Obsidian To Develop Dungeon Siege III

By John Walker on June 7th, 2010 at 6:13 pm.

Siege Harder

Dungeon Siege III is to be created by the busy men at Obsidian. The company, having put out Alpha Protocol, now seem to be re-enforcing their previous role as a team who pick up other people’s projects and take them in new directions. After Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic II, they’re currently creating Fallout: New Vegas, and it’s just been announced they’re taking the reigns from Gas Powered Games on the RPG series.

The third part will be created with “input” from Gas Powered Games, which includes series creator Chris Taylor acting as an advisor during development. It’s going to be on consoles as well as PC, and will – rather excitingly – add a co-op multiplayer mode. It’s to be an action-RPG, with party members, and the Obsidian stalwart: key decisions to make that should affect the path of the game.

Taylor obligingly supports Obsidian for the press release:

“It has been a great pleasure to collaborate with Obsidian. They are a very talented developer who really knows what it takes to build a deep and engaging RPG experience, and I can’t think of a better group to continue the Dungeon Siege series.”

In return Obsidan CEO Feargus Urquhart says,

“It’s a distinct privilege and thrill to become a part of the DUNGEON SIEGE legacy. This partnership with Square Enix is a milestone for both Obsidian and the franchise, and the two companies’ strengths for compelling characters and storytelling will shine throughout DUNGEON SIEGE 3.”

There’s also a bunch of details about the story. Read!

Torn asunder, the delicate balance of power between the kingdom of Ehb’s powerful factions has fallen apart. As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness. Joined by a group of unique companions, you will travel through the striking land of Ehb defeating all manner of villains and beasts through a combination of heroic abilities, screen shaking magic and fearsome weapons.

Perhaps this will be the game that lets Obsidian shine as brightly as we all believe they can. It’s being published by Square Enix, and at this point there’s no release date being suggested.

There is, however, some artwork to look at. So look at it you will. Click for bigger versions:

, , , , .

1. Dan says:

I loved the first two games so obviously this is great news for me. I really hope Obsidian get it right.

2. Tei says:

Diablo 3 is NOTHING compared to this. *trhills*
    Kotor3 with guns.
    .. wait..

Also, Obsidian please more QA this time.

3. ChaK_ says:

*run in circle screaming*

i’ve been waiting DS3 for years !

Just not on console, I hope it won’t compromise our gameplay

• BigJonno says:

Oh, come on; this is taken “Oh noes, they’re going to dumb down our games for the consoles!” to new extremes. How much more could you simplify Dungeon Siege, really?

• Tei says:

” How much more could you simplify Dungeon Siege, really?”

Famous last words.

• Jeremy says:

Haha, brilliant Tei. Brilliant.

• teo says:

Dungeon Siege was alright when it came out but it was overrated. It’s not a franchise worth resurrecting

Stompywitch says:

The PSP Dungeon Siege was, to be generous, crap, with no difficulty to it and a buggy engine (At one point, a bug gave me about ten levels from just ten kills). By the end of the game, my archer was so powerful – without even trying to optimise – that she one-shotted the end boss.

So, while it’s not a low standard, it can’t be worse than that.

The relatively simple DS design – guide your character, they’ll handle all the fighting – could work well enough on consoles; if anything, they’d have to add a few more control features to it.

• Nick says:

“How much more could you simplify Dungeon Siege, really?”

See Space Siege for details.

• ascagnel says:

There were a few times I had to actually pause and give orders (some of the fights where you’ve got 8-10 baddies against your squad of 4, and limited health/mana potions post-boss), and just enough to find the game “not simple” (caveat — I was playing on the hardest difficulty).

That said, DS2 was borderline dreck (could never get into it all that much, although it looks fantastic if you check out what the WSGF folks did to it), and Space Siege turned me off entirely.

4. Vinraith says:

I never played the first one, but I quite enjoyed the second. The whole “party based Diablo-alike” niche is fairly vacant (the closest thing outside of DS would be Guild Wars, I guess, but that’s another matter entirely). Hopefully Obsidian will pull off something interesting, though I think they’re an odd choice. This kind of game doesn’t really require high-end writing and plot, and it lives or dies on well executed, interesting RPG mechanics and action. Usually Obsidian is reliably great at the former but a bit shaky about the latter. Still, there’s no reason to jump to conclusions, it could turn out great.

• Duke Nasty VI says:

Titan Quest was a pretty decent Diablo clone

• Vinraith says:

@Duke Nasty

Titan Quest wasn’t party-based, so I’m unsure why you’re bringing it up. There have been several good Diablo-alikes that were single character, including TQ, Sacred, and Torchlight, but I’m not aware of any others (again, outside Guild Wars) that gave you a full party to control.

• malkav11 says:

There really haven’t been any good party-based Diablo-likes that I can think of, the Dungeon Siege games included (although there’s at least one other with multiple PCs: Beyond Divinity). The problem, as far as I’m concerned, is fairly simple. Since Diablo-type combat occurs 100% in real time on a fast-clicky action basis, it’s not really possible to directly control more than one character. Which means other characters are relegated to being bots. And if they’re any good, you get Dungeon Siege, where you don’t actually have to play the game to succeed.

• Vinraith says:

@malkav11

Except that in Dungeon Siege 2, at least, you can pause and issue orders, and in my experience you pretty much needed to do exactly that in the later game. People always complain about Dungeon Siege games playing themselves, all I know is that if I took my hands off the controls after the first act the whole party died horribly.

• Vinraith says:

Actually forget “after the first act,” I distinctly remember getting ripped to shreds several times in the first real mission before I worked out better character builds and some proper luring tactics. DS2, at least, is quite a challenge, and refreshing because of it. I never had a sense that what I was doing didn’t matter just because of the allied AI.

drewski says:

The Icewind Dales series, if you’re prepared to go back a bit, is basically a single player party based Diablo, although with the restrictions of AD&D2′s wonkiness.

Also developed by Black Isle, whose members formed Obsidian, which is making Dungeon Siege 3, so, y’know, serendipitous.

• Vinraith says:

@drewski

Good point, I played and enjoyed the original Icewind Dale (and IWD2 is still on the “to play” pile) and hd simply forgotten about it.

I’m sure Obsidian can produce an interesting entry in the series, but I do worry about their recent history with technical and gameplay flaws in the context of a game that is more mechanics-driven than story-driven. We’ll see, obviously.

5. ChaK_ says:

BTW sleeping a bit late or something today RPS?

6. Jimbo says:

This could be just the thing for Obsidian. Very simple but compelling gameplay, with ample opportunity to expand the story side of it if that’s what they want to do. This could be Obsidian’s Dragon Age, if they want it to be.

• DrGonzo says:

What, 30 hours too long with dodgy voice acting?

• Jimbo says:

How droll ;-) I meant in the sense that Obsidian tends to follow Bioware’s lead one way or another.

Thing is, Dragon Age turned out to be about as successful as Mass Effect 2 was (both around ~3 million copies sold iirc), which I think probably surprised a few people. Now, Mass Effect 2 is without doubt totally beyond anything Obsidian are capable of producing (in terms of quality), but Dragon Age probably isn’t.

If they make a straight sequel to Dungeon Siege then I imagine it will flop almost as badly as Space Siege, but if they take it in the direction of Baldur’s Gate / Dragon Age, then plenty of people will be interested. Dragon Age has proven that market still exists.

• DrGonzo says:

Yes that was quite trollish of me. I did actually quite enjoy Dragon Age, just found the American accents a bit too much to bare for most of the game.

I think you are quite right about that, though I find it very hard to believe this will be anything other than a hack ‘n slash game. Dragon Age, and also The Witcher, have proved there is a market. But, I think the fans would be quite miffed if they took the game in such a different direction. (Although I would love them to!)

• jackflash says:

“Droll,” not “troll,” dude.

7. PleasingFungus says:

I lost faith in Obsidian a long time ago.

(That is some very pretty concept art, though.)

• Dreamhacker says:

I’m with Fungus. Obsidian hasn’t done anything good since… well, ever. Sorry guys, but you can’t compare to Bioware.

• DrGonzo says:

Planescape > Baldur’s Gate

• Corporate Dog says:

And ‘telegraph > smoke signals’?

I dig Obsidian, but their name’s become a little tarnished in the 11 years since ‘Planescape: Torment’.

• jackflash says:

Also, technically speaking, PST was not an Obsidian game.

• Marar Patrunjica says:

How about Kotor 2 > Kotor 1 then?

• Lukasz says:

how was not NWN2 superior to NWN1 (SP only. never played mp)

• admanb says:

I find it more relevant that with all their huge successes and solid development teams, Bioware has never done anything that compares with what the people now at Obsidian did in their day.

Obsidian has a lot of talent, but they need better organization.

• jeremypeel says:

Buggy, part-fantastic, part-broken, nearly inspiring games. Yeah, it’s all true. But I’m telling you now, if Obsidian crashed and burned tonight, we would all be telling our grandkids about them; they’re the great not-quite-theres.

Troika did it – the fact that they made great, unfinished games and then imploded makes them The Libertines of RPG development with the cult following to match. If Obsidian would stop insisting on getting these big-name sequels that save the company, they could achieve the same level of flawed majesty.

Just sayin’.

• Corporate Dog says:

@Marar Patrunjica: There are plenty of folks for whom the KotOR comparison doesn’t hold water. I think the two games are equitable; the nuanced look at The Force and shades-of-grey that the sequel introduced were interesting, but they didn’t exactly scream, “This is Star Wars!”

The pieces that were left on the cutting room floor, were also fairly apparent.

And, quite frankly, I liked Bioware’s characters better.

@Lukasz: I’ll grant you that one (NWN1 vs. NWN2), with the caveat that NWN1 got better in the expansions. I don’t think I’m really exaggerating to say that NWN1 initially had a multi-player focus in mind, and the robust toolset reflects that.

8. Prowlinger says:

Fantastic! I just hope that they rework the skills and depth of the core skill sets, attributes, elementals, weakness etc…

DS1 and DS2 had a GREAT engine and content but the RPG element and lack of deeper skill design made DS very dull after initial play. Add in reason for skills, skill variations, a more complex system of stats, something closer to Diablo or WoW instead of Torchlight… and it will rock. Sure it was designed as a simple RPG but simple was a mass underwhelming statement….

Glad to see it come alive again with new hope!

9. Navagon says:

I wish I could be more interested, but Obsidian has never really lived up to their potential thanks to egotism, mismanagement and a complete inability to restrain project scope to within the allotted time frame. This one will need many a patch, and that’s being optimistic.

10. sfury says:

THIS IS MADNESS!!!

• sfury says:

p.s. never been a fen of the first two titles but would be interesting what Obsidian manage to do with this – so far I’ve liked their sequels more than the originals

11. Dan says:

Do you think Jeremy Soule will return for the soundtrack?

12. Bureaucrat says:

There is much that can be said– both good and bad– about Obsidian’s track record in the games they’ve produced as a developer. But leaving that aside, they have been very savvy about how they’ve positioned themselves as an independent game developer, which are getting increasingly rare these days. Between the failure of Troika and Bioware’s merger with EA, Obsidian is now pretty much the only place for a publisher to go to if they have a property that they’d like made into a western-style RPG. CEO/co-founder Feargus Urquhart’s background before setting up Obsidian was in-house at Interplay, producing their own games, but also working with independent developers (most notably, Bioware). It’s a testament to his management and connections that the company has managed to stay independent and in-business, in spite of their record of compelling-but-flawed games.

Sagan says:

I haven’t played the first two games, but I’m always happy to see a new game announced by Obsidian. Let’s hope it has a proper story and proper characters, and isn’t too action-RPG-ish.

14. Ashen says:

So, a developer known for branching story-heavy games is now doing a sequel for a generic fantasy Diablo clone with no story whatsoever that almost played itself?

Wait.. what?

Gabbo says:

Well hopefully it stops playing itself this time around.
      Happy to see Obsidian getting work. Good games marred by broken elements/Lucasarts tend to kill studios before they get this many shots.

• Snidesworth says:

Obsidian write great stories. They make terrible, imbalanced and incomplete games. Them handling a game that’s part of a series that’s always focused on mechanics will either result in them learning how to make games or cocking everything up royally.

15. JohnArr says:

I’m confused by a lot of the news sites saying they’re adding co-op for the first time; DS2 let you play through the whole campaign with up to 5 other people, and DS1 had dedicated multiplayer areas?

• DrGonzo says:

That confused me too.

• Metalfish says:

This is called press release journalism. Why bother looking up the prequels on wikipedia? It’s not going to get your little news article any more hits.

/Not a moan at RPS, btw -loads of sites do this.

Gabbo says:

This also jumped out at me. Must be for the console crowd who hasnt played either?

• ascagnel says:

DS1 did have dedicated MP arenas (a good bit of fun with friends). If I remember right, due to the “no loading” nature of the game, they actually began to run into Lorentz transformations on dedicated servers.

• Josh W says:

Sorry? Lorentz transformations? How interesting…. Where can I find a link for that?

16. Fergus says:

Obsidian may very well be the biggest and most famous producer of games are “not as good as [insert predecessor here]“.

And now they’ve picked up the next installment of the game franchise which is “not as good as Diablo”. Oh brother.

17. Dominus says:

meh, DS3 is nice, coming from Obsidian, I hope they’ll manage to create a great game

but, I would have loved to hear that they’re doing Icewind Dale 3 instead..

18. pakoito says:

Kotor3, NWN2 and Alpha Protocol…Yeah. No. Moving to next game.

19. Lobotomist says:

Trainwreck waiting to happen

Obsidian is great developer. For making awesome mindbending story and deep rpg.
    But they are absolutely horrible in making polished gameplay , graphic animations. And even worse when it comes to making their own engine.

Anything else would be much better for Obsidian. Just not Action rpg hack and slash.

Poor decision :(

• Tei says:

You are right, but challenge is a good root cause for change. Maybe this made or unmade Obsidian?

• Lilliput King says:

You don’t think we might be overdoing the “Obsidian write good stories” thing?

It’d be a stretch to call KoTOR 2, NWN 2 or Alpha Protocol “mindbending.” Try “just about competent.”

20. Zinic says:

I’m somewhat skeptical of what Obsidian is actually capable of anymore. I think most of what they have going for them is that most of them were from Black Isle.

Instead of going for developing another title, I think they should instead step back and take a good, long, hard look at what they’ve done so far and get their act together. They need to stabilize their development process and figure out their management before taking on any more projects.

That said, I still want to see if this will be the game that truly shows the talent that we all know that Obsidian has.

21. Xurathar says:

I really liked the two first games too (They were somewhat my first Action RPG’s, if you can call them that, excluding as always Diablo 1 and 2), and Obsidian have a good name (Or I thought they have, people seem to have changed their mind) in RPG making (I really loved NWN2 and and KOTOR2) so let’s see what they do with the franchise.

I will welcome the game if it has isometric perspective, there’s never enough isometric!

PS: Where is Baldur’s Gate 3? Too many years without rumors TT.

22. Mac says:

Looking forward to a game with some great concepts, but released 12 months too early as a bug ridden mess only to be patched up by the community from random files on the disc … sound familiar?

23. RuySan says:

What a waste of talented people. So, are Obsidian coming up with a better version of this series of screensavers?

24. suibhne says:

Huh.

I mean…

Huh.

This would rank up there with id doing The Sims 4.

25. Risingson says:

Dungeon Siege was a good, addicting, captivating game. Icewind Dales and Torment (made by the obsidian people, IIRC) were excellent games, all of them. And I guess that neverwinter 2 was very good and kotor2 was too. I mean, I really don’t understand that hate against obsidian.

And I bet all my belongings that, in case Obsidian closed, you, people, you [now I'm pointing at you dramatically] will whine about it as much as with Troika games. “Oh Bloodlines, what a game though at the time I bashed it” and so on.

You are lucky that I know the real truth.

• subedii says:

Not me. Personally I hated Arcanum, and never played Bloodlines.

Meanwhile, I’ve only played one Obsidian game, and that’s Alpha Protocol. And I think it’s freaking awesome, and definitely way underrated for a few issues that are found in much greater supply in games like Fallout 3. Except that aside from having horrible character models, animation and mediocre shooting mechanics, it also lacked any actual good story or dialogue or characters (and I’m saying this as someone who really ENJOYED Fallout 3).

I suppose I might be a bit biased since I was a Black Isle fan back in the day and thought Planescape: Torment was awesome as well.

Coming to the game at hand, Dungeon Siege had solid gameplay but a quite frankly lacklustre story (no matter how many times Chris Taylor may talk about the “epic story” they’ll have for their games, they desperately need to hire proper writers). If they can combine the best aspects of GPG and Obsidian, then this could be a really exceptional title.

If the reverse happens of course, we may have to kill it with fire.

• Kryopsis says:

“Obsidian Entertainment: dividing the PC gaming community since 2003.”
      Personally I really like their work and yes, the Troika Games comparison is very apt. Arcanum is one of my top three favourite games.

• Lukasz says:

@subedii

Never played Bloodlines…

I envy you and pity at the same time. Do it. Steam or local retail shop.
      get it.

should he start with unofficial patch? So conflicted…
      It worked flawlessly for me with official one so i say no.
      leave it for second playthrough.

don’t come back till you beat the game twice.
      :D

26. MWoody says:

Am I strange in that I loved Diablo and most Diablo-alikes (Torchlight, Titan’s whatever, etc) but couldn’t STAND Dungeon Siege? The games just seemed so soul-crushingly bland and poorly designed.

• Risingson says:

Dungeon Siege was actually about enjoying the fast advances and the beautiful landscapes. And the also beautiful Jeremy Soule music. It’s just forward, forward, forward. I loved the simplicity in it.

• Archonsod says:

Funnily enough I found the Diablo series about as interesting as watching paint dry but didn’t mind Dungeon Siege.

• RuySan says:

No. Just because a game is Action-RPG doesn’t mean it has to be boring and dull. Diablo is awesome, DS is awful.

27. Vetotat says:

I’ve only played DS1, which I thought was terrible. I have mixed feelings about this one (DS3); hate the DS-series, love Obsidian. If Obsidian can turn this in to a good [action]RPG while GPG provides a stable technical base, this might be a very interesting game.

28. Fumarole says:

But will it have Burt Reynolds?

29. MTekSoldier says:

While NWN2 was a bit of a miss, I thought Mask of the Betrayer more than made up for it.

30. jeremypeel says:

Again? Really? I kinda liked that stance in The Witcher, I put up with it again in Dragon Age as I’d been waiting for that game for many years, but again? I’m not sure I can stomach it.

• jeremypeel says:

Huh, so that’s how you don’t do quotes. Was referencing this:-

“As one of the few remaining members of the disgraced protectors of the land, the 10th Legion, it is up to you to rebuild the once great Legion and stop Ehb from falling into darkness.”

31. benjamin says:

This is SPARTA

32. Zoe01 says:

Obsidian is my no1 RPG developer. I have faith in them.

For me: PS:T > BG1 and 2
    KOTOR2 > KOTOR1
    NWN2>NWN1
    Alpha Protocol > ME 1,2

And I don’t care about production values and bugs (since they were never game breaker for me). For me RPGs are about: storytelling, strong characters, great dialogs….

Obsidian blows away Bioware in my eyes ;)

And I don’t care about haters (or BIO fanboys) ^^

• subedii says:

Personally I might rate AP above Mass Effect 1, not so sure about Mass Effect 2. True the main story wasn’t really there, but they were focussing it far more on the characters anyway, and Mass Effect 2 had some really good characters.

• Zoe01 says:

Not that I hate Bio games either, no, I think they’re great, just that i enjoy Obsidian’s (BIS) works more. Personal tastes, I think. :)

The only thing I REALLY hate when Bio fanboys (or Bethesda’s) are bashing Obsidian for no reason. Ok, their games are not as “pretty” as BIO’s, and they lack the polish… But what most people don’t realise is that Obsidian is a waaay smaller studio, with less man power, with less budget. And there is no giant studio behind them (*khm EA khm*). But still, they are doing great so far… and they produced some real gem. :)

• Droniac says:

I don’t think it’s down to Obsidian’s lack of manpower, but their immense workload. They tend to work on a lot of games at the same time, which almost certainly stretches their 135-strong staff pretty thin.

At this point in time, BioWare has nearly four times the manpower and is working on three games that we know of (Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Star Wars: The Old Republic). At the same time, Obsidian is also working on three games that we know of (Dungeon Siege 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Wheel of Time). And it’s important to note that all three of those games are based on major existing IPs, so they’re not only likely to sell more copies than any original IP, but they’re also likely to be more important for their public image than something like Alpha Protocol. I wouldn’t be surprised if the lack of polish on Alpha Protocol is down to more polish going into Fallout: New Vegas.

Also you forgot to mention both NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer and Dragon Age: Origins. MotB is recent proof that Obsidian can in fact deliver high quality, well polished, games that don’t require a million patches. And Dragon Age: Origins is better than all BioWare games mentioned save for Baldur’s Gate.

drewski says:

Oi, leave Bethesda out of this.

33. mejobloggs says:

DS 1 was fantastic. I especially liked the separate multiplayer map. Was nice to be able to play through single player, and have something new to do multiplayer

DS 2 was a let-down imo. Too simplified, and multiplayer was the same map which was just lame :(

34. Nimic says:

I loved Dungeon Siege, the original. It also featured some absolutely spectacular music.

Here’s a short clip of the main theme. I love it. I think music factors heavily into me liking a game or not, as almost all games I love have great music.

35. Kryopsis says:

@Stompywitch:
    The iPhone version of Command & Conquer: Red Alert was rubbish yet it has nothing to do with the quality of the 1996 PC version. What does the PSP version of Dungeon Siege have to do with anything?

36. PHeMoX says:

Hmm, not so sure about Square Enix as publisher, but Obsidian should be able to make a great Dungeon Siege III.

Hopefully they drop the more linear approach of Dungeon Siege II though and make it into a more open world like the first game.

37. Boris says:

They got lots on their plate those guys. WoT game, FO:NV and now this. Here is hoping they all turn out better than Alpha Protocol.

• Zoe01 says:

AP is a great game… just not for people like: “OH MY GOD UGLY GRAFIKS” and people like “IT’S NOT BIOWAREEEE SO IT SUCKS!!!44″

I really hate those people…

• Corporate Dog says:

@Zoe1: I think those people only exist in your head.

There might also be fragments of such characters (voice and model assets, but no quest data) hidden on the Alpha Protocol disc.

• Adventurous Putty says:

Sorry, Dog, I’m afraid they DO exist — I’ve just come out of having a conversation with one IRL. I don’t even know why I bother.

AP is fucking amazing, by the way; you should all try it out, and anyone who claims otherwise is raving mad.

38. malkav11 says:

This whole affair quite baffles me. We have the combination of Square Enix, most storied creators of JRPGs, Obsidian – best western-style RPG makers extant, and….the most boring PC RPG franchise ever made?

Why?

What exactly about the Dungeon Siege name draws this caliber of attention? I mean, Obsidian would have to do very little indeed to elevate the franchise out of its previous levels of bland-osity and boredom, but the previous games (PSP game not included – that one I quite liked) were almost as far from Obsidian’s core competence as possible. And also dreadfully dull.

Oh well. I can only assume it will be both a vast improvement over previous Dungeon Siege games and awesome in its own right, based on Obsidian’s track record to date.

• JuJuCam says:

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the headline. The whole combination just seems bizarre.

• Stromko says:

My first thought was that Obsidian couldn’t possibly make Dungeon Siege worse, so maybe they’ll be able to regain some prestige here. But, wait, SquareEnix? They’re terrible. There were some good games coming out of Squaresoft back in the day, but that was a long time ago and they’re miles away from good now.

• Risingson says:

Square Enix terrible? You don’t have a DS, do you?

• malkav11 says:

Honestly, I think Square Enix is just publishing the game, but it’s so weird for me to think of them as a PC game publisher. Even given that they bought Eidos.

39. DarkFenix says:

I hope the new development team allows the Dungeon Siege series to head in a different direction. I can sum up the previous two games in three words; “Diablo but boring”.

Diablo 2 is still the standout game in that style of action RPGs in my opinion. The characters were diverse and had wonderfully overpowered moves that only got even more ludicrous as you levelled up. Compare this to pretty much any other action RPG, you get one of two things in them. Either you get super-powerful abilities and can only use them once every 30 seconds or you get unimaginative, weak abilities that you can spam. Newsflash, these are PvE games, you don’t need to balance it perfectly.

40. JuJuCam says:

I don’t know if we can even judge the merits of this project based on the franchise since it’s been so long since a Dungeon Siege game came out, and there’s no way they’re even going to bother building on the same engine. I do have high hopes for this, I thought Alpha Protocol was an ambitious if flawed game released into a world of over-polished cookie cutter games. Obsidian deserve credit for at least trying something new and different, even if they tend to reach a little too far.

41. Melf_Himself says:

Ahh Obsidian. Turning the classic into the “not bad” since 2003.

42. Freudian Trip says:

“Perhaps this will be the game that lets Obsidian shine as brightly as we all believe they can.”

How much would other companies pay to have Obsidians rep? Fuck up as much as you like and still people will want your next game because of the ‘potential’ for it to be good.

drewski says:

Maybe if “other companies” put some effort into the kind of things that make gaming memorable, rather than just putting out another graphics whore wank fest, they might enjoy the sort of loyality and reputation bonus Obsidian get.

• Corporate Dog says:

If Obsidian was first in line for that particular deal with the Devil, I think Peter Molyneux was nipping at their heels to be second. ;)

• malkav11 says:

I don’t look forward to Obsidian’s games because they “might get it right this time.” I look forward to them because I have loved to bits every game they’ve made so far, and as far as I’m concerned they’ve been doing nothing but getting it right since day one. (Okay, I will admit that KOTOR II isn’t finished, but that one really doesn’t sound like their fault. and the 90% of the game that we actually got is brilliant.)

43. Dawngreeter says:

I might be spouting heresies here but I never really liked the first two games. I wanted to like them, I tried to like them but… I didn’t like them. Not exactly sure why that is.

That said, I have little confidence in results franchise juggling like this can produce. Even if it ends up being something I like more than the first two games, surely it’d be better if the game was aimed at people who are actually fans of the franchise? And staying true to the original never happens when another group of people take over.

44. Masked Dave says:

Are Gas Powered Games going to be making the engine for Obsidian to tell the story in? Because that seems like the perfect storm of action RPG gaming. Especially when its also published by Sqeenix.

45. b4dmash says:

Do they have a signboard on their front gate saying “Will do sequels for food (or money)” ?

46. Tim says:

Every game obsidian has released would have been fantastic if it had been finished (on release day).

Please let this be the one that they polish!

47. GriddleOctopus says:

*reins*, John, not *reigns*.