Half-Life 2 Audio Replaced By Modder’s Voice, Internet Rejoice

By John Walker on September 17th, 2009 at 9:18 pm.

MyHero

So the internet has a new greatest thing. Earth’s best human, Trase, has created a Half-Life 2 mod where he replaces nearly all the game’s sounds with his own voice. And yes, it’s just as good as that sounds. Every weapon, vehicle, explosion, and enemy sound is now the vocal stylings of this lunatic modder. See below. Please, see below.

He’s nailed the shotgun. It’s spot on. Many sounds are. Others are just hilariously silly. Sadly he stopped short of dubbing over the character and NPC voices, for the remarkable reason that, “it would sound dumb.” Um…

It’s properly awesome, and you can get the mod from here. I’d love it if he’d also replaced the Combine’s squealy-beep noise, but then I want everything and I’m not prepared to pay. So, watch this. Then express amazement. Thanks to radomaj for the awesome tip.

, , , .

1. Psychopomp says:

Best
    Mod
    Ever

2. Matthew says:

I absolutely need to get this.

3. mejobloggs says:

Now this is something I just have to try. When’s it going to be added to Episode 1 & 2? *hopeful*

4. richmcc says:

The new combine machine gun effect is wonderfully satisfying, he should rent himself out for insomniacs. Few minutes of that noise next to my head and I’d be asleep in minutes.

5. Switch625 says:

Amazement: consider it expressed.

This is way, way funnier than it has any right to be. The buggy accelerating at 3mins 29 had me in stitches.

6. versailles says:

7. Mike says:

I loved the “pee-yow” of the crowbar on metal. Ahh. Just spent the whole video cackling wildly.

8. HolyShitMatt says:

Good on Trase. Creative and great if you want human sounds in your ears most of the time. I’m up for that.

9. Sartoris says:

Lovely <3

10. Cutman says:

I hate to make a lot of people hate me, but it’s things like this that make me hate the internet.

• Railick says:

You are Cutman, an evil robot designed by Dr Wilie to destroy man kind. Why would we hate you for doing what you’re programed to do? NOW GIMME YOUR SIZZORS

• Psychopomp says:

Why do you hate fun ;-;

• Railick says:

This makes me want someone to redo megaman with all new sounds made by a persons mouth :P

da da da da, da da da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da da daaaaa!!!

• CaptainHairy says:

Megaman with human sounds you say? I don’t quite have that, but in the meantime: try this

11. pepper says:

Basicly all the sounds i usually make when playing games ^_^. This is awesome. I was cracked up when i first heard all those sounds. Especially those mines dropped by the chopper, there crazy.

12. MrBejeebus says:

thats AWESOME.

13. Five says:

That was one of the funniest things i’ve seen in a long time

14. NoRCoN says:

I absolutely lost it when he attached the balloons in G-mod.

15. UnwiseTrout says:

Thank heavens it works with G-Mod, I was beginning to worry.

16. A-Scale says:

Bloody fucking hell i want to listen to this, but I’m at work on a computer with no sound card and neither my iPod nor my laptop can connect to the internet! DAMN IT.

17. Mahnsikir says:

Just sit there and make the noises yourself and just imagine its the mod making the sound effects, while ignoring your co-workers stares.

• Stabby says:

I do that with everything when I’m at work. Every click is an adventure.

18. Vinraith says:

This is one of those things that misses “stupid funny” and just lands over in “stupid,” at least for me. Still, that’s a lot of work for a joke whose target audience can’t possibly be that large. Good for him, I suppose, and for the folks that get a kick out of this kind of thing. Personally I’ll be sticking with stock audio effects the next time I play HL2.

• Railick says:

I really doubt it was all that much work.

Microphone (check) Free Audio Record program (check) Life of sound files for HL2 (check)
      click record, go ZAP , click stop. Save as (laser.mp3 or something. :P Next sound!

• TotalBiscuit says:

Yeah Railick, it’s pretty clear you’ve never done anything similar to this, it’s way more work than you might think. (And before you ask yes, I did a full suite of sounds for Savage 2 and it took bloody forever)

• Vinraith says:

@Railick

Even if it were as easy as you suggest, replacing every single sound in a 30 hour game would still be one hell of a project.

• Railick says:

Actually I have. I’ve done voice action for mods for Oblivion as well as replacing sounds in several older games. The only way it would be “hard” is if half life 2 had the sound files compressed in some sort of other file (I’m not sure I havn’t look at he file folder to see how they do their sounds)

Some games just have a bunch of midi files stored under a /sound folder and it is as easy as opening them up and just over writing them with a sound file that is exactly the same specs but with whatever it is you want.

With Oblivion I had to set the recording device up to a exact spec (I can’t remember its been over a year) so that it worked with the Oblivion mod editor but after that it was easy and these were full lines for characters in the game not just sounds for random crap. Had to record them over and over again to make sure they sounded natural, didn’t have any strange artifacts in them, didn’t have to much silence at the start and finish, didn’t have me taking a huge breath right into the microphone. Then I had to edit them to make sure they didn’t sound to tinny or woody :P THAT was a lot of work. (even more so becasue there are no files for you to replace you have to create NEW files with the correct naming scheme to mesh with the editor in Oblivion and it isn’t exactly easy to figure out then you have to load it onto the character in the editor and set it up to play at the right time ect)

• Railick says:

@vinraith – Just because the game is 30 hour’s long (Is HL2 30 hours long ? O.o) doesn’t mean there are 30 hours of sound in the game. He only replaced the sound effects no the speech. The sound effect for the machine gun could be literally 3 or 4 seconds long.

• John Walker says:

I AM A WRONG PERSON THIS EVENING

• Railick says:

I’m not being negative ! I never insulted the guy or said that what he didn’t wasn’t something that is worth while. I like it as a matter of fact and I think he did a good job. Alls I said is it wasn’t all that hard to do (just because it isn’t hard doesn’t mean it isn’t good. He had a good idea and put it into pratice who cares how hard it is)

• John Walker says:

Apologies Railick.

• Railick says:

None needed, I apologize for coming out sounding negative. I does seem like I was downing the man’s achievment but I didn’t mean it to seem that way. I think he did a good job.

• Railick says:

I love you Vinraith. Personally I’m just giving you a hard time. You’re my favorite person on RPS to be totally honest. I love reading your comments and getting into arguments/talks with you.

• Vinraith says:

I know you’re just giving me a hard time Railick, it’s what you do. I enjoy discussing/arguing with you, as well. I’m mostly upset because I appear to have lost John’s respect (assuming I ever had it) and I hold the guy in high esteem. Well, that and I really do feel that he’s misrepresented the tenor of my posting on this site. If it was any more positive with respect to PC games I’d be bankrupt!

• John Walker says:

No respect lost! You arrived with a big old downer in an upbeat thread. So when you call a thing that’s making people laugh “stupid”, it sort of spoils the fun people are having. Like rushing into a room of people all chuckling at a joke and saying, “I think that joke sucks.”

Relax! Have fun!

• Vinraith says:

So it’s more about timing and placement than it is about actual ratios of content (god I am such a scientist). Thanks, that actually makes some kind of sense. It’s my natural contrarian bent, I tend to rush to the defense of things when they’re getting slammed from all sides and throw a bucket of water on things when they’re getting praised from all sides. I’ll try to repress the latter tendency, just remember (when I inevitably fail) that it’s a very small percentage of my overall output.

• John Walker says:

I love you Vinraith! I’m sorry. I was wrong. We all love each other. Let’s all make PEW PEW noises together.

• Vinraith says:

I’m looking at this thing and suddenly feel like a terrible attention whore.

Ah well, love you too John, we shall celebrate with pew pew noises and financially irreconcilable purchases of The Longest Journey on GOG. :)

19. Arca says:

bdew bdew bdew!

20. Sonic Goo says:

I always suspected that many game sounds are made by people. Why drive out to a farm with a mike when you can just stay at your comfy studio and go moooooo?

21. LewieP says:

It reminded me of Jelly Car.

I <3 Jelly car.

22. Batolemaeus says:

I love how the glowing ball goes “bounce” if it bounces.
    The creator just won an Internets in my opinion.

23. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Oh man, this has to be the most ridiculous, and brilliant, mod ever.

However, I doubt I could play the entire of HL2 with it. After a while it would get absurdly annoying. Still, hat’s off to him!

24. Scandalon says:

Music is crap.

Many of the similar sounds don’t have enough differentiation.

It is, of course, still gloriously mental.

The choo-choo train made me laugh the most.

I think now we need to get the Unskippable guys to do the NPC voices. :P

25. Blast Hardcheese says:

I was in tears because of laughter by the time he drove the buggy around.

That said, this man is clearly insane and a threat to everyone around him. I mean, he might say “pew” and incite terror!

26. Dagda says:

For best results, imagine that you are listening to Gordon Freeman making his own sound effects.

27. James G says:

Delightfully silly, reminds me of watching my brothers play with action figures when we were younger.

28. Schmung says:

Oh lawks. I laughed like an idiot. Solid gold.

29. Lukasz says:

MUST REPLAY HL2 NOW!

and yeah plasma rifle sounds wickedly awesome.

30. ChaosSmurf says:

Urge. To. Install.

31. Morgy says:

Great stuff. Reminds me of the old kids’ show Ivor the Engine, all the sound effects in that were the narrator’s voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWk0BCeblQ

32. Stromko says:

I’d love to play Ravenholm with this, though he probably hasn’t redone the voices for the zombies.

Yes it’d sound dumb. That’s the point!

33. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Very amusing. Not amusing enough to get Half-Life 2, however. :P

34. LeFishy says:

BDEWBDEWBDEWBDEW

I love the internet.

35. Farewell says:

Reminds me of the a capella version of spelunker that someone cooked up:

36. Redd says:

The emperor is naked!

37. sinister agent says:

Yeah, I was thinking that too. It reminded me of Freeman’s Mind a bit. I didn’t find this half as great as most people here seem to have, but it was amusing enough I suppose. It’s probably a lot funnier playing it through yourself, too.

38. Heliocentric says:

I’m going to record a full audio replacement mod for planescape.

The voice talent will be provided by me, my 5 year old and my 2 year old. My 2 year old will be performing the role of the nameless one among others.

39. Octaeder says:

Downloading now.

And there go my plans to not replay HL2 for at least 6 months.

40. Tei says:

I played a mod like this one, but made with the voice a spanish humourist for doom2 ( chiquito de la calzada)… It was hilarious.

41. Rei Onryou says:

I didn’t know you could shoot the birds in HL2. This. Change. Everything!!!

BDEEW!!

42. Railick says:

Yes Rei this takes it to a hole nov-VA, LEV-O!

43. kalidanthepalidan says:

PEW PEW PEW! That was so funny! :)

44. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Enjoyably bonkers for about 3 minutes or so and definitely achieved its goal by making me smile. I especially loved the reloading sounds, particularly the revolver.

I’d seriously question the sanity of anyone who played the entire game like that though!

45. Metal_Circus says:

Stuff like this is why i’m glad mod scenes exist. Even though it is stark bonkers.

46. lumpi says:

Well let me be the probably 100th person in the comments to say that: This is how HL2 sounds to others when I play with headphones…

Awesome.

47. Small Ivory Knight says:

I can’t wait to see Gordon Freeman’s Mind move on to game number 2.

Also, you’re right. it IS way funnier thinking of freeman making the sounds. My favorite by far is the ‘bap’ of the pistol.

48. The_B says:

Basically, it’s the guy from Police Academy mod, right? AWESOME.

49. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Also this makes me want to watch the fake gun fight episode of Spaced.