FFS: Ubisoft Delay PC’s Driver: San Francisco

By John Walker on August 11th, 2011 at 11:38 am.

In-game shots.

Wow – it actually happened. Eurogamer confirms that Ubisoft have delayed the PC version of Driver: San Francisco. This is after explicitly stating they would not.

To put this in perspective: When Ubisoft announced that Driver: SF would carry their detested and grossly poorly-conceived DRM, a community manager at the @drivergame account helpfully tweeted,

“Bear in mind though that the PC version of DRVSF is released simultaneously to consoles.”

Since then it’s been confirmed that the PC version won’t support wheel peripherals, and just Monday Ubisoft confirmed to us that there will be no PC demo. I was tempted to add in that post, “Now we just have to wait for the inevitable eleventh hour delay”, but that would have been poor form. Turns out it would also have been correct.

This follows on from the previous two very recent cross-platform releases from Ubisoft also being delayed on PC at the last minute. So it is that we still don’t have either From Dust or Call Of Juarez: The Cartel.

Driver: San Francisco was originally due to be released on the 2nd September in Europe. This will still be the case for the PS3 and 360 versions. But yet again (although admittedly with more than a week’s notice for a change) the PC version is being bumped by almost a full month, with no given explanation. It will now come out, along with its game-breaking DRM, on the 27th September.

Ubisoft’s sheer, unbridled contempt for the PC makes no sense. It’s a profitable market, and they like anyone else are capable of just ignoring it should they not want it. So what is their plan? What do they think they can gain from kicking around one of their player bases with such disdain? What is their motivation for consistently stating PC release dates that are almost never kept? I wish I could find out, but so far requests to interview anyone at Ubisoft who makes these decisions have not gone anywhere, and statements issued to us have completely ignored our questions.

Which leaves questions about other forthcoming Ubisoft games.

Naturally they’ve already delayed Might & Magic Heroes VI once, but as a PC-only game it at least seems likely it’s actually to improve the product. However, what DRM they will slap on it has yet to be announced. Being PC exclusive, I currently fear the worst.

And then there’s the excitement of Trackmania 2. A game we’re really pleased exists, but has seen the series change publishers from Digital Jesters/Focus/Enlight to Ubisoft. Again a PC exclusive, and it’s not as if Trackmania wasn’t without problems – it was at the heart of the StarForce nonsense. But it seems a real shame it could become similarly embroiled this time around.

Assassin’s Creed: Revelations is still, hilariously, listed as coming out on PC at the same time as consoles, on 15th November. Since all the previous versions have experienced last-minute, months-long delays by Ubi, I’ll eat my foot if it comes out within a month of that date.

Looking at next year, it’s Brothers In Arms: Furious 4 and Far Cry 3 that could be affected by the cross-platform divide.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Teddy Leach says:

I used to like you, Ubibum.

• McDan says:

Bumsoft.

• Similar says:

“I used to like you, Ubibum.”

yeah, they released Zombi, didn’t they? I liked that.

• Mitchk says:

Ubi Saft

• LionsPhil says:

Well, they (which is to say, the name, quite possibly not the people by now) published Mega Lo Mania back in 1992…

Oh, and Diablo, for those who like that sort of thing.

• westyfield says:

Poobisoft.

• StuffedCabbage says:

Ubi fucked

• Tei says:

Ubilogiciel

• Orija says:

Ubivision

• Antsy says:

I think Ubisoft has contracted a fatal illness and is misguidedly attempting to push us away in order to spare our feelings later. Well it’s working!

• Anton says:

Ubihard

• Hodge says:

Boo-bisoft.

And to be fair, they only published MegaLoMania by acquiring the rights when the original publisher, Mirrorsoft, went down the tubes about a month after the game was released. They sold it in a two-for-the-price-of-one pack with the similarly acquired First Samurai, engendering much schadenfreude in the gamers of the time.

Still, Zombi and Pro Tennis Tour were both pretty good, and there’s no qualifiers for those. Damn.

• Saldek says:

UbiSoftInTheHead

• Jimbo says:

n00bisoft

• minipixel says:

u be soft

• lijenstina says:

FU bis oft

2. skurmedel says:

Well you can’t get an interview because their PC strategy is decided by a chaotically evil gerbil on life support. It’s the only reasonable explanation.

3. Darkflight says:

They have quite the track record for it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440438

• innociv says:

Yeah. I was actually wondering earlier if some companies do this to get more preorders.

If you say a release date is soon, someone might preorder it thinking it’ll fill a time gap that they don’t have for playing something else(IE maybe you want to get RO2 to play to tide you over until BF3 comes out. Or, better yet, just play RO2 and forget BF3) then forget about it when it’s delayed a month.

4. Derppy says:

Oh wow, usually I’m pissed about companies screwing PC-gamers, but this Ubisoft stuff is getting so ridiculous it’s almost funny.

Seems like they are doing their best to get us pissed off, but I can’t be bothered to be mad when the game itself seems to be garbage.

5. Dasos says:

All aboard maties!

• Magnetude says:

That is not the appropriate response. Just don’t buy it, or buy it second hand

• TreeBeard says:

I agree that pirating the game is not the right way to react. See this wonderful comic: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/2/19/

• Ilinx says:

I loved the original Driver and was once giddily excited about this game taking the series back to its roots, but between the coma storyline, Ubisoft, DRM and this daft delay bollocks, I don’t even feel like I have to actively boycott the game or go down the piracy-for-a-point path. Nope, I’m just plain not interested any more. Good job there, Ubi.

• patricij says:

Does it matter any more? Right now, they are just one step from shoving a hot rod up our arses and two steps from not bothering releasing their games on PC at all! I am starting to wish they just do not bother, so we could all save some bandwidth (and you do not need to pirate it, necessarily, it is their bloody DRM) and stop being insulted by these idiots. It is not like we do not have enough indie games…

• ynamite says:

I say: fuck that! Pirate it just for the heck of it. You don’t even have to install it, just download it and let it sit on your harddrive for a while and then delete the POS.

It’ll make their illegal downloads graph have a good spike and also show them that their bullshit DRM isn’t worth a cent to protect their mediocore products. Seriously, do it this once just to piss in their salad.

• Magnetude says:

Ynamite: Their graph with two lines: sales and pirated copies. One goes down, the other goes up, we get even more oppressive DRM as a thank you. Nope, I’m going to wait for a Steam sale if I get this at all.

• ynamite says:

IF the sales go down because of the other. Something their stupid graph won’t show, that’s why their whole view of things is flawed, if anything.

• Xercies says:

The thing is i don’t even think they know how many people pirate there game, they just guess at a big number and think its that one.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

They just shouldn’t bother.

• Pinkables says:

That’s my thinking. Nobody is forcing them to release for PC. It’s nice that they are, but if they’re going to jerk us around then i’d rather be complaining about not getting a PC version at all.

• Wisq says:

Yes, absolutely. I’d rather than all Ubisoft titles just required a console, thereby putting them firmly out of my scope of interest.

This constant mocking of the PC community — with awful DRM, and broken promises of simultaneous launches, and eventually giving us crap ports anyway — is utterly ridiculous.

They are truly setting themselves up to be pirated via every means possible: Creating a worthy challenge for the pirate community, _and_ pissing off the regular gamers enough to “boycott” them in the now-traditional “I’ll play but I won’t pay” sense. I can’t see how this strategy is designed to do anything but allow them to make a graceful exit from the PC market in front of their shareholders.

I’m glad I’m already boycotting all Ubisoft titles in the proper way (not playing them) because I now need only continue that policy in light of this news.

7. hjarg says:

You know, it’s like they’re screaming out lout: Yarrrrr! Go torrent our games! Yarrr!

• cliffski says:

mmmmmm sausages………

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Seems in line with what every other Brit is doing these days.

• jon_hill987 says:

No. It’s like they are screaming “don’t play our games”.
      Have fun looting over the weekend did you?

[I'm sick of seeing the word "scum" being thrown around of late, and I won't tolerate it here - JW]

Apologies. It was not meant to be entirely serious, more to emphasize the point that this is no excuse for piracy.

• augustl says:

@cliffski: that’s not what the argument is about. It’s not about general disagreement, it’s about reasonable restrictions. To continue the metaphor, it would not be reasonable for the butcher’s shop to not sell pig meat on mondays even if it’s in their power to do so. Especially if they’re the only ones selling pig meat (i.e. selling Driver: SF).

• Dawngreeter says:

No, that’s not it at all. Phrased like that, it sounds like that ridiculous DVD anti-piracy video which says in big, bold, scary letters: “You wouldn’t download a car”. Of course I would, who wouldn’t?

Non-scarce products can not be taken, they are copied. Paying for a non-scarce product is in the category of tipping and/or gifting. Which is why Humble Indie Bundle works out so well.

• Deano2099 says:

More like the butcher’s shop is open on Mondays, but won’t serve you until Saturday because you have a funny mouth.

• Milky1985 says:

“really? because you cannot get the game on the exact terms you want, thats equivilant to them saying you should just take it?
      My local butchers shiop is shut on mondays. how inconvenient. its like they are asking me to smash a window and grab some sausages.”

Crap analogy number 8

Its not about being shut on monday, its closer to them saying “we will sell on tuesday to everyone , except the people from bracknell, they have to wait until thursday”

• Avenger says:

Using the same metaphor:

The butcher:
      Does let you in the shop.
      And when he does, you are supposed to fill out a 42 page application and request form.
      Forces you to only eat the meat within certain times and under the supervision of the butcher.

And you cannot use forks or knives or any other sensible equipment to eat the meat. You can only use toothpicks.

I would still not STEAL it.

What I would do, is to fling the appropriate amount of money towards the butchers face and grab the meat and run like hell. i.e, pay for it and then install no-DRM crack and perhaps a steering wheel mod

• hjarg says:

More like- treat me like a pirate and well… why can’t i act like a one then!

• Psico_Payaso says:

@augustl :
      Thats all nice and great and all and I do agree with parts of what you are saying here..but!
      “even if it’s in their power to do so”
      How do you know that it is in their power? If you really do, I apologize in advance. Of course they *can* release it simultaneously with the consoles.. But what If they have a reason, marketing wise or contract wise or development wise or from the Stockholder’s perspective? (I’m really just guessing, I hope you understand what i’m saying).. Yes, it is the customers that have to bear the brunt of this whole thing and no, I don’t like it either.. I guess what im trying to say is: Don’t get pissed off about stuff you *assume*. I’m not trying to offend you, i’m just saying look at it from both sides.. You can’t always know :)
      And by saying you’ll just cause them damage by not buying the game and pirating it instead, I think you are pretty much on the extreme of the other side.. They by one thing could think their products will survive the scorn of the customers, because it’s for the sake of the future of the company, since piracy might really hurt their revenue (in their eyes), you on the other hand really deliver them exaclty the reason of why they actually DO that in the first place! Piracy against anti-piracy measures? I dont know..
      cheers

• The Sentinel says:

@Memphis Ann: ‘Brit’ – aka British – implies that the whole country is rioting. It’s actually only happening in England. The Irish, Scots and Welsh have all declined to participate this time around.

@the thread – Piracy is the most retarded response to this situation. It helps no-one but you, and makes things worse for everyone else. It’s because of piracy that we’re in this flaming mess (Thanks a lot, you jerks). More piracy is not going to solve it – that’s like suggesting you can put out a fire by adding more flame.

• John Walker says:

All of you, give it a rest. I’m not having this same boring argument another time in this thread.

• Dawngreeter says:

@The Sentinel

Stop rattling your chains, slaves, or the master will never treat you any better.

• ynamite says:

Wrong.

Piracy is blown way out of proportion, devs or more specifically publisher just got greedy and blamed the fact that no one bought their shitty products on pirates instead of realizing that, well, their products were shite and no one wanted it. So they made up stories about how all the evil pirates downloaded their games instead of paying for them.

No. More piracy isn’t going to solve it, but less isn’t going to solve it either. In any case, you, the paying customer is going to suffer for it whether you like it or not. And whose fault is that?

• Milky1985 says:

@Avenger

Well done for again getting the metaphor wrong. Its nto about filling in forms etc (although that is a good exampel fo the DRM), its about them saying they will sell to everyone , then cutting out a certain portion of the population.

So again, your metphor fails completely, well done.

I never said anythign about stealing it myself, i’m just going to report them to the advertising standards agency, they are defo guilty of false advetising, but i will be asking if it counts as fraud.

• ynamite says:

@Milky1985

Haha, good luck with that ;)

Just like Guybrush, I wanna be a pirate (this time).

• patricij says:

I agree with John Walker…this is utterly boring…and POINTLESS, as it is unsolvable

• Berzee says:

<__<

>__>

*bans a mean word by leaving it in place and removing its context so it sounds potentially terrible*

• Rii says:

“more to emphasize the point that this is no excuse for piracy.”

Piracy needs no excuse.

• bwion says:

Maybe the answer is to just play a game about pirates (that you legitimately bought) and forget about Ubisoft entirely.

Come to think of it, the game wouldn’t even have to be about pirates.

• Urthman says:

It’s so ridiculous that game developers get more mad about people pirating their game than people ignoring it and playing something else. They get just as many zero dollars in each case, but if people are pirating your game, at least someone is enjoying your hard work instead of it just being ignored. If your game is being played and talked about, that’s going to help your sales a lot more than if it’s being ignored.

I don’t usually bother to pirate a Ubisoft game. I usually just ignore them and play something else because Steam is less of a hassle than either piracy or UbiDRM.

Developers, don’t get mad at pirates. Get mad at publishers that make pirated games better and less of a hassle than purchasing your game. People whose only motive for piracy is cost mostly don’t have the money to to buy your game anyway. Focus on making sure that the people willing to pay get a better value from you than they get from the Pirate Bay.

• DrGonzo says:

Ok the argument is boring and all. But I have to say. YES CLIFFSKI FOR FUCKS SAKE! That is the entire point. If you don’t give me the game in the way I want then I will pirate it. You can debate the morals all you like, but it’s how it works.

I’m perfectly willing to pay for games, but you have to entice me, I will pirate it if it feels as though you are fucking me over or if I just get a better deal with piracy. Good example, Civ 5 has had loads and loads of patches, making the retail copy a good option. Valve support their games with Steam and fantastic updates and multiplayer etc.

• SteveHatesYou says:

The more comments I read in threads such as these, the harder I find it to blame publishers for abandoning the PC. The content on RPS does a great job of evangelizing the platform to developers, but I think the comments do an even better job of warning them away.

• DK says:

Hey Cliffsky: Since they’re killing the platform I love, I’ll pillage their towns. It’s piracy, but it’s piracy with a point. Not anarchy, but a carefully directed statement.

That statement is: Because you hurt what I love – the PC and the standards we’ve come to expect since the mid-nineties – I will hurt what you love – your sales. If you stop hurting me, I will stop hurting you. Eye for eye, biblical style.

You being Ubisoft, Blizzard, Activision (is that redundant since Blizzard is on the list?) and all the other compaines that do things that must be opposed, not you personally.

• Avenger says:

Does anyone see a problem with buying and then cracking the game?

8. augustl says:

Hopefully, RPS is more influential than the average consumer, so I’m really glad you focus on this terrible situation. Lovely screenshots btw <3

9. jon_hill987 says:

How can it not have steering wheel support? Windows just sees it as another analogue controller, how does the game know?

• godgoo says:

actually it can be almost impossible without any support

• jon_hill987 says:

Well what I mean is they must be supporting gamepads right? Well a wheel is a gamepad as far as Windows is concerned so how can it not work? It just takes the analogue values, what does it matter if the value comes from a wheel or a stick?

• augustl says:

My guess is that Windows isn’t abstracting analogue controllers the way you imagine. I don’t know this, but it seems likely, given how silly it would be for Ubisoft to actively disable steering weel support.

• Sheng-ji says:

A gamepad has a movement of millimeters, a steering wheel in meters – Do you really not get why you need proper support?? If you could somehow manage to fool the game, the tiniest movement on the wheel would hit full lock leaving the other 719 degrees of rotation redundant. Also, gamepads tend not to act in a linear way and have sophisticated error correction algorithms inserted to make sure they act exactly as expected – run that through a wheel and suddenly it starts doing wierd things – some games with no wheel support flicker the wheel from full lock to no lock at a set rate. If you have a force feedback wheel, this often results in your wrists being wrenched from side to side every corner.

Also force feedback that was designed for a rumblepack is just awful

• LionsPhil says:

Uh. Analogue control inputs do not use real-world measurements, dude. It’s a relative scale. If anything you’re going to find that turning your wheel to full lock only turns as much as slamming the stick to the side, which is probably going to be a lot less than it would be in a real car.

Presumably PC gamers just aren’t worth the time to turn off dead zones, possibly tweak things here or there, and test the result.

• KenTWOu says:

@jon_hill987

Steering wheels and gamepads have several very important differencies. Wheels don’t have huge dead zones in the center of steering axis and havent’t acceleration completely. Wheel force feedback is more complex. So using different software (which unfortunately isn’t compatible with every possible game) you can inaccurately emulate X-Box 360 gamepad in certain games without steering wheel support, but it will be awful experience anyway.

@LionsPhil

Because games without proper steering wheel support don’t allow you to turn off gamepad dead zones completely (IIRC dead zones is a part of Microsoft XInput spec not the game settings) and tweak different things. Cause gamepads don’t need these tweaks in most cases!

• daf says:

Most likely the game supports only a 360 controller trough xinput (probably shared with the xbox version which uses the same API), to support something like a wheel it would probably require using DirectInput and some fancier control option/calibration which would be more work and as such they probably decided not to bother…

10. N'Al says:

Tried the demo for this yesterday (*cough* Xbox *cough*), and it was shit anyway.

11. Miodrag Kovachevic says:

Fun fact: all the console versions of their games are usually on torrent sites a week before they are officially released.

Then again, they’d have to deal with Sony and MS if they were to accuse their platforms of causing piracy problems. No-one on the PC to deal with.

• StingingVelvet says:

Very true, but in the end it’s about sales. Easy to ignore Assassin’s Creed piracy on the Xbox and PS3 when those versions sell like 5 million copies. Harder to ignore PC piracy when we sell much, much less.

• Miodrag Kovachevic says:

Also true, but here’s another fun fact: nobody ever bothered to crack HL2 properly. It’s still unplayable mostly. Why? Because everyone and their mom owns it. And because Valve know how to deal with the PC market.

• Avenger says:

Point.

I love how Valve always makes an appearance on piracy oriented debates.

• Dawngreeter says:

How is HL2 not properly cracked? I pirated it way back when and I can’t remember any significant hassle about it being cracked.

Bought it along with all the HL2 episodes later on, though. Never played any of ‘em. I still live with a firm belief that I will, eventually.

• Azradesh says:

Half-Life 2 was cracked within a week. In fact, since I’d had dial-up at the time, I had to crack Half-Life 2 to get the bloody thing to work. Damn steam was awful back then. Anyway, Half-Life 2 has had a full and working crack almost as long as it’s been out.

• Vorrin says:

yep, hl2 was definitely cracked without a hitch. (And yes, if you’re curious, in my case as well, Valve ended up getting a fairly sizeable amount of money off me, not making it a point pro-piracy, but in this case the story definitely had an happy end for them as a moneymaking company).

• Miodrag Kovachevic says:

AFAIK, you had to enable the AI manually every time you entered a level, as well as having some scripted sections not play out properly. That’s certainly not “without a hitch”.

• Dawngreeter says:

All scripted actions worked as intended (I played through both cracked and Steamed versions and they were identical). Now this was a long time ago so I can’t say my recollection isn’t quite a bit hazy bu the only issues I recall were with NPC facial animations, which the original crack didn’t support. But that was fixed pretty early on. I suppose it’s possible the facial animation issue was of the same nature as the scripted event issues but, having cracked it properly to begin with I simply never encountered any.

• Dionysus says:

HL2 was cracked with no serious issues. No scripting problems, no AI problems, nada.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Hey look, it’s the company that seems to think constant bad press is a good idea. Are any of you reading this? Is the fact that every single person on a PC-exclusive gaming site hates you and refuses to buy your games really not a clue that something is wrong here?

• Azradesh says:

Nope, it worked perfectly. First time I played the game all the way through it was cracked. I didn’t have a single issue. And yes, this was just after it came out.

• Ed123 says:

I think people are confusing the cracked retail version of HL2 with the various pre-release leaks. I bought it at launch but the cracked version was up pretty sharpish,and I never heard any complaints.

12. bglamb says:

Just cancelled my pre-order for M&M on Steam.

Boo to Ubisoft.

• Wisq says:

… you can cancel pre-orders on Steam?

• Thermal Ions says:

Yes. Lodge a Support Ticket.

• Nalano says:

I wonder if they collect statistics on cancelled pre-orders. That’d be an interesting way to lodge a complaint: Pre-order a game just to cancel it.

13. Durkonkell says:

They really are catastrophically incompetent, aren’t they? They don’t have a clue.

Also, I suspect they won’t give RPS an interview because they think “A PC Only publication? How utterly absurd. There are only 5 PC gamers and they are all criminals who must be forced kicking and screaming to buy our games and can’t be trusted offline for even a second! It must be a hoax.”

14. StingingVelvet says:

Heroes 6 was confirmed as being DRM free for singleplayer according to some developers. I read about it on a link from GOG.com I am too lazy to go copy.

As for the article, SPOT ON. I don’t know why Ubisoft feel like pissing on a re-surging PC market. They could just ignore it if they wanted to, release their classics on Steam and GOG and move on. Whey they support it but only in the most lazy way possible and with a snide kick to the balls every once in a while is beyond me. Some theorize they are actively trying to annoy us into console purchases, but that seems pretty weird for a corporation.

• jon_hill987 says:

I would not say it is the laziest way possible. It must take real effort to be this bad.

• Hatsworth says:

Yeah, they’re basically lying. The game will work, yes, but with considerable parts cut out. They added persistence to HVI (which I think is a terrible idea for the record), but it’s all tied to an online account and requires you to be online to unlock these features. They basically figured there would be too much of a backlash if they straight out required a constant connection to play at all, and are spinning this as added bonuses for connecting instead of the offline version being gutted. PR videos about it:

• StingingVelvet says:

Well I watched the first video and it sounds fine to me. Offline peeps like me can play the campaign and quit while people who care about community features and achievements and such can go online. What’s the issue there?

That is how I wish Diablo 3 was going to be.

• Hatsworth says:

Watch the rest… You unlock custom heroes, artefacts etc. These are used in single player.

15. PetiteGreve says:

All they want is to shift PC gamers to Console gamers.
    Crap ports ? check.
    Invasive DRM only on PC ? check
    Despise and arrogance toward PC gamers requests ? check
    Delaying PC version (forcing reviewers and gamers to get it on console first if they’re really excited about the game) ? check
    Not supporting PC versions ? check (late/no patches, no peripheral support, etc)
    Publicly promoting the console version over the PC version ? check – see the infamous tweet + forum posts + public announcements

Why doing that ?
    They REALLY think a PC gamer turning into a Console gamer will have Console gamers’ expectations, behaviour, gaming budget, etc.
    They believe that forcing us to play on consoles only will make us more inclined to buy low-quality DLCs, to pay our games for a higher price (usually console games cost 10€ to 20€ more than PC on release day), to tolerate poor post-launch support, to tolerate uninspired yearly sequels, etc.
    Forcing PC gamers to play on consoles won’t change our mentality (sadly Ubisoft doesn’t agree with that).
    See the Diablo 3 news, big publishers really believe they can change people’s mentality just by snapping their fingers.

16. dux says:

Ubisoft can go eat a hot bowl of dicks.

17. Windward says:

Oh good god, what bungledunglers

18. Antares says:

I still can’t tell whether this repeated history of delays is due to some plot to get us all to turn to console gaming or mere incompetence, but I do know it is hilarious.

Keep on trucking Ubi, I look forward to hearing from your press release blaming poor PC sales on those dirty pirates.

19. acidtestportfolio says:

what’s that? you hate money, ubisoft? that’s kind of absurd, seeing as you are a company that makes products for people to buy

20. Nick says:

Ubisoft – we hate our customers, we hate money, we hate the PC.

21. Hensler says:

I can put up with a delay if it means a better game. I can even put up with DRM, because I’m always online anyways and it never caused me trouble before. But no support for driving peripherals? No go for me.

22. Ucodia says:

We can say it now, no more doubts. It is a real joke.

23. JackShandy says:

No, Ubisoft, PC Gamers are your friends! Stop- what are y- no! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

24. Lars Westergren says:

>So it is that we still don’t have either From Dust or Call Of Juarez: The Cartel.

Call of Juarez is no big loss, from what I’ve heard.

So, possible reasons for Ubisoft’s treatment of PC titles:
    1) General incompetence at Ubisoft. Programmers constantly underestimate time to polish the PC releases, managers keep hoping this time will be different, or they have added time to the project early but don’t dare to announce that the PC will come later.
    2) Their internal metrics show that delaying the PC version of games and having always on DRM (and possibly not releasing demos) decrease piracy significantly. This is what they claim. PC gamers get VERY ANGRY when told this though. But they are in the business of making money, not being loved, so what can they do but shrug and go on.
    3) Someone higher up at Ubisoft demands “tougher action against piracy” but won’t listen to evidence that it harms legitimate customers rather than pirates.

• StingingVelvet says:

I would guess #3. It seems like they more than other companies take piracy personally and care more about stopping it than sales increases. I imagine that attitude comes from the top somewhere.

• Dawngreeter says:

Point 2 should not be about decreasing piracy but about increasing sales. It may very well be that draconian DRM increases sales. It would be counter-intuitive to me, but I guess it’s possible a number of people felt applying complicated cracks and waiting for the crack to be released in the first place is too much hassle and just bought the game instead of pirating.

I do not believe this is the case, though. What I believe is the case is a variation on your point 3. A whole host of dinosaurs in the production chain need to be convinced about combating piracy and having control over your market and these gimmicks sound pleasing to investors and shareholders and directors who have played two games in their lives and are possibly not aware of significant differences between selling games and drilling for oil.

• ankh says:

Thanks for that. I’m less confused now. (I think its probably #2)

25. Casimir Effect says:

To play Devil’s advocate, maybe it’s actually a good thing and that extra time between console and PC release means the bigger bugs can be found and ironed out. Sort of like using the console players as our very own beta testers. Of course this would imply that a patch is released basically alongside the PC version – does anyone know if this is ever the case with these delayed games?

• Milky1985 says:

“To play Devil’s advocate, maybe it’s actually a good thing and that extra time between console and PC release means the bigger bugs can be found and ironed out. ”

They have said that about all releases but they have still been plagued by menus that only realyl work with control pads etc, so it can be assumed that if they are spending the extra time making it more PC like then they are just idiots.

Also they would know beforehand that it was going to take longer….. so wouldn’t put out a statement saying “it will release at the same time”

• bleeters says:

Assassins Creed certainly benefited from all that extra delay time, oh yes.

• Casimir Effect says:

Yeah, I really was scraping the barrel a bit as I couldn’t come up with any good reason for this retardedness. Which is a shame as Ubi publish and make a lot of good games, both now and in the past.

I guess it all makes sense to some little corporate man sitting in an office with lots of projections and spreadsheets and graphs and everything else that goes with the massive salary. But seriously, fuck that guy.

26. UnravThreads says:

MMH VI was ‘confirmed’ to not have the DRM, but it does have UPlay functionality I believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if that changed.

Ubisoft are really only dicks to the English community. Anno 2070, for example, has very little info for those of us who speak English. However, if you go to the German site, there’s a lot of updates and info.

Their tech support takes the piss, too. They’ve not gotten back to me for two frakking weeks.

• cmi says:

Thats because Ubisoft ist just the publisher and the game is developed by a german company. Looks like there is no general marketing/community management for each game and some developers (in this case Related Designs) tend to communicate more with it’s customers. Or on the other hand it’s because Germany is probably the biggest market for this game.

27. The Hammer says:

No sale, then.

A shame because Reflections are a local developer to me. But fuck this news.

28. Conor says:

Wow. This is an amazing saga.

29. Deano2099 says:

Pretty confusing. I can actually see the logic of delaying the PC version, as it’ll get pirated and you don’t want to eat in to console sales in that initial release window. But this DRM is meant to stop that. It seems even Ubisoft don’t have faith in their own DRM.

Still, Rab was on Twitter last night saying it was shit based on the demo so…

If they delay Ass Rev I’ll just get it on 360, which I’m sure with Microsoft’s cut means they’ll actually make less money off me too.

30. SavageD says:

Oh f@#k no, Trackmania 2 is a You-Be-Soft game now?! I’d totally missed that.

And I was so looking forward to that too. Ubiwhatever can totally f@#k right off.

• Calneon says:

My heart sank when I read that. So fucking looking forward to that game.

31. Avenger says:

It must take a hell of a lot of time to INFEST the game executable with that DRM.

Is it weird that it takes about 3 hours for crackers to remove it?

This is now officially downloadware

32. Nickless_One says:

No middle finger is big enough…

33. Milky1985 says:

So its time to hit them with a false advertising charge, and maybe even a fraud charge as they explictily stated that they would not delay it , now they have delayed it so they have made smoe money (pre-orders) from false information :D

• ArcaneSaint says:

Actually, if people were to start filing charges against Ubisoft and refuse to settle things outside of court, with the right media-attention it might just work. Since technically, you paid them for a service that was promised with a certain date, and they failed to meet that date, ‘breach of contract’ much?
      @RPS: you guys are watching for any “disgruntled customer” vs “Ubisoft” trials are you?

34. Andrigaar says:

Ubisoft? USELESS-SOFT.

I’m not giving them anymore pennies until they engage in interviews to describe their insanity and/or stupidity.

35. Symitri says:

Is anybody really disappointed by losing Driver on launch? Assassin’s Creed and From Dust delays I can understand, but Driver?

• timmyvos says:

Disappointed with the game? No. They’re disappointed with Ubisoft who clearly stated that they’d not delay this game and they’re disappointed with Ubisoft’s general disregard for everything PC related.

36. stillwater says:

I couldn’t care less about the delay, but I’m disappointed about the lack of wheel support – I didn’t know that :(

If the game came out on time though, everyone would be whining that “it’s just a crappy, hastily made console port. They’ve screwed over PC gamers again”.

Instead, it’s “PC version only is delayed. They’ve screwed over PC gamers again”.

I don’t know why I still bother to read these sorts of articles.

• Nalano says:

Oh, it’ll still be a crappy console port. But now it’s a LATE crappy console port WITH DRM!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

37. The Sentinel says:

No, that’s it, Ubisoft,. Message received. You don’t want my money? Fine. I’m not buying another Ubisoft product. I’m going to have funnel that cash towards your competitors instead. Sad, but it seems to be what you want. A shame, because I was quite looking forward to both From Dust and the new Anno game. I, however, shall live. Let’s see you do the same.

38. drowsy says:

1. Say that we’ll release the PC version at the same time as the console versions. This will make those stupid PC gamers think that we care about the platform.
    2. Add ridiculous DRM.
    3. Tell those PC idiots that the release date has to be moved forward to “make the game as good as it can be on the PC”.
    4. ??
    5. Collect the sweet, sweet profits from an uncrackable game that PC people think is actually optimized for the PC environment.
    6. Realize that the PC gamers that are still buying games have a brain, and can thus see straight through all the bullshit. Also, notice how ridiculous the piracy numbers are even with the “uncrackable” protection.

39. Nameless1 says:

What a bunch of retarded people.
    Hope the time they’ll go bankrupt will be soon.
    And THANKS RPS for these type of articles, defending customers-pc gaming without falling where 90% of the other online-offline gaming journals fell.

• timmyvos says:

That’s probably soon: they have 4 studios working on the new Assasins Creed which, considering it’ll likely earn less than what they invested and as they haven’t earned any profits for the last few years.

40. Kill_The_Drive says:

Where is the X360 DRM? You know people can pirate X360 games the same way as they do with PC games.

To put it nicely: I’m glad I have a X360. Easier to buy acquire games.

41. Tei says:

Don’t attribute to malice, that can be atributed to incompetence. In the case of Ubisoft, I think can be both.

• Nalano says:

I’m not having the “are they stupid or evil?” debate again. Not after Dubya.

(it’s probably both)

42. Dreamhacker says:

Why do they even bother to release the game after they’ve taken out every feature available to consoles, slapped on atrocious, human-rights-defying DRM and delayed it until after the fricking sequel?

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

You might be taking the piss, I don’t know. But I’ve seen too many this ill-informed whinges along these lines.

Consumer rights and human rights are not the same thing. You are not being oppressed by Ubi, your freedom of expression has not been curtailed, nor are Ubi waterboarding you. They’re just treating you really shabbily as a customer, and are able to get away with it because digital media is too far ahead of consumer rights legislation (which is gradually getting pissed away anyway).

I’d be really intrigued to see how this shit would hold up if someone took them to court, as EULAs, contracts and other such gubbins can only go so far. Can’t help but think there’s some judges out there sympathetic to the idea that after buying (or renting as it is these days) something you should actually be able to play it. Good legal argument, I reckon, would be all the notorious down-time on Ubi’s DRM servers with Settlers and AC – surely if they’re going to do shit like this it should be incumbent on them to ensure their servers are capable of holding up on release?

43. terry says:

The part of this I find contemptuous is that this game is being released at all.

44. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Should we start placing bets on who’s making the decisions at Ubisoft? I currently side with South Parks idea of a tank full of manitees with ‘idea balls’.

It is the only logical answer.

45. bleeters says:

It’s good to know that in these vulnerable financial times, the games industry has no shortage of benevolent, kind hearted souls who selflessly churn out intolerable, self-destructive ideas in the interests of encouraging me not to squander my money. Thank you, Blizzard/ID/EA/Ubisoft for your unrelenting bullshit.

46. Berzee says:

Concise version (why do people always put tl:dr’s at the end? backwards thinking) — it’s irritating but not perhaps the form of ghastly prejudice and oppression that you make it out to be. =P

Long version:
    While this is a silly thing for them to do, please remember that what they have done is this:

Messed up their game on one of the possible machines that can run it. That is what they have done. They have not actually spit in your face or insulted your family — that have neglected your selected games-playing device.

So when I hear words like “unbridled contempt”…I dunno, it seems to go beyond a kind of sadness or annoyance that their games won’t be as good on computers. It seems to spill over into “Augh! They’re oppressing us! They hate our kind!” territory.

As much as I enjoy pointing out to people that I play not only VIDEO games but also COMPUTER games…I am not sure I’m ready to declare it to be my one true nationality. =P

• Delixe says:

How can you describe it as anything but contempt when they justify the inclusion of UbiDRM by saying it will launch the same time as the console versions and then turn around and delay it anyway?

Clearly what has happened is Ubisoft do pay attention to the PC feedback and have seen all the claims from people who say they will pirate it because of the DRM. They are obviously not as confident in the security of their DRM as they claim and have pushed back the release date hoping those of us who are early adopters will prefer to own the console version now rather than wait for the PC version later.

• Berzee says:

Oh, I don’t disagree that it could be described as contempt for the PC.

But I don’t think it should be physically possible to say “they treat the PC with contempt” in SUCH an injured and indignant tone (as might be used for saying “they treat my wife and children with contempt”). I cannot perfectly tell the tone from the words, but a lot of these posts and comments skate near the edge of the Pool of Unreasonable Levels of Madness.

• Berzee says:

In other words: “THEY HAVE CONTEMPT FOR PERSONAL COMPUTERS AS A GAMING PLATFORM”, while important to us because relevant to our interests, if it inspires a crusade at all, should inspire a crusade with a degree of self-aware levity about it.

• Delixe says:

@Berzee: I think the outrage is they are treating customers with contempt more than a platform. It’s just a happy co-incidence that those customers happen to be on a format that Ubisoft doesn’t seem to give a toss about. Taking pre-orders for this game and then changing the release date with no better reason than “because we can” is treating customers with contempt in my book. To use the piracy excuse after insisting people have to use their DRM solution is frankly insulting.

47. db1331 says:

They pull shit like this, and then they wonder why their PC sales are so weak compared to console sales.

48. deadstoned says:

Mediocre game with horrific DRM, no demo and another significant PC delay. Ubisoft dont seem to get tired of upsetting PC Gamers.

NO SALE UNIGLOBULARSOFT!

49. rocketman71 says:

Let’s not forget: Assassin’s Creed: Revelations will have a PS3 demo, but not a PC demo. Rarely, this time it looks like there won’t be a 360 demo either, but I guess they will fix that soon.

Fuck you, Ubi. And fuck you, Nadeo.. how could you let yourselves be bought by the most incompetent publisher in the fucking world?!?. I love Trackmania, and I even bought Sunrise despise the fact that it came loaded with StarForce (and it cost me one DVD drive), but I swear that if it comes with UbiShitDRM, I’m not buying it this time.

50. bill says:

Surely this hurts their PC sales as much as piracy ever could. Unless the game turns out to be stellar, by the time it’s released on PC either
    (a) People have heard it’s not amazing and lost their interest, or
    (b) It’s now old news.

Everyone was all hyped about From Dust a week or so ago, but by now it’s kind of lost it’s appeal.