Tribes Ascends Into Beta Next Month

By Alec Meer on October 10th, 2011 at 9:33 am.

Shoot him in the wings!

The jetpack-powered online shooter everybody’s not calling Tribes Not-Four is, of course, now in the hands of Global Agenda devs HiRez. The vast-levelled reboot/remake was at one point theoretically due for a beta in September, but now we have a minor delay but a hard date: November 4 (according to this interview between Cyberlink and HiRez bigwig Todd Harris). That’s when we’ll get our first solid hint as to whether Tribes: Ascend lives up to its forefather’s great land and sky legacy.

You can sign up yourself here, then cross your armoured fingers that you’ll be one of the chosen. If you are, you’ll get to fiddle with and on four multiplayer maps, two game modes and three vehicles, with the game supporting up to 32 players and offering 12 unlockable classes.

Meantime, you could read our preview of T:A here. Or/and watch this:

Those are some big guns.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Farkeman says:

November ? the month when we get all the shiny … :(
    Still , there’s always time for new Tribes game !

2. baby snot says:

Are the platforms and ships in the sky solely decorative?

3. AngryBadger says:

Cannot wait, so tired of modern day shooters. I’m still sceptical of the free to play model but I am trying to keep an open mind.

4. Squishpoke says:

JIZZ MY PAINTS

5. Kdansky says:

The guns are a bit small. They barely cover half the screen. Clearly not enough.

• telpscorei says:

When I first glanced at that top screenshot, I thought the gun was a train coming out of the floating city behind it, and the player was waiting at some kind of futurisitc train station to get to his destination…

6. MuscleHorse says:

I clicked submit and it’s been ‘Processing’ for about five minutes. I’m scared if I try again I’ll flag myself as a spammer and not get into the beta :(

7. RuntsMcDuck says:

SKIING!
    Also, what happened to Tribes Vengeance? Does anyone stil play that?

8. Rymosrac says:

I’m more or less as excited about this as any Triber should be, but. . .

Is it just me, or does all the footage of this look REALLY REALLY slow compared to T1 /T2 / T:V?

9. Lim-Dul says:

Uuuhm… So, what will this game have over Section 8 that emulated this type of gameplay pretty well and introduced some more elements to it as well?

10. FalseMyrmidon says:

Hi-Rez ruined tribes. Tribes does not need TF2 style classes.

11. linmmgg1 says:

top the game top the items for gamethat there can help everybody play the game so easy,I hope everybody will like them very much,

12. NthDegree256 says:

Can’t wait. I played a round of this at PAX and I was so bad at it, but more importantly, so eager to practice and get better at it.

Also, I was pretty pleased about one of my flag-carrier chases, when I won it purely by out-skiing the other guy, catching up to him, and space-shotgunning him until he gave me my little colored bit of cloth back. What does he need it for? His team already has one.

13. DOLBYdigital says:

Cautiously optimistic and excited for this game… I mean it obviously won’t live up to my expectations of a Tribes game but understanding that going into the game helps soften the blow

14. Zulthar says:

Looks great but they SERIOUSLY need to make those guns smaller. It looks ridiculous.

Comment on this story