Demigod Released Early

By Jim Rossignol on April 14th, 2009 at 8:07 am.

Well that cocks up my release-day review, doesn’t it? Thanks to Gamestop inexplicably releasing the game early at retail in the US, the release of digital download versions of Demigod have been brought forward to yesterday. Brad Wardell explains the kerfuffle over at his Impulse blog, as well as pointing out that this whole mess should, in theory, “maximise” piracy rates:

“…it was Easter weekend. And many of us had just finished a good solid 8 weeks of massive crunch and were looking forward to the weekend to recover. Instead, we found ourselves back at work having to turn on and configure the multiplayer matchmaking servers… we’ll get to actually see the effects of piracy. Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them.”

Thoughts? I’m liking Demigod very much. Rook SMASH! And if you’re going to get it before you read a more sophisticated verdict than that, buy it on Impulse. We’ll post some more detailed thoughts later in the week.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Heliocentric says:

My theory, gamestop had the chance to hurt a growing threat, so it did.

2. Chris says:

Tried it out first on my friends impulse, multiplayer was pretty shaky cause they weren’t ready for it I guess :( seemed fun, so I bought it and just finished with a 3 hour game, and that game alone was worth the entry fee, hehe

3. Smokey says:

there are a few elements similar to teh Warcraft 3 mod “Defense of the Ancients” . Does anything that has played both have any input for a comparison of the two games?

4. Deadend says:

Any word on a demo? I prefer to try before I buy.
    I will confess to having pirated a few games for the sake of having a demo. A demo matters.

5. Vinraith says:

Past experience with seemingly promising games has taught me never to buy before playing the demo.

6. df1z says:

I bought this on Impulse today after my roommate snatched the last early copy at our local GameStop. I was a huge fan of DotA and I’ve kept my eye on this for awhile now.

After only having enough time to play a few skirmishes, I must say I’m loving this game. Hands down, if you enjoyed DotA, you’ll enjoy Demigod. There aren’t nearly as many heroes or items yet, but it looks great and plays much like DotA.

Can’t wait to get back home from work so I can jump online and check out some real competition.

7. Tertiee says:

Demo has been planned but no timetable has been given yet.

8. El_MUERkO says:

/pokes shopto

post meh game

9. Vinraith says:

“Hands down, if you enjoyed DotA, you’ll enjoy Demigod. There aren’t nearly as many heroes or items yet, but it looks great and plays much like DotA.”

Not to be a jerk, but if that’s the case wouldn’t I be better off playing DotA (which also has the benefit of being free)?

10. bookworm8at says:

I read on their forums that there will be a demo in a few weeks.

“Past experience with seemingly promising games has taught me never to buy before playing the demo”

Wiser words were never spoken. I got weak because of the demi-price ( 30,- EUR is quite cheap).

However, so far it looks like a _very_ good deal. This game is fun.

11. Schtee says:

Does this affect UK retail release? ShopTo.net have it for £17.99, however they have the release date down as 29/05. That’s like £8.90 cheaper. But like 2 weeks later. WHAT TO DO?

12. unclelou says:

Another game, after Battleforge, I know little about (to the point that I was thinking the two were one and the same for ages).

Is this mainly a multiplayer-game?

13. bansama says:

Add another voice to the really want to see a demo crowd, as I’m hardly about to invest 4000+ yen in a game and digital distribution network I hardly know without one.

14. Kyr says:

Demigod is very much like Defence of the Ancients (DotA) in many ways. It’s multiplayer (and single too), it’s team game, and it’s looking good and fun to play. It’s nothing like Battleforge which is boring and online.

P.S. Rook smash allright.

15. JP says:

That quote is full of bs.

Why would any pirate it? The singleplayer component consists purely of skirmish mode, and a campaign which is just a bunch of skirmishes tacked together. It’s essentially multiplayer only.

If anything the piracy will just help their sales once people get bored of the braindead ai

16. bob arctor says:

Thankyou for your descriptions guys.

My question for you is what is DotA like? As the only description of Demigod going is “is like dota ok?”

¬_¬

17. phuzz says:

@Schtee: I bought L4D from them for cheap, and then had to sit and watch while everyone else got to play and I had to wait. Apart from that ShopTo were great though.
    Personally I wish I’d just spent the extra and got it early (depends what chances you’re going to have to play it between now and when it’s supposed to get delivered)

18. Po0py says:

Has anybody reviewed it yet? I thought this thing wasn’t going to be released for months.

19. unclelou says:

Cheers, guys. As suspected, then – this focus on multiplayer is, albeit understandable, getting slightly irritating.

20. Ginger Yellow says:

I’m sitting out for a while until I’ve had a chance to play through Tales of Valour (I’m such a sucker for CoH content) and Rogue Trooper.

21. Bobsy says:

Ugh, what a horrible screenshot. It’s just a mess of lines and smudges.

22. Dominic White says:

Just a warning – this is one of those highly controversial games that can and will generate raging flame-wars at the drop of a hat.

There will be Angry Internet Men. Oh yes.

23. Heliocentric says:

Yeah, that screen shot is fugly.

The games art style doesn’t seem to have survived the transition from concept art well, or does it look better in play?

24. Lomsi says:

You wait years for a decent RTS to arrive and 8 come along at once… I’ve only just sunk my teeth into Empire.

I’m going to wait for reviews on this one, the last time I rushed out to buy a game before reading a review I ended up with Alone in the Dark. Oh, the humanity.

25. markcocjin says:

After reading up on Stardock as a publisher, it seems to me that they have been looking to pair and finance certain developers so they could have exclusives on Impulse.

It’s probably not like Gas Powered Games looked at all the publishers and picked the best one. It’s more of Stardock throwing them a bunch of money and saying “hey, make us a game okay!” Being pro-gamer and having that self-serving ten commandments of gaming is merely a business strategy they have for penetrating the market than actual genuine love for gaming.

It makes good business sense to give gamers what they want. I wouldn’t necessarily call them saints though. They could be a young Microsoft in the making.

26. SirKicksalot says:

Heliocentric – it looks a lot better, exactly like the concept art and early trailers, and the maps are extremely impressive:

It’s the most beautiful game since Rise of Legends IMO

27. Malcolm says:

@SirKicksalot

Umm, wow! I’m almost tempted to buy it on the strength of that screenshot alone!

28. Kieron Gillen says:

That really is one hell of a shot.

KG

29. Nick says:

Yeah, that is amazing.. I think I might buy it after seeing that.

30. unclelou says:

Great screenshot indeed.

So where *is* Jim’s release day review? Isn’t the official release day today? :-)

31. Butler` says:

Probably going to get this. I’m well up for some RTS-style goodness atm and this looks to hit the spot.

32. cyrenic says:

Note to publishers: If you have a strong digital distribution presence, don’t send advance copies of your game to Gamestop. I think Gamestop saw an opportunity to do two things: stick it to those fancy pants digital upstarts, and make some quick cash off the advance copies since they’re the first ones selling it.

I wonder how much money Stardock would have lost had they not sent any copies of the game to Gamestop. I suspect most traditional retail PC game buyers go to Walmart, Target, or Best Buy for PC games anymore (at least in the U.S.).

33. catska says:

Complete DoTA ripoff.

34. Okami says:

@catska: Actually it’s a complete Dune 2 rip-off, since DoTA is a Warcraft mod, which was itself a carbon copy of Dune 2..

35. NuZZ says:

The game wont even execute for me. Vista 64bit. I guess I will have to wait till it is fully released before the forums light up with more answers.

36. Benjamin Ferrari says:

I’m pleased to see that demigod’s terminology has already been integrated in the English language. In the forum Gnarl asked for a demi-demo, I wrote about it’s demi-price earlier, and it’s only a matter of time until someone desires demi-more .

Also, there is absolutely no argument you cannot counter with “DOUBLE SMITE”.

37. Kyr says:

@bob arctor
    Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a custom scenario for Warcraft III, based on the “Aeon of Strife” map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is to destroy the opponents’ “Ancient”. The two teams’ ancients are heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called “creeps”. As in role-playing games, players level up their hero and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.

Did this answer your question? :)

38. Deny says:

That’s coming straight from good ‘ol Wikipedia.

It’s still true though.

39. catska says:

@Okami
    DoTA was a pretty original mod and has a gigantic community. The entire reason this game exists is stardock and GPG trying to capitalize on someone else’s success by making a retail version of the game. Reminds me of Valve buying out CS and putting it on store shelves.

40. Chris says:

@Okami

War3 may be a ripoff of Dune 2.. but Dota is not. Using the same engine in an entirely new way is an entirely new game. Look at Q3 and Unreal

41. viper34j says:

@NuZZ

Do you use Comodo Security software? If so, you’ll have to disable the Defense+ active scanning thingama’jigger to launch the game.

Check the official forums, there are a couple stickied threads under the tech support section that deal with the game not starting.

42. Benjamin Ferrari says:

“he entire reason this game exists is stardock and GPG trying to capitalize on someone else’s success”

Obviously, but I really don’t understand why you make this sound like a bad thing? Like Okami said: Warcraft 3 was as similar to dune 2 as Demigod is to DotA. Or Halflife to Doom.

Building on existing ideas is the basis on every kind of process. That’s how it should be.

43. Tei says:

I give this game 2/5 stars.

44. Walsh says:

Why do you give this game 2/5 stars?

45. Benjamin Ferrari says:

“I give this game 2/5 stars.”
    Wow that’s generous because now you have only 3 stars left!

46. RichPowers says:

I give Demigod 39/103 stars.*

*Discloser: I have not played Demigod

The Three Moves Ahead crew devoted an entire podcast to Demigod if you’re interested. They quasi-review the game and discuss how it compares to the boardgame Titan.

47. Tei says:

@Walsh:
    Maybe is not a bad game, so I don’t want to write my full opinion. The original DoTA is a RPG mod on RTS engine. This one feel like a RTS mod in a FPS engine. It probably has not pathfinding problems because the maps are lame simple.
    But the game deserve some atention, and lets wait and see, … maybe zillions will love it. who knows?

48. NuZZ says:

@viper34j
    Yo, yeah I always have it disabled anyway. Besides, I closed the app altogether with no success… I will have to check the forums again, ty.

49. Okami says:

The point I wanted to but then didn’t make, because I just couldn’t be bothered to write complicated stuff in a foreign language, was the following: “Ripping Off” is the foundation of game development. Whole genres get created by one developer “ripping off” another one.

Of course the original Warcraft wasn’t a carbon copy of Dune2 using different sprites. It had such innovative features as selcting multiple (up to FOUR) units at a time, not having to open a menu screen every time you wished to build something and creatures beeing able to heal other creatures.

But it’s fair to say that Warcraft would likely never have existed without Dune 2. And while it’s fair to say that Demigod wouldn’t exist without DotA, it’s still it’s own game, with it’s own improvements on the formula and it’s own visual style.

50. Garu says:

DotA was amusing, but the community was faith-in-humanity-crushingly bad. If those people migrate over to this then I will pass.

Comment on this story