Tilt your way past mountain monsters in TumbleSeed – out now

TumbleSeed jungle

TumbleSeed [official site] is a colourful arcade game about rolling a seed up a mountain, complete with monsters, procedurally-generated levels and 30+ character upgrades. A roguelike-like, if you will.

You tilt a horizontal beam left and right, rolling your tiny friend away from holes and traps as you move steadily skywards.

Alice liked the preview build she played a while back and, now it’s out and has a launch trailer, I’m impressed too. The themed levels all look bright and varied, the music is funky, and there’s plenty of on-screen action.

I can imagine it gets pretty hectic in its later stages, so you’ll no doubt need its 30+ power-ups. They all have brilliant names, like Floodfruit – which fills the holes ahead with water – and Bounceberry, which you can use to spring away from danger.

If you want a bite of the action, it’s £10.99/$14.99 on Steam, itch.io, and the official site, which scrolls upwards instead of downwards. Clever, eh?

And if you’re not already tempted, there’s a $500 daily challenge every day next week. Nab the high score and you take home the cash. Sadly it’s US-only, so us UK folk will have to be content with the satisfaction of climbing the leaderboards.

Here’s the full trailer. What do you think?

From this site

1. box-prizes says:

Did anyone try this game? Is an interesting game, but at some levels it’s a bit boring!

2. Solum says:

I’ve been playing it for a couple hours now and I’m really liking it so far! It’s definitely the most unique roguelike I’ve played in a while, and the game a lot more complex and stressful than the trailers and screenshots make it look; It rewards taking smaller and/or bigger risks, but punishes mistakes VERY harshly at the same time. It seems like the perfect game for veterans of the roguelike genre looking for something new.

• australopithecus says:

Something can’t be the “most unique”. Unique means there is “one and only one” of something. So there can’t be greater or lesser extents of “uniqueness”. The word you want is “unusual”.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Zzzzzzz… We got the jist..

• Kitsunin says:

Technically, sure? But shut up. People say things are “very one of a kind” all the damn time, despite the illogicality of it. “The most unusual” does not mean the same thing as “The most unique”. If we use unique “properly” then we can barely use it to describe anything.

• australopithecus says:

Shut up? Charmed, I’m sure… No, I won’t shut up.

Everything you said proves my point. That’s right, they don’t mean the same. And that’s right, “unique” is rarely applicable.

Back when people knew what the two words “unique” and “unusual” meant and how to use them, we had two useful words with different meanings. Now we have two words that people use to mean “unusual”, and no word that can be used for the proper meaning of “unique”. Brilliant. Brilliant.

• Kitsunin says:

What about how unique as used here has a different meaning than unusual? It carries a positive connotation which unusual does not possess. “The most unusual” makes me expect something off-the-wall, not…well, just unusual, per its dictionary definition. “The most unique” indicates it’s different from other things, and these differences make the product good, but it’s still likely well grounded.

When we use unique without a modifier, it still maintains its textbook definition. In this case, I simply see a distinct difference between the meaning of “most unique” and “most unusual”. It’s not like the way “literally” has lost its meaning in a way which really makes it difficult to communicate at times.

3. GeoX says:

It LOOKS pretty as heck, I’ll tell you that much for free.

4. Elgarion says:

I’ve tried it, asked for refund. I think it’s quite bad, mainly focused on its way to handle the player’s movement. Monkey ball meet [put a generic roguelike here]. Not for me.

Comment on this story