Red Faction Armageddon’s Trailer Is Ok

By Jim Rossignol on June 5th, 2010 at 8:25 am.

A new Red Faction game might be something to be excited about since Guerilla was such a laugh. This new game isn’t looking much like its sandboxian prequel however, as you can see from the trailer below. There’s also a preview website up here, with a stack of screenshots and smattering of information. Seems that an apocalyptic cult has risen on Mars and drive the colonists underground. For hot tunnel-shooter action? I am only guessing. The game is due March 2011.

, , .

1. Seth says:

Dead Space Guerilla!

Resident Faction!

2. Mistabashi says:

Well, it certainly seems to be keeping up the Red Faction tradition of having each game bear absolutely no resemblance to the last…

3. Miles of the Machination says:

I’ve got this feeling they’re going to do the same thing that they did with RFG. The game won’t work because they tried to make a silly and arcade-y game serious, with a shitty story and irritating mechanics. For that matter, why don’t they just make Saints-Row Underground. I think that would be great, even the lame title pun carries its own weight. Anyway, I’m just cynical.

4. Manley Pointer says:

Seeing that gave me a lot of ideas about combining massive environmental destruction with an atmospheric horror game in a tunnel. Just kidding, I have no idea how that could work at all.

Unless you were always nervous about destroying too many key supporting structures and causing a catastrophic cave-in…nah, they probably wouldn’t do that.

5. Crush says:

You can blow up stuff underground too (the trailer even shows it towards the end) so I cant imagine it will be a corridor shooter, it would be pretty nuts for Volition to change what made this restart of the franchise a success.

on a side note did anyone else get an slight Avatar vibe from the trailer, the main character sort of looks like Jake Sully but the pacing and the audio of the trailer also follows that of one of the trailers made for the Avatar movie (the one with no dialogue) probably hard to find now cant see it on Apple trailers anymore, just thought that was interesting minor copy from Cameron theres even an exo-skeleton in the Red Faction trailer.

6. Stromko says:

Well, Metro 2033 was such a huge success, so let’s move this underground and make it completely linear and constrained. Well, those last two might not actually happen, but it’s about the only way they could make a Red Faction game scary so I’m afraid it’s possible if they’re going the horror route.

7. Tom OBedlam says:

Did anyone else think they spotted the Singularity Time Manipulation Device in there?

8. Xikuan says:

Guerilla was such a laugh

Huh, I enjoyed RF: Guerilla a hell of a lot.

I guess that’s the plus side of being a new comer to the series, I took the game for what it was, and not base my opinion of it on a previous title in the series…..

RFG was FUN, it had it’s flaws, but for the sheer fun factor alone it rated highly in my books……

DarkNoghri says:

I think you misread that quote. In the context they used it, being a laugh is a good thing. “It was loads of fun, so a sequel is an exciting thing.” That term also means it may not have taken itself seriously.

• MWoody says:

Hrm, must be a US/UK difference, then. In the ‘States, something being “a laugh” is almost universally insulting.

• Nick says:

Yes, it can mean that in the UK too, but not usually in that way.. it would have been phrased differently.

• The Hammer says:

Huh, I did not know there was a difference at all! You learn something every day.

• BeamSplashX says:

I got their meaning of laugh from the fact that RPS gave it such positive coverage in the past.

I also shop at the Context Store, which is headquartered in the tunnels of Mars.

DarkNoghri says:

I hope the PC controls (mouse and keyboard) for the vehicles and mecha aren’t rubbish in this one. I played the first half the game struggling with steering obviously built for analogs before I finally broke down and configured my 360 controller for the game. I don’t know that I ever tried that for the mecha, though.

As for the mechs? Mouse sensitivity was INSANELY HIGH compared to all the other mousiness.

10. Pax says:

Red Faction: now with aliens. Also, there is no lava on Mars.

• Koozer says:

Oh my god I’m a geologist and didn’t click about the lava. Also, rumours about its redness are grossly exaggerated.

11. DrugCrazed says:

This is my concerned face.

I’m not sure. RFG was great fun in my opinion, and the fun part was that everything blew up. It won’t be the same underground. That was the mistake of the first one.

Chaz says:

Blowing stuff up in RFG was fun but the actual shooting guys type combat was a very lackluster experience, so if they’re heading more down the shooter route for this one then they really need to improve things.

13. Iokanaan says:

is the game industry’s pool of plots depleted? moving underground, finding you are not alone (on Mars, for crying out loud!), shooting everything to pieces (which, I guess, is a factor of this franchise that’s not to be meddled with, although we are indeed speaking of friggin’ mines!), wielding big ass weaponry and nothing but a vest, because preventing burns is something for women and firemen, extraterrestrials that look as if they were caught in a perforator and then dropped in a jar of syrup. ..bunch of clichés tied to together: thé formula for entertainment.

I’m going to play some more HL.

14. Bobsy says:

Why? Why, Volition? All you had to do was take Guerrila and make even more fun. You could have done it! But instead… this.

15. Muzman says:

Not having watched the video (quota saving) the premise sounds like the cheeky opposite of Gears of War.

16. Jimbo says:

Guerilla doesn’t work properly for me, it runs about twice as fast as it’s supposed to. It’s like trying to play Theme Park in the early 00′s all over again.

17. Tei says:

My version of RF:G must be broken: enemies spawn behind me, is very noticeable and make me *very* angry at the game, to the point I want to kill the programmers.

This looks like METRO: 2130, linear corridor shotter, with savepoints, time-to-quit events and boss with big hp bars.

18. MajorManiac says:

The game may prove to be amazing, but the trailer was under-whelming.

Seeing all those clichés put me off my appetite for this game. A bit like when you look at some sweets after having just filled up on choclate already. We have had too much of this stuff recently.

Personally I’d love to see them do another Saints Row game incorperating the destruction ability shown in RF: G.

19. Max says:

Putting red faction back under ground? Now would be a perfect time to reintroduce geomod to the game! But of course that won’t happen.

20. beatoangelico says:

Guerrilla was very well designed IMHO and I had a lot of fun with it, but this one looks awfully mediocre. Volition should know what made guerrilla so good, but instead it looks they are going in the opposite direction. Definitely not interested in a underground shooter with aliens.

21. DMJ says:

This is clearly not the sequel to the game that inspired the song “Space Asshole”.

22. ChaK_ says:

I thought guerilla was complete garbage

Horrible controle, broken gameplay, destroying building made of paper with a hammer is fun 5 seconds, and I mostly hate TPS

RF 1 was a blast, I loved it

23. Lucas says:

Pass. RFG2 please.

24. Gaming Laptops says:

I thought the trailer was pretty good – would have liked to see a little more of the action though. Trailer was a bit choppy and would really like to get my hands on the real thing – I don’t like choppy game play. But hey, it gets your attention which is the whole point of a trailer after all.

25. internisus says:

An open world game in tunnel networks sounds like a dream come true. Unfortunately, these “tunnels” look more like vague underground spaces. And aliens are a step towards the generic for the series.

26. adam says:

“A new Red Faction game might be something to be excited about since Guerilla was such a laugh. ”

Huh?

That game was better than this cookie cutter FPS will ever be.

• Vinraith says:

How are people not getting that “laugh” is a good thing here? Go look at RPS’s Wot I Think on RFG, they had a lot of fun with it.

27. Javaguy says:

I’ll probably be shouted at by Man Raised By Puffins for this, but, uh, I watched the trailer and thought http://tubedubber.com/#NO_HG5drmoY:6C0RmRGTePw:0:100:0:0:true

• MajorManiac says:

That was spot on. Dare I say better than the original.

• Moonracer says:

This seems like a big risk. Either they came up with some brilliant ideas to improve what was good about RFG and add something else by putting everything underground or they don’t want to spend the time and energy to make a proper sequel so are just slapping the title onto a crap linear shooter.

28. Bobsy says:

I think there may be a bit of anglo-american confusion over the phrase “Guerilla was such a laugh.”

When something is “a bit of a laugh” that means it was enjoyable, in a slightly silly, not-taken-entirely seriously way. It is positive crit.

29. GT3000 says:

British to American Gobbledygook Translator v2.0….

Intitalizing…

Please wait…

Enter Text..

“Guerilla was such a laugh. Brill.”

Boopity-Boppity-Beep!

Translation complete…

“Guerrilla was an enjoyable but silly romp. UNABLE TO TRANSLATE GIBBERISH.”

THANK YOU! HAVE A NICE DAY!

30. Todyo says:

How could you do RFG2? The EDF have been driven off and I assume Earth now has a grudging respect for Mars, so how do you get more guerrilla action?

I’d imagine a Martian civil war or maybe they’d attack the Earth (why they’d do that I can’t say).

31. aziztcf says:

This is Volition we’re talking about. “Now THEY’RE the bad guys! Huh? Fucking hell, what a twist!”