Rolling Off The Production Line: The Ball

By Jim Rossignol on November 12th, 2009 at 4:25 pm.

Thanks to those readers who pointed out that The Ball, an Unreal Tournament 3 mod that’s featured heavily in the current Make Something Unreal competition, is now set to be released as a commercial product in Spring 2010, according to the official site. Presumably Toltec Studios are now taking advantage of the new UDK stuff (judging by this UDK demo), and working the mod into a standalone game over the coming months. A new “combat focused” version of the mod has just been released, and that’s going to be the last version of the previously puzzle-led mod before it’s available as a full game.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jakkar says:

I’ve never played it, but am I the only one who felt slightly unpleasant upon reading that the puzzle-centric mod had re-emphasises around combat?

I guess I shed a tear for variety. I prefer combat focused games, but see so little else..

2. Heliocentric says:

There is a market for combat focused puzzle games.

3. Tim James says:

Games journalists have been thrilled and excited by every first person shooter mod that involves a ball since QPong.

4. Risingson says:

I just write here to praise the new “V” for recovering this, one of my favourite scifi/horror gadgets: the evil floating ball. And we could make a poll to chose our favourite. Mine is from Phantasm.

5. tycho says:

Anyone else think the ball in the artwork above looks similar to the Roller Mine from HL2?

Maybe it’s just me…

• Damien Stark says:

Not just you. I immediately thought – “Wait, I thought this was an Unreal mod, not a Half-Life 2 mod…”

6. sana says:

A ball with glowing dots, what a scoop!

So, how is the combat going to work? Will there be guns? Or will it involve rolling over baddies with the ball?

7. Setheran says:

Jim Rossignol said:

Just to clarify, the mod's gameplay as a whole hasn't changed focus and the only difference in the earlier levels is another layer of polish. This latest release just happens to include a new level with some new combat-based features (such as the sticky mines covering the ball in the screenshot),so the mod as a whole is still very much puzzle-led – and well worth a look now that it has maybe 4-5 hours worth of gameplay to it.