Skyrim, Fallout, and Doom tables flip into Pinball FX2

I’ve been playing a fair bit of actual physical pinball lately, having discovered a half-dozen machines across nearby pubs. My favourites put their themes into motion, like the NBA table where I get to launch the ball at a hoop (aided by mystical magnetism). The selection isn’t ideal, mind; I’m not much into basketball and Monopoly is so undesirable. No, digital pinball is a far better way to #engage with your favourite modern #brands in #brandball. Look, here come three new Bethesda-y DLC tables for Pinball FX2 [official site], plinging balls into Skyrim, Fallout, and Doom. Come see!

I do like the overall styling but am slightly puzzled by some of the details. Digipinball can be physically impossible, tables that could never exist in meatspace, and these Bethtables do tap into that a bit. So why do they also have some targets like plastic cutouts with pictures pasted on top? They’d look cheap even on a physical table. They jar with the more impossible elements and it’s weird.

Some of the minigames seem odd choices too, not things I strongly associate with their source material. Who could forget the bit in Doom with the asteroids? (I genuinely don’t remember: was there an asteroids bit? Or are those the floating platforms?) Let’s not forget the mazes of Skyrim either? No idea. I’ve not played these tables, mind, only watched the same trailer as you.

I’d want to put a bucket over the table’s head then steal all of its points while it couldn’t see by manually hammering scorezones. Hit balls at a staggered demon’s weak spots to rip and tear its guts until ichor and points flood the table. Arm a C4 ball then knock it into someone’s pocket. Abandon the main quests to get pally with the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild because god, no one cares, Stormcloaks.

The three Bethesda tables are £7.99/10,99€/$10.99 in a bundle on Steam. Do remember that the base game is free so that’s all you’d need to pay.

1. Pogs says:

8.27pm? Go home already Alice :p

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I don’t think there’s an RPS towers. She’s probably at home, starfished on a beanbag with a cat on her head.

• Ghostwise says:

WordPress does allow to schedule posts. :-)

(And I would imagine that posts published in the evening get increased #viewership from the colonies across the Atlantic).

2. Core says:

Those tables look pretty sweet. Nice that Bethesda is experimenting with their IP in new ways.

3. MeestaNob says:

Which pinball game do people recommend? I tried both Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade and while FXs novelty tables were nice, I thought Arcades actual ‘pinballing’ felt better.

Thoughts?

• Person of Interest says:

The Pro Pinball series has the best tables and realism, in my opinion. I tried both Pinball FX and Pinball Arcade, but despite their wide selection of tables, I was irritated by the clunky ball movement. I soon went back to Pro Pinball.

You can get Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey from GOG, and though they still look and sound great despite their age, they have problems with Windows 10 (apparently resolved by deactivating some graphics effects). Timeshock has been re-made with higher resolution graphics and better OS compatibility, and is available on Steam (titled Pro Pinball Ultra).

• ButteringSundays says:

Pinball FX is a great pinball game, Pinball Arcade is a great pinball simulator.

Ultimately it’s not about table variety, it’s about quality. And given the licences Pinball Arcade has you can’t really beat it. I mean, Medieval Madness, Adams Family etc. These tables are legendary for a reason.

• jj2112 says:

Personally I prefer Timeshock. Now the Ultra edition is available but I can’t tell the difference vs. the old one (well, it works in newer versions of Windows, I guess).

• RuySan says:

Pinball Arcade has some problem with presentation (the menus and interface are horrendous) but plays a great pinball game, and it’s definitely the most recomended.

Pinball FX2, not only has terrible physics, but the designers don’t really seem to know what makes a good pinball table. And judging by the video above, they still don’t with their insistence on mini games no one likes.

It’s a shame because some tables in PFX2 actually have nice layouts, but the games take way too long time (the space between the flippers is too narrow) while the objectives are too hard to pull off. This turns the games into long grinds without not much happening.

A classic table like Monster Bash or Addams Family may cost more on Pinball Arcade, but are way more fun than anything PFX2 has to offer.