Mass Effect 2 & 3 overhauled with a huge fan-made texture pack

mass-effect-textures

Face still feeling tired after the whole Mass Effect: Andromeda debacle? Well, the earlier, better games haven’t stopped existing, y’know. Maybe revisiting them with a slightly more 2017 look will scratch your itch. For instance, with these mods that add over 3,000 replacement, higher-res, 4K-friendly textures to Mass Effect 2 & 3.

Texture packs are not in and of themselves an act of kindness – often, they wind up making the game look disjointed or more artificial, or indelicate use of sharpening and noise filters just makes them look horrendous in motion, or the modders get carried away with added details or tweaked colours that noticeably impact the game’s creator-intended appearance, or NPC faces wind up looking like makeup was applied with a catapult.

Fortunately, looking through videos and screens of the A Lot Of Textures (aka ALOT) 2017 ME2 and 3 packs, it appears that, in the main, discretion has been exercised and the broad result is indeed the same games but sharper.

Textures are hardly the be-all and end-all of what makes a game look hot or not, of course, but I do find stuff like NPCs with detailed faces sat atop shirt collars that look like pixel soup to be a mite distracting. As such, it’s the armours and outfits that most pop with these mod packs, although there is perhaps an over-reliance on added nicks and dents.

Take a look at it in action, complete with a few screeny-wipey before and after shots:

FRESH. This is not to say there isn’t the occasional facepalm, however – for instance, why is this gun made out of one of Bon Jovi’s old stone-washed denim jackets?

denim-gun

Unfortunately at present you can’t choose what you do and don’t want installed, so expect a bit of rough-with-smooth if you give this a shot. Oh, I should note that the ALOT 2017 mod packs are not themselves the work of their uploader CreeperLava, but rather he compiled, with permission, thousands of textures made by a dozen-odd other modders – full credits are on the download pages. For Mass Effect 2 that’s here, and for Mass Effect 3 it’s here.

1. the_anderthal says:

Think the original needs more love. Still the best Mass Effect imo, despite the non-streamlined mechanics.

• Hartford688 says:

This mod is rather good, and spruces up the graphics of the original ME game:

link to moddb.com

• Ghostwise says:

Yes, the Mass Effect Updated/Improved Textures mod is fantastic, and it also improves lightning, shadows, etc.. Here’s the Nexus link (same as the Moddb one, but more convenient if you’re a Nexus type).

link to nexusmods.com

The ME2 and ME3 packs are also pretty cool (though there was some drama), and they represent a huuuuge amount of work both in terms of textures proper, and in software development to seamlessly do texture injection into the game.

• Mgamerz says:

ALOT for ME1 builds upon MEUITM and adds many additional high res textures on top of it. But you can’t use the exe version of meuitm or it will bork.

link to nexusmods.com

• Ghostwise says:

Good point ! Which reminds me I should update my Mass Effect 1 graphics enhancement guide.

And FWIW there still are pretty nice mods released for the whole Dragon Age series.

• brucethemoose says:

I’m running both in ME1 right now, and I can say it looks fantastic.

Been awhile since I played any of them, but between this and ReShade, the graphics remind me of vanilla ME2/3 more than the ME1 I remember.

2. SaintAn says:

Sadly neither are worth playing because they’re so bad.

3. Nouser says:

I don’t remember the first Mass Effect looking that bad. Actually, I don’t remember any of those scenes.

4. Mgamerz says:

There is also ALOT for ME1 which adds many textures on top of the original texture mod MEUITM.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

Can I get the DLC without buying Bioware points (hate having to buy fake currency which obfuscates the actual price and isn’t valid anywhere else). If not, then I’ll just continue sulking and passive aggressively wait until I’m over it or my backlog dwindles (either one is as likely to happen).

6. lglethal says:

There are ways to get the ME2 DLC and a DLC unlocker to play them. The DLC comes from an EA server if i remember correctly. A bit of google searching should help you with the unlocker (and to find the DLC downloads). Just be sure to scan the unlocker before running it as there are plenty of dodgy ones out there filled with viruses.

I havent heard of anything similar for ME3 though.

7. sosolidshoe says:

“earlier, better games” … “ME2 & 3”

Lawl. ME1 and Andromeda both are better by far than “ERMAGHERD Illusive Man Is Awesome 1 & 2”, they really shat the bed with the writing staff changes over the course of the second and third games.

• malkav11 says:

I’m not as down on ME2 and 3 as you seem to be but yeah, I came to dispute that description also. Earlier, for sure. Better, not hardly.

8. Silent_Thunder says:

I’d argue texture detail is the most important upgrade graphically a game can do. yeah, nicer lightning, softer shadows, reflective water, better facial rigging all can improve how a game looks, but nothing rips your OUT of a game like gross, muddy textures.

Comment on this story