Run RunMan, Man

By John Walker on October 2nd, 2009 at 3:30 pm.

I want this wall-sized in my house.

Huzzah! The lunatic primary madness of RunMan: Race Around The World is out, and it’s super-fun. You play little yellow blob RunMan, and you, well, run. Mostly to the right, smashing through obstacles and bouncing around the scenery. All displayed in child-like scratchy drawings that make my mind happy.

The game’s free to download, but you’re very subtly encouraged to offer donations to the creators, Tom Sennett and Matt Thorson (who can only be the son of Thor!). You should entirely do that.

Happy!

The levels embrace that Sonic-like balance of speed and progress, where slowing down is a failing, but bouncing in the wrong direction makes you a failure. Perhaps my main criticism is that they’re too short – it would be nice to have a bit more room and distance. Best of all are the chase levels where a giant beast of some nature is pursuing you, giving greater imperative to your progress than the high score. These require repeated practise to learn all the traps along the route, and give a bit more longevity to a level.

The music heard in the trailer does indeed make it into the game, all areas entertained by 20s/30s out-of-copyright jazz/blues, which is somehow the perfect accompaniment for a game about racing a yellow blob through a child’s scrawled world. Get yourself a copy from here.

They made this exactly the correct width for RPS - how could I not post it?

, , , , .

1. Ian says:

“Games for Cool Dudes.”

Brilliant.

Must try later.

2. Some Guy says:

brilliant cover

3. nine says:

The readme is entitled “Helpful Information in a Convenient Textfile.txt”. Brilliant.

4. GJLARP says:

I spent about 10 mins on this game. Very fun little game, though a greater sense of speed would be nicer. Sonic it isn’t, but if I had $5, I’d donate it to the 2 geniuses who made this :)

• Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

Yeah, it would be cool if RunMan just ran faster and faster the longer you could keep from bumping into anything. It’s a tad slow.

One brilliant game, though. Love the choice of music.

5. Premium User Badge Fede says:

The last image is awesome. :)
    Pure genius.

6. ForTheLulz says:

Awesome! Seems to be more of an homage to SMW2: Yoshi’s Island (especially the parts where Mario grabs a star and runs wild) than Sonic.

7. Theory says:

It was really good until the boss race. What were they thinking? I’m going to try hacking my save file and will report back with instructions if I manage it.

• Theory says:

Bugger it, I can’t be bothered. If anyone knows how to edit the file or has managed to beat a boss level, could they upload the save?

• TNO says:

I actually thought the boss chasey levels were the best ones (much like the article states). Some trial and error going on, but the fact that a giant.. thing is chasing you adds a sense of urgency which motivates you to improve. Unlike the normal levels, where in my opinion the obstacles and promise of medals aren’t enough to keep things interesting or challenging.

• Theory says:

I eventually managed to memorise and push the required sequence of buttons. Here’s the save.

Cannot understand why anyone needs “a sense of urgency” to enjoy this game!

• Gnarl says:

I have to agree with the boss level dislike here. It’s not so much their being hard to get past as it is the sheer inconsistency of them that bothered me enough to stop. I mean either have hazards just slow me down, making the goal medals (which I think I’d prefer), or don’t, making simply getting to the next level the point. Shame, as it was otherwise fun.

Although the music irritated me, but I think that was because it reminded me of Juno.

• Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and just say it: if you can’t manage the boss levels in RunMan, I’m not sure how you’re even able to tie your own shoelaces.

This is absolutely NOTHING compared to pretty much any other platformer out there.

Either you people weren’t around when the rest of us were playing platformers on NES/SNES/Genesis, or you’ve gotten horribly dulled by playing the very forgiving games of late.

Yes, I get it, this isn’t supposed to be hard, and I agree, but the fact of the matter is that it simply isn’t hard. At all.

8. Vague-rant says:

Only done 1 zone but I like it alot. I appreciate that there is no death (bar the bosses) so no real annoyances and all mistakes just slow you down.

The bosses are a nice change and provide urgency as TNO said, but it hasn’t been too difficult (first boss took 2 tries). The thing is though that its good that urgency is completely your choice. If you want to push for the medals you can and if you don’t, then you don’t need to. The ghost is a nice touch with this in mind, but an online top score might also be a good idea. In the end though, RunMan seems to be a good counter to the ‘skip level’ button; easy for the casual gamer to get by and reach the rest of the game but tricky to a more competitive crowd.

9. Flobulon says:

Adorable.

10. Zich says:

Just finished it about an hour ago, brilliant game and the ending makes you warm and fuzzy inside :D
    Only complaints I have is the moving sawblades in a couple of the levels which are really annoying :?

11. Theory says:

…and I’m already at the next boss race. :(

12. Tangy says:

“The music heard in the trailer does indeed make it into the game”

This makes me very happy indeed; downloading at the moment. I love their website, in an “AAAAARGH MY EYES” kind of way.

13. Günter says:

I was fine with the boss levels until that goddamned twister. Not only had I never encountered theNinja enemies before, but they were really fucking hard to get past on the first try, and there was one every ten seconds! Combined with me discovering, in the most infuriating way possible, the bug which causes RunMan to (sometimes) stop moving when you release the sprint button, that twister caused me I quit the game in a blinding rage.

I was never good at Sonic the Hedgehog, so maybe this just isn’t my sort of game. It is absolutely lovely outside of the Twister, though.

14. Günter says:

Augh, those typos are going to drive me insane. Where have you gone, my beloved Edit Button?

15. Andy says:

Did anyone else think all the other monster’s were in shock because it looked like the blue monster’s catipillia shapped cock was stuck out?

16. Bobzy says:

Well thanks, now I can’t unsee it.

17. Collic says:

Absolutely brilliant little game. The sound track makes it a thousand times better in that strange way when it all just seems to click perfectly.

18. MD says:

Hahah, this looks wonderful. Downloading now, here’s hoping it lives up to the presentation. Also, HOW DID THEY KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT ME

* I am a lame dude who only likes to support lame games
    * I like to mooch off society
    * I have a long-standing grudge against Tom Sennett and/or Matt Thorson
    * I am broke
    * I am a bad person

• Kua says:

I felt very genuine guilt and shame (dread, even) as my cursor moved towards the download button.

19. Thants says:

It took long enough before someone else realized what Fallout 3 had figured out: 20s and 30s out-of-copyright jazz/blues is awesome in games. And you can use it for free.

• Hypocee says:

OT, but you might be surprised at what’s not ‘out-of-copyright’ – see Sita Sings the Blues.

20. Poltergeist says:

Nothing like playing this baked at 4 in the morning. Great fun.

21. Vinraith says:

Adorable, clever, and a lot of fun, at least until the boss race. I iterated the “try, fail, memorize, repeat” thing about half a dozen times and then got sick of it. It’s a shame, because the game is great, but I just don’t have much tolerance for that kind of thing.