Skyblivion is looking a lot like Oblivion rebuilt in Skyrim

As another year ends, it’s time to reflect on all that’s been done and all that’s still to come. So they tell me, anyway; I try to drink away any concept of the past or future. But bless ’em, the gang remaking The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion have worked hard and are proud of their work. A new trailer shows off Skyblivion [official site] as it stands now and yep, that’s looking a lot like Oblivion rebuilt in Skyrim.

It does, doesn’t it?

The team sound like they’ve mostly finished the base game and are getting stuck into the actual #content. They say:

“2017 is going to be a big year for us as we have started focusing our efforts on quests, scripting, 3D/re-modeling new assets, making an Oblivion inspired user interface and overall improving the aesthetics of a province that was already the most beautiful of any Elder Scrolls game.”

They’re looking for more folks to chip in so do swing by the TESRenewal Project if you’re handy.

I must confess to having been puzzled by so much effort going into remaking a game which is still readily available and playable on modern systems but hey, it should also put Oblivion on modern consoles thanks to mod support in Skyrim’s recent re-release.

Still no firm word on when Skyblivion launch. Other TESRenewal projects are to bring Morrowind to Oblivion, which you can now download and play, and to bring Morrowind to Skyrim.

Skyblivion devs recently livestreamed eight hours of wandering the world and answering questions about it, which you might enjoy if you’re really into this:

1. Squido says:

A top quality headline.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Good thing it’s not all caps or else people might think “Oblivion Built In Skyrim” is an upcoming title.

2. brucethemoose says:

This seems like a huge effort to go through when modded Oblivion doesn’t look or play all that bad in the first place. Its aged pretty well.

Skyrim’s engine certainly isn’t a shining beacon of perfection either. Hell, at least Oblivion did half-decent shadows on the GPU.

That said, I look forward to revisiting the Shivering Isles if they ever finish remaking that.

• thinkforaminute says:

Shadows got a nice upgrade in the Special Edition of Skyrim. No more twinkling squares.

3. LewdPenguin says:

Give Oblivion a console release? But it already came out on consoles back when it was a new thing, certainly on PS3 and I’m 99% sure xbox had a version too. Maybe it would be more accurate to say a current-gen console release, assuming PC mods do perfectly drop into the console versions of Skyrim of course, which if it’s ever going to be an issue surely would be with something of this scale.

• naetharu says:

Yep, Oblivion was one of the ‘must-have’ titles for the Xbox 360 right around its intial release in the UK.

Saying that, the basic game is broken in so many ways, the idea of a version re-made in the far superior Skyrim engine does sound quite good.

If you ever played a stealthy/agile character in vanilla Oblivion, you’d end up levelling the character via merely running/sneaking around, which in turn levelled all the foes while still leaving you with no useable attack skills at all…

Indeed, the mind boggles how Bethesda can be so utterly incompetant and yet still manage to make such captivating games.

• iucounu says:

Is there a console version that isn’t only playable on a 360 or PS3 though? Is it backwards compatible on anything current gen, or available via one of their ‘retro’ download services?

• ButteringSundays says:

*forward compatible

• kiefucc says:

Xboner has Oblivion available in the Store, and I’m fairly certain you can just shove your 360 disc into it and it’ll just work. Don’t know about Pshit4 though

• brucethemoose says:

Some of the brokenness was fun to exploit. Like making a spell that buffs your horse’s speed so much it can crash your game, getting 100℅ reflect damage, cheesy leveling and so on.

• Konservenknilch says:

My personal favorite was the chameleon exploit – equip three items with 33% chameleon each (the max for enchantments) and you get complete invisibility that doesn’t lift even when you attack. So just run around clobbering everything you see.

• brucethemoose says:

Yeah, and it made the AI freak out and do some wacky things.

• QuicksandJ says:

I enjoyed playing Oblivion with a stealthy character, until I was able to achieve 100% chameleon with gear only. Since it never wore off, I could sneak attack and stay undetected. It was essentially invisibility because I could hack anything to death without it ever fighting back. Needless to say, that took all of the fun out of the game and I quickly lost interest in it.

4. Rebelzize says:

Thank you very much for writing this article! We all really appreciate it over at Skyblivion.

• dangermouse76 says:

Long shot here but is there any way – however small – that an original PC oblivion save could be transferred to this once finished ?
      Great work as well can’t wait to try it out.

Drib says:

I like these kinds of efforts. It’s a lot of work to bring that much content forward.

Though I can’t help but get the feeling that TES 6 will be out before either of these are finished.

6. SingularityParadigm says:

It is beyond me why there has been two Skyblivion articles in the last two months, and nothing focused on Skywind which is much farther along and has a much bigger team…especially since Morrowind is far more in need of a graphical update than Oblivion.

7. int says:

So let me get this… straight.

It’s Oblivion built in Daggerfall? Or Skyrim built in Arena? Or was it The Elder Scrolls Online built in Morrowind?

8. anisotonic says:

problem with Oblivion is that it doesn’t work well at all in 3D… since skyrim does however, this should solve the issue. I reckon some places would look amazing in 3D.

9. malkav11 says:

I highly doubt that the pretty limited console mod support (especially on PS4) will support total conversion-level mods. But Oblivion has aged far worse than Morrowind so it seems like a reasonable candidate for updating with a largely improved engine, whereas Morrowind conversions are always going to lack a certain something. (Skywind is at least a more sensible proposition than Morroblivion, since again, Oblivion’s aged very badly and Morrowind actually looks and plays better than it with a few mods. Skyrim is closer to an upgrade.)

• brucethemoose says:

“Oblivion has aged far worse than Morrowind”

Morrowind hasn’t aged very well, IMHO. But, uncanny valley faces aside, Oblivion doesn’t look that bad today.

• malkav11 says:

Oblivion is bloomy as fuck and the potato people are everywhere. There are other weirdnesses to its look, too. And I’ve never seen mods that do anything to fix it. (It’s also far less visually inspired but a reproduction in the Skyrim engine probably won’t do much to change that.) Morrowind looks stunning with a bit of tweaking. See for example: link to youtube.com

10. smeaa mario says:

The title is quite meaningful, as this doesn’t look like an improvement over the original Oblivion. I mean I expected a Skyrim-like visual boost. Are my expectations too high maybe? The way it is, I don’t see any reason to recreate the whole Oblivion inside Skyrim.

zigguratvertigo says:

I would love this to be a thing because Oblivion is still my favourite Elder Scrolls game but I find it unplayably unstable on my Windows 10 PC, whereas I rarely have problems with Skyrim.

12. poliovaccine says:

Frankly, Oblivion/Cyrodiil needed more imagination, not a better engine.

13. Kong says:

RPS at its best. I see the title and ask myself that ancient question: why?

The simple answer has been the same since god created man, according to scripture.
    Man is created in the image of god.
    Next question: why has god hair on his anus? Chimps do not. Merry xmas

14. ceponatia says:

Projects like this are always a cool idea but from my experience they never get finished. I’d be more of a fan if they created a world *inspired* by Oblivion (with the same quests and all that) with more fleshed out cities and dungeons. You could make a pretty epic Imperial City in Skyrim’s engine. Hell you could make an entire mod that was just the Imperial City built in a more realistic scale.

15. yaface yamumsface says:

skyrim has annoying glitch u cant complet the thievs guild if u enter and take anything from riftwald manor on xbox 1 edition skyrim remasted pls fix im level 206 i want to do the theive guild quest