NYCC MMO Footage Part 2: Champions Online

By John Walker on February 9th, 2009 at 11:07 pm.

Does it look less cel-shaded?

Following on from this morning’s demonstration of Star Trek Online’s character creator, there’s finally more footage of Champions Online. Since Kieron brought you the definitive coverage of the game so far last July, it’s been pretty quiet. However, a very brief glimpse appeared at New York Comic Con, and it’s below.

Called the “Police Brutality” trailer, it briefly depicts some melee combat between two strikingly different characters. And not a lot else. And I swear I’ve seen that fountain in another game. But still, it’s good to see this game moving for once – more please.

And of course you should compare and contrast with the DC Universe footage.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. PHeMoX says:

Those videos look good, has a bit of a Freedom Force vibe to it. Nice!

2. An Innocuous Coin says:

I feel oddly underwhelmed, somehow. It just looks like a somewhat prettier City of Heroes to me, and that game is still going strong.

3. SanguineLobster says:

It does seem to have some strange animation issues, well, we’ll see what happens as it goes on.

4. PaulMorel says:

hmmm, what to say about that combat. It looks like a cross between turn-based and button mashing … it kind of looks KOTOR-ish … but I don’t know. The video certainly doesn’t make me any more excited.

But I think that I have committed to being a launch-day buyer on this one anyway. If it’s just a tiny bit better than CoH, then it will be a good game.

5. Foca Mais says:

Was that Juggernaut against a female Daredevil ? Cool !

6. thefanciestofpants says:

That was cool and all, but need moar.

Like, how bout a couple of hours of someone playing with the character creation?

7. Anthony Damiani says:

Could have used more physics– felt weird to see them wailing on each-other and not being knocked back at all.

8. Catastrophe says:

Is that not a reskinned video of the Starwars MMO you shown us a few days back?

Distinct lack of knockback/lightsaber damage.

9. Bobsy says:

Mph. Agreed that the animations aren’t altogether convincing. I guess blocking was being employed in that fight, but you couldn’t really tell for sure. Still, it’s nice to see something from it.

10. TooNu says:

That fountain is in City of Heros, they are everywhere but mainly found inside of Atlas park behind the central goverment building. There is also one in Steel city if my memory serves me right, it is found at the giant statue.

I rarely buy or play a game based on graphics luckily for me, I pity the people that go with that sort of theory. Graphics make the game, bollocks.
    If the gameplay is good and something you want, then you will love the game. I can not wait to play this game for example.

11. Hmm-hmm. says:

Not that impressive, really. I wonder if they’re pulling their punches or not.

12. Hmm-hmm. says:

..they being Cryptic, of course.

13. Tei says:

Very short video, I will make a short comment:

[Is the..]

14. BeamSplashX says:

POLICEMAN: We need a champion!
    (enter QUEEN)
    QUEEN: Weeeeeeee are the Champiooooons!

15. Theoban says:

Looks a bit…and I’ll probably get slaughtered…but the combat looks a little WoW-esque. Run up to something, hit it for a while. Neither of them seem to react much (apart from the initial ‘smack little creature away’ move)

Am I expecting too much from an MMO? Maybe. But surely a Super-Hero MMO should be, well, super. And heroic.

16. Arathain says:

If it’s like City of Heroes, then melee players are mostly protected against getting knocked about, whereas squishier characters and mobs get knocked down, up and back by suitable abilities. Nice looking animations, just as I would expect.

Comment on this story