So: Retail Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2011 at 3:51 pm.

The skyscraper? Valve HQ. The scene? An EA' executive's dream.
The moves! They are becoming clearer. As many of you speculated, it seems that the retail version of Battlefield 3 will indeed require Origin to be installed on your computer in order to play it. Oh Twitter, how did we find out brief snippets of information (or organise anarchic uprisings against the grim hegemony of shoe shops) before you existed?

This admission by EA probably goes some way to explaining why the game won’t appear on Steam, because it would basically entail two Steam-like systems being folded around the game, and they would inevitably fight like giant sperm whales versus kraken in the magnetic depths of your hard-drive. Such a conflict would undoubtedly cause electronic terribleness to occur, and no-one wants that. That’s my understanding of the technical situation, at least. I suspect there are also overriding commercial monsters pulling the levers behind the scenes. This is the game could spread Origin about in the game-o-sphere, just as Counter-Strike and Half-Life 2 propagated Steam.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am betting that you do.

, , .

1. acidtestportfolio says:

i’m probably going to stay away from this

i never liked steam in it’s infancy, but the steam of then and now are two entirely different things

however, with ea’s track record, i think i’ll give BF3 a wide berth until it goes on sale for cheap

• acidtestportfolio says:

and that includes dlc and all optional gubbins

i want all the things for cheap

• pepper says:

Same here, I really dont need yet another service to play games. Just give me a bloody CD-key and a DVD and I will be happy. Screw all these accounts you need to register nowadays.

Oh well, it wasnt really worth it without modding anyway.

• povu says:

To be fair, EA is doing the exact same thing Valve did with Half Life 2: Making a new game from a popular series dependant on a new digital distribution service in order to persuade people to start using it. Nothing inherently wrong with that. It’s not like Steam was that great back then either. But it worked out great for Valve.

But yes for the consumers it’s annoying that we’re going to have to run multiple of these services.

• p4warrior says:

@povu: the big difference this time around is that they’ve pulled it from the major seller of the game, Steam. When HL2 required Steam, Valve still didn’t pull it from Wal-Mart.

• AlonePlusEasyTarget says:

Look to your right, get that one instead.

• Amun says:

@pepper: Ahoy there matey!

• Wulf says:

Another big difference is that Valve are a privately owned company which–for the most part–seem to me to have the interests of the consumer as a consideration. EA is a much bigger and publically owned company that has to answer to shareholders, in a scenario where people are wallets and the shareholders are the only non-company people whom actually exist.

I know EA is only doing business, I accept and respect that, but very often I find that I don’t like how EA does business. And I’ll say again that naming their download service Origin was just a kick in the nuts for me that reopened old wounds. I’ll also say again that anyone who’d name something in such a way that would be offensive to Ultima loyalists can’t be very bright (or intelligent at all).

Considering how EA has done business in the past, how they’ve treated customers, and that the management of ‘Origin’ doesn’t strike me as particularly clever in any way that I can perceive… well, I just think that betting on Origin is a fool’s bet. And I am many things but I am not a fool. Some say that this is just the same as what Valve are doing and I get that, but Valve aren’t Steam.

There was one point where EA were as infamous as Activision now is and I’m seeing a relapse into those levels of notoriety. What you want to ask yourself is whether you’d use Origin if it was run by Activision and Kotick, and if your answer is no whereas it would be yes under EA, then you want to ask yourself why because there’s frankly no perceivable difference between how EA and Activision do business, currently.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

I’m far less offended by the reuse of the name Origin for this Steam-competitor than I would be if they started a studio under that name that ended up churning out terrible games.

• LionsPhil says:

p4warrior: Retail copies of HL2 still required Steam. You could buy it and run it through Steam, or you could buy it then run it through Steam.

• Vorrin says:

+1 Ultima loyalist offended by the choice of using ‘Origin’ as a name, it really feels a bit too much like mockery of the wonderful company they acquired and then butchered, which, incidentally, produced some of my by far favourite games ever.

• TheGameSquid says:

I’m pretty irritated by the use of the name too. It’s almost like: “We bought ‘em and killed ‘em so we could use their splendid name for our DD service in the future. Thanks Richard!”.

• apollyonbob says:

I like how Valve tells EA that they can’t sell BF3 through Steam, and it’s EA’s fault. EA sells through Direct2Drive, a competitor to Origin, and Impulse, another competitor to Origin, but it’s EA’s fault it’s not on Steam. Oh sure, Steam has GFWL games, but it’s because EA wants to install Origin so it’s EA’s fault. Oh sure, Steam is the publisher, not the dev, but EA is big and bad, so it’s EA’s fault. Oh sure, it’d be like Wal-Mart pulling HL2 from their shelves because of Steam, the exact opposite of the earlier example, but EA is bad, and it’s EA’s fault, so we twist the examples around. Valve has all the cards, and is making all the decisions, but it’s totally 100% EA’s fault, now, always, and forever.

It’s like EA murdered everyone’s dog at some point, I mean Jesus.

I seriously wish the cognitive dissonance of gamers could be harnessed as a power source – we could power every city on the planet for the next 1000 years.

• Jhoosier says:

“It’s like EA murdered everyone’s dog at some point, I mean Jesus.”

Read some of the replies above you regarding Ultima. Sounds like they pretty much did.

• Kittim says:

Well I’m not going to touch it yet.
      And while I’m a fan of Steam now, I wasn’t when it first came out. These types of programs need to go though several versions before their stable and secure.
      Plus, EA’s frankly poo effort of a DLC manager for Dragon Age: Origins hardly fills me with confidence on their programming prowess. “You can’t load this save game because you have unauthorised DLC”. Sigh, log in in-game, still not authorised. Log out, close DA, reload DA. Ah, now I can load. But you know what, I can’t be arsed, the moment’s gone. It’s the gaming equivalent of coitus with a beautiful person, only to discover a nasty rash over their genitals. Utter turn off.

• dsi1 says:

“It’s like EA murdered everyone’s dog at some point, I mean Jesus.”

They murdered Westwood and raped their games.

Same thing with Ultima too…

Anyone with half a brain is passing right by Origin and any games on it, BF3 is going to be a very poor game if just for the lack of incredibly basic features. Meanwhile RO2 is adding to their series instead of taking away from it.

• Dhatz says:

I threw it on the GROUND

• studenteternal says:

It may be worth considering too that Steam was trail blazing. From what I recall of those dim and dusty memories of years ago, there were no other digital distribution services, and certainly no major ones. Valve made steam not because they wanted to avoid their competitors, but because they saw a need that wasn’t being filled, and to be fair one I and many others also did not see. Origin is trying to do what steam already does well, and adds nothing for the consumer.

• Dan Forever says:

Quibbles about EA aside, I just don’t want another game manager program doing god knows what under the bonnet of my computer.

Alegis says:

@povu: the store came way later. Steam was pushed as a platform for Valve to easily and automatically update their games (CS in particular) without taking the whole multiplayer scene down whenever they’d patch something.

That said Valve has done significant effort to boost PC gaming wheras EA has a spiffy track record. While Valve will offer free games and updates EA on the other hand asked for you to buy ‘download insurance’ and nickle and dime you. The difference in how they approach or view customers is staggering.

2. Ephaelon says:

If Origin is to BF3 what STEAM is to TF2/LFD2 for me, with regards to stats, cloud, server browsing and the like, s’fine.

• Barnaby says:

Except that it’s not fine. This is EA. Do not trust.

• mouton says:

Yes, world black and white. Must choose white. Yes.

• Bilbo says:

What you definitely don’t want to do is think about things and come to a rational independent decision when a situation arises. No, much better to base your actions on what the body politik decided in like 1996 and spare yourself the trouble of independent thought!

Besides, I thought Activision were the ones you guys irrationally hate and tar every release over now? And also Blizzard or something?

Notch is great etc

• arccos says:

@Bilbo: How is it irrational to expect EA to continue acting the same way they have in the past? Surely its irrational to expect them to change at this point?

People beat up on EA because either EA bought and then killed a series or company the person likes, they remember EA Spouse and all of the stories that came out afterwards, or they are getting sick of being treated like criminals. For many people, the value of what EA does wrong greatly outweighs the value of what they do right.

There are also plenty of reasons to dislike many other companies in the gaming business. Its not really a “pick one” sort of situation.

3. Stinkfinger75 says:

Not such a big deal really.

• jonfitt says:

Exactly. I have Impulse, Steam, EA Downloader (for BF2 expansions bought years ago), I’ll just add Origin to the list.
      So long as it is not lame compared to Steam functionality-wise I don’t care.

• Lukasz says:

isin’t ea downloader now origin? you don’t need to add another thing then i believe.

• UberMonkey says:

While I think EA generally treats its customers poorly, I can deal with installing Origin to play the next Battlefield game. I also understand that they’re just doing the same thing Valve did when starting Steam (Valve had and continues to have a far better record for treating customers fairly, but that doesn’t mean EA doesn’t get the option to compete).

What bothers me about this is that this strategy will certainly reduce the actual number of players for a game that needs a large playerbase to continue operating (ie, to maintain large numbers of decent servers in different locations around the world). So while EA continues to talk about “beating” MW3, in reality they’ve severely limited the number of people who will play BF3 in order to jumpstart Origin. While I think it’s a bit silly to skip a game you wanted to play just because it’s not on Steam, I think that a number of people who were on the fence to begin with will be doing just that.

• unangbangkay says:

Same deal, here. Valve used HL2 and CS’s clout to railroad Steam in, and EA’s doing the same, using a high-profile exclusive to force Origin into greater prominence. And yes, Steam wasn’t exactly the marvel it was today way back then. There’s nothing inherently wrong with establishing a precedent, so long as it’s ultimately positive.

In that way, we (may) win out in the end. Origin now has a VERY high bar to surpass, whereas Steam was more or less unprecedented. In the ideal situation, EA will be able to improve their service to match or come close to the market leader. Net win for everyone. I’m not entirely confident in this given EA’s track record, but hey, it’s not like Valve had an amazing track record when HL2 came out either (just one game, yeah?), and especially not as a game distributor.

That said, it’s always a little uncomfortable when someone uses a big title’s clout to establish a precedent, esp. when it’s something undesirable. Look at how that guy from Id was SOOOO happy that ActiBlizz were using Diablo III’s clout to force in always-online DRM. They did the same with Modern Warfare 2 and Starcraft 2 (the $60 PC game and new Battle.net), and so on and so forth. Ubisoft’s continually trying to establish a precedent of dicking over PC gamers at every opportunity, and so on.

It’s really up to faith and seeing how it all pans out in the end.

• Amun says:

@UberMonkey:
      They really need to compete in terms of quality though. Simply flipping a switch and requiring us to use a specific platform to play the game is artificial competition! If EA were confident in their new platform, they’d allow people to buy it from steam and see who came out on top.

• Commisar says:

I know, and the guy DID NOT clarify what the hell he meant. he could mean a 1 time activation at install or the client might have to be running. Based on my experiences, it will probably be the one time thing.

4. NR says:

It’s not that bad. A lot of games do require steamworks, after all, and the Origin software has generally been OK when I’ve used it.

Saying that, though, I did see this: http://i.imgur.com/9W8ET.png on reddit today, so this might be an issue for certain other regions.

Andy_Panthro says:

Whatever happened to The Internet Has No Oceans?

I humbly request an RPS hive-mind update.

• chabuhi says:

Somebody at EA was really bad at Geography or History or Political Science or something.

Wonder if they auto-select your region by your last name?

“Thank you for your order, Mr. Gutierrez – please pay in Mexican pesos and we will ship to your address in Chicago.”

• Jim Rossignol says:

“Whatever happened to The Internet Has No Oceans?”

I believe John fell asleep at the controls of it, and the idea veered off into a ditch, crashed, and caught fire. It’s still there, smouldering. It’s likely to explode and take John with it unless a plucky Lassie-type dog character doesn’t drag him from the wreckage.

• Sensai says:

Lucky guy…he doesn’t have to buy EA products on the PC.

Oh wait, neither do I! Huzzah!

• patricij says:

Wonder if they auto-select your region by your last name?

Oh, great…so, I will just change my name to John Doe and I can buy stuff in dollars, woo!

• PetiteGreve says:

I think they detect the Windows language setting, and since Puerto Ricans primary language is spanish (english is their official secondary language), their computers are set to “spanish”.
      Origin devs thought that “spanish” language = Spain only.
      Fun facts :
      1) Puerto Rico does NOT have its own money. They use United State Dollars. USD.
      2) Wikipedia : “The United States Congress legislates over many fundamental aspects of Puerto Rican life, including citizenship, currency, postal service, foreign affairs, military defense, communications, labor relations, the environment, commerce, finance, health and welfare, and many others.[59][60]”
      3) Congresional Research Service (2011 Report) (www.crs.gov) ” For example, residents of Puerto Rico hold U.S. citizenship, serve in the military, are subject to federal laws, and are represented in the House of Representatives by a Resident Commissioner elected to a four-year term.”
      => So you only have USD in your country, you’re getting your ass blowed up in the Middle-East for Uncle Sam, you pay some of the USA taxes, can vote for some of the USA elections, must respect US federal laws, but you’re not accept on “Origin” (sic) because of your… origins.
      Nice way to discriminate its customers, a great comeback of the “Offer void In Nebraska”, but this time for no reasons at all.
      Or maybe these two : Complete ignorance of the devteam behind Origin ? Overall total lack of respect of EA for its customers ?

5. Oryon says:

No thanks. I’m waiting for this to shake itself free of Origin before i buy it.

6. chabuhi says:

Why am I feeling more and more compelled to avoid Origin? I’m really not a Steam fanboy, I guess I just like having one place to shop. Maybe I trust Valve more than I trust EA. But why should I care? I really think I shouldn’t, but for some reason I do.

But, damn, I really want to play BF3!

• Calneon says:

Then buy it. Don’t let the delivery method stop you.

Durkonkell says:

This is almost exactly how I feel.

Although the more I think about it, the more it seems that the reason for my ambivalence is “I think EA have probably lied to me about the reasons for their games disappearing from Steam”. Hmm.

• Cyampagn says:

Oh fuck; a big company which doesn’t give a crap about all of us LIED to us. Lets not buy their games, we’ll make the difference.
      You people are amazing; ranting on the interwebz has gone uphill on the last couple of years, and it’s becoming ridiculous. I don’t usually use this word, but crybabies? Yes, that definitely defines all of you, raging about something that noone with half a brain would let it bother him.
      Origin works just fine, gosh.

• Zogtee says:

“…raging about noone with half a braing would let it bother him.”

Oh, the things I could do if I only had half a braing.

But yeah, fuck people with OPINIONS and shit! Who do they think they are, talking about stuff on the internetz!

• Commisar says:

good Christ, YOU can get it from ALOT of other sources, plus that damn comment was so vague, I’m not sure what he meant. it could just be a ONE TIME install validation. But, if means that much to you, i will have all the fun you won’t be having in BF3 :)

Zephro says:

Basically I agree. I’m not a Steam fanboy.
      But I can’t be bothered with another kind of DRM, another set of login details, an inferior service in terms of community etc. higher prices.
      Frankly I’ll just keep playing TF2 and avoid this now.

I’m also getting that. This whole fiasco has just eroded trust and I can’t be bothered buying a game after these shenanigans.

• majestyk says:

Considering how EA fucked up some (non-gaming-related) parts of BF2, Origin can maybe solve some of those without making the game itself bad. In BF2, updates were a bitch, 1.5GB which MUST BE unpacked to your C:/ Drive before installing? And the server browser, multiplayer games and server browsers are now in use for how many years, and still everyone achieves to fuck this up in mindboggling varieties.
      I’d be more happy if this wasn’t tied to yet another digital download service, but I guess I can at least wait and see how this turns out before ranting about it to hell and back.

7. Teddy Leach says:

I’m getting in before the people who think this is the worst thing to ever happen to them. Oh god, I can hear them coming.

• Aluschaaf says:

Too late, the “fine, now I can steal it”-crowd already arrived. Bloody looters.

• rayne117 says:

Except looting takes away a PHYSICAL product from the owners.

• dsi1 says:

“Too late, the ‘fine, now I can steal it’-crowd already arrived. Bloody looters.”

BF3 is in stores already?

Not even worth the risk of being caught stealing it imo.

8. GetUpKidAK says:

It clearly just requires Origin so EA can have “direct access with their customers in order to offer a better service.”

Sorry, I meant “charge more for it without having to give money to anyone else.”

drewski says:

If a game is too expensive for the entertainment content you will get from it, don’t buy it. Why does the platform matter? Why do you care if EA or Valve or Rupert Murdoch or CD Projekt or anyone else gets a cut or doesn’t?

• PetiteGreve says:

^ haha @”it’s too expensive don’t buy it”, completely forgetting they’re not selling chairs or sandwiches but a specific video-games. If you want to play a BF-like game, you don’t have the choice, it’s EA or nothing.

You can’t make a Battlefield-clone without getting sued by DICE/EA, hated for not “innovating” and spliting the Battlefield-like playerbase. EA has de facto a monopoly over the “Battlefield” sector, and they’re trying to squeeze as much money as they can (until the IP die and the playerbase is looted by another vehicles+classes FPS).

That’s why everyone should be allowed to rage about any decisions EA takes (imo), the whole “great power => great responsibility” stuff.

• GetUpKidAK says:

I don’t have a problem with the cost of the game, it’s EA’s handling of the Steam/Origin situation that I object to.

Issuing vague statements with the intention of making another company look like the bad guy is very old-school EA.

• Tyshalle says:

The platform matters.

2. If Origin does not take off in any meaningful way, what does that mean for the games you have on there? This could go the way of the numerous MMO’s that have shut down and prevented any of their paying customers from playing at all. Sure, maybe BF3 is too big to fail, but is it big enough to keep Origin afloat?

The differences between now and nearly a decade ago is that when Steam came out, digital distribution just wasn’t a thing. Steam innovated, and they not only took a major risk when no one else thought it would pan out, but they’ve also treated their customers exceedingly well to become the DD behemoth that they are today. The problem with Origin is that EA is not innovating. They are literally copying the same exact idea that’s already been done, with fewer features, and are forcing players to adopt their new software if they want to play their games. I realize that Valve did the same thing, but it’s different: There wasn’t anything like Steam out before. They weren’t denying anyone from purchasing their game from wherever they wanted.

And frankly, Origin just stinks of a money-grabbing gimmick. Saturating the marketplace without new ideas is not a recipe for success. Look at the MMO genre, and how many MMO’s have gone down in flames as a result of just copying every other idea out there. Correct me if you think I’m wrong, but this Origin thing doesn’t appear to me to be EA trying to fill a need in the marketplace that other Digital Distributor’s aren’t covering. They’re not going after a demographic of potential customers that aren’t currently being catered to. All this is, is EA trying to steal existing customers from other services. Sure, their biggest target right now is Steam, but let’s not pretend that this doesn’t threaten the other DD’s that are currently selling EA.

My problem is, Origin does not seem like it’s destined to last. They are not innovating. They are not meeting some marketplace need or drawing from customers currently not being served. They are not coming up with a single unique idea that would bring happy customers away from Steam. Instead, they’re not giving people any other choice. They’re forcing them to do this when there are other, better services already established.

You can shrug this off, as I’m sure many people will. But I just have no faith in the longevity of this service, and even if I did, I have a hard time supporting a company that is denying me choices, offering me nothing worthwhile, but forcing me to use their stupid service if I want to play their games. And I’m going to vote with my wallet here. We’ll see what happens.

• rayne117 says:

“Why do you care if EA or Valve or Rupert Murdoch or CD Projekt or anyone else gets a cut or doesn’t?”

Uh, because I know my purchase decisions affect the future technology climate?

• skurmedel says:

rayne117 damn you to hell for your non-myopic thinking!

• dsi1 says:

“1. If enough people fail to buy this game because it requires Origin be installed, then the game is not going to have the longevity of previous titles.”

BF3 is already going to have negligible longevity due to the lack of modding tools or support for e-sports.

drewski says:

You’re so right. No other game on the planet has men with guns shooting each other.
      If you want to play Battlefield, suck it up. Just like if you want to buy a Lamborghini (or a Coke) you suck it up. Your choice is not to buy, or not to buy under whatever conditions are present. Whining about it on the internet is just boring.

“Uh, because I know my purchase decisions affect the future technology climate?”

If you don’t want one company making money over another, don’t support them.

heretic says:

Drewski your attitude about it is ridiculous. You’re saying people should just suck up any change that happens to the product if they want to play it.

Why can’t he whine about it on the internet? It’s a good place as any for companies to pick up feedback from potential customers and realise why they might not be selling.

If Battlefield ends up not doing as well as they hoped at least they won’t be scratching their heads.

If there is enough of an outrage on the internet about silly Origin then if EA are smart enough they would change their plans. This has happened to other game companies back tracking after very poor feedback.

Your solution is for people to shut up and never whine about it, like that’s going to change anything…

9. Tei says:

I am giving Origin a EA a oportunity here. Hope is not wasted, but with a game like BF3 I doubt I will get screwed, I will probably put 100+ hours on the game, so it will end as very cheap enteirnament.. and very fun one :D

Andy_Panthro says:

Steam Shark vs. Origin Octopus?
    I think I’ll wait for the DVD release.

edit: photoshop delivered!

11. Dawngreeter says:

I wonder why something like this isn’t subject to class-action lawsuit. If any other company required you to do anything with their product other than use it at your leisure, they’d be coughing up dough on the court floor.

Yes, sir, shoes size 42. No problem. You’ll have to call us on every 5th of the month, though, or we’ll send a man to take the shoes away from you.

• Robin says:

Eh? How do you propose suing a publisher for making their game use their own server backend?

• Teddy Leach says:

Remember how Steam started. I do. What EA are doing is perfectly legal.

• Dawngreeter says:

I know how Steam started and I do not pretend Origin is different in this regard. I merely wonder why this is legal. It is not obligatory server-side communication, it is obligation to use another product with the one you bought.

• Calneon says:

Ugh. This has to be explained so often. When you buy a game nowadays, you buy a SERVICE, not a product. EA/Valve/Activision/Blizzard are selling you the right to play their game on their own terms.

• Malk_Content says:

Happens all the time in spheres outside of gaming. Most fancy coffee makers require you to use their brands of coffee (or require you to save the plastic thingies it comes in then put your own coffee in, but that is similar to cracking a game.) Many cameras and other devices “require” you to use their proprietary storage devices of file formats even though they are perfectly capable of running others. It isn’t new and it isn’t isolated. It isn’t illegal because as a customer if you don’t like the restrictions your free to not buy it or find work around that will probably void your support with the original company

• 0p8 says:

buy shoe means you own shoe.
      buying game does not mean you own game.

Vandelay says:

Would a better analogy not be buying a CD and requiring a CD player made by that record label in order to listen to it (replace the word CD with MP3 and CD player with MP3 player if you are a youngster)? I have absolutely no idea whether that would be illegal or not.

I’m pretty certain they would have no customers left though.

• R10T says:

Dawngreeter : While i think it is legal, what they are doing, I soooo understand you..
      Calneon,0p8 : And THAT is exactly the problem I have with it..
      Malk_Content: “If you don’t like the service, you don’t have to buy it” – I officially hate that argument, because it’s wrong on so many levels.. Just to throw in one of them: to force someone to use specific nonreasonable service, which is absolutely not needed in any way is just stupid and mean. It’s like saying “of course you can watch that movie in our cinema since you bought the tickets, but you have to run through a parking lot.. Twice”. It’s the same case as with Diablo 3, Ubi-DRM (where at least i get the basic reason,although i think it’s stupid reason as well).. If there would be benefits for using a specific service, i would be more than happy and maybe I would even use it.. If there is a NEED to do that without a real reason, i pass and although it is my choice, I believe I have 100% right to blame them..

drewski says:

Exactly. The practical application of the way recorded media works is what stops record labels trying it, not the legality of it.

Witness Apple’s early attempts at controlling how people listen to digital media by having everything in their .aac format.

12. phenom_x8 says:

WELL, looks like EA have answered it all by themselves regarding to the REAL reason behind the removal of their games from STEAM.

Do we need Valve to say its reason and make another BS PR statement about being closer to their customer ?? Nope, VALVE already knew before, that EA will tell the reason for them when the times come !

13. ShineDog says:

My question is – What about the GFWL games on Steam? Thats a store, for a lot of games (not all) it handles the patching. Why is that allowed and not this?

Regardless, BF3 was fun enough in Alpha, with all it’s balance problems, that I’ll certainly not be letting Origin stop me.

• Aemony says:

Noticed how recently all new GFWL games got their DLCs buyable through Steam (i.e. Fable 3)? Yeah, that’s why…

The patching method itself is hardly the problem (and most GFWL games on Steam uses both systems available to them to ensure that Steam users benefits from their service while retaining the GFWL way to ensure that retail owners also gets the updates), but the matter of purchasing DLC is. To make it easier to their customers Valve now requires the DLCs to be purchaseable through the Steam Store. The only company having an issue with this is EA.

EA don’t want to share the income from the DLCs with Valve, so their latest games are removed from the store which requires players to sign-up, buy and install the DLC through another third-party store.

• Archonsod says:

Erm, if you’re buying EA DLC’s from EA’s store, that wouldn’t be third party …

• Zenicetus says:

Right, I think the older GFWL games were grandfathered in, like the DLC purchase and authorization for Fallout 3.

Also, I wouldn’t say that “The only company having an issue with this is EA.” You can’t buy the new Dragon Age 2 DLC through Steam either. Although, apparently you can buy it on the Bioware site and it will authorize inside Steam, which is some kind of in-between case. It will be fascinating to see what happens with Mass Effect 3 and its DLC on the Steam platform.

• DixieFlatline says:

I don’t think it’s a question of GFWL games being grandfathered in. Valve’s new policy is most likely “DLC must be available from Steam in addition to wherever the hell else you’re selling it.” Knowing EA’s track record, they probably want to be the only ones to sell DLC, period.

drewski says:

EA are Bioware’s publisher, Zenicetus.

• Ravenholme says:

Uhm, Zeneticus – EA publish Dragon Age 2, so it is just EA.

• Zenicetus says:

(smacks self in head) Right, thanks for the correction. I think I must still be in denial that it’s not the same old Bioware I grew up with (sniff).

14. Coins says:

I’m conflicted. On one hand, competition is good. However, EA doesn’t have a great track record of treating their costumers fair. Steam dominates, and they have to make everything perfectly right in Origin to have long-lasting success. What will happen with Origin when BF3 is forgotten?

Also, they didn’t start this off great, did they? Lying about their reason from pulling their games off Steam doesn’t exactly inspire confidence for the future.

• Calneon says:

How did they lie? AFAIK their reason was because they wanted control over how they sold DLC, it wasn’t all the details, but it wasn’t a lie.

• Spatula says:

lying by omission is still lying.

• Sassenach says:

The thing about monopolies is they work best for enforcing exploitative terms when they control necessities. Outside of hyperbole, I’m fairly certain computer games don’t qualify as necessities. For that reason I don’t really fear Steams potential to be awful in future very much, althought I recognise it’s plausibility, and it weighs little in comparison with my preference not to encourage Origin in it’s present state.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any thoughts on the plausibility of a unified format for the social network and content libraries so that alternative clients might access the same social networks and ownership information. Really, I just don’t want to run multiple versions of steam owned by various companies.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Mass Effect 3 happens.

That Star Wars game happens.

The Sims 4 Happens.

Plenty of big titles that will send people that way.

15. McDan says:

Don’t know about anyone else, but I bloody hate those shoe shops! Not really, I don’t care about them, but this is a shame, I wanted to play it easily without getting any other thing, but it seems such days are long past.

16. LegionUK says:

17. Milky1985 says:

Nadeo recently came out and explain there reasons in full for not releasing on steam, there was no bland statements, nothign overeaching and it all made sense. Most of all they were honest and said “yes we want to link everything to maniaplanet”. As such I am still likely to get trackmania 2 (and have started playing nations again……. that game hates me :P)

EA are still using bland overreaching statements, drip feeding information everyone guessed a while ago and are generally being silly (the next rumor from the alpha/beta players is that it does actually have to run in the background while the game is running, something all the supporters are saying origin is better than steam for because you don’t need it, personally i don’t give a crap about that, at least it sits in the process list not like blizzards behind the scene stuff).

Does this also mean you must activate online before you can play then if you must use origin?

Unfortantly even if i wanted BF3 for PC (currently I kinda do, but nto while this is going on , they can wait a bit to get my hard earned bash) i cannot currently get it, being a poor XP user with no DX10.

18. Justin Keverne says:

Wasn’t going to buy it before, still not going to buy it. Wish EA would be a little more upfront about this, can we assume that Mass Effect 3 is going to require Origin too? What are the odds that BioWare Social Network is going to be integrated with Origin?

• acidtestportfolio says:

selling the dlc through origin would be a good thing in this case

attempting to buy dlc for mass effect 2 (a.k.a. commander shepard’s space adventure/sleep aid) was a complete and utter nightmare that had little benefit

• Justin Keverne says:

I get the impression we played two completely different games.

• Nalano says:

I bought ME2 DLC successfully through Bioware’s site, tho my Steam version of ME2 had some real issues with its EA Online logins to register them all. And I don’t blame Valve for that.

• Magnetude says:

Yep, it’s fair to assume all future EA games and many existing ones will be Origin exclusive. BF3 is the title they’re hoping to achieve a critical mass of users with, like HL2 for Steam.

I don’t like people who are sneaky.

19. bjohndooh says:

do not want.

in fairness though I was already pretty much decided to pass on the PC version.
    if anything i’ll just rent it for the 360 so I can give a whirl.

20. ResonanceCascade says:

If I really wanted the game, this wouldn’t be a big deal. But since this is the kind of thing I’d generally only buy during a Steam sale, looks like I’ll be skipping this one. Oh well.

21. Moni says:

Fair enough.

Well played EA.

22. Rirse says:

No Steam, No Sale

23. thepaleking says:

Oh gee now I can’t buy yet another “pseudo-realistic war in a modern setting” game. What a horrible curse this is.

• Lev Astov says:

This one has tanks, which is all anyone really needs in a game. Unless they gimp them horribly like they did in BFBC2, though, so yeah.

• Brise Bonbons says:

But Söldner has so many more tanks! And I’m only sort of joking, I got pretty giddy when I saw some of the bizarro old Russian vehicles in that game. I have a feeling BF3 will have your T-90s, your M1s, and if we’re really lucky, we’ll get a Challenger 2 for the team with the bad British accents.

If I’m going to be choosing between one or two tanks, then just give me Red Orchestra 2. Well, maybe I’m just much more excited for that game…

Dunno, I might be selling BF3 short, perhaps it will have a more substantial armored vehicle selection this time around. Either way, I’ve just never been a fan of the series, and haven’t seen anything out of BF3 to catch my interest. I’ll certainly consider it if gamers say good things when it comes out, though – while I think the whole Origin fiasco is stupid and a blatant marketing scheme, I don’t think it’s so onerous that I’m not willing to buy the game if it’s quality. Just doesn’t seem like that sort of deal breaker to me.

Daiv says:

Given how fast EA like to turn off what other companies call “long term support”, I wonder what the chances of Origin’s servers being turned off are.

Or, if I put on my uber-cynical hat, will EA start deactivating my single-player games like they do with multiplayer servers?

• Calneon says:

EA Download Manager has always been around in some form or another. Origin is just another form of that.

• diamondmx says:

This is actually my biggest concern.
      EA is quite willing to cripple 2 year old games – this would put even the single player features at risk of being considered too old to be worth allowing.
      Valve has a whole different attitude to long term support – they seem to be embracing the long-tail sales.

drewski says:

I can’t imagine them turning off something as simple as authentication servers, which is essentially all Origin will be for single player games.

• TormDK says:

Do you people never read the EULA’s of the software you purchase licenses for? Whatever gave you the idea that the product is yours to do with as you please?

25. Kolchak says:

Well I am a big Steam Fanboy and well I’m not happy to hear that I’ll need a second DRM program in addition to Steam. But at the same time as long as it’s a decently coded program that doesn’t steal resources I’ll be ok.

I hope Origin can be more seamless though. Less like Steam and more like Battle.net in Starcraft 2.

26. tstapp1026 says:

This one is easy. I’ll go into “thatguy” mode here and shout from the limb I’m on:

“F*ck EA!”

Meh… that didn’t feel as good as I hoped it would.
    I’m done with EA and their DRM silliness, so there’s no way I’ll bother with this.

27. CMaster says:

“This admission by EA probably goes some way to explaining why the game won’t appear on Steam, because it would basically entail two Steam-like systems being folded around the game,” – but we already have that with GfWL games on Steam. Hell, DOW2 in some kind of senseless madness actually requires both.

28. Miodrag Kovachevic says:

I don’t see this as a bad thing. Valve did the same with their games, so it would be a tad hypocritical if I bashed this while having Steam in my tray bar.

That said, if they just wanted to move all of their stuff to Steam, why bother bashing it as some Draconian scheme which robs publishers and developers? (Well, obviously we all know why they’d do that, but that’s just not nice.)

• Zyrxil says:

We let Valve get away with it because they took a big risk in pioneering the digital distribution marketplace, and they already had a lot of Goodwill banked.

drewski says:

“We” let Valve get away with it for the same reason “we” will let EA get away with it.

“We” really like videogames.

• TormDK says:

Agreed.

And do note that EA is into casual gaming, so no matter what we say or do Origins will become a huge success.

Which I have no problems with, the PC diehards have to learn the hard way that they are a minority.

29. Deadpool46 says:

mmmmm not sure on this one. Was really angry at first, because I want all my games on Steam.

But the fact that EA is fighting over PC games is at least a positive. Better than what Ubisoft is doing, which is just treating PC customers with utter disdain.

Also, Origin isn’t offensive to use. Clearly way behind Steam, but if BF3 is awesome I can leave with using their service.

My only problem with EA is their track record. They’ve made some crazy decisions in the past (like with Spore’s DRM). Whereas Valve has always done good by it’s customers in my eyes.

I just hope BF3 is great. That’s the most important thing.

30. akeso4 says:

What about the other rumors that the reason games were pulled from Steam is that E.A. wanted access to the contact emails of individuals who bought the game from Steam?
    Word is that’s the restrictive ability to interact with consumers and yet no one is saying one way or another.

31. Nalano says:

Was this ever in doubt?

32. deejayem says:

DOWN WIV SHOESHOPS

33. Lev Astov says:

I got to play around with Origin a bit, and while it’s got some nice polish, and maybe a few major selling point in terms of usability and flare (background loading of games), the fact that EA, a publisher, sells their own games on their own download service is a HUUUUUGE conflict of interest. They can’t even discount the games they sell because it would be undermining their distributors! Fail, EA, major fail.

• Gnarf says:

EA selling EA games is a huge conflict of interest compared to Valve selling EA games while also selling competing Valve games? Or just like in general huge?

34. chiablo says:

I was in the alpha, and the game is almost indistinguishable from Bad Company 2. It’s less of a full release and more of an expansion or quick sequel.

Just like Counterstrike Source was the trial for Steam before Half Life 2 came out, I think the same thing is happening here. BF3 is the Origin trial before The Old Republic unleashes the Kraken!

35. Lifebleeder says:

After trying Origin with the BF3 Alpha, it’s a resource hog, it’s ugly, and I don’t want it. Before anyone goes “butomigosh it was just an alpha!” I’m talking strictly about Origin and how it interacts with the games, not the games themselves. I’ve always been a fan of the Battlefield franchise, shying away from the more popular Call of Duty franchise, but when this news hit on the 9th, the next day I my pre-order switched.

• JayTee says:

I’m confused as to what Origin actually did for me in the alpha. The webbased portal thing that you played the game through seemed to do everything, including patching, Origin just sat there and got in the way.

36. zeroskill says:

I wasnt interested in this since they announced they wont release mod-tool and want to milk their fanbase with payed DLC. This dosnt come as a surprise to me. It will make milking so much easier for them. Im just a bit sad DICE had to agree to the EA way. They used to be a great developer with a strong modding community. Well played EA indeed.

37. I4C says:

I don’t see anything wrong with this.

I need to have steam in order to play Portal 2.

I need origin in order to play BF3.

In reality i am happy with companies trying to bring competition, instead of Valve monopolizing and shaping the pc, valve have already done way too much damage to the PC, they are like the M$ of operating systems, except they use $team.

I will just give some examples, before valve fanboys start foaming:

1They are forcing people to use their terrible steam drm for games that aren’t even theirs like Just cause 2 and others
    even if u buy them at greenmangaming,gamersgate etc
    2All the games sold on their store, you have to put up with the draconian steam drm if u want to play them.
    3They have brainwashed a lot of people into the “all the games i buy need to be on steam”
    4As a monopoly they decline great games, just cause they sell bad on XBLIG, or really awful reasons, making those games much less viable in the pc market, hence hurting us, this is a result of step 3

• Nalano says:

Because I don’t want GfWL, Steam, Origin, Social Club, BattleNet 2.0 and god knows how many other platforms constantly clogging up my computer phoning home.

You can buy from Fry’s and you can buy from Best Buy, but they don’t all install kiosks in your foyer. It’d get crowded after a while.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

“Steam are really hurting the pc, before steam came along pc was the main platform and now it is what it is…. sad times.”

Are you insane or just really stupid? The PC was already not the main platform when Steam came out and they have only HELPED the PC market.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

Yes Nalano, but why should EA just give up that digital market without a fight? Why should they just accept the situation as it is and carry on giving away a chunk of their own profit to Valve for every digital sale?

Why shouldn’t they seek to maximise their profits? Makes sense really.

In all these threads on RPS over the last couple of months, I haven’t seen a single argument for why EA shouldn’t do this. All I’ve heard is ‘but…I want to have all my games in a nice Steam list by itself!’ ‘Even if it means these games’ publishers have to give away a chunk of their profits to Valve all the time!’ ‘I don’t care, I just want everything on Steam…because….just BECAUSE!’

Sorry, but that’s a completely farcical argument with no basis in reality.

• Nalano says:

“I haven’t seen a single argument for why EA shouldn’t do this.”

It’s hard to read with your eyes closed.

But really, I don’t like the trend in the industry overall. I’d rather they divorced the service backend from the game itself. Package deals like this are, of course, monopoly-makers. Just because Valve did it doesn’t make it right.

• Advanced Assault Hippo says:

“It’s hard to read with your eyes closed”

Either that or I actually haven’t seen a proper argument against it. But please provide me with one if you think I’ve missed something.

Apart from the whole convenience/preference thing. Which is rather academic in this new digital age of gaming and not a reason for EA to desist.

• Harkkum says:

@Semi-aggressive Hippo

I recall this was an argument you did raise already earlier on. For a small market area like that of Finland, the more the companies are creating exclusive services on digital distribution the more I am effectively forced to pay from my games. I don’t have a chance to go to a multitude of different gaming stores that are competing with prices of popular games.

Certainly, I can still buy my boxed games from various internet services and reap the harvest of actual competition that exists abroad. However, I have no actual interest to buy boxed games and would much prefer digital distribution for environmental reasons alone. Hence, the fact that EA, Valve and Blizzard have created their own monopolies of digital distribution will effectively limit my chances of finding those special offers via digital distribution services.

After all, these monopolies also dictate prices across the field. I cannot find anyone from the internet to sell these games for a lower price, i.e., there is no competition. We can see that e.g. the price of FIFA football games or Starcraft 2 keeps on premium rate for ages and there is no competition. This is at least what I do oppose on digital distribution monopolies, regardless of whom creates such barriers. Hence, it is fairly irrelevant if this is what Valve has done or does as I do despise their monopoly in a similar fashion.

38. FleabagF7 says:

I trust Valve; I don’t trust EA. That’s why Steam is ok and Origin is not. I won’t be buying BF3 nor will I buy any other Origin exclusive product and I’m pretty disgusted this is the way things are going for the industry.

drewski says:

I love the logic. You’re so disgusted with the way the industry is going that you refuse to patronise any service other than the one which STARTED THE WHOLE THING.

• zeroskill says:

People have lerned to trust Valve in what they do because they offer a top notch service, treat their customers well and listen to the community. They deliver on the games front every single time and dont forget how important modding is to the PC. On the other hand, EA has earned alot of mistrust in the PC gaming community, at least the players that are around long enough to remember how many great studios EA destroyed, how they where catering towards the console market for ages and delivering half-arsed console port to the PC. They also restrict traditional PC developers from releasing modding tools, an integral aspect of the longevity of a game on the PC. They are doing the same thing now to DICE.

• Cyampagn says:

Well, one less fanboy polluting the servers from which is going to be another great game by DICE.
      You miss it.

PoulWrist says:

WHO CARES ? EXCEPT INANE FANBOYS?
    You sucked all the shit from steam, and now you want to hate EA for doing it? Why? Hypocrisy rules! “but steam is good” yes, but remember when the fucking thing gave you BSODs, hogged all your fucking RAM, crashed, used up loads of system resources for no reason, was REQUIRED for games!!!!!! And in general was a fucking pain?

You sucked that up in order to enjoy a different, good product. But now you won’t suck this shit up? Well, then stop fucking bitching, your righteous cause is not righteous, and you only come off as a whiny little bitch.

• acidtestportfolio says:

whoah, don’t cut yourself on that edge denis leary

• zeroskill says:

I never knew RPS readers where so eloquent.

• Nalano says:

ANGER RAGE

• Whosi says:

“…and you only come off as a whiny little bitch.”

Wow, you hit the nail on the head…just read what this guy just wrote:

“WHO CARES ? EXCEPT INANE FANBOYS?

You, sir, must be psychic.

• Magnetude says:

FUCK

• Nick says:

I don’t remember when any of those things happened, as they never happened to me. I do remember it being a pita to download and update itself though, back on dialup.

I also remember EA downloader being the biggest piece of shit ever.

40. Lord Byte says:

Won’t buy it. I’ve had two before (Impulse and Steam) and basically ignored Impulse, it was just there to annoy and waste resources, gog.com now fills that hole (NO CLIENT YAJ!), so between Steam and Gog I’ll have enough :)

41. Was Neurotic says:

Origin’s fine, it’s absolutely no problem at all. If you have any kind of EA login/pw then you’re already set. You don’t even need to have Origin running to play a game associated with it, but if you do you get access to the whole Steam-style in-game UI. Which is totally optional. Jesus Christ people, it’s not like you have to plug your first born child into the phone socket to play BF3.

• acidtestportfolio says:

but plugging a child into the phone socket is what the best babysitters do

• Aemony says:

Not according to the beta/alpha testers. It sounds as if running Origin in the background will be mandatory to be able to play BF3, similar to what you’re forced to do with Steam.

I’m all for having Origin as a secondary run-download-remove download client for my retail bought game, but I’m not interesting in having a secondary Steam running on my system. Steam is, by far, enough.

42. lijenstina says:

The Origin of the Feces: I Know You’re F*cking Someone Else

Was a good song by Type O Negative .

43. Ultra-Humanite says:

To be honest, I was leaning towards Modern Warfare 3 anyway. Thanks for making my decision easy, EA!

44. markcocjin says:

Dear Jim Rossignol,

A few months ago, a bunch of boring men in boring suits sat down on a meeting to discuss the fall of their brick and mortar business of selling games. Consoles are taken over by more powerful portables and the lie that PC was dying is slowly losing its effect on the millions upon millions of customers.

“I will call up Gabe,” Riticello says taking out his phone, “let us test these waters by scheduling an EA week on their Steam thing.”

The week passed and they stared at the Steam metrics go crazy like a continuous earthquake made up of aftershocks that never ended. Mr. Riticello sank down to his seat made of a hundred neckbeard foreskins donated after circumcision.

“It is done then… Newell will never know what hit him. Gather up our best developers. I’m sure we’ve softened them up with our friendship program. They’re nothing without us even with their cute little titles. They are in no position to deny us.”

Another suit spoke up concerned. “What of the customers sir? We are going to meet some resistance.”

“Of course not. This industry has as short attention span as they do memory. We will give out a press release before Valve could react. Pre-emptive strike the American way. They will run to our side as they remember the recent games they loved us for. Inform our PR consultants that we’ll need people on the threads. Let us cash in thisssssssssss…. good favor we’ve been harvesting.”

In Valve offices, Gabe gets a call. After a brief moment, he looks at the game prototypes he has yet to review on his screen.

“Do what you have to do. We’ll focus on getting out the content we’ve been working on. No comments are necessary. We have more important things to worry about.”

45. magnus says:

So if this situation continues and other publishers develop their own Steam/Origin type client ,how long is it going to be until you need to have at least 5 different clients installed to download anything?

• ArtVandelay says:

Not long. I already have Steam, Origin, Games for Windows Marketplace and GoG download applications on my PC. For the most part they all work fine (haven’t had any crashes/bugs with any) and are small enough programs. The strange part is only one require that I launch it first in order to play a game.

Spork says:

I’ve no problem with this, so long as it works. I considered buying it from Origin until I saw they were charging £10 more than Amazon.
    Not sure how that works when they’re only adding a few bits of dlc.

47. mehteh says:

It already plays like BC3 more than a true BF2 successor so Origin as a requirement makes this a solid case for to never buy it.

• MisterT says:

high damage an suppression make a huge differenct.
      and the G3 with ACOG was exaclty like a BAUR H-AR from 2142, aka the balanced, future version of BF2.

48. patricij says:

What a shame…

49. kikito says:

I bet the pirate version doesn’t require origin

• ArtVandelay says:

I bet the pirate version doesn’t allow you to play online, but that’s okay since Battlefield has always been about their strong single player campaigns.

• Harkkum says:

This pirate-logic is the logic of sillyness. The option is to buy or not to buy instead of to buy or to pirate. Ferrari comes with Pirelli tires! I betcha they will moan and bitch when I steal their Ferrari and run it with Bridgestone!

50. ArtVandelay says:

I used Origin to register the copy BFBC2 that I bought on Steam and am very pleased with it. Now I don’t have to launch Steam or Origin to play the game. It really works nicely. I guess if I wanted to I could launch Steam separately before BFBC2 but I see no advantage in doing this.

As long as the BF3 is being sold in various retail distributors and download services I have no issues with this.