An Eve FPS?

By Jim Rossignol on November 8th, 2008 at 4:44 pm.

CCP’s keynote presentation at this weekend’s Fanfest has seen the Icelandic company hint at a cross-platform shooter, as Eurogamer reports:

Footage was shown of a Halo-like shooter on a daylit, Earth-like planet surface. The architecture and gun designs were clearly redolent of the space MMO’s art style.

There was also a third-person view of a land vehicle driving across the surface.

Earlier in the presentation on the future of EVE, CCP bosses Hilmar Petursson and Nathan Richardsson had mentioned that CCP has a “game console strategy”, and a slide mentioning PS3 and 360 was shown.

CCP are currently developing a World of Darkness MMO in conjunction with White Wolf, in a new studio being set up in Atlanta. They also have a content team in Shanghai.

, .

1. Nuyan says:

Now that’s the sort of surprise I was expecting of FanFest..

I don’t know what to think of it though, I guess it’s a good franchise that certainly has potential for other games.

2. Senethro says:

3. LeFishy says:

I am slow :<.

I like the sound of this. Especially if they really get the art style and feel across. It is that that keeps bringing me back to eve when I get bored of clicking on rocks.

4. Kelduum Revaan says:

PlanetSide but in Eve anyone?

I like that idea, but it would of course include some Eve-styled reasoning, like invading someone’s planet to take over their resource generation things…

Although, that would make more sense as an RTS.

5. mrrobsa says:

“MMO spinoffs from properties with fleshed out worlds is a trend I’d like to see more of. How cool would a WoW RTS be?”

6. AlexW says:

If they integrated it into regular EVE as an outside-ship exploration/homicide possibility that’d sound about right, especially since it would go hand-in-hand with walking around inside stations.

7. sockpuppetclock says:

“How cool would a WoW RTS be?”

Heheheh, that’s a joke right? :)

8. Stephen says:

haha, quality comment – the only question I have is… “but what would they call it?” :P

Joking aside – I felt Command and Conquer Renegade did not get the success it deserved for its quality. The nice thing about big MMOs being used for other types of games is that the development budget tends to be bigger than if they’re just trying to start a fresh brand because it’s got a brand behind it – some people will buy anything set in Azeroth, for example.

This means that there’s more money, and hopefully time, effort and skill, dedicated to producing a quality game. This can only be good. Personally, I’ll play any quality sci-fi FPS game and the fact it’s EVE is just a benefit – I like EVE.

Think about the range of content they could expand it to! Tie ins to the MMO “You’ve beaten the space fleet – now shoot the mofos in the face”. There’s no end of environments and missions to go on.

EVE’s got a scary learning curve though, will the FPS have one too?

9. MrMelons says:

Although i know this is not what it will be like, I am still imagining something like spore but revolving around the complexity that is the flushed out Eve universe.

And has anyone heard that Blizzard is working on a game called Warcraft. Apparently its a precursor to the past events in World of Warcraft, I can’t wait to catch up on all the backstory.

10. Senethro says:

Sadly, the WoW RTS is never going to happen. Here is Blizzards April Fool on the matter. http://www.blizzard.com/us/whoa/

Warcraft: Heroes of Azeroth. We can only dream.

11. Pags says:

Senethro just blew my mind a second time.

12. Elfmagepwnzors says:

wow! didn’t was a wow strategy game out!! going to try out hope I can find it on priatebay

13. Pags says:

Elfmage just blew it a third time, my mind has been blown more times than a lonely businessman in the red light district.

14. Dolphan says:

If that’s not a joke, it’s the funniest thing ever.

How paradoxical.

15. Dolphan says:

Oh, it is a joke, and now I look silly. I miss the edit function.

16. TooNu says:

could you imagine just for a second what an EvE fps would be like if you brought in everything that EvE is, as a game to this. An FPS that would be based on how well you could assemble a rifle and clean it, and check out all the various parts and the tech levels of aprts, not to mention how could at chemstry your character is for bullet making and improving the metal corriosn of the barel. And lets not forget the physics PHD requirement so taht you can accuretly predict how large, fast, round, pointed the projectile need be to penetrate a tungsten vest with electro-shileding. Or how about learning metalurgy for the composites of your body armor and lets not forget the doctors and biologists needed to ensure fighting in an abandoned space hulk would be safe.
    Or are they just thinking guns/ med packs and special types of ammo? have I taken this too far again?

17. faller meal says:

Actually, I bet an FPS that gradually completed itself when you weren’t logged in to it would be really popular with some people, mostly achievement fans and gamers who don’t have the time to actually play any games.
    It would make game discussions interestingly Zen, too.

18. Catastrophe says:

I take it he meant WoW FPS as oppose to RTS (Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 anyone?)

19. Senethro says:

Oh for fucks sake you guys are terrible and have RUINED the joke!

*leaves forever*

20. Jahkaivah says:

One day.. internet sarcasm and humour will become a universally recognised concept.

In the mean time the best we can do is /facepalm

21. Meat Circus says:

EVE + Planetside = more MMO win than I could handle.

22. john t says:

What makes Eve interesting to read about (I don’t know about playing it, since I didn’t even make it through the demo) is that its the only MMO that has a real history, lived and created and written about by and for the players. Other games merely have story. In Eve, you can say ‘I was there when…”. In World of Warcraft, there’s nothing comparable. Too many shards, too much instanced content. If they do a planetside game, I hope they retain that.

23. gorgonzola blue says:

I’ll take the Piranha Light Rocketlauncher and an Antimatter handgun with it.

I’d really like to have an FPS that would mirror some of the internet spaceships combat ;

24. PleasingFungus says:

That april fool’s page is way better than the rest of this post. Today is off-topic day! Off-topic forever!

25. The Hammer says:

“More links coming soon!”

The liars.

26. Bidermaier says:

thanks god something to play while I mine with mi Hulk!!!!

27. TheDeadlyShoe says:

If it actually plays like an FPS and not like EVE, I’m game. I loved the EVE background, art, meta-game etc., but hated the gameplay.

28. MindBrain says:

They should build a FPS component into Eve. It can take place in “holodecks” on certain stations and the players could compete like a sport, gambling, buying upgraded weapons. Great idea

29. Funky Badger says:

Mindbrain: couldn’t you just have TF2 running in a different window?

30. MeestaNob! says:

Good lord.

This thread was destroyed by humans.

31. Erlam says:

Halo-like? Nooooooooo.

32. Batolemaeus says:

Actually, an fps with the eve lore would be pretty depressing. The only role you could play in it would be the one of the normal soldier, dying in millions to orbital bombardements on barren planets.
    The usual pod pilots are the gods of the world, they are not only immortal, their ship crews die in thousands whenever one of their ships blow up, and they just board the next one. They don’t fight with weapons like commoners.
    If you are granted the exclusive right to enter a space station, you will see some pod pilots from the distance, but never will you be allowed to get to them. You, the mere mortal, the corporate drone, dying for 0.003% more profit, and reprocessed into proteine deliciacies by the blood raiders upon death..

33. Tei says:

Not much, like Dune 2, but with orcs, humans, etc.. very generic.

34. YogSo says:

You people need to think out of the box. RTSs are so yesterday. What WoW really deserves to show all its potential is a point-and-click adventure. Just imagine the possibilities of exploring Thrall’s origins, for example, while you guide him in his journey to became warchief of the orcish Horde, navigating witty puzzles and enjoying beautiful fully-animated, cartoon-like cinematic sequences…

35. jonny says:

wow and eve online are great games.

36. Desh says:

Really there are no words for this comment….