m being honest I think most AAA FPS characters are some flavor of juvenile.

But holy crap on a stick, man, Bulletstorm is an INCREDIBLY FUN game. It is the sort of game that needs a sequel. Maybe they can clean up the juvenile script if that really bothers people, but that gameplay is the shiiiiiznaaaaatch.

19. haldolium says:

oh right. The game where you ran constantly into blocking volumes because a jumping mechanic was too much to ask for, if you got beyond the “obnoxiousness”

Wonder if GB is capable to make a proper remaster. Didnt work that great for them so far.

20. dethtoll says:

Hm. I might actually play this now.

keefybabe says:

I will definitely get this. I loved the original and a bit of Duke wouldn’t hurt.

I also thought the main characters were great. There aren’t enough carpenter-esque antiheroes in gamers.

22. Sevarrius says:

Bulletstorm seems to be one of those games you either loved, hated or were simply offended by the ‘coarse language’ of(I’m not sure why anyone’s Granny would have been playing it anyway). I’m in the ‘loved it’ camp, more for the actual gameplay than anything else and if it’s a decent improvement I’ll probably pick up the remastered version when it comes out.

23. wodin says:

Loved Bulletstorm..grossly under rated

24. syllopsium says:

Wasn’t Bulletstorm the game where it was far too easy to run out of bullets? I was quickly bored of the demo and decided there were much better games out there.

Comment on this story