Oxenfree devs announce Afterparty, a Hellish pub crawl

The makers of creepy/lovely adventure game Oxenfree have announced their next game, Afterparty. It will send us on a pub crawl across hell with the ultimate goal of out-drinking Satan to save our souls. I’m in. That’s all I need to know. But wait, there’s more: every dialogue choice will offer the option to drink, and different drinks give different moods/social powers. If I’m focused on the laddish side of the game, it’s probably because I spent the night in a Brighton hotel room overlooking a kebab shop on the high street. The rest sounds good too, but we’ll need to wait until 2019 to play.

So! Life-long besties Lola and Milo are about to graduate university but find themselves suddenly dead and in hell’s sprawling waiting area for reasons unknown. Trying to figure out what happened and why, they set out on a pub crawl across hell to gain entrance to Satan’s exclusive eponymous afterparty and out-drink him to earn their freedom. Beats playing Twister against the Grim Reaper, I suppose.

It does sound an interesting Hell, a sprawling city around the River Styx with neighbourhoods drawing from many faiths. And karaoke.

Drinking seems a big part of the puzzling, with different boozes having effects like loosening inhibitions or sharpening wits, opening new opportunities.

That’s how it sounds, anyway. This information is all second-hand from an exclusive announce-o-prevview on the Ian Games Network, which explains more. The game’s official page has newsletter signups for future information.

Oxenfree is one of best PC games, sez us, so more from developers Night School Studio is certainly welcome. Check out Pip’s Oxenfree review for more too.

1. Michael Fogg says:

Such nice art in the service of normalising binge drinking.

• Ghostwise says:

“Here is stuff that you have to do after you’ve been sent to Hell” is certainly painting drinking alcohol in a flattering and positive light.

• Michael Fogg says:

Heaven is uptight and bureaucratic, Hell = party time is a narrative that serves a similar purpose

• a very affectionate parrot says:

…and neither exist.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Awesome. Here comes Captain Flamebaiter to make the internet a worse place.

• Vinraith says:

I really enjoyed Oxenfree, but this is a pretty deeply unappealing premise.

2. woodsey says:

Oxenfree didn’t grab me especially in terms of plot or character (a weird mix of well-realised characters who nevertheless sounded exactly like a thiry-something’s entirely unconvincing impression of real teenagers), but the naturalistic dialogue system was quietly jaw-dropping.

3. Masked Dave says:

This is the game I have always wanted, I just didn’t know it.

4. Viral Frog says:

Huh. If I believed in an afterlife, I’m assuming this is exactly how mine would play out. I’m interested in learning more!

5. April March says:

Hello, new desktop wallpaper.

6. Ramaz34 says:

How bad is your grade?..Have you ever wanted to change your grades and you had contacted many hackers to
    render this service but cannot guarantee a safe exploit for your school systems.. Fear no more, When it comes to network exploit and software penetration we are the very best out there. We have all hacking materials and tools to penetrate any system and deliver a 100 percent success to our client.Privacy and safety of our client is our ultmost priority. .visit darkwebsolutions. co