Happy Mondays: Super Monday Night Combat

By Adam Smith on August 25th, 2011 at 4:34 pm.

This is just super
EDIT: Now with trailer!

Monday Night Combat is getting a sequel and it’s going to be super. How do I know? Because that’s its name. Super Monday Night Combat. Uber Entertainment are looking to go up against League of Legends and DOTA 2, emphasising the game’s roots. Most pleasing of all, it will be free to play. That means, for now, it’ll only be on PC because Sony and Microsoft simply won’t allow such generosity on their stationboxes. The release date is as vague as “the next few months” but some details are already available. Overall, Uber are looking to slow the game down, giving players more time to think and plot strategies. All sounds good and as soon as we know more, you’ll know more. Click for trailer and pics of the three new characters.

Meet Combatgirl and her cheeky grin

Meet the Gunslinger and her guns

Meet the Veteran and his cleavage

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Farkeman says:

do I see outdoor maps ?

2. YeOldeSnake says:

And this is a big “Screw You” to people who purchased the original , just like the new Blacklight game.

• Koozer says:

You paid for a game, you got a game.

Hideous says:

Is Portal 2 a ‘screw you’ to the fans of Portal 1? Is Team Fortress 2 a ‘screw you’ to the fans of TFC?

I don’t see how a sequel is a screw you to anyone.

• Sir_Oddington says:

Could you elaborate?

As far as I’m concerned they supported the original well and now they’re expanding on the concept to create something different which will cost you no pennies. I for one look forward to hearing more about it.

• kwyjibo says:

Anyone who bought Blacklight deserves to get screwed. How did you possibly think it could pull together a self sustaining community?

• tenseiga says:

^
      Same reason people were all upset because of L4D2 being so quick after L4D. It fragments the community, and considering this is free and (i am assuming, its a sequel) better so it will take a majority of the community along with it. Development of the older game stops, servers disappear. And since its a multiplayer centric game its naturally worthless.

• _PixelNinja says:

As an owner of the original Monday Night Combat, I do not perceive this personally as a ‘Screw You’. However, reading the the dedicated article over at Kotaku in which it is suggested that SMNC will render MNC ‘obsolete’ is kind of worrisome — I hope they are not planning to simply abandon the first game… Being a multi-player game that would basically kill it : (

• tenseiga says:

Also note, the game was released 1 year ago on the xbox and in jan this year on the PC. If the game fragments the previous game its nothing short of unforgivable.

• Plivesey says:

With regards to us that already own MNC, “You’ll get exclusive content that nobody else can get.” Not too shabby, seeing as it’s essentially the same game, better balance etc., and we get some free stuff to boot.

• jonfitt says:

I see this as only a good thing for fans of MNC. Minor League Multiplayer games should ALL GO FREE TO PLAY. There is nothing worse than having an excellent game like MNC, Section8, or a good one like Shattered Horizon or Lead and Gold die through lack of players.
      Going F2P will ensure lovers of these games can find a full server full.

• Commisar says:

not really, i enjoy MNC and will probably enjoy super MNC, Plus I got the original for $10

• Pointless Puppies says:

Considering how the original has had a constantly declining playerbase the last few months, I really don’t see how veteran MNC players will consider this a “screw you” just by being free.

• PodX140 says:

I don’t see how this could be interpreted as a screw you. Are they asking for more money of yours? No. Did you possibly buy this hours before this was announced? Possibly, but who cares? It may be bad luck, but you still supported a developer who will use that money to fund the new game, and when that comes out simply switch over, since, you know, ITS FREE.

• elnalter says:

I plan my revenge every night against squaresoft for releasing all those final fantasies ever since the day I purchased final fantasy for nes. it’s perfectly normal!

• smartalco says:

TF2 going free was the big screw-you to MNC.

• sd4f says:

I wouldn’t say it’s a big screw you as such, but it really is just giving up from uber, MNC is a great game, and i enjoy playing it a lot more than TF2 (stupid items ruin it for me).

What i think uber should do then is make it a patch/update for the original, the problem with MNC is dwindling player base, when there’s people playing, it’s lots of fun, but unlike tf2, i just can’t find a server with any people in it, most of the time.

• Balobam says:

I don’t even

3. Aedrill says:

I’m sorry for offtopic but this is more than interesting:
    PR: ArmA 2 is coming! They’re starting with beta test soon. I don’t know about you but I’m excited as hell.

4. Jhoosier says:

I never played the original. What am I missing?

• _PixelNinja says:

A whole lotta fun!

• Pointless Puppies says:

A stalemate-fest. I loved the concept but players were bullet sponges, nothing ever got done, and victories were hollow with the winner being determined by a last-picosecond push for the opposing team’s money ball.

• Plivesey says:

Played MNC for ages, loved it completely. The only thing it lacked really was enough people playing it! That, and some slight balance issues!

• LionsPhil says:

An obnoxiously styled class-based shooter that wants to copy TF2’s sense of humour but misses by a mile. The free weekend was enough to make me want to drive my mouse through my eardrums to stop having to hear the WACKY ITALIAN engineer/medic class say another word.

Also the gameplay is pretty tedious, from what I can recall.

5. Iwashi says:

First I was thinking they screwed us over (us, meaning those who payed for the first game) then I read that it will be free so I’m actually looking forward to it.

• Plivesey says:

Us veterans also get some free goodies: “You’ll get exclusive content that nobody else can get.”

6. edgeblend says:

The bottom character picture should be positioned to the right of the top character picture, hilarity ensues!

7. Pointless Puppies says:

If they can fix the horrid issues (turtling and then last-second rushing being a fail-safe strategy, assassins being far too ‘independent’ for a class-based game, snipers being entirely overpowered, players having too much health resulting in bullet-sponge enemies) it’ll be a great sequel. I remember when the PC version was released there were tweaks after tweaks of character balancing, but somewhere along the way they simply gave up and left the game as-is.

8. Plivesey says:

I am so glad to read that they’ve removed the Overtime! As much as I enjoyed MNC, I felt that winning during overtime after a ridiculously close match ruined part of the fun and was pretty cheap.

Looking forward to this very much, and cannot wait to see what happens to my beloved Assassin!

9. by.a.teammate says:

Do her breasts need to be that huge?

• UnravThreads says:

Uber’s art style is generally one of exaggeration and unrealistic proportions. If you look at, say, that bottom male character, he’s absolutely huge. No-one is like that in real life.

The… Uh.. I forget the character’s name, but the Ninja-esque character in MNC was well proportioned. Pit-Girl, who shares some very striking similarities with the above ‘Combatgirl’, seemed to be a bit of a spoof of the cheerleader stereotype, i.e. big boobs and minimalistic clothing, but is in fact insanely intelligent and resourceful.

I wouldn’t worry if I were you.

• _PixelNinja says:

Combat Girl is Pit Girl — well a clone. And the ‘ninja-esque character’ you refer to is the Assassin, good sir.

Keymonk says:

It’s worth mentioning that the setting actually sort of makes an excuse for it. They -are- all clones made out of the best genes, as it were, and it’s a gameshow, so it’d make sense in-universe they’d make the women attractive (sex sells as they say).

• MOARGAN says:

What kinda question is that?

10. cithen says:

It does seem to be a slight to the Xbox360 community. They haven’t updated the original game in a long time whereas the PC version has been. Now, the 360 community doesn’t even get a release of the new game. I would be willing to shell out 10 bucks for this.

• Koozer says:

I would blame Microsoft charging for every patch, and not willing to allow free to play games.

11. skyturnedred says:

I actually liked the tutorial missions more than the actual game. Single-player third person tower defence, quite fun actually.

• UnravThreads says:

Agreed. I went online with it and it was insanely frantic and dropped my frame rate a bit, but I loved single-player.

I’d hope that this next game is a bit more transparent in what various things are and what they do (In terms of the menus, anyway. I found it a bit confusing if I’m honest).

12. RMPR says:

@by.a.teammate — I believe they are made from Kevlar, very handy on the battlefield.

13. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Every game needs a love gun and a hate gun.

shoptroll says:

That was unexpected. I heard they were working on an overhaul of MNC, didn’t think it’d be a new title!

EDIT: More importantly, does it include Smash MNC?

15. sana says:

What’s the big problem with game characters having big breasts? Every time there’s a screenshot of an in-game female somewhere the RPS commenters become outraged about how shameless the existence of tits is. She’s not even showing a cleavage, people! There’s girls with big breasts in real life too, you know! Do you shun them too?

Keymonk says:

A bit disappointing that it’ll be even more DotA-esque. I do not like DotA. I did enjoy MNC. This does not bode well, but I’ll wait and see. I did enjoy the game after all.

17. UnravThreads says:

I just noticed something. In the trailer, the Gunslinger is *clearly* female, but the hover text on the Gunslinger image in the post says “his guns”.

Me thinks it needs correcting.

18. Oak says:

Shouldn’t they have called it Tuesday Night Combat?

19. jacobvandy says:

Holy crap, that video makes my ears bleed… Why would you post that instead of a clean-sounding one like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=319RXdha-Ig

20. Bungle says:

Uber Entertainment has a proper trailer up on their YouTube page now. The one linked to in the article looks and sounds like crap.

21. blackjackshelak says:

Maybe this is just my years of familiarity with the various products of Japan, but CombatGirl’s breasts don’t seem “abnormally” large to me. I’ve seen plenty of people in real life with similarly sized chest mounds, and I think there may just be a little bit of kneejerking going on in here. They certainly don’t appear disproportionate to her frame at any rate, and they’re far from the “impractical for combat” or “why can’t I see my feet?” size that I expect before a character starts receiving these sorts of comments. For that matter, the clothing covering them is neither failing in that job, nor magically revealing a perfect outline of what lies underneath. She could probably do with a bit of kneejerking herself though, her posture is absolutely terrible. I apologize for dragging us any further off topic, but I must oppose any sort of jerking involving the character in question, and I simply couldn’t remain silent on the subject.

22. Wozzle says:

“DEEP METAGAME!”

How can you advertise that…?

23. Tatourmi says:

I am sort of sad that they abandoned the “future sports” aesthetic of the first game, which I found really amazing, but then again, I won’t get this and I didn’t buy the last one because of the game type, so yeah…

24. rolerton says:

This game would be actually be so much better if the Happy Mondays did the soundtrack.