Trackmania 2 Will Not Contain UbiDRM

By Jim Rossignol on August 12th, 2011 at 4:23 pm.

Cars!
We’ve just had word from the electronic beak of Ubisoft. It says: “You’ll need to register online once when you install the game. You’ll then be able to play without an online connection.” So there you have it: Trackmania 2 is free from always-on tyranny! The game is out on the 14th. I am gonna race so fast.

Anyone else got any exciting DRM news? I’m all out.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gunsmith says:

i wish they’d make up thier minds regarding this drm shit.

but im glad its not there.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

My thoughts exactly. Is this some kind of marketing ploy to ensure that even people who loathe their policies have to keep up with Ubisoft’s products?

2. Gunrun says:

I don’t believe it. Ubisoft has a track record of lying.
    edit: Maybe even a Platinum medal for lying

• Sheng-ji says:

Yup, plenty of time to go back on this yet

• MisterT says:

I’m sorry for them, because I don’t want a single cent of my money to go near ubisoft, thus I will have to pass on this game.

• Duoae says:

Gotta agree with this. Anyone who isn’t expecting a delay to the release, inclusion of “always on” DRM and an increase in price is just living in some sort of fantasy land where Ubisoft actually likes its customers…

• paterah says:

?
      I’ve never had any problems with Trackmania at all which is probably Ubi’s most flawless release. I expect to be the same with Trackmania 2.

• ShadyGuy says:

@paterah: I guess you don’t remember then that the retail version of Trackmania came along with the much villified Starforce DRM?

• Delusibeta says:

And also that TrackMania 2 will be Ubisoft’s first PC TrackMania release (they *might* have published TrackMania Turbo on the DS, but then again that’s Firebrand, not Nadeo).

3. DK says:

Yeah it’s not there. Right, Ubisoft. Just like Driver is not gonna get delayed.

Why the hell would you believe a word Ubisoft types?

4. sneetch says:

So they’re going to continue bringing out mainly multiplayer games that you don’t *have* to be be online to play and mainly singleplayer games that you *do*? Wow, what an amazing shock!
    My boycott of all things Ubisoft shall continue until they abandon the always on DRM crap for good. Pity, there have been a few good ones I’d have liked.

5. Wizardry says:

Registering online after installing the game sounds like DRM to me.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, but the specific reference is to “always on” connection-requiring DRM. Do keep up.

• woodsey says:

Its what you’d call standard DRM though, not the retarded UbiDRM.

• Wizardry says:

It’s hard to “keep up” with all these terms flying around. UbiDRM sounds to me like Ubisoft DRM. DRM in Ubisoft published games. As Trackmania 2 is published by Ubisoft and it has DRM then surely that means the definition of UbiDRM has widened or, if the trend continues, changed?

• IDtenT says:

Interesting take Wizardry. Maybe that’s exactly Ubisoft’s plans.

It’s a known business practice for someone heading a boardroom, cabinet or anything else where there is a requirement for a leader guy, for said leader guy to propose ludicrous legislation in a certain direction. The trick comes in that the leader guy might not even believe in the legislation he proposes, but it gives an extreme point from which can be negotiated to get what he wants. In this way the rest of the group negotiates towards a less draconian measure, with the result that everyone is happy even if the actual legislation is not in the group’s favour, but in fact the leadership’s (and might even be what they were hoping for all along).

In this case the leader would be Ubisoft and we, the consumer, are the group being negotiated with. Ubisoft proposes always-on DRM, but when they release their game with just run-of-the-mill DRM we celebrate as if it was DRM free. Victory Ubisoft.

• Wizardry says:

@IDtenT: Sounds like the story of modern gaming.

6. Dana says:

But Driver 5 will. MAKES SENSE.

7. skinlo says:

Its probably because this is only coming out for PC.Pirates won’t be taking away sales from the console version.

• TheLordHimself says:

Might also because Nadeo is aware of the bad feeling towards the DRM situation and have managed to prevent it being put into their game…

• Urthman says:

They got lots of bad publicity over including Starforce when you installed the free version of Trackmania Nations.

8. ZIGS says:

I totally read that as “always-on tranny”. I, huh… *clears throat* I’m gonna be off now

9. phenom_x8 says:

A little bit of good news at least, guys! I’ve been tired by the media regarding to Ubisoft DRM and delay,EA vs VALVE, SCrolls vd Elders and blizzard always online news recently! Cheers up with this!

10. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

If they make box-art, it should say: “SPECIAL! Does not use Ubisoft DRM Software!”

11. PetiteGreve says:

Yet another lie by Ubisoft.
    We can’t trust them, they’ll delay the game and add the always-on DRM at the last minute and pretend it’s nothing.
    I’ll wait a week or two after release to start reading about it, Ubisoft no longer have any form of honesty, they’re just a bunch of… pirates.
    A bunch of pirates waving the flag of “PC Games” to attract honest gamers, then when you get closer they board your ship and fire a DRM flintlock pistol at your face, while stabbing you with a delay-saber in the stomach (+ kidnapping and raping IPs).

12. Rii says:

Nah fuck off Ubisoft.

13. westyfield says:

It’s gonna be delayed. Gonna be delayed so hard.
    Mark my words, RPS. If this game isn’t delayed, I will drink my own beer.

14. Lev Astov says:

Knowing Nadeo and Trackmania, I actually believe this. Trackmania Sunrise was one of my favorite games to play during class in college. I’ll surely pick this one up for some continuation of that fun, so long as what is said about the DRM is true.

15. Vagrant says:

Can’t wait for the announcement tomorrow that the game got delayed so they can start development of a console version to release first.

16. obvioustroll says:

On the 14th?

Sweet, 2 days to go!

17. Ham Solo says:

I’ll buy that one, too. DRIVE AAALLL THE TRACKMANIAS!!

18. DemonClaw says:

I actually almost wanted to back away from buying this game since noticed Ubisoft was publisher even though am looking forward to this, but dunno, probably will get it since it’s trackmania (think only game i’ve gotten since started this ubidrm is RUSE, mainly since it had no drm).

19. Calabi says:

Its gotta be a bait and switch trick, why would they announce it isnt going to have drm if it wasnt?

Its going to have the worst drm, ever, ever!!

20. AngryBadger says:

This is great news, I loved the last TM and will be picking up this one as long as Ubisoft are true to their word.

21. Stephen Roberts says:

Can those of you that are fans of Trackmania but so distrustful of Ubisoft as to actually not play the game please write a letter to Ubisoft telling them about it? It helps if you are polite too.

Words on paper are more real than on the Internet, which is crazy.

22. Kefren says:

“You’ll need to register online once when you install the game.”

In that case no sale. Just because they pulled back on ultra-DRM doesn’t mean this bollocks is acceptable. I’ll stick to my original Trackmania – I have another 45,342 tracks to create with the tools in that before I get bored.

23. Lexino says:

All Trackmania games always required you to register an account if you want to play online. Even with an online account, you can play offline if you have no connection. so no difference in Trackmania 2.

Be grateful that you just need to register an account, it could be alot worse – it could have limited activations and always-on drm.

I know Ubisoft has a bad history with DRM and publictiy, but I do think TM2 will have no always-on drm.

24. bwion says:

Predicted follow-up stories:

Ubisoft: “Trackmania 2 will in fact contain always-on DRM.”

Ubisoft: “Trackmania 2 will be delayed.”

Ubisoft: “Trackmania 2? What’s that? Seriously, we’ve never heard of this game.”

Ubisoft: “WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE? WHY DO YOU KEEP CALLING ME! WE SELL FRUIT, NOT COMPUTER GAMES! QUIT BOTHERING ME!”

25. JB says:

“The game is out on the 14th”

Aaah, but is it? Is it though?*

*Probably not, no.

26. Navagon says:

It’s Ubisoft. They’ll find some way of buggering it up. Like releasing only retail copies of the game with IEDs that explode in your face when you open the box.

27. Zeewolf says:

I’m happy about this. It’s a game I would have bought regardless, because it’s TrackMania 2 and that basically means it’s going to be this year’s GOTY, but I’m glad I can now buy it with a clean conscience.

28. Andrigaar says:

HA! Like I’ll ever trust Ubisoft’s press releases again.

29. StuffedCabbage says:

Headline should read… “Trackmania 2 Will Not Contain UbiDRM Until Informed Otherwise 2 Days After The Delayed Release.” That sounds more like a Ubisoft announcement.

30. slosha says:

If anyone hasn’t caught on, they only put the always-on DRM on their AAA titles. Notice how R.U.S.E. doesn’t require it.

31. terry says:

Looking forward to the release delay!

32. rocketman71 says:

Thanks be given to the almighty. At least Trackmania will keep being untarnished by the fuckers of Ubi. For now.

To the preorder!!!

33. Iskariot says:

Ubisoft’s policies on DRM are starting to confuse me.
    Is there any word on Assassin’s Creed 4′s DRM?
    (And yes… I call it 4 because it is in fact the fourth AC game).

34. MythArcana says:

Yeah, but Heroes VI has the dreaded Draconian Cable Modem Clusterfuck…so UbiSuck isn’t off the hook quite yet.