Nuclear Dawning For Free This Weekend

By Jim Rossignol on December 14th, 2011 at 11:43 am.

The delayed Nuclear Dawn free weekend will be upon us from tomorrow! Igor from InterWave sent us this message about the FPS-RTS hybrid’s exciting promotional event: “In preparation for the Free Weekend on Steam, running Thursday 15th through Monday 19th, InterWave has released their biggest update for Nuclear Dawn since its release in September. The patch brings the d├ębut of all-new features and a host of improvements, including new weapons and interactive single-player training.” He also says the game will be 40% off at $12.

Have a read of Dan’s take on the game from just after launch if you want to know a bit more about what you’d be getting yourself into.

, , .

1. SandmanXC says:

Is there a RPS server for this? It would be highly relevant to my interests.

2. airtekh says:

I think I might check this out.

From what I hear, Nuclear Dawn’s gameplay is similar enough to Natural Selection, which is one of my favourite games ever, so it can’t hurt to give it a shot.

3. Kollega says:

Will definitely be checking this out. I’ve been waiting for a decent FPS-RTS for far too long, and that might be it.

4. Dakia says:

Free weekend you say?

Count me in.

5. Ertard says:

I quite enjoyed it and can recommend it. Stopped playing kind of instantly when BF came though.

6. simoroth says:

This game must of been in development for ever. I have a guys demoreel saved on my old hardisk from 2004 with nuclear dawn stuff on it. …Interestingly, since then they seem to have reduced the quality of the assets (unless he cheekily bumped up the text res for his reel).

• simoroth says:

Its a shame they lost their art direction from earlier incarnations. I guess they had to throw away the unpaid stuff done by volenteers.

Seems production started as early as 2003.

• ethicks says:

They are using the source engine. The graphical fidelity can only get so good.

• Tei says:

ethicks: I am not a profesional game programmer, but doing some hack edits on the source code of quake1, I manage to get this visuals: winter fog, ambien water fog + blood pach.

I doubt you can’t spice up the lighting and particles of Source to make the game more living.

KindredPhantom says:

The footage is from Nuclear Dawn the mod, which is a different game from the Nuclear Dawn you see today. The original mod was in development from 2003 to 2008/9, I think, I don’t remember. Development on it ground to a halt and it looked like it would never see the light of day until Interwave approached the mod team and bought it off them, they then proceeded to start from scratch and use the concept and nothing from the original mod version.

7. BattleMage says:

Could be fun

8. KrashGooder says:

Woot woot! :D Can’t wait!